The My Bucket's Got a Hole In It Complaint thread

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited March 2021

McGyver said:

Mystiarra said:

1 week to Spring.  too cold to open my door today. brrr

Yeah, what the hell was that this morning?... 25°F?...  Who's idea was that?...it was 68°F on Friday... No thank you cold.

Well, at least it didn't snow again.

Yet.

...going to get down to 30° Fs tonight here. Didn't even make it past the mid 40s after reaching the low 60s on Saturday.

I put away my snowblower... it lives in a special shed/cart with its friend the generator... it's a bit awkward to put away, so I'm assuming it's going snow again because I went through the trouble of putting it back into storage.

So yes, when it snows again, it's my fault.

...just don't wash the car.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,178

Complaint:  I've got monthly payday coming on Wednesday.  Stimulus check should be available on Wednesday too.  My bills are already paid off.  I'm "swimming" in discretionary cash but I can't justify buying any new computer gizmo.  I already have several terrabytes of unused storage.  All my memory slots are full.  I have more computers than I need.  My network is complete.   I've lost interest in a VR headset.  I've long wanted an audio amplifier and great speakers, but these days, my hearing's so boogered that I most often wear headphones.  I have no interest in a 4K monitor or TV (eyesight issues).  Don't need new clothes.  It's frightening, but there's nothing that I need.sad

I guess that frees me up to finally buy a new office chair, but I don't like what I see at Amazon or NewEgg.  It's all either cheap bonded leather or cheap fabric with minimal position adjustments.  For something like that I really want to go sit in it and try it out.  My back, hips, legs, and feet need coddling these days.  But to go try one out I'd have to get a ride from someone.  There's only one decent furniture store in the nearest city.  To really get a selection I'd have to go to Erie, PA or Buffalo, NY and it's hard enough getting a ride 10 miles, and forget asking for a ride 60 miles.

...even in the city, being "automotively challenged" is a pain.  I've found items I could definitely use (like a nice solid wood half height dresser I found at my favourite second hand shop for 40$) but unless it's a big box, major chain, or department store, which are often ridiculously expensive, you have to figure out how to get whatever you buy home yourself. Yeah, for furniture particularly I like to actually see it, touch it, sit in it, etc. 

As for my stimulus, looking to get a 2 TB SSD to transfer my Daz Library to for improving response and then repurpose the HDD for storage. Would be nice to get an ATX  server board so I can increase the memory even more (maybe a dual socket and add a second Xeon X5660 for 12 cores 24 threads) but it would mean also having to find another copy of W7 Pro as the one I'm running is an OEM.  

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,486

kyoto kid said:

...even in the city, being "automotively challenged" is a pain.  I've found items I could definitely use (like a nice solid wood half height dresser I found at my favourite second hand shop for 40$) but unless it's a big box, major chain, or department store, which are often ridiculously expensive, you have to figure out how to get whatever you buy home yourself. Yeah, for furniture particularly I like to actually see it, touch it, sit in it, etc. 

As for my stimulus, looking to get a 2 TB SSD to transfer my Daz Library to for improving response and then repurpose the HDD for storage. Would be nice to get an ATX  server board so I can increase the memory even more (maybe a dual socket and add a second Xeon X5660 for 12 cores 24 threads) but it would mean also having to find another copy of W7 Pro as the one I'm running is an OEM.  

I feel your pain... For the last 3 decades the public transportation has been driven down, the only buses remaining are the ones picking up and dropping off school kids in the woods and now they have decided to raise the price of gasoline up to 2Euros/Litre, which would roughly be in the ballpark of 8USD/Gallon... Fortunately, we can use our time raking the woods here in Finland laugh

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

complaint  Feels Like20°F

how do you stop the frikkin apple id verificartion>  only option is not now.  need a permanent not ever.

• HonzoHonzo Posts: 193

Complaint:  Spring is springing, the snow has melted, and now I have three months of Great Dane poop to deal with.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Legit complaint... I finally went around the house and set all the digital clocks ahead to daylight savings time (or regular time, whatever it is) and no less that 30 minutes later the power company flicked off the power just long enough for all of them to start flashing "12:00"... "12:00"... "12:00"...  "12:00"... "12:00"...

edited March 2021

Honzo said:

Complaint:  Spring is springing, the snow has melted, and now I have three months of Great Dane poop to deal with.

I genuinely hope you have a Great Dane... that would truly suck otherwise... especially if none of your neighbors own one either.

This also would beg the question "how did you know it's Great Dane poop if you don't own one?"... 

Of course you could have seen it pooping out there, or had seen someone delivering tons of Great Dane poop in some sort of dump truck or hopper truck with "Great Dane Poop Co." on the side... coincidentally there is a truck trailer manufacturer named "Great Dane" and they make a variety of trailers for all sorts of purposes and technically poop delivery could be one of them... so like if it was an unmarked truck and a small red oval with Great Dane was the only identification on it, that might just be the manufacturer logo...  it could actually be bear poop or sea lion poop... I totally could see a zoo or aquarium pulling something like that.

