Holy Cuda Cores, Renderman! My GPU has tripled in price!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

magog_a4eb71ab said:

Torquinox said:

Skill means nothing when your hardware dies and you can't get anything new 'cause there's nothing to buy. Spending $4k+ for a $1500 card or $1500 for a $300 card is beyond the pale. It's stupid, and what is directly to blame? Did you say crypto and NFTs? And what is Daz now peddling? Did you say NFTs? Well then. My observation, we have a righteous rage brewing in this community, and it's only so long before people find other ways to occupy their time, other places to spend their money. It may not cme to that, but some of us want some speedy new hardware.

Sure its stupid, but it is what it is. No amount of kicking & screaming is going to change it. I don't like it or butcoin mining anymore than you do. The shortages are going to continue probably well into mid-2022 and I've already been kicking the can down the road long enough when it comes to replacing my laptop, so if anything its probably even more stupid to defiantly sit around waiting for a miracle surplus to appear out of thin air when the prices are going to climb even higher. I probably could have even went with a lesser card for half the price, but my system specs & the environment its going to be in require a decent cooling solution for the card when rendering, which meant going with the Kingpin RTX 3090. Being that I could not get two of them, the only available alternative was a high end Quadro RTX A6000 which runs at lower wattages and doesn't throw off as much heat inside the case. I'll be able to game and have a render going at the same time with no issues OR I'll be able to do it quicker using both cards.

So if I can swing it now, that's what I'm going to do. Stupid? Yeah, because I waited so long up to this point so I have to pay more. It would be even more stupid to wait longer; especially since I do need a new system and don't want to buy pre-builts or cookie-cutter systems that have limited options.

I should also point out that Dell and Digital Storm still have RTX cards(all the way up to/including 3090s) available for their systems, so unless you're like me and are very picky or don't need a new desktop, you can get them without being scalped. The only catch is, you need to purchase the whole system, so it might work for some while others not so much.

...OK, so now the two different cards sort of make sense.  So I take it for rendering in Daz, the A6000 is the only card selected for that purpose in the advanced render settings, while the 3090 is more dedicated to gaming.  Still wondering how the CPU can handle both processes at the same time without bogging down. Crikey, If i had the resoruces for that system with just the A6000, I'd be in render heaven.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

The thing is (and you even say it) you don't "need" the $1500 card to use DS. Whether it's at MSRP or some ridiculous markup.

It's one thing to say "I want super fast renders so I want a high end gpu and it sucks that you can't get one right now" it's a very different claim that "no one is going to use DS because no one can get a machine that has the specs to run it" and as your proof use that high end gpu.

You don't *need* a custom built computer with the latest and greatest gpu to use DS. I've never used DS on anything other than midrange laptops. Personally I can't imagine spending 1500 on a gpu ever. I have never spent that much on an entire computer.

I'm not saying the state of the gpu market is not awful and that it's illegitimate to be upset about it. Just that tying this to a complete inability to use DS at all is a massive overstatement

While there are some truths to the idea that people do not need the latest and greatest, this post suggests that our time has no value. That is the key resource at stake here for most people, time. It is not about the money, it is about time. Rendering can take a lot of time. If you have crappy hardware, it will take a very long time. Now I don't know about others, but my time is valuable to me. I do not have the luxury of sitting in front of my computer all day. I have a job, family, stuff like that going on in my life. The amount of time I get to spend with Daz is limited, and when I do get that time I want to get results. If I had just a CPU or some junk GPU I would not be able to do this...period. The option simply would not exist for me.

That is the question here. How much is your time worth to you? If you are ok with waiting long periods of time for the most basic of renders, then that's swell. But if you are not, then why is that an issue? We have people who spend thousands of dollars on 3D content. I believe it is only logical that people who spend that much money on content would also in turn desire to have a capable machine to render that content.

