3Delight Useful Stuff?-Put It Here:)

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

@RiverMissy

I had a quick look and it was the AoA Fog Cam that came with saturation/contrast sliders. Didn't work when loading a fresh copy from my library. But they are SM networks and I have made a copy of the network saved as a subset. Tested it and it works.  Not sure I'm allowed to share it though? Maybe Moderators could chime in?

• RiverMissyRiverMissy Posts: 292
    edited May 2022

Sven Dullah said:

RiverMissy said:

Is there a setting in 3Deight similar to Iray's saturation setting?  I am setting the saturation to .005 in Iray and want to get the same effect in 3Delight.  Thank you.

Do you own the AoA atmospheric cameras? I believe they are not available anymore due to being partially broken in rescent DS builds. One of them, (simple fog - colorize?) has controls for saturation and contrast, and it should still work. If not, I guess you could build one in Shader Mixer if you're familiar with that. Or simply desaturate the render in post? 

If you're using the AWE Shading Kit with scripted pathtracing there are numerous options for tonemapping, you can control saturation, gamma, temperature etc per surface or globally.

I just looked and I do not own the AoA atmospheric cameras.  I have never played in the Shader Mixer either.  I have looked at it :).  I am looking for the outline grayscale effect without shadows.  I see your AWE Shading Kit listed here and was unfamiliar with it's existence until now.  I like 3Delight and have purchased lots of it so I would hate to miss out on using all of those products for my current project needs.  I am really looking for a quick way to implement something and quick renders in case you have any other ideas.  As far as the AWE Shading kit goes would it accomplish the quick goals?  Thank you.

Post edited by RiverMissy on
    edited May 2022

RiverMissy said:

I am looking for the outline grayscale effect without shadows. 

Not sure what you mean, maybe I got you all wrong? I thought you simply needed to de-saturate your renders? If you're talking NPR or toon shading I'm definitely the wrong guy to help;)

I see your AWE Shading Kit listed here and was unfamiliar with it's existence until now.  I like 3Delight and have purchased lots of it so I would hate to miss out on using all of those products for my current project needs.  I am really looking for a quick way to implement something and quick renders in case you have any other ideas.  As far as the AWE Shading kit goes would it accomplish the quick goals?  Thank you.

Using awe has a rather steep learning curve, and is a great tool for physically plausible shading/lighting, so not sure that's what you need. But it's free:)

Here's a couple of quick renders using my SM fog cam..

Default:

Slightly desaturated and tinted:

100% desaturated, +10% contrast:

100%desaturated and tinted:

I still don't know if I can share that cam subset, it may not be what you need but someone else might like it?

SMcam 1.png
    800 x 450 - 277K
    SMcam 2.png
    800 x 450 - 272K
    SMcam 3.png
    800 x 450 - 280K
    SMcam 4.png
    800 x 450 - 278K
    Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited May 2022

Uploaded a slightly altered SM colorize/fog cam in case someone needs it. It's a subset so just drop it into your scene or move it to "My Library/Scene Subsets and load it from there.

duf
    duf
    SM_Colorize_FogCam.duf

Thank you Sven.  I will try to put something together to show you what I need.  I am making coloring books from my renders.

That looks like what I need for the desaturation.  Thank you!!! 

Will let you know how it goes once I try it out.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

okay I need help!!! I'm using 3DL and trying to figure out why my renders seem to take so long ,and I checked my task manager and discovered that the CPU is maxed out ,and the it's not using the GPU aka video card at all how do I change this ,can it be changed? Does 3DL  use the video card? or iss it only iRay that does ? Help me please !!

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited June 2022

3DL doesn't use your graphics card. Its all CPU. Iray can use both.

Post edited by vrba79 on

vrba79 said:

3DL doesn't use your graphics card. Its all CPU. Iray can use both.

Ahhh okay thank you very much @vrba79

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,163

It's not only Iray that uses the GPU, but 3DL doesn't. 

edited June 2022

The main downside of Iray, is that its tied to Nvidia GPUs, and a decent card will set you back a few hundred bucks. The 6GB GTX 1660 Super I use was like $400 on eBay. So if you ain't got that kind of money to throw around, or are stick with an AMD card, you'll probably wanna stick to 3DL.

