Michael 8.1

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Well you just convinced me to get the hd addon @theinnercircle.  I like the character's look a lot and would have have purchased it even if it weren't "Michael."

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Nice renders! But, there's still something not right with the eyes. I keep seeing "toony" or maybe it's just "not realistic".

Laurie

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

The Inner Circle said:

Great render @mal3imagery

Silly me being the render that follows you but my first render of M8.1 with the hd addon. I must admit I don't mind the look as much as others.

David

Amazing!!  Looks fantastic, I will be purchasing him soon  

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2021

Here's my render of Mikey 8.1.  Enjoy smiley

Absolutely a hottie. For those who find his look a bit toony, reducing the size of his irises might fix the issue.. Somehow he reminds me of M4 and M6.
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

CHWT said:

mal3Imagery said:

Absolutely a hottie. For those who find his look a bit toony, reducing the size of his irises might fix the issue.. Somehow he reminds me of M4 and M6.

I think they pulled out the absolute best that could be pulled out of M8.1...but he still looks cartoony. There's just no detail to the skin. Like...none.  

• I am liking Trance.

Trance.jpg
    600 x 800 - 286K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

where are all the add on choices?  i only seeing 5.

i added the varsity bundle and hd add on  to cart.  brought the cart price down to 90. 
    how do i get the 32 price?

• Mystiarra said:

where are all the add on choices?  i only seeing 5.

i added the varsity bundle and hd add on  to cart.  brought the cart price down to 90. 
    how do i get the 32 price?

There are only 5, two of which are girls, 1 of which is free with the bundle. So there are only 4 that you can add for the discount. No idea how to get the price down to 32 though. 

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited January 2021

mebbe the next 81 pro bundle

Post edited by Mistara on
  • mal3Imagery said:

I absolutely swoon over all of your male renders and this one is no exception. 

• he has Disneyish face.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,143

Well, if the Campus Life bundle had been yesterdays' bundle, and the Varsity bundle been todays' bundle, then I probably would've bought the Campus Life bundle yesterday and ignored the Varsity bundle today.

But, as they were released exactly the other way round, I already grabbed M8.1 yesterday, without the bundle, and am going to skip todays' bundle. Yeah, I know, I got a banner for already having the Lecture Hall. However, there's no banner for already having M8.1, which is the most important piece of the bundle, and even then, the available discount is less than what M8.1 cost, so it's just a bad deal I'm afraid.

The reason why Campus Life is a better bundle than Varsity? Simple: the clothes are more mainstream, and more useful in general. They're not great (Fall Vibes pants are a bit too tight, so I'd probably use the Streetscape pants, or about any other pants, instead), but they're not bad either.

So, congrats to those who skipped out entirely yesterday, today seems a lot more interesting.

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

My first thought was that he reminds me of Zachery Ty Bryan.

• MimicMolly said:

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."

I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal. It should be noted that M8.1 is still pretty muscled. 

My wish, as I've said before, is to see someone with a build like Gustaf Skarsgard...tall and lanky...particularly when he was playing Floki on Vikings. 

His "youngness" is only a problem because of his name. But then again, I'm probably the only one here who is bothered by the disproportionate amount of young female characters and equally young male characters. It's easier to age a character than make it look younger.

Even though I don't care for lanky male characters at all, it's an odd argument to use with "Michael". He was never the skinny guy. He wasn't a younger man either (David was), but I feel that's been lacking in the bases, so I'll take it.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this character would've been better received as "David 8.1"? Probably not, since he's not small-enough or thin-enough.

That is exactly what I also see, but my opinion is not asked here because it is the truth. Too many cooks spoil the broth. Michael was the man, about 30 years old and not the thin young man. But who still knows David 3 or David 5 here ... 

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

I like the Campus life bundle, but then I see a tesla item is included. Can somebody say if it has the same issue as the one from the V8.1 bundle? (An animation timeline that makes it unusable for dForce)

I would like M8.1 only for completion sake and for the micro details map. The base texture of his skin is, ... yeah I think cartoony is the best description.

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569
    edited January 2021

HighElf said:

I like the Campus life bundle, but then I see a tesla item is included. Can somebody say if it has the same issue as the one from the V8.1 bundle? (An animation timeline that makes it unusable for dForce)

I would like M8.1 only for completion sake and for the micro details map. The base texture of his skin is, ... yeah I think cartoony is the best description.

No, that environment does not "melt" during dForce timeline simulation. But it is completely "oversized". All the chairs in the environment are single objects, not instances. I ran "Instancify" on the environment, and it reduced the polygon count by 93%. I suppose all the tesla environments have to be taken with a grain of salt. 

Post edited by Mark_e593e0a5 on
  • SeniraMSeniraM Posts: 20
    edited January 2021

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

HighElf said:

No, that environment does not "melt" during dForce timeline simulation. But it is completely "oversized". All the chairs in the environment are single objects, not instances. I ran "Instancify" on the environment, and it reduced the polygon count by 93%. I suppose all the tesla environments have to be taken with a grain of salt. 

Prob the sole reason I won't purchase either of the two Michael 8.1 bundles. Then again, Michael 8.1 hasn't really impressed me much, so...tesla environments aside, I'm not feeling it with the new Michael. However, I'm absolutely loving the new V8.1. 

Post edited by SeniraM on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,759
    edited January 2021

I had yesterday's bundle in the cart overnight, I hesitated because of three things.

One, I have multiple basketball courts and outfits.