But rendering is only part of the battle. I recently built a new PC myself. At least mostly new. New Ryzen 5800X, with a motherboard, memory, and M.2 SSD, all new (and all during the pandemic). I kept my 1080tis and power supply. So for rendering, I am not getting any speed boost at all, because my GPUs are still the same (and no I am not adding the CPU to render). However, everything else is better. Daz runs smoother, Genesis loads faster. Literally every task is faster. Baking textures went very fast. Unzipping and zipping compressed files has been awesome (yeah, I can't believe I wrote awesome, but it is a huge difference). Blender runs better. GIMP runs better. Files save faster. It is all better. And with 64GB of RAM I can build larger scenes even though my 1080ti is still the same (I used to have 32 and I could fill that up). As I wrote earlier, I have scenes hitting 50GB of RAM during a render. I could not have done that before. Before I would have to make a sacrifice in order to stay under my 32GB RAM limit.

And since I can and do fill up my 11GB on my 1080tis easily, I can absolutely see how I would benefit from something like the 3090. I could build larger scenes and render faster. Both of those things matter to me. Now perhaps they do not matter to others, and hey, that is fine if they feel that way. But for me these things do.

Torquinox said:

Sure. It's okay to limp along with substandard hardware, even though we all know the latest products are more resource intensive than ever. Maybe some of us are tired of limping along.

...I'm one of those who has been doing so, my system is around 9 years old now, it's still DDR3 with PCIe 2.0 expansion slots,  I've about hit the upper limit of how far I upgrade it, save for adding an SSD to transfer my Daz content library to.  It has a 6 core Xeon 5660, 24 GB of 1333 DDR3, a Maxwell Titan-X GPU, and a new 850w PSU. The BIOS does not support an NvME PCI SSD and not sure if a  PCIe 4.0 GPU card would even work in a 2.0 x 16 slot (still researching that).  I stopped updating Daz at ver. 4.12.0.47 as it has been incredibly stable while newer releases were buggy (so no G8.1 with the special PBR skins), and as I understand, 4.15 automatically uses OptiX acceleration on older GPUs which takes more VRAM and memory, so no AI-denoising.

As long as Nvidia doesn't abandon Iray support for Maxwell generation GPUs I'll be OK. Then again that would only occur within a new update of the Daz software so I should be OK.

In spite of that, compared to the 32 bit notebook I used for nearly five years, it is a major improvement and for now I, am content even though heavy scenes still take a bit of time to render (though no where near as bad as in CPU mode). 

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,637

Kyoto Kid, if you're happy with it and it's doing what you need, that's the important thing!

...thanks.   

Still need to get that SSD for the Content Library though to speed up accessing and loading content. Need to figure out though how to move the scene library as that sees more write operations (as I do intermittent saves) which is not good for SSDs.  That particular directory is under the main Daz3D folder. Not sure if moving it might not break something.

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 641

kyoto kid said:

Need to figure out though how to move the scene library as that sees more write operations (as I do intermittent saves) which is not good for SSDs.  That particular directory is under the main Daz3D folder. Not sure if moving it might not break something.

I've always saved my Scenes to a different drive in my own folders completely separate from Daz Studio. Have also moved some of them around while doing housekeeping and nothing has broken. But I almost always open a scene by double-clicking it's Duf file in a folder, not through the Studio interface. If your workflow is different you may want to test this. I also do temporary saves frequently.

Hope this helps!

Your scene saves can be anywhere, on any drive. Moving them should not effect anything. What you can do is first copy your saves to the new location you want them in. Then you can verify they work. Once that is done you can delete the old save folder.

The saves don't store any particular data. Like the DUF for characters and items, these can be moved freely around your drive as you wish. The only things that need to be in a certain place are the runtime and data folders.
    edited April 2021

ColinFrench said:

kyoto kid said:

Need to figure out though how to move the scene library as that sees more write operations (as I do intermittent saves) which is not good for SSDs.  That particular directory is under the main Daz3D folder. Not sure if moving it might not break something.

I've always saved my Scenes to a different drive in my own folders completely separate from Daz Studio. Have also moved some of them around while doing housekeeping and nothing has broken. But I almost always open a scene by double-clicking it's Duf file in a folder, not through the Studio interface. If your workflow is different you may want to test this. I also do temporary saves frequently.

Hope this helps!

..thanks. it does. 

