Michael 8.1

Comments

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

MIchiael 8.1 with his own skin.  Tear  line added, iris depth added. Aged up about 25-30%. Carlos Hair and Dain facial scruff added.  Totally default lighting

older.jpg
    592 x 440 - 39K
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,455

i see nothing in the mike8.1 that interests me at all. I thought V8.1 skin was very chalky. disapointed in her too. Perhaps you have to go in and change up surface settings to get her to look good. 
    The deal ...there is no deal. 

daveso said:

i see nothing in the mike8.1 that interests me at all. I thought V8.1 skin was very chalky. disapointed in her too. Perhaps you have to go in and change up surface settings to get her to look good. 
    The deal ...there is no deal. 

There is a set of detail maps that was sold with V8.1 and I grabbed them just for the purpose of tweaking the skin.  I'm still playing with those to see what results I get. So far, I am seeing some tiling issues but those can be adjusted out.  Honestly, in spite of the fact that the 8.1 Mike and Vicky are techinically new characters I still kind of see the whole 8.1 thing as a nicely functional upgrade that gives us more realistic eyes-which were desperately needed, and a way to get more subtle facial expressions and a way to improve skin textures more towards photo-realism. This is why I did not go in for the bundles.  The base characters combined with the morphs and things I already have will basically improve my toolset so to speak..

• Outta the box  (HD) with full hair  inc vellus added and tousled hair thrown on top  single light to see how he fares  overall like the look 

RenderScot said:

Outta the box  (HD) with full hair  inc vellus added and tousled hair thrown on top  single light to see how he fares  overall like the look 

Nicely done.   I wish I had more time to play around with it but I need to get ready to head out for a bit.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Honestly I think Michael 8.1 looks more like a high schooler than a university student. He looks extremely young... maybe even too young to have a genital prop included in his bundle, LOL. But nobody cares about that since he is a boy.

All this talk about more realistic skin...Daz you can't just claim it, you have to show it. These promos fail to show it. And like I said with Victoria 8.1, these claims of improved skin are not exclusive to 8.1. They are merely textures. Textures that can be used on any model. The singular improvement with 8.1 is the new face rigging.
  • jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

I am not one for male characters as I prefer to make female ones.  I will say that I like the new Michael 8.1 though. His look is MUCH better than Michael 8, and the only reason why I picked up the latter was because he was needed as a prerequisite for other characters and I picked him up for free.   So far I am liking the look of these new 8.1 characters as I also like Victoria 8.1  BUT, I am a bit partial to Vicky 8 and still like her more.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I like his look a lot and I don't think he looks too young.  I'm not interested in the bundle and will wait to see if another version appears.  If not, I'll grab Michael 8.1.  Would love to see more renders here.

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yes, cartoony. I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. Otherwise, the base character, as is, should be given away for free and any money to be made would be for HD addons. Probably a great character for most but not for someone like me, one of my primary considerations for purchases is photorealism and this ain't got it. I guess we'll see what comes out for addons in the coming months. Wallet is safe for now.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited January 2021

I picked it up, I will have to render it later. First impressions: This is not michael 8, but some other figure they repurposed to release. M8 should be more cut. New guy is youthful and soft. Nothing wrong with the soft look, but this is M8 not base male. He is a great deal younger. His outfits are disappointing. he doesn't have flamboyant and loud tats like V8.1  

I do however like the figure. His face is much more reasonably rigged. He has less of that space between nose and mouth I detested, and looks less like John Travolta. (as a friend says about M8). That said, he's like far younger looking too. 

We have enough shorts outfits for this male generation, so although it is on theme with the basketball set, I wish we had some other outfits. His content is... sparse, which I gues is why we haven't had male outfits or things released for weeks. They have been saving it to go with the bundle.

I do however, prefer this face to M8's. I really didn't care for the Travolta chin divet, and the long space. This guy is cute, and I've bought the pro bundle. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited January 2021

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

Was really looking forward to Michael 8.1 but such a letdown. I don't like to criticize artists' work but if realism is what Daz is going for, this is a step back. The face is cartoonish and the skin is lifeless. So disappointed.

Yes, cartoony. I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. Otherwise, the base character, as is, should be given away for free and any money to be made would be for HD addons. Probably a great character for most but not for someone like me, one of my primary considerations for purchases is photorealism and this ain't got it. I guess we'll see what comes out for addons in the coming months. Wallet is safe for now.

