Michael 8.1

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I am super happy with the gymnasium as I have not bought any of the prior gymnasium offerings because they weren't the correct style that I wanted. This one is.

As far as Machael 8.1 I like the character and agree with a few others that the skin is a bit too perfect looking. I think it's because this character actually resembles Elvis Presley to a great degree and whoever modeled Michael 8.1, well good luck finding photos of Elvis Presley that aren't heavily edited and have him wearing heavy pancake makeup.

I am buying Michael 8.1 & the gymnasium no hesitation. The wheel chair has to wait but it is practical for some storytelling situations. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,795

I like him! I think he has a little more personality than M8 or M7, both of whom were pretty generic.

M8.1 looks a little younger. And he reminds me of M6, as others have already mentioned.

The paraplegic morph is a nice bonus and I like the marketing around it.

I do think there's a discrepancy in realism between V8.1 and M8.1, latter looks more toony. It doesn't bother me because I don't generally go for photorealism but the discrepancy is a little strange.

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

About the new Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials that appear in the DIM today, along with other Genesis 8 Male things: I already have Genesis 8. I have not updated to DS 4.15. So, I'm still using Genesis 8.0. Should I download these new items in the DIM? Would they help just the regular Genesis 8 Male figures?

• Will products for Michael 8 still work with 8.1?    

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385

RenderScot said:

Outta the box  (HD) with full hair  inc vellus added and tousled hair thrown on top  single light to see how he fares  overall like the look 

Looks good, just too orange on the skin, try to lower values in saturation, a slight change on Hue towards red values and:

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,348

drafter69_696b99e42b said:

Will products for Michael 8 still work with 8.1?    

Mostly yes; but some expressions may not work. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited January 2021

nemesis10 said:

The hair on the head is still filament hair by RedzStudio.

I don't see any hair by that name by Redz in the shop. Do you mean Electro hair? 

*edit* Nevermind, I see it is Electro hair. Thanks!

Post edited by MelissaGT on

Leana said:

mwokee said:

daveso said:

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yes, cartoony. I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. Otherwise, the base character, as is, should be given away for free and any money to be made would be for HD addons. Probably a great character for most but not for someone like me, one of my primary considerations for purchases is photorealism and this ain't got it. I guess we'll see what comes out for addons in the coming months. Wallet is safe for now.

G 8.1male is free and does it all. Mike8.1 is just flavoring the texture pot. Nothing there that isn't in GM 8.1  from the physical aspects ... like face control.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I thought I had the latest version of Daz, wasn't the case. So now I'm wondering what's so special about Michael 8.1. There are plenty of 8.0 characters with much better skin textures and quality.

Well for one thing he's the first G8.1 male character using the new PBR shader, so if you're interested in that shader he can be useful.

Or buy Redz's new character that is way nicer and cheaper with better quality skin and uses the new PBR shader.  

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Charlie Judge said:

drafter69_696b99e42b said:

Will products for Michael 8 still work with 8.1?    

Mostly yes; but some expressions may not work. 

Does M8.1 present the same issue as Victoria 8.1,  where you have to move a couple files out of the data folder in order for G8M expressions to work on the newer model?

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020
    edited January 2021

Mike 8.1 definitely looks like he's ~18-24 to me in the promos (and with some expressions), but messing with the actual model he seemed like he could be anywhere from 20 to a youngish 30. Maybe it's because me and a bunch of my friends had terminal babyface until our mid-thirties. 

The biggest issue I have with him is that with Victoria 8.1, the difference in expressions was immediately obvious to me. When I dial in a smile expression, she looks alive in a way I couldn't quite reach with basic 8, and I think it's because the expression seems to reach her eyes more. Michael 8.1 looks good to me with a neutral expression, but when he smiles it's kind of uncanny. I can't recall if I mentioned it earlier, but his overall mouth size is pretty small and it sits high on his face, while his chin, jaw, and nose are broad and fairly strong. I think it makes it hard for full smiles or other dynamic expressions to affect his entire face. A similar thing happens with some G8 characters, where smiles on a small mouth shape will pull it up into sort of a pout or look weird if stretched wide. What's interesting is that he looks most natural to me with a full-face smile in the promo pic where he has a beard, I think because it balances out those proportions and makes the size of his jaw less obvious. 

(I'm glad I got him and this isn't really an "augh he sucks" complaint, I just like to pick at what makes things work or not work for me in character design.)

Summerhorse said:

Could anyone who has tried Trance without M8.1 comment or post how he looks?

The images I posted of him on the first couple pages of the thread are without M8.1. :D He doesn't require him at all, he's a standalone (that seems to be the case with most characters in core bundles now?). 

Post edited by plasma_ring on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,099

I'm disappointed with the HD Add On and also that there's no HD Anatomical Elements.

edited January 2021

MimicMolly said:

I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."

I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal. It should be noted that M8.1 is still pretty muscled. 

My wish, as I've said before, is to see someone with a build like Gustaf Skarsgard...tall and lanky...particularly when he was playing Floki on Vikings. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2021

Here is M8 out of the box. I apologize for the lack of HD, my machine cannot handle it. 

blonde.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 982K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117

MimicMolly said:

I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."

