Holy Cuda Cores, Renderman! My GPU has tripled in price!

Comments

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,316

Definitely get your names on the lists at stores then cause if this is true, there's going to be a rush of people trying to get the cards.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

If I heard it correctly, they had a lock on the latest 3060 to prevent crypto mining, saying it was hardware locked. But then they released an early driver that unlocked the crypto component lock, so people could pretty much start mining as soon as it was released.

Hopefully the next try will be a little bit better executed :/

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739

Paintbox said:

If I heard it correctly, they had a lock on the latest 3060 to prevent crypto mining, saying it was hardware locked. But then they released an early driver that unlocked the crypto component lock, so people could pretty much start mining as soon as it was released.

Hopefully the next try will be a little bit better executed :/

Next version should be out in the middle of May:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-anti-mining-ampere-gpus-allegedly-en-route

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

Since chips are now hard to come by this new pc i bought under a year ago is woirth more now then when i bought it, first time i have ever owned a PC that gained value, i spent well bought an i9 10th gen Xcore with 256gb ddr4 ram on motherboard with a 2080ti nvidia 12GBVram card which was worth $2450, hell the ram i purchased was worth cost me $2400 at the time is now worth more. Love it! money well spent, because of the chip shortage i bought at the right time last year before this happened i figured there would be dramas with the Chinise so i built a super rig knowing if things keep going the way they are parts will be come hard to source and builds will take ages to complete, as it was it took me 3 weeks to get parts back then for this PC build i would hate to see the cost and wait time now on the same parts.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

outrider42 said:

Gogger said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I just saw an article saying that Nvidia is taking active steps to reduce the ?hashtag? efficiency of the 30 series gpu's to make them less desireable for crypto-mining so that hobbyists and gamers can get a crack at these cards too.  It sounded legit, but I don't know all the specs and details.  I saw the article on techradar-dot-com.  If true, Nvidia deserves at least a little nod of respect for even considering 'the rest of us'.  Maybe those of you who have given up hope will actually get a chance after all.

The last time they did this the limit only applied to Etherium. Other types of crypto were uneffected. While Ether is very popular, it would be very easy to simply mine other currencies instead. In fact programs that help people mine are designed to automatically mine the crypto that is most profitable at the time. So this might slow miners down a little, bit only a little. I would hope the new mining limiters are designed for all types of mining, I haven't seen a clear confirmation on this yet.

Besides, the last time Nvidia did this, they somehow accidently released a driver that removed the 3060 limiter. I feel extremely certain this was no accident, rather it was an employee initionally leaking it. These mining companies have insane amounts of money, and I believe the bribed somebody to do this. I am not saying this did happen, just that I believe it happened. It is way too cooincedental to be an accident. Hopefully Nvidia has better protection this time, or they will get severally roasted if the limiter is broken like this again.

Anyway, back on topic, I am afraid there is no easy answer to the question of what GPU to buy. If we were in a normal time, I could happily recommend the 3060. With 12GB of VRAM it offers RTX cores at just $350. But right now is not a normal time. I am afraid you are trying to buy a GPU at the absolute worst time in history to buy a GPU. That is not a joke. I really wish I could give some advise, but the only way to get a GPU, ANY GPU, these days is to get extremely lucky. You really have to be in the right place at the right time. Hell, you could be in the right place and time and STILL not get a GPU. That is just how bad the situation is.

If you can get a 3060 at non scalper prices, then jump on it without hesitation. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you to do. If you are desperate for a GPU and can find a 2000 series card at a reasonable price, that might be your best bet. It is very tough to say how much VRAM you will need, because everybody has different needs and desires. Seriously some of the people on tech sites are saying the best GPU for you is the one you can find in stock!

Though you do need a Nvidia GPU, don't forget that. It cannot be too old. Anything older than the 900 series is no longer supported. VRAM is a tough one. Older GPUs also have less and less VRAM. 4GB probably would not work today. Even 6 is a stretch. 8 gets more comfortable, but can still limit you depending on what you do. If you do just one character in a scene, the 8 should work most of the time. That would open the door to cards like the 1070, 1080, and the 2060 Super. The 2060 Super was a decent card, because it offered 8GB and RTX cores at the lowest price. The 2060 Super is faster than nearly all the 1000 series cards, that is how much the RTX helps render speed. But can you find any of these cards at all? I don't know.

