3Delight Useful Stuff?-Put It Here:)

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2021

lorraineopua said:

I'm busy following your Gamma Correction tutorial and my forehead is getting sore. But I'm persevering and I will conquer it.I don't think I'll use Uberenvironment in future but, because it takes foooooooooreeeeeeeever to render...I'm an impatient being. I'm also NOT looking forward to checking all the maps in my Corbie Holler opus as there's thousands...well, multiple hundreds at least.

Hello there , nice render;) Yes it's surprising that, even with new products, gamma values are all over the place more often than not, and worst of all, can vary between materials zones creating visible seams. But it is what it is, just a tedious task but not hard to fix.

UE2 IS slow. Period.  Better use the AoA ambient light for occlusion, and if you need environment mapping just add the UE2 in ambient mode with a skydome map or HDRI loaded into the light color slot. (Play with strength and saturation.)

Also, for your information, the aweSurface shader with scripted pathtracing is much much faster than the UE tech if you use one of the bounce light modes. Pair it with Omnifreaker's arealight and you're going to render for weeks...

On the other hand...Omnifreaker's UberSoft Lightkit is superb (but weird). I use it a lot when dabbling with animation, because it can create nice plausible soft lighting and my renders take 30-60 sec/frame in general on my pretty slow 2015 IMac. Well the result is far from photoreal but looks descent:)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Sven Dullah said:

Hello there , nice render;) Yes it's surprising that, even with new products, gamma values are all over the place more often than not, and worst of all, can vary between materials zones creating visible seams. But it is what it is, just a tedious task but not hard to fix.

UE2 IS slow. Period.  Better use the AoA ambient light for occlusion, and if you need environment mapping just add the UE2 in ambient mode with a skydome map or HDRI loaded into the light color slot. (Play with strength and saturation.)

Also, for your information, the aweSurface shader with scripted pathtracing is much much faster than the UE tech if you use one of the bounce light modes. Pair it with Omnifreaker's arealight and you're going to render for weeks...

On the other hand...Omnifreaker's UberSoft Lightkit is superb (but weird). I use it a lot when dabbling with animation, because it can create nice plausible soft lighting and my renders take 30-60 sec/frame in general on my pretty slow 2015 IMac. Well the result is far from photoreal but looks descent:)

Thank you for your feedback :) I do use AoA's ambient light, a lot, it's a very good product. I haven't managed to get my head round the awesurface shader, it might just need a rocket scientist which I'm very not! And I'm not after photorealism...that's what all my cameras are for ;) I want to keep using 3dl but get better results and your tuts are helping.

• lorraineopua said:

Sven Dullah said:

Thank you for your feedback :) I do use AoA's ambient light, a lot, it's a very good product. I haven't managed to get my head round the awesurface shader, it might just need a rocket scientist which I'm very not! And I'm not after photorealism...that's what all my cameras are for ;) I want to keep using 3dl but get better results and your tuts are helping.

Good to hear:)

• I know I for onr would love to learn so much more about 3Delight!!!

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited October 2021

These two images were rendered with the exact same free shader that comes packed in with Daz Studio: "dzToonMatte". The difference is that the one on the left is the out of the box default setting.

The one on the right has had the bump maps turned off, the Blend Amount set to 75%, a 25% Ambient color applied to the skin and hair and the Outline Threshold set down to 1!

That is all the tweaking the shader requires to give you a nice result!(Lit with a single distant light)

Render time: 3 Seconds(No really!)

Post edited by vrba79 on

vrba79 said:

These two images were rendered with the exact same free shader that comes packed in with Daz Studio: "dzToonMatte". The difference is that the one on the left is the out of the box default setting.

The one on the right has had the bump maps turned off, the Blend Amount set to 75%, a 25% Ambient color applied to the skin and hair and the Outline Threshold set down to 1!

That is all the tweaking the shader requires to give you a nice result!(Lit with a single distant light)

Good one, tks for sharingyes 

• vrba79 said:

Wow, what a difference! Nice work!

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 593
    edited October 2021

Is it considered questionable to render iray materials in 3dl? I bought Deepsea's Peregrine Falcon and this is it rendered straight out of the box in 3dl with iray mats. It's a beautiful model, even if it can't scrunch up and do a peregrine dive.

peregrine 1k.jpg
    1000 x 625 - 546K
    Post edited by lorraineopua on
    edited October 2021

lorraineopua said:

Is it considered questionable to render iray materials in 3dl? I bought Deepsea's Peregrine Falcon and this is it rendered straight out of the box in 3dl with iray mats. It's a beautiful model, even if it can't scrunch up and do a peregrine dive.

IMO the question you should ask yourself is: Would I get a better result and be able to finetune the surfaces more accurately if I used a proper 3DL shader? And would it possibly render faster? 

...agreed, nice looking modelsmiley...

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited November 2021

Sven help do you know if it is possible to remove the PBR  shaders and then use 3DL on a figure ? to make more sense I gave in and bought Coral8.1 on sale ,and discovered that she only uses IRay for part of her surfaces the rest is PBR shaders that I can't  figure out how to remove or change ......I just want to get the surfaces to a basic what ever that I can work with ,make my own textures etc .and I like 3DL but right now i can change the human skin but not the tail portion ,I've removed all the textures but it's still showing the PBR shader stuff ......do you have a clue ?