I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal. It should be noted that M8.1 is still pretty muscled. 

My wish, as I've said before, is to see someone with a build like Gustaf Skarsgard...tall and lanky...particularly when he was playing Floki on Vikings. 

His "youngness" is only a problem because of his name. But then again, I'm probably the only one here who is bothered by the disproportionate amount of young female characters and equally young male characters. It's easier to age a character than make it look younger.

Even though I don't care for lanky male characters at all, it's an odd argument to use with "Michael". He was never the skinny guy. He wasn't a younger man either (David was), but I feel that's been lacking in the bases, so I'll take it.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this character would've been better received as "David 8.1"? Probably not, since he's not small-enough or thin-enough.

MimicMolly said:

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

His "youngness" is only a problem because of his name. But then again, I'm probably the only one here who is bothered by the disproportionate amount of young female characters and equally young male characters. It's easier to age a character than make it look younger.

Even though I don't care for lanky male characters at all, it's an odd argument to use with "Michael". He was never the skinny guy. He wasn't a younger man either (David was), but I feel that's been lacking in the bases, so I'll take it.

Now that I think about it, perhaps this character would've been better received as "David 8.1"? Probably not, since he's not small-enough or thin-enough.

I never said there was an issue with his body...I was just responding to your comment that you find it funny people were complaining about guys that were too big but are still complaining when a small one is released. I wouldn't say M8.1 is small at all. 

In terms of age, I don't care for any of the younger characters, male or female. I'm turning 40 this year, the characters I create for my artwork are definitely past their college years, lol. I have no interest in those young'ins. In fact, I find the obsession with tweens and teen characters kinda...off-putting, but that's just me.  

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120
    Comes the wheelchair in the promos with Michael 8.1?
  • Here's a out-of-the-box comparison of Michael 8 and Michael 8.1. Michael 8.1 looks like Michael 8's younger, shorter brother. 

Full Size Version

Jason

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

JUJU said:

It comes with the bundle. Here's the individual item

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited January 2021

Oh, @JasonSWrench beat me to it lol.

I also made a side by side * well almost side by side * image with M8 and M8.1.

Both with no HD.

I gave them both the same HD smile.

I must say, I much prefer M8.1.

M8 and M8.1 side by side.png
    800 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by Petra on

But there is one that looks not like the sports wheelchair, more like an Everyday Wheelchair. Maybe it is in the tomorrow bundle...

JUJU said:

It comes with the bundle. Here's the individual item

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited January 2021

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

I never said there was an issue with his body...I was just responding to your comment that you find it funny people were complaining about guys that were too big but are still complaining when a small one is released. I wouldn't say M8.1 is small at all. 

In terms of age, I don't care for any of the younger characters, male or female. I'm turning 40 this year, the characters I create for my artwork are definitely past their college years, lol. I have no interest in those young'ins. In fact, I find the obsession with tweens and teen characters kinda...off-putting, but that's just me.  

I don't really want to buy younger female characters, but I sometimes do because they're either included in a bundle of something I want or have some intersting/stylized textures or shapes that look usable to me. Males are slim pickings and most look too old or lack similar stylization, to remove the "disproportions" in my own personal G8M genepool collection. I still want an "anime boy" that looks like the 3D version of how little kids draw anime. *coughsakura8cough* 

M8.1 was more on the "small/medium" size. Clearly no barbarian or Brute, so he's small to me. I've said before that I'd buy M8.1 and his bundle, but at a later date when it's more discounted than it is right now. Never picked up any of the original M8 bundles, because there's only like one hair I liked and the base is used in other characters that interested me.

People will complain no matter what. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

melissastjames said:

MimicMolly said:

I have no problem with his body. It's that he's entirely too young and his skin is abysmal.

This 

• mal3Imagerymal3Imagery Posts: 709
    edited January 2021

Here's my render of Mikey 8.1.  Enjoy smiley

Mike8_1_Portrait.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 119K
    Post edited by mal3Imagery on

wow great wow stunning

• timsw6timsw6 Posts: 39

I have purchased almost every single Daz male release in the last 10 years and spent many  1000's of dollars. I love most of GM8's male core figures and salute Daz for giving us such diversity. I'm delighted with GM8's gene pool, although perhaps I would have liked a few  younger (less beefed) characters.  There is absolutely nothing I like about  M8.1 (based on the promo renders). The  skin  looks 'toon' and the face lacks character, let alone realism. I'm kind of relieved I don't warm to him as perhaps I can finally break my decade long addiction.   

mal3Imagery said:

Wow!  He looks amazing!   

• mal3Imagery said:

I can see a bit of the Dawsons Creek guy in there, not enough to call it a look alike though.
    Steve.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

mal3Imagery said:

Not really identical but in the direction of Elvis I think.

Elvis.jpg
    930 x 1080 - 60K

nonesuch00 said:

mal3Imagery said:

Not really identical but in the direction of Elvis I think.

I too think it looks more like James Vanderbeek from Dawson's Creek as opposed to Elvis 

• Great render @mal3imagery

Silly me being the render that follows you but my first render of M8.1 with the hd addon. I must admit I don't mind the look as much as others.

David