New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Yes, I had heard that about the nursing homes. However, where my Mom is had shut down before the state guidance (they are on the ball) and I don't see them opening up just because the state says they can. And I agree with that. People in droves are still coming down with Covid and there's tens of thousands of deaths every day and many people aren't wearing masks and social distancing. Until we all qualify to get the shot and most people have it (90 percent up IMO) restrictions shouldn't be lifted. Why go backwards when we're so close to getting it under control? Those new variants don't care that you want to go to a bar or out to dinner.

Mike not only had on a mask the entire time, it's one with a carbon filter so there were two layers of protection. He took Lysol wipes with him and wiped down everything in his hotel room when he got there. We think he got it on the plane, his colonel got it the previous month, flying that same airline to the same place. No way to tell for sure. :(   In other words, he did everything right and still got it.  He's stays over at Eglin during the week as he works there and it's too far to drive to Pensacola, we have a condo over there (our sons live there) so we're social distancing LOL for about ten days anyway. Since he took an airplane home, that exposes him again and he could be a carrier even if he doesn't show symptoms. From what I've read of actual cases, people have gotten reinfected again, but with that Regeneron, he wouldn't get that STRAIN again for a minimum of three months. The other variants, I don't know and don't intend to find out frown

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

Yeah, I am worried about my friends that are determined to NOT get the vaccine. It will be a long time before I can see them again.

My family in California is fragile but getting healthier but Covid could easily kill at least two of them. Just lucky my son has been able to work from home since the beginning, help with the kids and care for his wife. And her grandparents are fragile as well. So want so many to get the vaccine. So as I went out today I thanked everyone for their service, and added, 'Be Safe', 'Stay Home' (Winter storm warning this weekend, 1 - 2 feet of snow possible in Denver areas.) and then, get the vaccine! The J&J is available as of tomorrow in the stores' pharmacies for free.

Frontline workers are eligible finally in Colorado and our meatpacking plant in Greeley, that was hit so bad early on, had a mass vaccine operation at it last week.

I just saw on The Weather Channel that in addition to the snow, some places further east will be in the Torcon 5 range (50% chance of tornadoes.)  Anytime it's 3 up, it's dicey, so that's misleading. When Pensacola shut down at 6pm during a weekday, with a Torcon 8, it was a smart move. 80% chance, and we got hit with an EF3 almost a 4 which tore down Scenic Highway after cutting through a neighborhood. You may recall, as it crossed the bay and I was like, "Um it's headed toward the peninsula where Stetson's barn is." (Stayed north, thank goodness.) 

And speaking of weather, get ready for a VERY active hurricane season again. They actually increased what was "normal" by several storms in each category, so now even if it's a "normal" season that is more than we used to have. :(   Has anyone thought about how weird it is if they ever have to retire some Greek alphabet names? What do you replace them with?

• memcneil70 said:

Yeah, I am worried about my friends that are determined to NOT get the vaccine. It will be a long time before I can see them again.

My family in California is fragile but getting healthier but Covid could easily kill at least two of them. Just lucky my son has been able to work from home since the beginning, help with the kids and care for his wife. And her grandparents are fragile as well. So want so many to get the vaccine. So as I went out today I thanked everyone for their service, and added, 'Be Safe', 'Stay Home' (Winter storm warning this weekend, 1 - 2 feet of snow possible in Denver areas.) and then, get the vaccine! The J&J is available as of tomorrow in the stores' pharmacies for free.

Frontline workers are eligible finally in Colorado and our meatpacking plant in Greeley, that was hit so bad early on, had a mass vaccine operation at it last week.

Yeah, I'd be questioning whether some of those are worth keeping as friends unless they have a legitimate HEALTH reason to not get a vaccination. This thing has been serious enough and spreadable enough, and technically we don't even know yet how infectious a vaccinated but carrying individual might be to those not vaccinated, so people saying they won't get it because they think it's icky/comes with too many other issues/they don't want to be mildly ill for two days/they don't think it's a legitimate thing/they think we should have done it the old fashioned way and gotten EVERYONE sick.

We're working on getting on the list once we're eligible so that we can get ourselves vaccinated and at least improve our personal odds. I've already acknowledged that the earliest convention for us this year is Mile Hi Con in October (yes, like my username, I do live in Denver, Colorado, and we're prepped for the snowstorm), and that's coming with caveats regarding vaccination levels and what they determine with that factor being in the mix with regards to those who can't get vaccinated.

