New! Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 14

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited March 2021

In case you missed this one, Rory has burn materials. I need to start looking a main promos more closely. I don't need her right now but she is in the discounted stores.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2021

I haven't forgotten about the Zhi render, I just got sidetracked. :)  The Mercedes Hair and 1400 px render took about an hour and a half to render, plus I had windows open and really need to reboot my computer. So not blaming the hair totally.

Post edited by Novica on
  • DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Thanks for the heads up @Novica unfortunately i was at work and missed out.  I pretty much do nothing but eat sleep work those three days.  But im sure there will be more in the future.

About Rory make sure you check the full body promos also if your interested cause she has a orange/yellow cast in them. I did not purchase her because of that reason.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

Perhaps this is old news... but I just found out that PoserAddicts dot com is closing in June. It´s all very dated stuff, but if you´re interested, I guess it´s the last chance!

@hylas  Thanks for the heads up, but the site simply would NOT let me register. Over and over again, and yep, I tried different passwords, nothing would take. And they require you to register to buy, so nada for me.

edited March 2021

So nursing home/retirement communities are back open as of last week, but I told the Activities gal Ci Pwff and I would still visit from the patio, but now with the screen door  instead of the closed glass one. And they know I open the door and let Pwff go to the recliner to be petter. Today for the first time in a year I stepped inside the room to take the photo. :)  Yes, I wore my mask. Taking no chances and was about eight feet away except for stepping through the patio door then backing up to take the photo. Once I get my second shot April 16, then by the 26th (10 days later) I'll be completely vaccinated. Since we'll both be completely vaccinated, it will be mask free! :)  (I'm still keeping my distance though, since she's 93 years old.)

It was 77 today and balmy, very windy. So sad to hear about that long-lived tornado now slighly past Birmingham. It was on the ground off and on for TWO HUNDRED MILES and has killed three people so far. (And still going. Stay safe Alabama!) 

IMG_1492.JPG
    560 x 662 - 233K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Wonderful picture

Sweet image Novica! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,684

Wonderful news of your mom and love the picture. I hadn't heard about the tornado yet. This is being a tough year for everyone all around.

• SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Lovely picture, Novica. Glad to hear you both are on the path to full vaccination. Stay safe! 

• Wonderful picture! Thanks for sharing.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092

Lovely photo: it looks like your mother really enjoyed the visit.

edited March 2021

Well, I remembered I needed to use my $18 required PC+ coupon so since I was buying some new things (yep, my resolved went kaput with male offerings. I am going to support those vendors.)  Here's what I got, they were 50% off in the featured stores with the required new mad items, then went to 65% with the PC+.  I like their eyebrows.  Nice job @lyoness  heart

Ravna HD for Genesis 8 Female

Ravna HD for Genesis 8 Female

$19.95      $6.90    65%

Bodhi HD for Genesis 8 Female

Bodhi HD for Genesis 8 Female

$18.95      $6.55       65%

Post edited by Novica on

Novica I just sent you a site mail.

edited March 2021

Zhi for Kayo 8                 Mercedes Hair (G3/ G8F)         dForce Cora Outfit (G8F)         MRL dForce Long Layered Hair

Looking At Poses (G8F)              Festive Balls Low Res Decorations and Shaders  (for the middle of the silver belt) 

The dress has all kinds of Christmas pattern options, so be sure and note that for the next holiday season :)   I didn't render the bag.  I love the hair, but would postwork a few strands to fill in the thin transparency of that back area.   Classy:  Cover Photo Light Set and Vignette has a very nice chair and wall. This is the first time I've used that lighting and I like it.

As mentioned above, I used a shader for the middle of the belt. It was too drab IMO. 

zhi.png
    850 x 1400 - 3M
    zhi 3.png
    611 x 900 - 875K
    zhi 2.jpg
    950 x 1400 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,748
    edited March 2021

Quick review of "Real Dynamic Atmospheres MultiPak" from the 2.99 section. I didn´t really understand what exactly this product was but I liked those dramatic skies from the promos and thought, let´s give it a try.