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • You can apply a shader preset and hold down the ctrl key (cmd for mac) as you do so, that will open a dialogue that will let you choose to keep the current maps - but that applies only to properties with the same name in each shader.

edited November 2021

carrie58 said:

Sven help do you know if it is possible to remove the PBR  shaders and then use 3DL on a figure ? to make more sense I gave in and bought Coral8.1 on sale ,and discovered that she only uses IRay for part of her surfaces the rest is PBR shaders that I can't  figure out how to remove or change ......I just want to get the surfaces to a basic what ever that I can work with ,make my own textures etc .and I like 3DL but right now i can change the human skin but not the tail portion ,I've removed all the textures but it's still showing the PBR shader stuff ......do you have a clue ?

Hmm, I'm still on DS 4.9 and haven't even installed G8, so not able to test anything. Did you try the usual "Load figure, select it (also possible geografts etc) and all its surfaces, head over to shader presets and apply for example the dz defaultshader" thing? I can't see why you wouldn't be able to apply a standard 3DL shader to any surface...

Let us know how it goes! 

Sven Dullah said:

carrie58 said:

Hmm, I'm still on DS 4.9 and haven't even installed G8, so not able to test anything. Did you try the usual "Load figure, select it (also possible geografts etc) and all its surfaces, head over to shader presets and apply for example the dz defaultshader" thing? I can't see why you wouldn't be able to apply a standard 3DL shader to any surface...

Let us know how it goes! 

That seems to have done it ,still have to work at adjusting the materials but at least there are now settings I understand there .....

carrie58 said:

Sven Dullah said:

carrie58 said:

Let us know how it goes! 

That seems to have done it ,still have to work at adjusting the materials but at least there are now settings I understand there .....

Oh good! smiley

edited November 2021

Still a work in process but used PWSurface Neutral as a base shader ,still woking at adding back in the bump ,and fiddleing with strenghts .I swore I wasn't going to move up to 8.1 but I'm a sucker for mermaids and I really liked the tail ,plus it was on sale for a price I couldn't resist ...That'll teach me ........

Coral 8.1 adjustedto3dl.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M

carrie58 said:

...That'll teach me ........

laugh

edited November 2021

So I need an opinion on my conversion to 3DL .... please .

Coral 8.1 3DL version.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M

...well, quite an improvement from the first render, think you did a good job on the tail parts...won't comment on the lighting thoughsmiley

Sven Dullah said:

...well, quite an improvement from the first render, think you did a good job on the tail parts...won't comment on the lighting thoughsmiley

Truthfully  that is making me very happy and I'm really glad you didn't comment on the lighting since I didn't use any .....well the headlight on the camera ......I'm kinda simple like that cheekyThank you Sven

• This tread is a great idea, Sven.

Barefoot Upto My Soul said:

This tread is a great idea, Sven.

Tks, yeah just trying to put all the essential stuff in one place... 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

And he has been helping people understand 3Delight much better!!!

• dsum55dsum55 Posts: 23
    edited March 2022

vrba79 said:

@vrba79 Do you have more picture with these settings? 

The Blend amount, Ambient and  Outline threshold are these setting for all this for all textures? including buildings and landscapes?

This Picture is amazing. 

Post edited by dsum55 on

Mustakettu85 kindly provided this link to her free (ShareCG) 3DL content. (Added to the first post). So if any of you need good! portrait light sets, try her Fantasy lights and portrait add ons, they are made for the DS vanilla 3Delight renderer;) 

Thank You Kettu!

dsum55 said:

vrba79 said:

@vrba79 Do you have more picture with these settings? 

The Blend amount, Ambient and  Outline threshold are these setting for all this for all textures? including buildings and landscapes?

This Picture is amazing. 

With buildings and landscapes, I'd set the outline threshold to 0, but overall its the same technique. If you don't have CPU that can render VSS very fast, or you didn't hop on the PWToon train in time, something like dzToonMatte is your best bet for cartoon style renders in 3Delight.

• RiverMissyRiverMissy Posts: 292

Is there a setting in 3Deight similar to Iray's saturation setting?  I am setting the saturation to .005 in Iray and want to get the same effect in 3Delight.  Thank you.

RiverMissy said:

Is there a setting in 3Deight similar to Iray's saturation setting?  I am setting the saturation to .005 in Iray and want to get the same effect in 3Delight.  Thank you.

Do you own the AoA atmospheric cameras? I believe they are not available anymore due to being partially broken in rescent DS builds. One of them, (simple fog - colorize?) has controls for saturation and contrast, and it should still work. If not, I guess you could build one in Shader Mixer if you're familiar with that. Or simply desaturate the render in post? 

If you're using the AWE Shading Kit with scripted pathtracing there are numerous options for tonemapping, you can control saturation, gamma, temperature etc per surface or globally.

edited May 2022

This is part of the reason I'm distancing myself from 3DL. Stuff for it breaks as new versions of D|S come out, but they stay broken because the developer of said thing has no interest in revising it. So they instead just unlist it.

Post edited by vrba79 on

vrba79 said:

This is part of the reason I'm distancing myself from 3DL. Stuff for it breaks as new versions of D|S come out, but they stay broken because the developer of said thing has no interest in revising it. So they instead just unlist it.

I don't say I disagree, but please keep that conversation to another thread, tks;) 

edited May 2022

Oh, I'm not trying to be a downer. Just explaining why I'm no longer actively posting 3DL experiements. I'll answer questions about the stuff I've already posted though.

Post edited by vrba79 on