You can always check the Iray benchmark thread for some data that compares one card to another. It is not absolute, and data in older versions of Daz may not apply to the latest version. But you can see general trends and get an idea of what to expect. This thread is one of the best resources on the whole net for Iray benchmarking. So if you have not looked at it, you should. It will answer many of your questions. If you see a GPU and wonder if it is any good, just look for it on the table, and consider its VRAM. The benchmark does not factor VRAM. Obviously if you run out of VRAM, you are stuck in CPU and the GPU does nothing at all. So sometimes you have to balance speed and VRAM in your decision.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1

...don't forget the Maxwell Titan-X.   True, pre Pascal  but 12 GB of VRAM and 3072 cores is still nothing to sneeze at.   Only Fermi and Kepler are no longer supported.  

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    We could do with a classified section for those who have been fortunate enough to get a new card, and want to help out other "forumites" by offering their old cards at a fair price.
  • GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

droidy001 said:

We could do with a classified section for those who have been fortunate enough to get a new card, and want to help out other "forumites" by offering their old cards at a fair price.

If the production is finite, nothing can help. If Nvidia is trying to block mining* instead of increase production then it is disclosed that production is finite. However there is a hope only few lucky people will get help.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,537

Galaxy said:

droidy001 said:

If the production is finite, nothing can help. If Nvidia is trying to block mining* instead of increase production then it is disclosed that production is finite. However there is a hope only few lucky people will get help.

For the past two weeks there has been 12GB 3060's available here in Finland, not just online but also at the 'real' stores, even from the 'better' manufacturers, so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel... 

• Joe2018Joe2018 Posts: 238

Here (Germany) are some 3060 12GB and 3070 available but at high prices: Asus Geforce RTX 3060 - 772 Euro (include 19% Sales Tax and Shipping within Germany - so that maybe around 770 USD without Tax), the 3070 8 GB is 1.099 Euro (with Tax etc.).

The Computer i got two Weeks ago is a Lenovo Legion 5i (Intel Core i5-10400F, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB M.2 SSD, Geforce RTX 3070) for 1.399 Euro (with Tax etc.).

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited April 2021

Faeryl Womyn said:

For Best Buy, can you get your name on a list of those wanting the GPU. I know some stores do that here in Canada. Then when it comes in they call you and you go buy it. I assume it can only be done if you actually go to the store and make this request. Not sure if you can do it by phone.

Nvidia Founders Edition of the 3090 is only available at Best Buy online when they briefly have it in stock.

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277

Galaxy said:

droidy001 said:

There are cards coming through slowly, and people here are getting some.

As we have all seen the the demand has pushed up price of not just new cards but also used. It is amazing that an older cards are selling for more than the msrp of new and better cards. We have a situation where a 2 year old used card is selling for more than it cost new.

We have people here who are doing renders on cpu's because of the limitations of old hardware. They may not be able to or are not willing to pay the current silly prices for used cards. In a world where there wasn't a chip shortage and pandemic the new cards would have been released, there may have been a few weeks where you couldn't find the model you wanted but it would soon sort itself out. There would have been a lot of used cards on the market for a fair price.

I am not in a position where I can buy a new card and also hang on to my old one. I have a price in mind that I would like to pay for an upgrade, this tells me how much I would like to get for my old card. I can tell you that this amount is much lower than it would sell for on ebay atm. If I offer my card for the price I would like to receive then chances are it would end up with someone who would flip it for a profit, I'd rather it go to someone who can use it.

Selling through the forum isn't a guarantee it wouldn't end up with someone looking to make a profit, but it has a better chance of finding a genuine end user.

I'll never be rich wink

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

I will not recommend used cards due to current mining market, though if the source/seller is reliable then it may be worth to get one. There is a rumor, those used for mining cards are tend to lose efficiency upto 90% and few days later upto100%.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited April 2021

PerttiA said:

Galaxy said:

droidy001 said:

For the past two weeks there has been 12GB 3060's available here in Finland, not just online but also at the 'real' stores, even from the 'better' manufacturers, so maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel... 

Perhaps in Finland.  But here in the US, I'm afraid the light is a train.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited April 2021

Kevin Sanderson said:

Faeryl Womyn said:

For Best Buy, can you get your name on a list of those wanting the GPU. I know some stores do that here in Canada. Then when it comes in they call you and you go buy it. I assume it can only be done if you actually go to the store and make this request. Not sure if you can do it by phone.

