HATE NEW DESIGN! Bring Back Shoip Dropdown Menu, PLEASE...!

IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
edited November 2014 in The Commons

*Gets on knees and grovels*
This makes shopping a huge pain. Please, PLEASE bring back the dropdown, and please return the wishlist to the upper right corner of the screen :(

Also, the new layout looks squarish, clunky, and retro, I don't like it.

Hey!! What happened to the Forum dropdown?! Bring that back too, please...

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,197
    edited November 2014

Must be they hired a new web guy. Or possibly somebody new in marketing wants to stir the pot to try to not be ignored. It didn't seem to me that the web site was broken, so why did they try to fix it?

I hate change! What was wrong with wearing loincloths, and scratching on rocks?

Once you're over 60, you come to know when the local grocery manager has attended a seminar. He comes back and changes the whole ^%@#$#@$% shelf layout.

Marketing people... bah humbug, surely they are passengers on the "Golgafrincham Ark Fleet, Ship B" along with the hairdressers, advertising account executives, and telephone sanitizers.
    http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Golgafrincham

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • Robert952Robert952 Posts: 141
    edited December 1969

Won't to go so far as to hate it in its entirety.

It will take some getting used to though. I had to reset my PW to get logged in which was strange. Have to investigate if there's other 'glitches'.

I agree a drop down from the 'SHOP" link to get to freebies, fast grab, etc. is a better item to have rather than wait for the slow scroll of the banner.

I like the "hide what I own". Have to see if that works with bundles where I have some of the items but not all (i.e. I click on the bundle, see the list but the stuff I own is not visible in the promo images.) If so it will help be determine if the bundle is worth buying. The approach of showing the bundles a prop/object is in helps.

So, unlike my usual bend, I will withhold wholesale judgement until I've had a chance to get use to it.

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited November 2014

Problem solved thanks to Daz_Rawb and Daz_Jon, will give the new site a shakedown with future purchases :-P

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,602
    edited December 1969

...looks sort of "Windows 8-Metroish" to me (and I'm viewing it on XP).

Has this been done for the benefit of smartphones and tablets (neither of which I have)? if so, why couldn't they just develop a Daz App for them and leave things the way they were for the rest of us?

I agree the store wasn't broken (well, it functioned pretty well most of the time unless all the servers went down), the "fix" is.

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

Please bring back the drop down menus. Simple truth of the matter: if you make it too difficult to navigate the site, people won't bother to use it.

I agree with KK. DAZ has just gotten to the point where most of the issues have been fixed. I say most because we still have the problem of sales and pricing.

The rest of the store wasn't exactly broke. Granted, I used to get some weird things from the search but they were always entertaining. Now the search is just plain useless. Twice I put in specific products (exact name of product and correct spelling) and received blank pages.

• Velvet GoblinVelvet Goblin Posts: 532
    edited November 2014

I think that...

1. being able to filter out items that I own
    2.having the product pages tell me when I own a required product
    3. being notified when I add a product to the cart that I do not own a required product (and being given a link for that required product AND the ability to add them directly to my cart without leaving the cart page)
    4. being notified when I add a product to the cart of add-ons to that product that I don't own (and given a link to them AND the ability to add them directly to my cart without leaving the cart page)

...makes the changes to the layout worthwhile.

I liked the old site. But I'll get used to the new one. The changes I listed above are excellent.

Post edited by Velvet Goblin on
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

I rather like the new site. The larger thumbnails are awesome, and the site works great on my smartphone, which will mean I'll probably waste less time at work because the site functions properly when I sneak onto it. Navigation is kind of a pain at the moment on my desktop computer, but that's primarily because everything is in different places. But so far, the good definitely outweighs the bad. Such as the "hide what I own" option. That's excellent! So is the info about required products. It'll take a bit of time to get used to, but I'm quite happy for now. Can't get over logging in on my phone and actually seeing things clearly, and being able to navigate without issues. Yay!

• Steven-VSteven-V Posts: 727
    edited December 1969

It's going to take some getting used to.