LynnInDenver said:

We're working on getting on the list once we're eligible so that we can get ourselves vaccinated and at least improve our personal odds. I've already acknowledged that the earliest convention for us this year is Mile Hi Con in October (yes, like my username, I do live in Denver, Colorado, and we're prepped for the snowstorm), and that's coming with caveats regarding vaccination levels and what they determine with that factor being in the mix with regards to those who can't get vaccinated.

I heard today that with Biden doubling the Johnson and Johnson vaccine production, they are now looking at May for it and the others to be available to everyone :)  And in his speech he was hopeful for a family-friends small group get together. In other words, not a football game stadium packed full, etc. The Johnson and Johnson one got a rather "meh" response because it isn't 95% for prevention, but it is near 100% for serious illness prevention or even hospitalization, so I won't bat an eye at grabbing that one. I turn 65 in June so yippee!  I'll see about getting the shot ASAP after that, but I am at the END of June- the 29th LOL so might as well be July. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,747

One friend's explanation why he won't get the vaccine is it was created 'too fast'! I have tried to explain the science that had been laid down in the past few decades to him but to no avail. You would think someone with a Geology degree would understand science. Science is my worse subject, but I have been following the explanations over the past 14 months. Some of it is WAY over my head, but then someone, like Dr. Fauci, will be interviewed and he will give a class in 'vaccines for dummies'. But it is also the scientists from major hospitals and universities all over the world. I have been so much respect for them. 

That friend and I generally end most conversations 'we will have to agree to disagree' and then talk science fiction, fantasy, fiction, Comic Con and writing and editing, Huskies (his) and American Eskimos (who owns me).

I can only hope everyone makes sensible decisions not only for themselves, but for their families, friends, co-workers, and for those who have been one the front lines keeping our society going. I wanted to cry myself when I saw a male nurse ready to breakdown when he heard about the opening up of his state. He had worked everyday since this started, 12 - 18 hr days. We are so close to blow it now.

Mary

• Yeah, most of the places opening up (still very prematurely IMHO, they might only have +70% on 70 and older, which is woefully insufficient) are places that the people in charge wanted this to all blow over (and it hasn't) and want everything to be on individuals alone to handle correctly (which many of us do, but enough won't ever that our efforts are rendered useless by them spreading their consequences around, not to mention that requires resources that all too often as an individual one isn't in a position to actually be able to muster through no fault of one's own).

edited March 2021

Heads up on one of the 2.99 PC for a day items- Arryn and Onnel have quite a few vendors who do materials for the dresses, and the Aimee Candy Dress has a nice variety over at Rendo. I always check the dresses over there, even if they are too low cut here, because sometimes the vendors will change up the neckline. They didn't on this one but the materials are very versatile. Just type in the Aimee Candy Dress in the search over there and you'll get several vendors. :) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,713

Anyone who bought the https://www.daz3d.com/escape-pod, have you been able to find any decent camera angles? I've only just got round to trying it out, and it's (as good as) impossible to line up a decent interior angle - certainly anything like the promos has eluded me. I'm close to returning the thing, no matter how much I like the look of it.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Nath said:

Anyone who bought the https://www.daz3d.com/escape-pod, have you been able to find any decent camera angles? I've only just got round to trying it out, and it's (as good as) impossible to line up a decent interior angle - certainly anything like the promos has eluded me. I'm close to returning the thing, no matter how much I like the look of it.

Haven't looked at it just now getting it downloaded

You may have to create an interior view camera as there doesn't appear to be any cameras in the package which IMHO would've been a nice touch and added value 

Robert Freise said:

Nath said:

Haven't looked at it just now getting it downloaded

You may have to create an interior view camera as there doesn't appear to be any cameras in the package which IMHO would've been a nice touch and added value 

There are no cameras included, so yeah, I'll have to make my own or give up. I hope I don't have to give up...

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,158

Novica said:

Has anyone thought about how weird it is if they ever have to retire some Greek alphabet names? What do you replace them with?

...what? 

edited March 2021

@gordig   We blew through the entire list of names for the hurricane season, and had to go into the Greek alphabet. We ended up with Zeta coming through to the west of here, so it wasn't bad. Sally was. So when a hurricane does extensive damage (usually Category 3,4,5) they retire the name. It's going to be weird if they have to start retiring the Greek alphabet ones and we skip those letters.