Unfortunately I didn´t like the product at all and requested a refund after playing with it for less than an hour. I mean no disrespect to the creator and obviously my opinion is 100% subjective. There´s nothing wrong with the product... I just don´t like it.

Those beautiful pictures of clouds, sunsets, comets, and such are just flat images that get dropped in environment. Additionally the product contains several sun/sky presets and some very simple props; amongst others a large, flat ground plane, some tree props, and a cyclorama for the horizon. There´s several scenes where all those elements are pre-arranged in harmonious ways so all you have to do is drop in your characters (and additional props) and pose them.

The props probably render quickly but they´re too simplistic for my taste and as a result the scenes end up looking dated. Because the sky is a flat image it will always look exactly the same, which will look strange if you´re rendering a series of pictures from different camera angles, for example for a story. You also can´t enable DOF because again, the sky is a flat image, so it won´t blur like it realistically would.

Perhaps there´s folks who can coax good results out of this product. If you do I´d love to hear about it and see your renders!

Unfortunately it´s not for me and to be honest I´m a little bewildered by it. But requesting refunds is no problem around here, so no harm done!

Post edited by Hylas on
    edited April 2021

@hylas   Thanks for the review :)  It helps, and every review is opinion and it's nice to know your experience.

What I did this morning (2am) was use my PC+ coupon (already!)  so they went 70% off. Alvaro is a heavyset guy and worth adding to your gene pool IMO
    For Alisa, I love her skin color, and I think she may make a great younger child with Growing Up.  And for $9 you get a character and hair, with a lot of blowing morphs. (Note you do have to buy two things as per the current promo to get it to drop to 50% from 40%) then use PC+ coupon. 

So I'm going for 70% on these two with my April coupon for the $18 qualifying coupon. It was over $18 so I was able to apply that one.

Shopping Cart

Grand Total $14.78

70%

Subtotal $48.90
    Post edited by Novica on

Novica, thanks for the post! I am not sure how I missed Alisa and when I put her in my cart and used my coupon, along with a loyalty discount of 15%, she went to $11.02. My total cart went to 72% off. I was able to get some pose sets, characters, and weapons that I am finding I need for a series of renders I am doing. And also some just because they are nice and I like them things! 

On Covid, a PSA. My state Colorado had started to open up businesses by counties, and we had pushed our average rate down to around 3.25, but we are now up 25% and our governor is now extending the mask mandate another month. Please, if your state/country has no mask mandate, still wear yours and protect yourself, your family, friends and simple strangers. The virus mutations are spreading faster than the vaccinations. 

@memcneil70  Until you mentioned a loyalty discount, I didn't know I had one. Another orange banner was covering it up. (Be sure and clear those out, lesson learned.)  So I assume those other things in your cart took some of that 6.00 as a discount. 

I did have to buy a few of the PC+ for a day at the higher price, as several days I forgot to check out with items from there in my cart. Stupid me. But 3.99 is still a good price.

edited April 2021

I actually had to go back and get another cart, I forgot some Daz O's for old G2M clothes I wanted. But something I noticed and I am not sure if anyone else has seen this as well; yesterday, I was in need of more medieval/fantasy/historical clothing/weapons/sets... and was searching on the store and putting things on my wishlist. And today, almost every single item ended up in the Daz O's that were on sale! So I added two OOT new hairs that I had not purchased at the time of their initial release, but liked. 

So is Daz monitoring what we are looking at and then putting them into sales really quick? It worked out for me, so no complaints. I can use the items for this project.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Well I was pretty sure I wasn't going to buy anything this weekend & here they put the 3Djoji Truck Bundle in PC for a Day, put the Underground Bunker Mine dirt cheep, put the Subway Environment dirt cheap and on and on until I had about 13 items in my cart for $43. Not to be missed when deals are that good. Every item but 2 I wanted was less than $5 and the 2 that weren't were both less than $7.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313
    edited April 2021

Wow - if anyone else here is always hating the daz-cart-game where you put things in and take things out while you're shopping (or end up having a textfile open always where you can paste and copy URLs for items to put in and out of cart to save having to go browsing/searching so much and to avoid forgetting items...) -- I found a helpful dodge to get around the fact that Daz doesn't have a "save for later" cart mechanism like Amazon.   