Going to keep the scene folder on the original HDD (which will become Drive "E").  The SSD will get the "D" designation so I don't suddenly end up with a lot of broken path errors and "grey boxes" when loading scenes. 

outrider42 said:

Your scene saves can be anywhere, on any drive. Moving them should not effect anything. What you can do is first copy your saves to the new location you want them in. Then you can verify they work. Once that is done you can delete the old save folder.

The saves don't store any particular data. Like the DUF for characters and items, these can be moved freely around your drive as you wish. The only things that need to be in a certain place are the runtime and data folders.

..so the Data folders need to remain on "D" with the main consent/runtime library.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

ColinFrench said:

kyoto kid said:

Hope this helps!

..thanks. it does. 

Going to keep the scene folder on the original HDD (which will become Drive "E").  The SSD will get the "D" designation so I don't suddenly end up with a lot of broken path errors and "grey boxes" when loading scenes. 

outrider42 said:

..so the Data folders need to remain on "D" with the main consent/runtime library.

The data folder needs to be in a content directory. Files save only the relative path within the content directory, they don't store and don't care about the location of the content directory itself.

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277

Okay, you can call me a sucker.

I bought a 3060 at scalper prices

However I did not give one penny to a scalper and I got a free PClaugh

IMG_20210426_171248.jpg
    3648 x 2736 - 3M
    IMG_20210426_164848.jpg
    3648 x 2736 - 2M
  • GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

Is this free PC good for multitasking?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Hmmm, I'm looking at the Quadro RTX A4000.... (Single slot, 140W, RTX 3070 performance and... 16GB of Vram!)  Sure there is no NVLink but the card is only supposed to go for about $1000

I'm thinking my Precision 7610 will go from having 1x GTX 1080 ti and 1x GTX 1080 to....
    1x GTX 1080 ti, and 2x RTX A4000. (if I can find somewhere that has them)

Galaxy said:

Absolutely.

I can use it as a footstool, a coffee table, a door stop, ambiant lighting from the rgb all at the same time.

Joking aside its a bog standard desktop useful for anyone who doesn't require anything super powerful.

Ryzen 3400g

B450m mb

8gb ram

240gb nvme

550w psu.

And the all important rgb case. 

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2021

JamesJAB said:

Hmmm, I'm looking at the Quadro RTX A4000.... (Single slot, 140W, RTX 3070 performance and... 16GB of Vram!)  Sure there is no NVLink but the card is only supposed to go for about $1000

I'm thinking my Precision 7610 will go from having 1x GTX 1080 ti and 1x GTX 1080 to....
    1x GTX 1080 ti, and 2x RTX A4000. (if I can find somewhere that has them)

Thinking the same more so when I saw the current price for a RTX 3080 at $3099 AUD, I nearly fell out of my chair..  The funny thing I just looked at the 3090, and you can get it for not much more and it comes with double the vram.. lol  Although all of this is moot since there is zero stock around anyway..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on

droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

Absolutely.

I can use it as a footstool, a coffee table, a door stop, ambiant lighting from the rgb all at the same time.

Joking aside its a bog standard desktop useful for anyone who doesn't require anything super powerful.

Ryzen 3400g

B450m mb

8gb ram

240gb nvme

550w psu.

yes 

My hope and confidence are rebuilding after I saw this post. Now in future no need to purchase a PC just need to purchase a GPU! Bright and colorful RGB is a plus and really important. smiley

edited April 2021

Galaxy said:

droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

Absolutely.

Ryzen 3400g

B450m mb

8gb ram

240gb nvme

550w psu.

yes 

My hope and confidence are rebuilding after I saw this post. Now in future no need to purchase a PC just need to purchase a GPU! Bright and colorful RGB is a plus and really important. smiley

When you work it out it's not too bad.

I got that system plus a 3060 for the price of a scalped 3060.

I paid £830, the system without the 3060 is around £550, so the gpu works out at msrp

It's not a cheap ebay special that uses generic parts, it's quality well known brands. What I'm going to do with it now I've removed the gpu is another matter wink

Edit:

My working out is £380 for the gpu and £450 for the rest as there is no way it's worth £550.

Post edited by droidy001 on

Actually it is not bad at all except those 4GB sticks.

Galaxy said:

I think 8gb is enough for what it's going to end up being used for. And there are another 2 slots still free for an upgrade.