Post edited by vrba79 on

Well my plan is to stick with 3DL ,cause I've worked to hard to understand it and I have no interest in photo realistic ,but I've been trying to understand why my renders were taking sooooo long ,but then again I am impatient when it comes to rendering....my  computer has a Nvidia card  already but since 3DL  doesn't use it ...... guess it doesn't matter . Oh well

edited June 2022

A solid plan then. While NPR is possible with Iray, it requires a lot more finessing than 3DL does. One of the very best NPR shaders for 3DL comes free with Daz|Studio itself after all.

This is why I hope that stuff like DzDefault survives to future itterations of Daz|Studio. 

Post edited by vrba79 on

vrba79 said:

A solid plan then. While NPR is possible with Iray, it requires a lot more finessing than 3DL does. One of the very best NPR shaders for 3DL comes free with Daz|Studio itself after all.

This is why I hope that stuff like DzDefault survives to future itterations of Daz|Studio. 

Well at this point I'm not moving to Genesis 8.1 with only a couple of exceptions and have no intention of up grading if Studio5 comes out ,been trying to install 4.5 on my old lap top so  GenX2 works on it  ,if I can't get it to work on  4.15 ,can't figure out if it's me or Studio having issues .... not stressing though

Sadly we'll probably never get future GenX2 support, due to the author's untimely passing five years ago.

vrba79 said:

Sadly we'll probably never get future GenX2 support, due to the author's untimely passing five years ago.

True but it does work fine in 4.5 ,sooo canmake the moves in 4.5 and then use them in newer versions ...and now back to 3DL stuff .....

@carrie58, a few things that can hurt rendertimes:

- Objects with overlapping transmapped surfaces like complex hair models or trees/vegetation. Especially if combined with SS-scattering and Subdivision. If possible, use base resolution, turn off SSS, inspect the opacity maps. Downscale large (4k+) opacity maps to 2k or less. Possibly also edit to get rid of grey (think semi-transparent) shades that really should not be there. Use the right shader, for example, OmUberSurface gives you the option to turn off ambient occlusion and raytracing visibility.

- HD-morphs. Ditch them if not essential for the character(s). Scroll through the list of "currently used" and dial down all HD-related morphs to 0.

- Overkill rendersettings. If using the DS standard 3DL, check stuff like raytrace depth, pixel samples, shadow samples and shading rate. When loading certain premade scenes, they can change your preferred render settings (hate when that happens). 

- The AoA SS shader deserves its own mentioning, it's simply slow, SS or not. Opacity or not. And buggy (Shader Mixer network). Note: This is my personal opinion:D, use at own risk.

In case these obvious things are not working for you, maybe post some settings/screenshots/renders?

@SvenDullah , sad thing is the render was 2 generation 3 characters,  1 Genesis1 ,there were 2 bushes, but only one head of hair , 1 light preset  ,and the render settings were all default ...... and it took 14 hours to render  ,made me just lose my mind ...... this is why I mostly just do single figure renders and compile them later ,but I'm working on my patience ........it's just slow too.

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited June 2022

carrie58 said:

@SvenDullah , sad thing is the render was 2 generation 3 characters,  1 Genesis1 ,there were 2 bushes, but only one head of hair , 1 light preset  ,and the render settings were all default ...... and it took 14 hours to render  ,made me just lose my mind ...... this is why I mostly just do single figure renders and compile them later ,but I'm working on my patience ........it's just slow too.

The subD setting is preset for some conent when you install it.   Quoting jestsmart from a different thread "Every level of sub-division quadruples the polygon count of the mesh.  Four or five levels on figure would probably crash all but the most powerful of computers.".  So, if the subD is set for 3, then your render time will quadruple, then quadruple again.

You could use the scientific method to determine what's causing the extended render time.  Start a new scene, add one distant light, and create a Primative of a cube, don't add a shader or material to the cube.  In the render settings - for the size of the render make it 1000x1000 px.  Then Render it.  Note how long the render takes.  The larger your final render dimensions, the longer the tender time.

Once you make a render of the cube, add ONE non-high definition human figure, no extra shaders, no hair, no clothes, no pose.  Make a render and note the time it takes.  

Add hair to the ONE figure in your scene.  Make a render snd note how long it takes.

Add ONE outfit, don't add extra shaders for the clothing.  Render and note time it takes.

Then add EXACTLY the same figure as the first, so there are 2 of them in the scene.

Keep adding content, one piece of content at a time, and render each time.