G 8.1male is free and does it all. Mike8.1 is just flavoring the texture pot. Nothing there that isn't in GM 8.1  from the physical aspects ... like face control.

Post edited by daveso on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

melissastjames said:

nemesis10 said:

I decided to try a quick render of Michael 8.1 HD with some Redz hair and a little muscle and vein supplied by AME:

Can I ask what hair that is? 

The body looks very nice, but the face - my brain just keep screaming "toon". Like he should be Guy 8.1 instead of Michael 8.1 o.O 

I can't get past it. 

He looks good to me. Not toony at all. 

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,117
    edited January 2021
    Michael 8.1 reminds me of a Liquid Rust character. That's probably why I like him so much. Maybe there will be a better offer tomorrow. I usually like to wait a bit with bundles.
    Post edited by MimicMolly on
  • MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. 

But you get the new facial rig with the base G8.1 Male, correct? So really there is no reason at all to buy M8.1 unless you want the awful body hair or to mix his shape with other morphs?

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,259
    Lindsey said:

gerster said:

he's really expensive + a bad deal (e.g. no free daz originals)

Don't forget to add your FREE Jessmay HD or SASE Brenna character with the Michael 8.1 Varsity Bundle purchase. 

I've been a customer long enough to know that free female content with the purchase of a male figure is intended to entice the people who are more female focused (aka the majority of buyers) to buy, but it would be nice to have something else as a option as well - a male character, male clothing, or something non-gendered like an environment, etc.
  • BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited January 2021

Leana said:

Wicked Whomp said:

Leana said:

Barubary said:

I wonder, are the Male and Female Anatomical Elements in the Varsity Bundle the same that are in the Victoria 8.1 Bundles? Or are they the specific versions for only Genesis 8.1 Male?

Geografts are figure-specific, so they would be the version for G8M.

The Genesis 8.1 page that lists the updates specifically mentions that male anatomical elements will now work on females. Conversely, female anatomical elements will work on males.

If this isn't actually the case, then Daz needs to update their page.

I read that blurb as "there's now a version of the male elements which works on the female", not "the add-on made for G8M works for G8F too".

I just redownloaded the anatomical elements to check and each of the zips now includes 2 items :

• The G8F Anatomical elements zip includes "Genesis 8 Female Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Female Genitalia for Male"
    • The G8M one includes "Genesis 8 Male Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Male Genitalia for Female".

Items for male and female are separate, they're probably made so that the UVs are the same and they can use the same morphs though.

Thanks a lot for checking! That is disappointing, even though it isn't surprising ^^; Though I guess, as an owner of some of the older Pro Bundles, I'm good anyways. Kind of a relief as I am not into the new bundle (except for the wheelchair stuff).

-----

I have to say, every render in this thread so far has the official promos beat (although the body hair still makes me chuckle when I see it). Not sure what went wrong there.

Also - and please correct me if I'm wrong - we can now celebrate having twice as many Genesis 8.1 Male characters as we have Genesis 8.1 Female ones. What a special day.

Post edited by Barubary on

So no expression sets? Isnt't that the big seller for G8.1? Does only G8.1F get to make faces?

• just to show what the vellus hair looks like in a close up  basic render i know   just to let you see

RenderScot said:

just to show what the vellus hair looks like in a close up  basic render i know   just to let you see

So there is actual vellus hair included with M8.1 separate from that awful body hair? 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,052

Barubary said:

Leana said:

Wicked Whomp said:

Leana said:

Barubary said:

I wonder, are the Male and Female Anatomical Elements in the Varsity Bundle the same that are in the Victoria 8.1 Bundles? Or are they the specific versions for only Genesis 8.1 Male?

Geografts are figure-specific, so they would be the version for G8M.

The Genesis 8.1 page that lists the updates specifically mentions that male anatomical elements will now work on females. Conversely, female anatomical elements will work on males.

If this isn't actually the case, then Daz needs to update their page.

I read that blurb as "there's now a version of the male elements which works on the female", not "the add-on made for G8M works for G8F too".

I just redownloaded the anatomical elements to check and each of the zips now includes 2 items :

• The G8F Anatomical elements zip includes "Genesis 8 Female Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Female Genitalia for Male"
    • The G8M one includes "Genesis 8 Male Genitalia" and "Genesis 8.1 Male Genitalia for Female".

Items for male and female are separate, they're probably made so that the UVs are the same and they can use the same morphs though.