For regular names, if a "T" storm gets retired, let's say "Thomas" then they replace Thomas with another "T" storm, say "Tim."  But if you retire a Greek LETTER like Zeta, they can't replace it. Maybe they could, if they did "Zeta2"

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2021

I see. I live on the Best Coast, so I never really need to think about hurricanes. I didn't know they used the Greek alphabet, which seems like an odd choice to me. 

Post edited by Gordig on
    edited March 2021

Gordig said:

I see. I live on the Best Coast, so I never really need to think about hurricanes. I didn't know they used the Greek alphabet, which seems like an odd choice to me. 

LOL not as odd as some of the regular names they come up with. Seriously, many Russian sounding names. We got hit with Ivan. And they pick Spanish names which the meteorologists have trouble saying, etc.  I picked a random year, and right off the bat, here's the 2019 list:

• Andrea.
    • Barry.
    • Chantal.
    • Dorian.
    • Erin.
    • Fernand.
    • Gabrielle.
    • Humberto.   SERIOUSLY. They had to pick a silent "H" name?  It's "umberto." 

Here's the 2021 list. My son Sam is on there :)   And we have married friends- Ana and Bill!  Bet they get a laugh out of this.

Post edited by Novica on

Oh yeah, don't forget to move your clocks forward tonight an hour if your state observes Daylight Savings Time! 

Ah yes, the two weeks that DAZ changes over at 0700 AM rather than 0800 for me :-)

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261

Novica said:

Oh yeah, don't forget to move your clocks forward tonight an hour if your state observes Daylight Savings Time! 

https://youtu.be/umj0gu5nEGs

Novica said:

Gordig said:

LOL not as odd as some of the regular names they come up with. Seriously, many Russian sounding names. We got hit with Ivan. And they pick Spanish names which the meteorologists have trouble saying, etc.  I picked a random year, and right off the bat, here's the 2019 list:

• Andrea.
    • Barry.
    • Chantal.
    • Dorian.
    • Erin.
    • Fernand.
    • Gabrielle.
    • Humberto.   SERIOUSLY. They had to pick a silent "H" name?  It's "umberto." 

Here's the 2021 list. My son Sam is on there :)   And we have married friends- Ana and Bill!  Bet they get a laugh out of this.

The H is silent in Henri, too. It's pronounced "on-ri". 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

Novica said:

Has anyone thought about how weird it is if they ever have to retire some Greek alphabet names? What do you replace them with?

They're not retiring the Greek letters, exactly. They're dating them. I don't think it applied to any of the Greek letter names from 2020 -- I don't think any of them were destructive/deadly enough to warrant retirement, since most of them didn't hit land -- but if we get that far this year (which is expected) and one of them is a category 3-5 that hits land (or a very wet Category 2, which has happened before), the "retired" name will be, for example, Epsilon 2021. If we get that far again next year and the same thing happens, that one will be Epsilon 2022, and so on.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I have stayed with 4.12.  Is there someone in the thread that is knowledgeable and would share what I need to look for in the product description to indicate that the skin is pbr/will not work in 4.12?  https://www.daz3d.com/sase-bellina-for-genesis-8-female-and-8.1-females indicates 8.0 and 8.1 but both versions seem to be pbr skin.   The skin looked quite nice in the main promo image.  I really don't need another female, so it's not a great loss and has been returned.  Thanks for any tips!

I've been so offline and not following the latest "advancements" I don't even know what pbr skin IS. So I looked it up and it's Physically Based Rendering which is more realistic with how light interacts with skin. Okay, so now I'm wondering how to tell if the figure I am rendering is PBR or not? And maybe someone can help gitika1 ? (Sorry, I'm clueless but we'll get you an answer with the other forum surfers. The most knowledgeable folks on the planet IMO.)  @barbult @ladair to mention a few.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Novica said:

I've been so offline and not following the latest "advancements" I don't even know what pbr skin IS. So I looked it up and it's Physically Based Rendering which is more realistic with how light interacts with skin. Okay, so now I'm wondering how to tell if the figure I am rendering is PBR or not? And maybe someone can help gitika1 ? (Sorry, I'm clueless but we'll get you an answer with the other forum surfers. The most knowledgeable folks on the planet IMO.)  @barbult @ladair to mention a few.