Nvidia Founders Edition of the 3090 is only available at Best Buy online when they briefly have it in stock.

...yeah, but that's like playing "whack-a-mole". 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

...thanks.   

Still need to get that SSD for the Content Library though to speed up accessing and loading content. Need to figure out though how to move the scene library as that sees more write operations (as I do intermittent saves) which is not good for SSDs.  That particular directory is under the main Daz3D folder. Not sure if moving it might not break something.

Your data writes will NOT kill a modern SSD.  Just won't.  Countless times, I've referred people to the studies done on SSD write endurance, and it's simply NOT an issue to fear.  Or to waste your valuable time and life-essence implementing time-consuming tweaks.  Most of the time, you'll need to replace the SSD just because you put too much junk on it and you used up all your free space.  And that'll happen long before you wear out the write capacity of the cells through daily usage.

Please Google the TechReport test from several years ago and you'll see what I mean.  The SHEER NUMBER OF WRITES NEEDED to kill an SSD are far, far more than you're going to be doing in your scene library, even if you worked in DS every day of every week in the year.  Tech Report had to use AUTOMATION to keep doing writes 24X7X365 to their test SSDs, and they had to run that automation for like a year before the first drive died.

For that matter, not even SWAP files will kill an SSD, and swap files have a frillion write operations during use.

This may sound unkind and harsh, but I'll say that your SSD will likely outlive you no matter how much you use it.  As people knowledgable about systems and components, it's our responsibility to "get it right" and to avoid spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) on SSDs and write operations.  Besides, they don't really make a lot of computers (laptops anyhow) with old-school hard drives in them.  There are no spinning drives available to fit the M.2 slot that's quickly becoming the standard.

Here, for your convenience, here's the Tech Report article from 2015.  It's been 6 years since we've known that day-to-day usage doesn't kill SSDs.  Please read this and reconsider your fear.

And this for anybody thinking about increasing system drive space:  Anytime you buy a new data, application, or system drive, please consider how much capacity you have available on your backup drives.  Backup drives are NO JOKE.  So don't cheat yourself by buying only one drive (ostensibly to get more space), when maybe you should be thinking about ALSO getting some larger backup drives to support all that data that you've been adding to your computing devices!  I speak from experience on this.  Look at my system specs below. 

I've been using SSDs in ALL of my personal and company machines for YEARS now.  Never has an SSD died on me due to write endurance failures.  I promise all of you:  This is a non-issue.  Let's worry about things that actually deserve our worrying.  smiley

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Galaxy said:

I will not recommend used cards due to current mining market, though if the source/seller is reliable then it may be worth to get one. There is a rumor, those used for mining cards are tend to lose efficiency upto 90% and few days later upto100%.

That's a myth...  Most miners underclock the cards to hit the best power to hash ratio.  To top it off they are usualy in open air frames, so most mining cards never even pass 70c while working.

For example, a GTX 1080 ti mining at full 230W gets 33 Mh/s while the same card set at 60% (about 125W) power limit in MSI Afterburner still mines at 31 Mh/s

Most performance loss on a mining card is because the heatsink and fans are dirty... just like a gaming or rendering card that's been used for 2 years.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

I just pulled the trigger on getting an Alienware with the 3090 24Gb card.  Their delivery time is over a month though which really sucks. I want this thing now.

If you want a real good laugh look at eBay listings for Alienware systems.  I lost count at how many of them said "Like New - No GPU included." LOL

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

I wouldn't recommend buying used computer parts unless you know what you are getting yourself into.

That really good deal on that "like new" CPU could mean you just got some overclockers test subject that failed.GPUs, RAM cards, and motherboards are the same.People are overclocking them until they fail to run.Then dialing back the overclock until it will at least run some benchmark/game.Once the problems with black screens, PC rebooting randomly, random programs crashing,  and a whole host of other issues start, they post the parts on some resale site for the unwary to purchase.

There's even a growing interest in overclocking display monitors.Yep, that's right, display monitors.

If you can't afford to throw away the cash on that used PC part, don't risk it.

As far as buying some crypto-miners used junk, no thanks.

The sooner every miner in the whole world goes destitute broke the better the entire planet will be.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

No. I have a brand new Alienware coming direct from Dell.  Maxed out everything. i9 cpu and 128Gb ram and has the 3090 GPU which is what I wanted.  I was just saying that seeing how many Alienware systems are listed on eBay with no GPU included show that these damn miners are buying up Dell computers now just to get the GPU and hoping some poor fool will buy the box from them with no GPU (and most likely no warranty then).