Shockingly, the microsoft Edge browser seems pretty good finally, and a recent feature addition is COLLECTIONS.   I found that I could drag an item right from my Daz cart into a Collection in the Edge browser. Then when you want to put it back into the cart, you can just click that item in the Edge Collection pane and it will open to the product page where you can click the add to cart button.   Collections in the Edge browser are just thumbnails & links to webpages that you add to a collection. You can keep them, or delete them or add/subtract pages from them any time. When you use the Collections tool it pops a sidebar on the right of your screen that lets you see your collections, make new ones, delete them etc, and so you can be on the daz cart page and simply drag an item from the cart into the collection pane and into the collection you have open.  Before this, another common gambit for me would be to simply open items from the cart in new tabs then remove them from cart as wanted, then I could easily re-add them from their tabs when needed and wouldn't forget any items, but I usually have w a a y too may tabs open all the time, so this is not a good strategy really. Collections are just thumbs with links so they're more resource-friendly way of keeping fast, easy access at hand. 

As example: working the last of the MM sale, I had 32 items in my cart, and then remembered there was a deal for Gift Cards, and decided to use 3 (of the 32) items in a first cart & add a GC to work that deal, then a second cart to get the other items and use a coupon. With the Collections tool, what would have been a longer more tedious cart-gaming exercise was m u c h less painful; I just drug the 29 items into a collection in a few seconds, cashed out that first cart, and then on the cart page, just clicked down the list of items in the collection I'd made for daz carting, and as each page loaded, hit the add-to-cart button, and went to the next item in collection, rinse & repeat to set up my second cart.  Not as good as having the ability to have multiple carts staged at Daz ;) but having an easy scratchboard to line up products does make it easier to do the swapping/testing/thunderdome-ing that I do and know many other Daz shoppers do.  Give the Edge & the Collections tool a try!
       ~Gen

Post edited by genaris on

@genaris  That sounds interesting!  Definitely moreso than the Season Pass to me LOL. I am shocked it is only two months!  For those of you who get it, I hope it works for you. I'm going to skip it simply because I am cutting back on products- greatly. The truck won't start in the driveway, the almost new refrigerator stopped working, and my son's Alienware is going ka-put. I'm looking at getting him a desktop with the RTX 3080, as he is the video game developer. Computer specs are so confusing, I hadn't remembered until he and I started wading through all that gibberish.

With everything breaking and going wrong,  I'm just glad hurricane season isn't going on right now, lol. 

Regarding the season pass, even if my problems didn't exist, not knowing how Pro Bundles play into those base characters being provided just didn't appeal to me. I don't care about render contests or tutorials, so most of the season pass was a waste. I don't care about a forum badge, either. 

I'm excited for those of you who are participating and look forward to seeing those characters in this thread  angel   

edited April 2021

Novica, I have the Season Pass in my cart. While I agree with you that the contests and tutorials are probably a waste for me (never have time for them; I know I could be improved by them), but I am look at my 'bad' habit of caving in to buy each named DO character since I joined Daz and PC+.

The only ones I won't buy voluntarily are horror characters or centaurs. I did get the centaurs in G3M, but never used them; only finally got the rest when they were totally free, but I will pass on the horror characters and give up a free bundle totally.

So I can expect I will buy the new 8.1 characters and their HD add-ons. I am worried about the 'free items' considering some of the things recently that have been in bundles that I have skipped over and just bought the character and some hairs.

In another thread, some folks are missing the point that there are two prices right now, one for PC+ members $149 and $199 for non-PC+. That includes five characters and their Add-ons, so that means realistic characters.