Thanks a lot for checking! That is disappointing, even though it isn't surprising ^^; Though I guess, as an owner of some of the older Pro Bundles, I'm good anyways. Kind of a relief as I am not into the new bundle (except for the wheelchair stuff).

Well they would have had to change how geografts work to get the same one to work on both figures, so that would have meant a DS update too.

I can confirm that you'll get the new anatomical elements as an update for the ones you got from past pro bundles, not only from the 8.1 bundles, as I didn't purchase the new bundles.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

vwrangler said:

A puzzling thing: according to his product page, Michael 8.1 includes 3Delight settings, and Victoria didn't. He also includes an add-on character in his first bundle, and Victoria didn't include a character in either of her bundles.

Beyond that, he's MUCH younger looking than Michael 8, and not nearly as lantern-jawed.

Mostly, I just kind of want Trance, though.

Where does it say there are 3DL settings. I looked and didn't see any. 

• Is there a way to curl the bodyhair so it isn't so straight?

• The character is alright but now without the banners I'm looking at the price of the bundles and am shaking my head, no way. I was alright paying like 46 bucks for pro bundles before, usually under sixty with the three add-ons, but this and the Victoria ones were in the mid to high 80's for everything, and these bundles that are very focused I'm finding very little that I can use or kitbash together so the price is just too much for two or three items I want.

Side note/question. Does anyone else's Daz crash when they have the FAC rig attached and they move the character away from the zero position on the grid? This isn't a 8.1 issue either, it was crashing with the FAC attachment they released for G8 a couple months ago, but I was so saddened when it happened the other day when I had Victoria 8.1 loaded in for my scene and I moved her around. Nothing happens if you don't move the character away from it's starting spot, but every time I move the character it doesn't last. 

melissastjames said:

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

I think the only reason to buy Mikey 8.1 is if you need massive face controls and better animation. 

But you get the new facial rig with the base G8.1 Male, correct? So really there is no reason at all to buy M8.1 unless you want the awful body hair or to mix his shape with other morphs?

correct. G 8.1 M also has body hair on his base texture, but not as much....  

m81.png
    1800 x 1440 - 2M
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,052

JOdel said:

vwrangler said:

A puzzling thing: according to his product page, Michael 8.1 includes 3Delight settings, and Victoria didn't. He also includes an add-on character in his first bundle, and Victoria didn't include a character in either of her bundles.

Beyond that, he's MUCH younger looking than Michael 8, and not nearly as lantern-jawed.

Mostly, I just kind of want Trance, though.

Where does it say there are 3DL settings. I looked and didn't see any. 

The product details list "03 Subsurface Level Presets (3Delight)", but that's the only mention of 3DL. Probably a copy/paste from M8 page not modified properly

For the record, there's the same line on V8.1 page.

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited January 2021

I got Michael 8.1 and I do like his look.

I do not think he looks like a toon but he does look, compared to Michael 7, very young.

I am not impressed with the body hair, it does look very unrealistic and I shall not be using it.

The Vellus hair on the other hand looks nice.

With Michael 8.1 it depends very much on the light to bring out the eyes and skin details/textures

Do I need Michael 8.1 in my life, no, but then, yes I do :)

Here is a portrait I made.

Michael 8.1 HD with vellus hair.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by Petra on

daveso said:

melissastjames said:

mwokee said:

Romulus71 said:

correct. G 8.1 M also has body hair on his base texture, but not as much....  

Painted body hair is the devil, lol. To my knowledge, the base G8M (and G8M.1) use Michael 7's textures...and the painted body hair on that texture set is eeek bad.  

• melissastjames said:

RenderScot said:

just to show what the vellus hair looks like in a close up  basic render i know   just to let you see

So there is actual vellus hair included with M8.1 separate from that awful body hair? 

yep i bought the bundle  but the hair is in the same folder as the body hair  and areas can be applied  seperately rendering atm but think i rem ears  mouth cheeks and nose seperate

• JUJUJUJU Posts: 1,120

Is that with or without HD Morph?

Petra said:

I got Michael 8.1 and I do like his look.

I do not think he looks like a toon but he does look, compared to Michael 7, very young.

I am not impressed with the body hair, it does look very unrealistic and I shall not be using it.

The Vellus hair on the other hand looks nice.

With Michael 8.1 it depends very much on the light to bring out the eyes and skin details/textures

Do I need Michael 8.1 in my life, no, but then, yes I do :)

Here is a portrait I made.