• ps2000ps2000 Posts: 278

Got a RTX 3090 FE at MSRP at the monthly drop yesterday after failing to get a RTX 3070. I am so happy.

It was nerve wracking. Payment succeeded at the fifth try and keep in mind that putting the item in the basket doesn't reserve it.

After each failed attempt to pay I expected the card to vanish from my basket.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

IceCrMn said:

I wouldn't recommend buying used computer parts unless you know what you are getting yourself into.

That really good deal on that "like new" CPU could mean you just got some overclockers test subject that failed.GPUs, RAM cards, and motherboards are the same.People are overclocking them until they fail to run.Then dialing back the overclock until it will at least run some benchmark/game.Once the problems with black screens, PC rebooting randomly, random programs crashing,  and a whole host of other issues start, they post the parts on some resale site for the unwary to purchase.

There's even a growing interest in overclocking display monitors.Yep, that's right, display monitors.

The sooner every miner in the whole world goes destitute broke the better the entire planet will be.

Every Nvidia GPU I have ever bought has been used. Multiple 670s, 970, and multiple 1080tis.

Only one of these ever died, and that was because of a lightning strike. It happened to still be under EVGA warranty, even though it was used. So I got the RMA and got it replaced for the cost of a shipping it once. So buying used is not so bad, especially if the card is still under warranty. I don't know about other brands, but EVGA will honor their warranty even on second hand sales, and even if was used for mining. So even if was overclocked to the moon (which come on, is not that common), it is STILL covered, at least if it EVGA, for the full 3 years of the warranty period.

Every 2000 series GPU in existance is still under warranty. So if you can manage to get a used 2000 series, you at least have a period of time on its warranty. And of course any Ampere 3000 series will be under warranty as well, this assuming the brand honors second hand sales. With EVGA, they will use the date of manufacture to determine the time for the warranty with second hand sales.

The important thing here is to be aware of these warranties, and what brands honor warranties with second hand sales. Also, Ebay and other sites offer buyer protections to address these concerns. And of course, pay attention to the seller and their history, ratings.

outrider42 said:

IceCrMn said:

Every Nvidia GPU I have ever bought has been used. Multiple 670s, 970, and multiple 1080tis.

Only one of these ever died, and that was because of a lightning strike. It happened to still be under EVGA warranty, even though it was used. So I got the RMA and got it replaced for the cost of a shipping it once. So buying used is not so bad, especially if the card is still under warranty. I don't know about other brands, but EVGA will honor their warranty even on second hand sales, and even if was used for mining. So even if was overclocked to the moon (which come on, is not that common), it is STILL covered, at least if it EVGA, for the full 3 years of the warranty period.

Every 2000 series GPU in existance is still under warranty. So if you can manage to get a used 2000 series, you at least have a period of time on its warranty. And of course any Ampere 3000 series will be under warranty as well, this assuming the brand honors second hand sales. With EVGA, they will use the date of manufacture to determine the time for the warranty with second hand sales.

The important thing here is to be aware of these warranties, and what brands honor warranties with second hand sales. Also, Ebay and other sites offer buyer protections to address these concerns. And of course, pay attention to the seller and their history, ratings.

I have never had a modern Gforce or Quadro card fail on me.  Most recent failure was an old Passively cooled XFX Geforce 7950 GT,  It was about 10 years old when it died.
    Here's my list of cards that have not died over the years starting from the Geforce GTX 500 sereis.

GTX 560ti (new)
    GTX 560 ti (used)
    Quadro 4000M (used laptop)
    Quadro 5010M (used) (laptop upgrade)
    GTX 660 (new)
    Quadro K4000 (used)
    Quadro K4000M (used laptop)
    GTX 980M used (laptop upgrade)
    GTX 965M (new laptop)
    GTX 1060 (new)
    GTX 1080 ti (new)
    GTX 1060 (new laptop)
    Quadro M1000M (used laptop)
    Quadro M3000M (used laptop)
    Quadro P4000 used (laptop upgrade)
    Quadro P5000 used (laptop upgrade)
    GTX 1080 (used) (purchased cheap as overheating card.  cleaned heatsink and works fine)
    GTX 1080 ti (used)
    RTX 3070 (new)

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,114

Crypto-miners are the enemy.