Because of sales offers it is hard to exactly know what a named character costs but with Torment 8.1, if I divide the price $41.41 by the 10 items in the Temptations Bundle he cost $4.14. The HD Add-on was $11.11. Or the August 8.1 character cost me 4.72 essentially, as I had three items from the items offered in the bundle already. No HD Add-on available. And August was two characters!

I will be honest, I don't like the idea of a badge thingie that advertises my purchase choice to everyone on the forums. It feels like an invasion of my privacy.

I do have one plus right now, my tax returns came in a few weeks after my filing, so I have a little to play with. (Knock on wood.) I totally understand your position. Most of my return is going to be saved.

Mary

Edit: Bought it and that thing showed up. But no purchase page is able to be printed. So print your shopping cart and order email.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
    edited April 2021

memcneil70 said:

I will be honest, I don't like the idea of a badge thingie that advertises my purchase choice to everyone on the forums. It feels like an invasion of my privacy.

Edit: Bought it and that thing showed up. But no purchase page is able to be printed. So print your shopping cart and order email.

I agree with that, the badge should be optional. 
    Thanks for letting everyone know about the purchase page. :)  

Post edited by Novica on
  • EtaminEtamin Posts: 126

The season pass doesn't really appeal to me.  I am not concerned about early access to new characters or contests, and I already have way too much content - currently pruning my wishlist radically.  Five base chars and their HDs for $149 means $30 for each pair.  Most of the pro bundles I have bought cost maybe $30 to $40, or less if I waited long enough.  Plus these are sight unseen, so no control or choice regarding that purchase.  I definitely do not like the idea of the badge either.

I apologize if this sounds too negative, but recent changes including part one bundles followed by part two with repeated main char, plus old content in both is very unappealing, and I have zero interest in NFTs.

Still, the new store behaves so much better wink

@Etamin, no not negative. We all weigh the pros and cons. Real world issues are serious now for a lot of people and for me, my runtime is bulging with items I don't use. If I hadn't got my tax returns in when I did, I might have decided to spread out my spending. I know I will buy the characters and their HDs. I am weak. So weak. And I am not that crazy with the bundle offerings over the past year or so. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

I'm not buying the season pass. Not a fan of the store's latest sales gimmicks, but I also don't see value in tutorials contests, and "Forum flair."

To me the forum flair is somewhat embarrassing. I personally would not want to advertise I'd bought into the scheme, so I agree that it would be nice to turn it off. Some people might not care, but it would embarrass me. 

As far as the releases go, I suspect they will want the new service to succeed so I hope they will be worth everyone's time, and those people who paid for it are happy.

Serene Night said:

I'm not buying the season pass. Not a fan of the store's latest sales gimmicks, but I also don't see value in tutorials contests, and "Forum flair."

To me the forum flair is somewhat embarrassing. I personally would not want to advertise I'd bought into the scheme, so I agree that it would be nice to turn it off. Some people might not care, but it would embarrass me. 

As far as the releases go, I suspect they will want the new service to succeed so I hope they will be worth everyone's time, and those people who paid for it are happy.

Great point.  1. Someone else mentioned on the Commons thread this first offering will probably be the best one, as they want it to succeed. I think you're spot-on with that thinking :)   
    Something else in that thread which has been repeated several times- 2.  instead of concocting new approaches, fix what you already have. Stop telling people things submitted in tickets "won't be fixed" or are just ignored for months and months (or longer.)   

And having a negative reaction to something (as in the opposite of "positive" meaning "love it!") is NOT the same as being negative. yes  If that were the case, there's a WHOLE BUNCH of us negative folks in the forums LOL. 

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited April 2021

Novica said:

And having a negative reaction to something (as in the opposite of "positive" meaning "love it!") is NOT the same as being negative. yes  If that were the case, there's a WHOLE BUNCH of us negative folks in the forums LOL.

this new season pass is definitely not for me either!!! and I 100% agree with this :) 

Post edited by Tim82 on