I'm moving into a new place in a few weeks and will have a spare room, so one of my thoughts was to have a dedicated study/man cave and put the spare system in my lounge as a media machine.

droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

I think 8gb is enough for what it's going to end up being used for. And there are another 2 slots still free for an upgrade.

I'm moving into a new place in a few weeks and will have a spare room, so one of my thoughts was to have a dedicated study/man cave and put the spare system in my lounge as a media machine.

Then it is all good. I thought you will try to run Daz Studio or game.

Galaxy said:

droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

Then it is all good. I thought you will try to run Daz Studio or game.

Maybe I should try it and see how bad it is.

No my intention all along was to find the cheapest custom build that would allow me to have a 3060. The gpu was removed straight away and put in my main pc.

It also had to have onboard graphics so it wouldn't be totally useless once the gpu was removed.

I've got a few notifications for 3090s in stock but was unable to get them ordered in time. I hit them the instant I got the notice, with Amazon 1-click enabled, too. Still not fast enough. Wow.

But I am of the mindset of a 3090 or bust. I have two 1080tis, so a 3060 is not that much of an upgrade, adding just a little more VRAM. The 3070 and 3080 will not do because I am certainly not reducing my VRAM. I am not really interested in a $1000 A4000 since it is only a 3070 in performance. Actually, it will be less than a 3070 in performance because of lower clocks and power targets. The A5000 is $2300+, the one I saw was listed at $2600. For a card that is over 20% slower than the 3090???

Sure, like I said Quadros have their perks, but these don't really help us with Iray. You are just paying extra for a slower card with more VRAM. I don't see the point. The 3090 is the fastest card, has as much VRAM as any Quadro except the crazy A6000, and costs less when it is properly in stock. It should be a no brainer for most...if only it was in stock. And you can find smaller 3090s. They were making 3090s with blower coolers, though they quietly discontinued them a short time ago. But if you are only installing one, I don't see a problem with most modern cases.

I do believe things will get slightly better. But I stress **slightly** better. I have been getting more 3090 notices, so they seem to be stocking more frequently. There has also been a lot of talk about incoming regulations on crypto, which might finally slow it down and bring their values back down to Earth. They have also been predicting a crypto crash, but I personally don't think this will happen unless something drastic takes place like some countries outright ban it. As it stands this is our new normal.

Oh, a 3400G can do 720p with most settings on low for many modern games. Competitive arena shooters might get over 60 fps (again this at 720p. Fortnite can hit over 100. While games like RDR2 get like 30-45 fps. Don't even think about playing Cyberpunk 2077 on it though, LOL. I think I saw it was like 10 fps. However if you want to catch up on older games it might play them fine, like 360/PS3 era, and it can play them at 1080p.

edited April 2021

...hmm the difference of actually being able to get an A4000 (1,000$) or A5000 (2,250$) compared to either playing  "whack a mole" against bots for decent price on a 3090 or shelling out 3,000$ - 4,000$ to a scalper tends to make the two A series cards look much more desirable.  The other payoff is not needing a monster PSU to support either one.

Also are they really that much slower than a consumer market card for rendering, consdering they are designed to be more efficient for workstations.  If that was the case individual pros and graphics studios would choose the normally "lower cost" consumer RTX cards over the Quadro/A Series.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

And to think I gave away my 6GB 1060 a year ago or so.

outrider42 said

Oh, a 3400G can do 720p with most settings on low for many modern games. Competitive arena shooters might get over 60 fps (again this at 720p. Fortnite can hit over 100. While games like RDR2 get like 30-45 fps. Don't even think about playing Cyberpunk 2077 on it though, LOL. I think I saw it was like 10 fps. However if you want to catch up on older games it might play them fine, like 360/PS3 era, and it can play them at 1080p.

It is what it is and it's going to be useful for something. I'll either find a role for it or flip it.

All depends on how well my other bits sell as to whether I keep it or not. 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Could use it for a nice little home server.Firewall, DNS, file/print, media, or what ever you wanted.