I will not give them support of any kind.

That includes buying the used GPUs/hardware they no longer want.

I wouldn't even accept any of it for free.

As far as I'm concerned they can burn that huge pile of GPUs for heat this winter.

Anyone that wants can obviously choose to support them.It's a personal choice we all get to make.

Subtropic Pixel said:

kyoto kid said:

...thanks.   

Still need to get that SSD for the Content Library though to speed up accessing and loading content. Need to figure out though how to move the scene library as that sees more write operations (as I do intermittent saves) which is not good for SSDs.  That particular directory is under the main Daz3D folder. Not sure if moving it might not break something.

Your data writes will NOT kill a modern SSD.  Just won't.  Countless times, I've referred people to the studies done on SSD write endurance, and it's simply NOT an issue to fear.  Or to waste your valuable time and life-essence implementing time-consuming tweaks.  Most of the time, you'll need to replace the SSD just because you put too much junk on it and you used up all your free space.  And that'll happen long before you wear out the write capacity of the cells through daily usage.

Please Google the TechReport test from several years ago and you'll see what I mean.  The SHEER NUMBER OF WRITES NEEDED to kill an SSD are far, far more than you're going to be doing in your scene library, even if you worked in DS every day of every week in the year.  Tech Report had to use AUTOMATION to keep doing writes 24X7X365 to their test SSDs, and they had to run that automation for like a year before the first drive died.

For that matter, not even SWAP files will kill an SSD, and swap files have a frillion write operations during use.

This may sound unkind and harsh, but I'll say that your SSD will likely outlive you no matter how much you use it.  As people knowledgable about systems and components, it's our responsibility to "get it right" and to avoid spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) on SSDs and write operations.  Besides, they don't really make a lot of computers (laptops anyhow) with old-school hard drives in them.  There are no spinning drives available to fit the M.2 slot that's quickly becoming the standard.

Here, for your convenience, here's the Tech Report article from 2015.  It's been 6 years since we've known that day-to-day usage doesn't kill SSDs.  Please read this and reconsider your fear.

And this for anybody thinking about increasing system drive space:  Anytime you buy a new data, application, or system drive, please consider how much capacity you have available on your backup drives.  Backup drives are NO JOKE.  So don't cheat yourself by buying only one drive (ostensibly to get more space), when maybe you should be thinking about ALSO getting some larger backup drives to support all that data that you've been adding to your computing devices!  I speak from experience on this.  Look at my system specs below. 

I've been using SSDs in ALL of my personal and company machines for YEARS now.  Never has an SSD died on me due to write endurance failures.  I promise all of you:  This is a non-issue.  Let's worry about things that actually deserve our worrying.  smiley

...I have a 4TB external backup with it's own active cooling. 

2 TB SATA SSDs have come down significantly in price (around 200$ - 225$) while 4 TB ones are priced about where 1 TB units were five years ago. I already have a 240 GB SATA III drive for my boot drive. 

I wish they would  have translated those numbers into actual "lifetime" in years. For example my Daz sessions tend to be around about 5 - 7 hours a day so it would be nice to know what that 2.4 PB (Samsung ) of read/write operations means in actual lifespan before needing replacement. As I mention I also do frequent intermittent saves (particularly before rendering).  One of my other reasons to leave both the scene library and IM backup on the current drive is to free up space on the new library drive just for content. Being on a tight budget, I'm not one who purchases every new thing Daz releases. I'm rather choosy about what I buy as I'm not into certain genres that are popular in the store or overly sexy stuff. I also tend to dial spin my characters so I rely on more resource content and don't even grab many new core figures let alone character add-ons. So it will be a while before that SSD is filled and I need either a larger replacement unit or a second one.

As my MB is older, the BIOS doesn't support PCIe M.2 drives so there is no point in looking at those. I also only have PCIe 2.0 slots which would significantly reduce performance. If I  updated the MB I'd effectively end up having to build a whole new system (save for the GPU and drives) which is out of the question financially.

kyoto kid said:

Subtropic Pixel said:

kyoto kid said:

...thanks.   

...I have a 4TB external backup with it's own active cooling. 

2 TB SATA SSDs have come down significantly in price (around 200$ - 225$) while 4 TB ones are priced about where 1 TB units were five years ago. I already have a 240 GB SATA III drive for my boot drive. 