Or possibly you are a forensic technician like the ones on CSI Miami who have all those ginormous Star Trek computers and transparent monitors in a super technologically sophisticated room which I'm pretty sure they got from the alien technology division at Area 51... I love the way they find a grain of sand in a victim's sock and the pop it into a centrifuge with lasers and an eerie green glow and in two seconds they are like "according to the computer this type of sand only occurs in a patch of earth next to the front door of 657 Ocean Drive, which is own by Frank Smith, who is sitting in front of his TV eating nachos and wear grey sweat pants right now"... technically the last part would probably be a reasonable guess in real life today, since like 50% of the people out there are probably doing that thanks to Covid... 

Well, I'm just going to assume you have a cuddly Great Dane and all that other stuff I mentioned is just wild and insane speculation on my part.

Good luck with the poop!

Post edited by McGyver on

McGyver said:

Legit complaint... I finally went around the house and set all the digital clocks ahead to daylight savings time (or regular time, whatever it is) and no less that 30 minutes later the power company flicked off the power just long enough for all of them to start flashing "12:00"... "12:00"... "12:00"...  "12:00"... "12:00"...

The world is deliberately picking on you. 

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019

McGyver said:

They are watching. 

edited March 2021

Well, I've gotten part one of my vaccine... the guy in the van on the side of the road said it was Pfizer, but it tasted like warm Budweiser... 

Actually it was at Stonybrook university, and the sign said it was Pfizer... 

That actually was the least noticeable shot I've ever gotten in recent memory... I barely felt anything... like I had to check to see if there really was a dot where the injection was... my wife said she saw the needle, but that was weirdly mild... like maybe like snagging an arm hair for nanosecond.

Well... part 2 opens on April 6... so hopefully everything works out.

Post edited by McGyver on
    edited March 2021

...yeah got mine last week, likewise didn' feel it at all at the time though shoulder was sore over the weekend (one of the known side effects).  My second does is April 5th 

McGyver said:

Or possibly you are a forensic technician like the ones on CSI Miami who have all those ginormous Star Trek computers and transparent monitors in a super technologically sophisticated room which I'm pretty sure they got from the alien technology division at Area 51... I love the way they find a grain of sand in a victim's sock and the pop it into a centrifuge with lasers and an eerie green glow and in two seconds they are like "according to the computer this type of sand only occurs in a patch of earth next to the front door of 657 Ocean Drive, which is own by Frank Smith, who is sitting in front of his TV eating nachos and wear grey sweat pants right now"... technically the last part would probably be a reasonable guess in real life today, since like 50% of the people out there are probably doing that thanks to Covid... 

Sitting her wearing black sweats and looking at a computer screen, so yeah, not to far off.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,708
    Oops my bad?
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

kyoto kid said:

...yeah got mine last week, likewise didn' feel it at all at the time though shoulder was sore over the weekend (one of the known side effects).  My second does is April 5th 

McGyver said:

Sitting her swearing black sweats and looking at a computer screen, so yeah, not to far off.

If you're swearing at black sweats you might be doing it wrong.

Miss Bad Wolf said:

Oops my bad?

The Great Dane poop or the power outage?

I can't log into my gmail account for some reason. Probably because I changed my phone number.

Miss Bad Wolf said:

Oops my bad?

The Great Dane poop or the power outage?

I can't stay logged into my WiFi.
  • SeraSera Posts: 1,675

Complaint: If the Many-worlds theory is true, then there is a dimension where Cthulhu (or something like him) has acquired the power to travel to other universes and is now going from reality to reality, destroying whole worlds at a time. 

In some realities, he comes to earth in 2021 and literally causes the end of the world. In one universe he does it on 3/16/21, in another, it happens on 3/17/21. In a third, it happens on 3/18/21. 

There are countless universes where Cthulhu has destroyed or will destroy the earth and we could be living in one of them.

It could be happening at any time on any day in any part of the world.

No... It WILL happen at every time on every day and in every part of the world. 

Science is terrifying. 

edited March 2021

I don't subscribe to the many-worlds theory.  But to those who do and ponder the infinite ways Cthulhu destroys the world, consider that there are multiple more infinite number of ways that he doesn't.  Infinity is terrifying.indecision

And yes, some infinities are larger than others.  Ask your friendly neighborhood mathematician.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

LeatherGryphon said:

I don't subscribe to the many-worlds theory.  But to those who do and ponder the infinite ways Cthulhu destroys the world, consider that there are multiple more infinite number of ways that he doesn't.  Infinity is terrifying.indecision

And yes, some infinities are larger than others.  Ask your friendly neighborhood mathematician.