Some things seem more intuitive, some less.

I do like the way the wish list works a little better now. HOWEVER... the #1 thing I need in the wish list is still not there, and that is the ability to make up my own personal categories. Often I have several scenes in mind and I add things to the wish list for all those scenes. Then when it is time to buy, it is a pain in the neck trying to figure out which item I picked for which scene. Yes, I can keep an offline database, or write extensive comments, but neither of these are user-friendly options. Amazon lets you make multiple categories and put items into different categories and this is a HUGE help... I would love to have a feature like this here.

I definitely did like when it warned me that I needed another product with something (I already knew it, but I appreciated the warning).

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Didn't know they redesigned the main (desktop/laptop) site. I'll reserve judgement on that. Hopefully, DAZ learned a lesson on how another popular 3D site (rhymes with "atrocity", hint hint) really screwed themselves with a horrible redesign.v

But the new mobile site rocks. I'm accessing it now from my iPad, and it's surprisingly smooth and well thought out.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited November 2014

Was the site redesign done for mobile devices?

If yes, why? Who renders on mobile devices? Don't we all use desktops for 3D-art?

Post edited by robkelk on
    edited December 1969

wiz said:
    Didn't know they redesigned the main (desktop/laptop) site. I'll reserve judgement on that. Hopefully, DAZ learned a lesson on how another popular 3D site (rhymes with "atrocity", hint hint) really screwed themselves with a horrible redesign

Actually, the redesigned site reminds me of that other one you hinted at quite a lot.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I'm not a fan so far. Don't like the load times on images, seems to take a while when I peruse things, and things seem bigger but not with more actual content. Won't go so far as to say I hate it, but doesn't seem an improvement- yet.

edited December 1969

I do agree in terms of the "bigger size" thing -- I used to be able to see everything for a product in one screen. Now I have to do a lot of scrolling... which is kind of annoying.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Rob, shopping from mobile devices.

Am I the only one that hated the drop downs they had before?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,280
    edited December 1969

Not good

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited November 2014

The word "SHOP" is in a very thin script, it overlaps the "DAZ 3D" logo, and is difficult to see.

This reminds me of the HiveWire site -- and I'm NOT a fan of the HiveWire site.

Post edited by Morpheon on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

The word "SHOP" is in a very thin script, it overlaps the "DAZ 3D" logo, and is difficult to see.

What browser are you using?

I am using Firefox 33.0 on Xubuntu 14.04 and i am not having that issue. Or any so far

edited November 2014

...when will developers learn that when it comes to these new mobile devices and "real" computers one size does not fit all, in either direction? You have to optimise the format for the different environments, just like optimising, skins for each different UV set.

In Redmond, WA, they already made that mistake.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited November 2014

Mattymanx said:

What browser are you using?

I am using Firefox 33.0 on Xubuntu 14.04 and i am not having that issue. Or any so far

FireFox on Win7 Pro on a 16:9 17" display.

Untitled.png
    597 x 275 - 61K
    Post edited by Morpheon on
  • ShibaShakeShibaShake Posts: 286
    edited November 2014

I would definitely like the dropdown menus back as well. I use them a lot for navigation.

Also, there are problems with the gallery. Tags are missing, and the button for voting is missing. The comment box is really small and the submit comment button is covered up by the picture navigation menu below.

Post edited by ShibaShake on
  • CbirdCbird Posts: 493
    edited December 1969

A warning when you put something you already own in the cart would be really nice to have.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Cbird said:
    A warning when you put something you already own in the cart would be really nice to have.

In the category list pages, the green cart icon changes to an uncoloured "cloud with an arrow" icon, and in the individual product pages, the big green "Add To Cart" button changes to a big red "Purchased" button. Are you not seeing that?

The store can't actually prevent buying things again, there are things people will need to re-buy, e.g. PC memberships or Gift Cards; all it can do is jump up and down and wave big flags.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Mattymanx said:
    Rob, shopping from mobile devices.