Note that each different piece of content has a different size file, some content uses a TON of memory, some content uses little memory.

For each piece of physical content, check to make sure that IF it has subD, that the subD is set to ONE.

Realize that if you are running and/or using other software on the computer during the render, the render time will get longer.  So if you have Photoshop running, and you are watching a movie, and playing a game, and you have music playing - the Render will just not happen.  So don't run any other software during the render.  

As you add content to your scene, one piece at a time, you may come upon a piece of content, like a HAIR MODEL, that makes the render time a lot slower.

High Definition models take a lot more time, as do some hair models, and some materials or shaders that take a lot of memory.

Some DAZ human figure generations have huge files and take much longer to load into the scene and to render.

Oh, and be aware that if you add so much content to a scene that it won't render, YOU MAY NOT EVEN BE ABLE TO OPEN THE SCENE, EVER AGAIN.  So any time you have customized a figure, SAVE it in your CONTENT.  Because if it only exists in the scene you have open, and you save the scene - and then can't reopen the scene - you will have no access to the customized figure.

Post edited by Fauvist on

@Fauvist, note that, once a mesh is converted to SubD, 3Delight always uses the highest SubD level. The level you set in parameters will only affect the viewport. When rendered out there will be no difference between level 1 and, say, level 4 in how the HD morphs look.

carrie58 said:

What type of light preset? Was UberEnvironment part of it? 

Sven Dullah said:

carrie58 said:

Nope it was Sunlight 12 pm. I have to go check the true name of it . but it wasn't a UberEnvironment ...

edited June 2022

carrie58 said:

Sven Dullah said:

carrie58 said:

Nope it was Sunlight 12 pm. I have to go check the true name of it . but it wasn't a UberEnvironment ...

...and is it compiled of standard DS lights or does it use some sort of custom lights? If standard lights (spots, points, distant), you set the shadow samples in render settings. IIRC the default is 16, which could be part of the culprit. Maybe 8 or even as low as 2 will be sufficient? Depends on how soft the shadows are. Spotrender a shadow and check that you don't get noise, prior to rendering the whole thing. 

I'd also take a closer look at the two bushes. Converting them to OmUber and excluding raytracing and occlusion (if not done already) would probably cut rendertimes a fair amount. Fur could be another culprit. Did your characters have transmapped fur? If yes, the OmUber trick is valid here too.

Y'know, the AoA lights, with their adaptive sampling, are the fastest lights around. You could easily replace the lights in any set with AoA lights, using a little copy/paste magic, just sayingwink.

Hm, speaking of default render settings - not at my DS rig right now so don't recall, but check your ray trace depth setting! Anything above 2 is a definite overkill, unless your scene is full of glass, water and metal. 

A little piece of advice, if I may:) The DS default settings suck! * Don't rely on them, make your own, suitable for the things you do!

*) Find some info on using a linear workflow in the index of this thread! The worst thing about default settings is: Gamma correction is set to OFF, lights don't cast shadows, you get the drift, Ugh!

Thank you Sven ,I've finally reached the point of burn out with buying more stuff ,and actually learning to use it , this is all helpful advice .

Double checked and actually the Sun light set is a Uberenvironment 2 set up ,I think I forgot because I'd gotten into a habit of shutting down the environmentsphere ......

carrie58 said:

Double checked and actually the Sun light set is a Uberenvironment 2 set up ,I think I forgot because I'd gotten into a habit of shutting down the environmentsphere ......

Ok, case solved, I figure;) Worth checking quality- and lighting mode settings for the UE2 then, I think I posted brief explanations here somewhere.  You run into more trouble - just let us know:)

RiverMissy said:

I got a chance to try out the camera last night and lo and behold I could desaturate close to what it looks like in Iray.  Thank you again!

RiverMissy said:

RiverMissy said:

I got a chance to try out the camera last night and lo and behold I could desaturate close to what it looks like in Iray.  Thank you again!

Glad to hear, as I made it in DS4.9 and was not 100% sure it worked with the newer versions, tks for confirming:)

Sven Dullah said:

RiverMissy said:

RiverMissy said:

Glad to hear, as I made it in DS4.9 and was not 100% sure it worked with the newer versions, tks for confirming:)

FYI, I am using 4.15.  

• VicSVicS Posts: 1,188

Sven just looked through here, this is awesome, thanks!!

I hope I'll have the chance to try this it looks like it may take a while,