I still think it's scary. sad 

scorching my tonsils on chxn biryani.  i seeing dead people.  

• certaintree38 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

The many worlds interpretation of Quantum theory still requires that the worlds be physically possible - there has to be a way for out ancestral quantum state to develop into each of the worlds required, it doesn't permit magic (or no more than our world does).

TJohn said:

McGyver said:

They are watching. 

Murphy?

prolly a mrs murphy

Richard Haseltine said:

certaintree38 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

The many worlds interpretation of Quantum theory still requires that the worlds be physically possible - there has to be a way for out ancestral quantum state to develop into each of the worlds required, it doesn't permit magic (or no more than our world does).

I wasn't thinking magic, just interdimensional travel in a scientific way, whether that be through mechanical or biological means. As for Cthulhu- it doesn't have to be a literal elder god to qualify. It could be any massive, hard-to-kill monster that looks like him and it's just as bad. 

edited March 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

certaintree38 said:

LeatherGryphon said:

That could be summarized as "In the fullness of Spacetime, anything not forbidden is inevitable."  That was my mantra when I was designing multi-tasking, multi-processing, multi-processor operating systems sharing memory (30 years ago).  Regardless of how unlikely it was that an event could occur that would violate my algorithm, it would (and did) happen eventually given the billions of opportunities during operation. 

One excellent example was when I literally spent several weeks in a radio free, shielded room, with an army of signal tracers monitoring several places within multiple processors trying to determine which impossible event was happening, how and why.  In the end I succeeded, but despite the event being impossible according to the rules of the data bus timing charts, there was some miniscule probability that a few electrons would get jammed going through a gate or the hinges on a gate would be a bit rusty, or a pulse would generate an echo or ghost, and "BOOM" system crash as processor B read a value before processor A was finished writing it. 

All programming measures to preclude that event were in place.  I knew the software and hardware designs inside and out, and yet the event would happen within about 20 minutes of run time.  My mind was consumed by that problem all my waking hours during that time.  It's a wonder that I didn't have an accident driving home on the Washington DC beltway.

It turned out to be a violation of the data bus specification, one pulse was specified to never happen before another pulse, guaranteeing that the memory data bus was locked while data was being written.  But I sat for long periods of time watching the pulses on the signal tracers and finally caught pulse B occuring before pulse A.  Ah ha GOTCHA!  Extremely unlikely, and no obvious explanation for it, because supposedly pulse A causes pulse B but yet it happened, and the moment that that unlikely event coincided with the unlikely event of pulse C from another processor requesting to read the memory cell at just that moment, the system would crash because the unfinished memory update became a corrupted pointer in a linked list sending the algorithm into never-never-land.sad

In the fullness of time anything not forbidden is inevitable.  But even more so in the quantum realm.surprise

Interestingly enough, it is the very unlikely event that a neutrino whizzing by an atom's nucleus emits a W or Z boson with a very small mass instead of its much more normal large mass, which is what permits neutrinos to be detected and is basically how the Weak Force happens.  It's weak because the extreme unlikeliness of an event is what permits a proton or neutron to split and give off radiation.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

i should take a look at the fasgrab sales page before i forget.

Got stuck in a Youtube hole while trying to vet new games before purchasing. Some of these content creators have nothing to say, but they do it with such charm and humor that I become transfixed. And don't get me started on the amount of time I have spent watching cat videos. It's not wasted time, exactly. But I do wish I had gotten more done today. 

I'm looking at ways to spend my stimulus money, but everything is going to cost more than I expected.

Also, I'm out of juice. 

Pooooo. 

certaintree38 said:

Pooooo. 

Do you have a Great Dane?

Fixmypcmike said:

kyoto kid said:

McGyver said:

Sitting her swearing black sweats and looking at a computer screen, so yeah, not to far off.

If you're swearing at black sweats you might be doing it wrong.

...sometimes even Word spell check doesn't catch accuracy typos as they make a real word  (arthritis is heck when you have a keyboard with a light touch, easy to hit two keys as the same time which is likely what happened)

Really wish they'd get a better spell check utility here in the forums, the one here is terrible and I don't use source mode as then all the HTML codes muddy things up.  I used to be able to use browser spell check but the extension that pulled it in borked months ago and has not been fixed.

starionwolf said:

i should take a look at the fasgrab sales page before i forget.

Ugh.... you made me buy stuff. 

LeatherGryphon said:

Thanks for those. I feel like I learned something. Not sure what, but definitely something.

If I listen to this stuff for long enough, I will end up absorbing some of it. That's the theory anyway. 

Fixmypcmike said: Do you have a Great Dane?

No, but I have two cats. So yeah, I shovel a lot of poo. 

This discussion has been closed.