I wish they would  have translated those numbers into actual "lifetime" in years. For example my Daz sessions tend to be around about 5 - 7 hours a day so it would be nice to know what that 2.4 PB (Samsung ) of read/write operations means in actual lifespan before needing replacement. As I mention I also do frequent intermittent saves (particularly before rendering).  One of my other reasons to leave both the scene library and IM backup on the current drive is to free up space on the new library drive just for content. Being on a tight budget, I'm not one who purchases every new thing Daz releases. I'm rather choosy about what I buy as I'm not into certain genres that are popular in the store or overly sexy stuff. I also tend to dial spin my characters so I rely on more resource content and don't even grab many new core figures let alone character add-ons. So it will be a while before that SSD is filled and I need either a larger replacement unit or a second one.

As my MB is older, the BIOS doesn't support PCIe M.2 drives so there is no point in looking at those. I also only have PCIe 2.0 slots which would significantly reduce performance. If I  updated the MB I'd effectively end up having to build a whole new system (save for the GPU and drives) which is out of the question financially.

So on a traditional HDD life is rated in hours because the disk spins and eventually wears out.  An SSD has no moving parts, and causes no wear and tear when idle.  So, a SSD used as an archive  drive could last hundreds of years, because it is rarely written to.

Whereas the traditional HDD is racking up hours of use all the time while your computer is on.

Also on a side note, PCIe 2.0 is 0.5GB/s per lane so a 4x m.2 card can still transfer @ 2GB/s on PCIe 2.0.  Just because your BIOS doesn't support m.2, doesn't mean that you can't use it.  Most likely it just won't work as a boot drive. 

edited May 2021

...installing new content is still a write operation, so is saving scenes say every fifteen minutes, so is the IM Installer archive (just in case something gets corrupted so I don't have to download again, also handy when Daz vaults products) which is 426 GB by itself.  It all adds up   This is why I would like it to primarily be more of a "read" device as possible. 

Currently my entire Content Library (sans most Poser files - I install them as I need them) is at only 629 GB on disk out of 2 TB so the IM archive almost doubles that by itself.

So, the 2TB intel NVME drive in my desktop has been in use for over 2 years with over 20TB written, and it's life remaining is showing 99%  I honestly wouldn't worry about SSD life, unless you are buying generic chinese brands.  If you want to be extra cautious, pay the extra money and get enterprise grade drives. 

My library is over 4200 items weighing in at 527GB.  The thing is, once that is written to your SSD, it is static data and is not contributing any further to the TB written stat.
    As long as you keep your Windows swap file off of your Daz SSD... The drive will probably be obsolete before it fails..

edited May 2021

...an NVME SSD though uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot  As I mentioned my X58 MB only has PCIe 2,0 slots which would severely reduce performance from what I have read, so to save on finances I'll be sticking with "slower" SATA III format.. I am also running W7 Pro 64 which as I understand is not "NVME ready" like W8.1 or 10.(no way am I going to that nausiating UI, sacrificing my start button, and with 10, "force fed" updating along with a tonne of useless rubbishware and more every six months).

I do plan to move the Swap partition from the 240 GB boot SSD to the 2 GB HDD (which will mainly be for data storage) after I copy my entire library/runtime over to the new SSD.. As I have 24 GB of RAM and a Titan X, I shouldn't be having to deal much with Swap mode when rendering (which when I was still rendering on the CPU was rather common).  However, I have been investigating increasing system RAM to 48 GB just for teh extra overhead as I am running a 6 core Xeon 5660 which supports more than 24 GB.  A number of people have been successful in doing so..

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739

kyoto kid said:

...an NVME SSD though uses a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot  As I mentioned my X58 MB only has PCIe 2,0 slots which would severely reduce performance from what I have read, so to save on finances I'll be sticking with "slower" SATA III format.. I am also running W7 Pro 64 which as I understand is not "NVME ready" like W8.1 or 10.(no way am I going to that nausiating UI, sacrificing my start button, and with 10, "force fed" updating along with a tonne of useless rubbishware and more every six months).

You can easily disable all updates in Win 10 Pro, my render PC hasn't been updated for over 2 years (I would like to update actually just haven't got it done yet).  It asks once a day if I want to update but I just close the update window and that's it (I won't recommend skipping updates if you use it for browsing though, for security reasons).  My other two Win 10 PCs do get updated but I haven't really noticed any "rubbishware", as least not anything that's giving me any problems.  Personally I wouldn't go back to any earlier versions of Windows.