Michael 8.1

Comments

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,259
    It's odd to me that he'd have vellus hair where an adult male would shave his face.
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,276
    edited January 2021

melissastjames said:

nemesis10 said:

I decided to try a quick render of Michael 8.1 HD with some Redz hair and a little muscle and vein supplied by AME:

Can I ask what hair that is? 

The hair is 8.1 body hair and vellum hair, filament hair and miles beard.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 2021

Timbales said:

It's odd to me that he'd have vellus hair where an adult male would shave his face.

It is pretty much impossible to shave off vellum hair even in a close shave....

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • DekeDeke Posts: 1,613

So is this a Gen 8.1 figure? Can other morphs like Toon Generations be applied to this structure?

• So I just downloaded base Michael 8.1.  I cannot for the life of me figure out where the new face controls are parked. 

I've jogged through a couple of intro videos on YouTube, and they point to directory structure that I didn't get with my download.

Is there some secret quest I need to embark on, or would somebody be willing to spare me a hint?

Thanks!

-3W

PS I've only been playing with it a few minutes, and I'm not loving the included texture maps. But I'm having no trouble with any of the 8.0 skins and dial-in morphs I've tried so far. 

• He looks cool, but the eye shape looks abit unrealistic, the orbital area looks too stylized and sharp or something? However the xyz skin micro details and the vellus hairs look very nice. The eyes textures and shaders look like an improvement too. Daz3d eyes always looked so glassy and unrealistic with those hard rings around the irises before.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

No 3DL = no sale. That said, I do like the sculpt, and I like the fact that this is a *young* character. DAZ hasn't done official teen males for a long time, and this is probably as close as we're going to get. 

I also like the fact that he and Victoria are not as overwhelmingly tall as their previous versions. A 6-foot male, and a 5-foot 8 female are a good deal closer to what architectural standards are built for. Vicky's still on the tall side, but not overwhelmingly so.

There are definitely things to like about the new characters. But neither is compelling, and demanding a program upgrade to use them is not a selling point.

Did buy the hair and the wheelchair, however. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

The Inner Circle said:

Weirdly I grabbed the new Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials to play with while I wait for Michael 8.1 pricing to settle and discover:

There is no longer a genesis 8.0 male base figure showing only 8.1.

Checked the female side as well as that updated again at the same time - now there is no genesis 8.0 or 8.1 female base - leaving me with  just a genesis 3 female base figure installed.

David

DAZ has moved all the stuff to "Genesis 8 Male Powerpose Templates" by mistake. You will find your 8.0 figures there (if using SmartContent)

I hope they fix this. Meanwhile, I'm hesitant to install the updates 

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143

@JuJu, this is the HD option.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

What I'd like to know is whether DS4.15 runs on Mojave. I know there's a problem with Big Sur, but Mojave is a couple of versions earlier.

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

Thank you.

Petra said:

@JuJu, this is the HD option.

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

nemesis10 said:

I meant the hair on his head. 

• Michael 8.1 is very cute and young BUT Michael 5 is very handsome and hunk like. So, IMO, Michael 5 is the best looking Michael character in Dazland. I never bother much with hair and morphs coz the stand alone figure speaks for itself. Not buying yet but in due course.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557

Genesis 8.1 ? Never !

Michael 8.1 ? Let the party begin !!!

The hair on the head is still filament hair by RedzStudio.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932

melissastjames said:

nemesis10 said:

I meant the hair on his head.

Looks to me like redzStudio's Electro hair https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-electro-hair-for-genesis-3-and-8 with an alternate Hairshader.

Ciao

TD

You are right... I was sleepy!

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

$75?! You've got to be kidding. And no poses or expressions either? What a joke! Sometimes, it's like Daz doesn't want people to buy male content... >_>

• nemesis10 said:

It is pretty much impossible to shave off vellum hair even in a close shave....

Is this so? Women do it all of the time- ,so I assumed men would...

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346
    edited January 2021

N_R Arts said:

$75?! You've got to be kidding. And no poses or expressions either? What a joke! Sometimes, it's like Daz doesn't want people to buy male content... >_>

Yes, it seems really pricey and even more so than Victoria 8.1 bundle was. The cheapest I could get the Varsity bundle and HD add-on is $89. I like the bundle but I'm not sure I can really afford to buy it

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

daveso said:

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yes, cartoony. I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. Otherwise, the base character, as is, should be given away for free and any money to be made would be for HD addons. Probably a great character for most but not for someone like me, one of my primary considerations for purchases is photorealism and this ain't got it. I guess we'll see what comes out for addons in the coming months. Wallet is safe for now.