Am I the only one that hated the drop downs they had before?

Nope; they were completely annoying to me. Doubly so because 50% of the time I spent shopping on this site was on an iPad, and the link did double duty. If you actually 'clicked' it (which is what a touch event was treated as) it browsed to 'New Items'. But a touch was ALSO treated as a hover by the store code, so the first thing it did was put up a big dialog with the drop-down in it, but you couldn't select anything because SURPRISE! it was already going to New Releases.

Add in that the old layout had really, really bad problems viewing the promo images on a touch-based device (zoom SUCKED, mainly), and I'm 110% behind the new design.

And for folks complaining that it's 'optimized' for mobile/touch devices...it's actually got what's called 'responsive' design. It's set up to work very well for both desktop and mobile devices. There was a good bit of conversation about exactly this in the beta thread, and they did tune it to be even more friendly to desktop devices at various resolutions.

All I can suggest is to try to separate what you're used to, and have muscle memory for, from what's actually good. Give it a try, and keep an open mind.

-- Morgan

edited November 2014

...well, to me at least, it sure looks a lot more "at home" for a smartphone or tablet than it does for a conventional system's display.

Way too cluttered and garish (sort of like a certain OS that was recently released) and those sideways scrolling displays that appear after you perform a category search are a real bother to deal with compared to a single static page. Maybe what they need is a "patch" to allow one to change the viewing preference to a more "classic" style page display for those of us who still use "old fashioned" data processing devices.

They listened to us with Daz 4.x and gave us the Darkside UI as a standard preference setting.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Kyoto Kid said:
    Way too cluttered and garish (sort of like a certain OS that was recently released)Just to note, said OS was _following_ trends, not setting them. And the trends exist for pretty good reasons... I wouldn't call the site garish. It's much more focused on the content than the previous site was, which is a good thing.

and those sideways scrolling displays that appear after you perform a category search are a real bother to deal with compared to a single static page.

From the beta thread I vaguely recall there being some discussion of improving the search results in a future iteration. I think (without any actual knowledge) that the overhead of maintaining two systems (the beta and the live) got to be too much, and the beta system was at a 'good enough' state. Essentially having to keep the two in synch was eating up time that could have better been spent improving some of the stuff that they know is an issue.

Definitely don't take this as the final iteration, but the 'final' version will look MUCH more like this than like the old store. I'm fairly sure search is one area that will iterate a bunch, for instance. You can't claim that the old site's search was a paragon of perfection, so trying new things isn't a terrible idea..

:)

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

...well, based on many of the comments I have been reading, it seems there's more than a bit of a way to go to get to that "finished state". Again, I feel they "jumped the gun a bit just like back in 2012.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I was thinking the same thing... DAZ looks like HiveWire now where my credit card info got stolen... to be honest I don't trust these kind of changes to keep my new credit card info safe. I am logged in here on the forum but not in the store is asking me to log in again (again like Hivewire).... uh ooooh. I hope Dim still is the same so I can install all my content.

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,139
    edited December 1969

MrPoser said:

I was thinking the same thing... DAZ looks like HiveWire now where my credit card info got stolen... to be honest I don't trust these kind of changes to keep my new credit card info safe. I am logged in here on the forum but not in the store is asking me to log in again (again like Hivewire).... uh ooooh. I hope Dim still is the same so I can install all my content.

I'm not web, but I figured I would just chime in and say that these changes to DAZ are mainly cosmetic. Nothing 'under the hood' is drastically different - so the store software is still the same, and security is still as tight as ever.

edited December 1969

Greetings,

MrPoser said:
    I am logged in here on the forum but not in the store is asking me to log in again (again like Hivewire)....
    This has been a long-standing issue with the single-sign-on used between the DAZ Store and the Forum. It's not new with this change.

That said, they are looking to roll out a forum change later which may address that issue as well. My understanding is that the current sign-on relationship is limited by the forum software, which evidently is...not as good as they were hoping it would be. But again, that's an old issue.

-- Morgan

This discussion has been closed.