Connect it to a doorbell camera and make a few of those grainy ghosty/monster caught on camera youtube videos.

kyoto kid said:

...hmm the difference of actually being able to get an A4000 (1,000$) or A5000 (2,250$) compared to either playing  "whack a mole" against bots for decent price on a 3090 or shelling out 3,000$ - 4,000$ to a scalper tends to make the two A series cards look much more desirable.  The other payoff is not needing a monster PSU to support either one.

Also are they really that much slower than a consumer market card for rendering, consdering they are designed to be more efficient for workstations.  If that was the case individual pros and graphics studios would choose the normally "lower cost" consumer RTX cards over the Quadro/A Series.

I will admit the A4000 probably is the only one that makes sense here, because it is less than the price of a MSRP 3090, and by a large margain. However, I have a very strong suspicion that the A4000 is also going to suffer from grossly inflated prices. If the 3070 is going for well over $1000, why wouldn't the people going for 3070s also go for the A4000? Quadro class cards can still game...and mine. That is the big thing here, they can still mine and make money at their prices. The only reason the other Quadros are not insanely priced on the street is because they are already insanely over priced to begin with, LOL. The A5000 costs more than a 3090 by default, and the A6000 costs way more.

Plus a number of gamers are not impressed with the 3070 only having 8GB. The amount of VRAM in it and the 3080 have been hotly debated now that AMD has multiple 16GB cards out. But AMD is even harder to get because they apparently didn't make hardly any. Then the rumored 16GB 3070 fell through. So there may be a number of gamers who will legit buy the A4000 because it is a 16GB 3070. And then you add the miners to the list. Poof, they'll be gone. And the prices will soar.

droidy001 said:

outrider42 said

It is what it is and it's going to be useful for something. I'll either find a role for it or flip it.

All depends on how well my other bits sell as to whether I keep it or not. 

It is a decent chip for what it is. It can be a great streaming PC. And since you have them, you could possibly stream Daz itself to this little PC, giving you extra options on where you do your work. Streaming on a home network is easy, and if your routers are reasonably modern it will be very smooth. So you could set this PC up in a place to do a little extra work while still being able to kick back. You could also stream anything off your other PC, including games. To stream games you do need really good routing equipment, but it is possible. For other apps it is not as important.

So you have all kinds of options. If you ever got another GPU, just a simple one, it would be a fantastic gaming box as well.

edited April 2021

outrider42 said:

kyoto kid said:

I will admit the A4000 probably is the only one that makes sense here, because it is less than the price of a MSRP 3090, and by a large margain. However, I have a very strong suspicion that the A4000 is also going to suffer from grossly inflated prices. If the 3070 is going for well over $1000, why wouldn't the people going for 3070s also go for the A4000? Quadro class cards can still game...and mine. That is the big thing here, they can still mine and make money at their prices. The only reason the other Quadros are not insanely priced on the street is because they are already insanely over priced to begin with, LOL. The A5000 costs more than a 3090 by default, and the A6000 costs way more.

Plus a number of gamers are not impressed with the 3070 only having 8GB. The amount of VRAM in it and the 3080 have been hotly debated now that AMD has multiple 16GB cards out. But AMD is even harder to get because they apparently didn't make hardly any. Then the rumored 16GB 3070 fell through. So there may be a number of gamers who will legit buy the A4000 because it is a 16GB 3070. And then you add the miners to the list. Poof, they'll be gone. And the prices will soar.

...for now however, the A5000 is going for less than a 3090 from a scalper or buying a "throw away" prebuild just to get one.  I don't see how that is getting ahead of the situation. 

Hoping to beat out the bots and snag one at MSRP seems like trying to be the next caller for a radio station contest using an old dial phone when everyone else has Touch Tone™ ones.that can also store numbers.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,315

I don't know if any of you have heard about this. Seeing as you are all searching and looking for the best price, this just might make the search a little easier, maybe give you places you haven't thought of.

It's called Honey, it's an app that searches for both coupons and deals, finding you the lowest price available, does all the searching for you. My daughter and son use it and love it.
    https://www.joinhoney.com

edited April 2021

...hmm, after clicking "add to Chrome", a message pops up mentioning that it can "change all the data" on sites I visit.  Not sure I like the sound fo that.