G 8.1male is free and does it all. Mike8.1 is just flavoring the texture pot. Nothing there that isn't in GM 8.1  from the physical aspects ... like face control.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I thought I had the latest version of Daz, wasn't the case. So now I'm wondering what's so special about Michael 8.1. There are plenty of 8.0 characters with much better skin textures and quality.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,051
    edited January 2021

mwokee said:

daveso said:

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yes, cartoony. I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. Otherwise, the base character, as is, should be given away for free and any money to be made would be for HD addons. Probably a great character for most but not for someone like me, one of my primary considerations for purchases is photorealism and this ain't got it. I guess we'll see what comes out for addons in the coming months. Wallet is safe for now.

G 8.1male is free and does it all. Mike8.1 is just flavoring the texture pot. Nothing there that isn't in GM 8.1  from the physical aspects ... like face control.

Thanks, I stand corrected. I thought I had the latest version of Daz, wasn't the case. So now I'm wondering what's so special about Michael 8.1. There are plenty of 8.0 characters with much better skin textures and quality.

Well for one thing he's the first G8.1 male character using the new PBR shader, so if you're interested in that shader he can be useful.

Post edited by Leana on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

**sigh**...the more I see him, the less I want him. I WANT more male characters, but I'm not going to buy him just for that reason. I'd never, EVER use anything that comes with him. Not the morph, not the hair and definitely NOT the texture.

Laurie

• AsariAsari Posts: 703
    I'm only going to play with the new base figure now ... it's nice that G8 and G8.1 have the same vertice numbers and vertice order so you can use existing morphs on them.
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,313

I've been onboard with EVERY core character release since 2009 and have to say Michael 8.1 is the very first one I scrunched my face up and said, "Meh. Maybe later." Then I saw the bundle price and laughed out loud because I am accustomed to getting some pretty amazing deals. Started adding things to my cart in an exploratory fashion and suddenly I have 27 items in my cart and am very excited!  I got a lot of cool stuff at ever increasing discounts and it snowballed from there. Throw a Monthly PA coupon in and I'm pulling the trigger on a $651 cart, but only paying $187. OY!  DAZ sets the hook and reels 'em in!  

Seriously though, thanks, DAZ, for all the really cool stuff and tools to explore my creativity over the years.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited January 2021
    I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • AllenArt said:

**sigh**...the more I see him, the less I want him. I WANT more male characters, but I'm not going to buy him just for that reason. I'd never, EVER use anything that comes with him. Not the morph, not the hair and definitely NOT the texture.

Laurie

Ditto. As much as I want to support the 8.1 male character roll out I really wouldn't use Michael 8.1 for any of my renders or animation. His skin appears like it has been doused with foundation. GM 8.1 is great though, and I will def use it for the FACS, which alone is awesome since I use animation so much.....buuuuut can't justify Michael 8.1 because I would have to buy the HD add-on as well to make it worthwhile. That's not to say that I am not looking forward to the new line of GM 8.1 skins on the horizon with bated breath.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,453

MimicMolly said:

I don't get it. People complained about the overly muscular guys, and when they release a small one, y'all complain about him too. But I guess the problem is that the complainers probably want a twiggy one that's like a more realistic version of Ollie but "younger and more 'handsome'."

IMO he adds nothing to the gene pool. You can add the PBR shader to already existing textures for Gen 8. The new faceial adjustment rig is present in the base Gen 8.1 character. You can still use all the new G8.1 stuff without michael 8.1. . The overall head morphs still apply to G8 and 8.1.  Then the cost, of the bundel, is really high overall, and for products I don;t need for sure. Thus my reasoning for not buying him.  

• I like the pieces, I just don't know about $85 liking the pieces. It is a higher cost bundle relative to others, but that doesn't really bother me.

I'll probably end up getting him anyway. I just have to sit and stew on this for a bit before I buy.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,142

I think M8.1 looks pretty nice, though he's still a bit overmuscled in my opinion.

The varsity bundle I'm not so excited about. It's just.. Not stuff I'd generally use, especially considering that I already have a couple of gyms and basketball courts which I never use, as well as several basketball outfits and outfits that could easily be repurposed to basketball outfits, which I also never use. I guess I'll just grab M8.1 and the HD-addon, put the Ajay hair on my wishlist, and leave it at that. If ever I need a sports wheelchair, I'll gladly pick that up then, I'm sure I'll remember it's there when I need it.
    Still strongly considering Brenna and/or Jessamy from the list of add-ons though.

Overall, I think a dirtbike package would've been more exciting, even if the included dirtbike was an old one (or especially if it was, considering the possible discount for those who already had it)

Only question remaining for my final decision.. Are the gens the regular G8 gens, or are these specifically G8.1 gens? Because if G8.1 uses its own set of genitals, then I'd *have* to buy the bundle to have access to them.