Two, my initial reaction to how Michael 8.1 was presented. I must say I like that Daz has given us a younger male, late teen core character to match to the other teen core characters. (Even though I wasn't around for the Davids, I also agree he is more of a David than a Michael, but, I like him better than any of the other Michaels.) But by presenting him as a blond, in a wheelchair hit a nerve after the past few weeks. There is a public individual who he reminds me of, that has built his history with vague half truths and exaggerations of his prior achievements. I have to get over my aversion of that man to see Michael 8.1. The renders by folks here is helping me with that. Thank you everyone. I love them.

Third the price for the bundle, and now today's bundle. Too high a price for too many things I had no use for or had issue with. For a bundle that is supposed to be for someone in a wheelchair, that dorm room's bathroom is not set-up for someone who can't stand on two feet. I tried today's bundle with the HD and Trance and Ajay Hair from yesterday and it was expensive. So I picked out just the items I wanted from both, $7.00 cheaper, still too high. So I kept both hairs, the expressions, and Trance.

This is the first core figure I have not bought immediately since finding DS. Daz Marketing take note. I will wait for the sales, and expect this will be my path forward. And this is from someone who buys male characters ASAP. I support male content. 

Mary

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,259
    I think most of the Streetscape outfit looks great, but the collar of the shirt is awful. The Fall Vibes hoodie and jacket do not look good to me and I'd never use them.
  • xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,713

An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:

Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2021
    xyer0 said:

An accurate depiction of my feelings about Michael 8.1:

Poor Quixotry worked such wonders with her Victoria 8.1 expressions, but she obviously was outdone by Mehchael 8.1's mouth; so, she had to leave it mostly closed and give us variations on awkward dork and bashful dweeb because there was nothing to be done for his toon eyes. Rather than building off of the excellent progress that they made with Genesis 8 Male Core Figures, it appears Daz decided to scrap all that and start from scratch.

Some of them are meme worthy, I dig those. But the outer corners of the eyes do not appear to react well to facial expressions
    Post edited by CHWT on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

nemesis10 said:

The hair on the head is still filament hair by RedzStudio.

I think you mean this hair: dForce Electro Hair for Genesis 3 and 8 | 3D Models and 3D Software by Daz 3D

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201

MimicMolly said:

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."

I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal. It should be noted that M8.1 is still pretty muscled. 

My wish, as I've said before, is to see someone with a build like Gustaf Skarsgard...tall and lanky...particularly when he was playing Floki on Vikings. 

His "youngness" is only a problem because of his name. But then again, I'm probably the only one here who is bothered by the disproportionate amount of young female characters and equally young male characters. It's easier to age a character than make it look younger.

Even though I don't care for lanky male characters at all, it's an odd argument to use with "Michael". He was never the skinny guy. He wasn't a younger man either (David was), but I feel that's been lacking in the bases, so I'll take it.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this character would've been better received as "David 8.1"? Probably not, since he's not small-enough or thin-enough.

Well, Victoria 8.1 was essentially Stephanie, so it would make sense that Michael 8.1 is actually David. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

the new expressions look good on V8.1 but I find them really strange on M8.1 the smiles in particular are somewhat pervy and scary looking.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

Timbales said:

I think most of the Streetscape outfit looks great, but the collar of the shirt is awful. The Fall Vibes hoodie and jacket do not look good to me and I'd never use them.

There must be an unspoken rule at Daz that pants for guys have to be SKIN TIGHT. Urgh. For every step they take forward, I feel like they take two steps back. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,455

well, I did buy V8.1, but not all that jumping for joy over the skin texture. I can't tell the difference in that vs 8.0 or even the eyes for that matter. I fooled around with the PBR skin shader. That does seem to make some changes but you need to get into the surfaces pane and change a lot of stuff. 

Michael 8.1 is a pass, as are the bundles. Its way too pricey and absolutely no discounts for anything. I suppose 8.1 purchases will be the future buy in for banner ad discounts. 

• daveso said:

well, I did buy V8.1, but not all that jumping for joy over the skin texture. I can't tell the difference in that vs 8.0 or even the eyes for that matter. I fooled around with the PBR skin shader. That does seem to make some changes but you need to get into the surfaces pane and change a lot of stuff. 

Michael 8.1 is a pass, as are the bundles. Its way too pricey and absolutely no discounts for anything. I suppose 8.1 purchases will be the future buy in for banner ad discounts. 

I sincerely, sincerely hope that 8.1 is not a reset for banner discounts after so much loyalty was spent on Genesis 8 pro bundles. This is not speculation, just a hope.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,348
    edited January 2021

empty said:

daveso said:

I sincerely, sincerely hope that 8.1 is not a reset for banner discounts after so much loyalty was spent on Genesis 8 pro bundles. This is not speculation, just a hope.

Well, sadly, my purchases of nearly all the bundles for genesis 8 core figures don't seem to count for the new Gensis 8.1 bundles. crying 

I'm really wondering whether or not to buy the pricey new Michael 8.1 bundles or not; and maybe even whether or not to return the Victoria 8.1 bundle I already got.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,794
    edited January 2021

AllenArt said:

There must be an unspoken rule at Daz that pants for guys have to be SKIN TIGHT. Urgh. For every step they take forward, I feel like they take two steps back. 

Yikes. The Fall Vibes pants are painfully out of fashion.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 709
    edited January 2021

Thanks all.  One more render for the thread.  I should get back to my work now :P

A semi-body shot.  Enjoy :)

Mike8_1_Portrait2_1.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 802K
    Post edited by mal3Imagery on