Daz introduced the new PBR skin shader with Genesis 8.1. Victoria 8.1 has it, but the Base Genesis 8.1 still uses the Iray Uber shader.  It is just another shader for Iray in Daz Studio, as far as I know.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited March 2021

gitika1 said:

I have stayed with 4.12.  Is there someone in the thread that is knowledgeable and would share what I need to look for in the product description to indicate that the skin is pbr/will not work in 4.12?  https://www.daz3d.com/sase-bellina-for-genesis-8-female-and-8.1-females indicates 8.0 and 8.1 but both versions seem to be pbr skin.   The skin looked quite nice in the main promo image.  I really don't need another female, so it's not a great loss and has been returned.  Thanks for any tips!

Unfortunately, Daz isn't requiring/enforcing any sort of consistent labeling standards from PAs or themselves, the way they did with the shift from 3Delight to Iray, so there's no consistent way to tel what the shader is from the product description. It's not even consistent from product to product by the same vendor. For example, Leon for G8M/G8.1 by Emrys says, in his product description:

• Daz Studio Iray Uber Material Presets (.DUF)
    • Daz Studio PBR Material Presets (.DUF)

However, just about every other Genesis 8.1 character I've seen says only "Daz Studio Iray Material Presets (.DUF)", including other G8.1 characters by Emrys. This includes the other few characters (all female, I think) that are designated as "for Genesis 8 and Genesis 8.1 Female". Leon is literally the only product I've seen that explicitly states that he includes both setups.

It's understandable, I guess -- Iray is Iray, and they're both shader presets for Iray, so the generic product information statement isn't wrong, it's just profoundly unhelpful. (To be sure, Daz does have a vested interest in trying to push people to the latest and greatest version of Studio.)

Novica said:

On a newer character, you'd need to look at the surfaces tab, although to the best of my knowledge, most of the "for Genesis 8 M/F" characters are still using the old Iray Uber shader; SASE characters may be an exception, or the leading edge of the change. The shader name will actually be shown as "PBR Skin" in the Surfaces tab, and many of the properties are quite different. Among other things, PBRSkin lacks the Base Color Mixing option, which means that Scatter and Transmit and Reflectance Tint do not exist as options in that shader.

Post edited by vwrangler on

@vwrangler   Thanks!  that should help. :) Next time I'll put barbult L'adair and vwrangler   cheeky

I'm not going to link to it because it would show up as a forum reference on the product page with the plug-in and this is just my opinion. Those palm trees in today's tropical island/Philippine seem way too dark and not shaggy enough, they look cartoony to me.  Google Philippine palm trees and you'll see they're very similar to Florida and other tropical places. They just don't match the quality of the rest of the product, the hut looks decent. What's your impression? 

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675
    Novica said:

I'm not going to link to it because it would show up as a forum reference on the product page with the plug-in and this is just my opinion. Those palm trees in today's tropical island/Philippine seem way too dark and not shaggy enough, they look cartoony to me.  Google Philippine palm trees and you'll see they're very similar to Florida and other tropical places. They just don't match the quality of the rest of the product, the hut looks decent. What's your impression? 

My first thoughts were more about how unpleasant it would be to survive on an island with only fish and coconuts to eat. Also, her dress looks awfully clean and modern.... Is she making her own soap? But I'm probably over thinking things.

I took another look and yeah the trees look a little cartoony. There's something about the green chosen for the vegetation that doesn't help. The hut is nice. To be fair, as a whole it's still pretty nice compared to a lot of stuff that gets sold around here.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

they almost look plastic! :|

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2021

Unfortunately Daz is not making it transparent if the new characters are using the PBR skin shader or not the only real way to know is to purchase and then return if it does and you can't use it.  Shame if you ask me, but thats my opinion, specially since a ton of Daz sales depend on by this get that for this percent off etc.   AND the new PBRSS does not work in earlier versions of DS so you have to upgrade to 4.15.

I thought the hut looked pretty cool in the Beauty in Paradise set but I was not impressed with the trees and grass they looked cartoony to me also.  And the waters edge is very calm but very frothy...

Does anyone have any opinions on Hamsters hairs?  Theres just not much posted in the few I looked at on the older hairs.

Post edited by Daventaki on

Looking a bit more at that product, I do like the beach and water gradient, where they gradually meet. That's a lot better than the typically harsh "here's the water, here's the beach" sharp delineation. May eventually get this when/if deeply discounted as I will remove all the contents of that island. They did blend vegetation down towards the shore with a few grass scragglers, but overall I think there's too much grass, grass is too high, and the trees are subpar. The hut on the other hand appeals to me, not sure how thick that bed mat is though.