Holy Cuda Cores, Renderman! My GPU has tripled in price!

Comments

• droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

Is this free PC good for multitasking?

Absolutely.

I can use it as a footstool, a coffee table, a door stop, ambiant lighting from the rgb all at the same time.

Joking aside its a bog standard desktop useful for anyone who doesn't require anything super powerful.

Ryzen 3400g

B450m mb

8gb ram

240gb nvme

550w psu.

And the all important rgb case. 

Can you run a 3060 card with a 550w PSU?

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    edited April 2021

droidy001 said:

Galaxy said:

Is this free PC good for multitasking?

Absolutely.

I can use it as a footstool, a coffee table, a door stop, ambiant lighting from the rgb all at the same time.

Joking aside its a bog standard desktop useful for anyone who doesn't require anything super powerful.

Ryzen 3400g

B450m mb

8gb ram

240gb nvme

550w psu.

And the all important rgb case. 

Can you run a 3060 card with a 550w PSU?

Nvidia recommends at least 550w and they always add a little bit to the minimum for butt covering purposes. Also when you consider it's a low power cpu with an m.2 ssd and only 1 case fan, it's easily covered. I'd been running a titan x with a ryzen 2600, 240mm aio, 6 fans and a couple of mechanical hdd on a 550w psu no problem for months.
    Post edited by droidy001 on
  • Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 871

Hmmm/

DAZ forums tend to like doing things by consensus.  Glad i take many DAZ forum points, some are good, and some make me wonder, and consider.

In this case, build a relationship with a big vendor and I have for a month plus already a RTX3090 Gigabyte Extreme with 3x8pins, alongside all my custom hand-picked new PC parts.  I did have to wait 2.5 months past Chinese new year.  So, the point is not to go look at what i got, but to say, there may be ways past buy online without any relationships.  And my cost was normal pre-scalper.  Seriously.  Not in USA.  Have built my new own PC with 128gb ram this way.   Perhaps harder now.  No idea.

Writing this as some technical posts here have helped my time alot. 

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

I am looking to setup a machine just for DAZ.  It's impossible to find anything now adays.  But I stumbled up on some pre-built options. How do theses specs look?

• Intel Core i7 10700F 2.90GHz (4.80GHz Turbo Boost), 8-Core 16-Thread
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
    • ASUS TUF Gaming B460M-Plus, WiFi 5
    • 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
    • 512GB SATA SSD
    • 600W 80 Plus Gold
  • 16GB might be a bit tight with a 12GB card. You'd almost certainly want ore storage, not necessarily SSD.

• GalaxyGalaxy Posts: 562

16GB DDR4 is okey for very simple rendering. Try to get single stick 16GB and later you can upgrade upto 64GB. Though your RTX 3060  total 12GB vram may never work with 16GB ram.

512GB Disk for Daz Content is too little even with a small content library.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

For those frustrated at the apparently bleak outlook for rendering hardware for the forseeable future, there are alternatives that may allow you to do wonderful renders with existing and/or low end hardware, and at the same allow you to do them quickly and with tons of control. 

FWIW, what I do is use the DAZ Studio render layers/canvases capability and render in layers. So for example I do a fast render of a character against a transparent background and then use either an HDRI or photo or rendered image of a background, then drag 'n drop the resulting canvases/render layers into the amazing compositor in Blender and put the character image over the background. And there's an infinite number of variations depending on your needs. 

My Blender startup scene has a default saved node setup so all I have to do is connect up the DAZ canvases to existing nodes, and adjust stuff like glow and color and vignettes and depth of field and light rays and adjust individual light contributions and on and on. And it's all in real time with simple slilders. In fact I've become so happy with the latest Blender compositor I've almost ditched the professional compositor I've been using for years (Nuke).  

Of course it's not for everyone, and I suppose for those who do video games it doesn't help, but I've found it to be much faster and a lot of fun, and it allows me to tweak my images in real time without going back and rendering. And Blender is free, so it can save you a ton of money, and only require you get up to speed on the whole compositing thing.

There's something wonderful about being able watch your environment lighting and emissives adjusted separately in real time (color, intensity, etc.), and crank the depth of field up and down, and add glows and stuff. 

Just something to consider... 

Galaxy said:

16GB DDR4 is okey for very simple rendering. Try to get single stick 16GB and later you can upgrade upto 64GB. Though your RTX 3060  total 12GB vram may never work with 16GB ram.

Thanks for the info.  I really want to get into iRay and decrease my render times.  I am on a 2013 Mac Pro trashcan right now and it is just abysmal.  With all this supply shortage I am now leaning with getting a pre-built system instead of building my own.  So aside from the option I listed above from Newegg, I also looked into an Alienware from Dell or an S-Class from Origin.  

The Aurora R12 has amazing specs and the coveted RTX 3090 w/24Gb. But the price tag is crazy at 4 grand. I can customize an Origin with a 3060 w/12 Gb for 1 grand less.

Thoughts?

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

Well, I just pulled the trigger.  Ordered a PNY Quadro RTX A4000!  Can't wait to have a fast 16GB card for rendering!

Now I just need to wait impatiently for 6 - 8 weeks... (If anyone knows anywhere that has them in stock right now, let me know so I can buy a second one.)

• droidy001droidy001 Posts: 277
    Geminii23 said:

Galaxy said:

Thanks for the info.  I really want to get into iRay and decrease my render times.  I am on a 2013 Mac Pro trashcan right now and it is just abysmal.  With all this supply shortage I am now leaning with getting a pre-built system instead of building my own.  So aside from the option I listed above from Newegg, I also looked into an Alienware from Dell or an S-Class from Origin.  

The Aurora R12 has amazing specs and the coveted RTX 3090 w/24Gb. But the price tag is crazy at 4 grand. I can customize an Origin with a 3060 w/12 Gb for 1 grand less.

Thoughts?

Have you tried the big retailers that offer custom builds? I use Scan here in the UK. They didn't have any retail gpu for sale but did have some for use in their custom builds. And they didn't add a ridiculous amount on for the name like Alienware do.
  • fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

droidy001 said:

Have you tried the big retailers that offer custom builds? I use Scan here in the UK. They didn't have any retail gpu for sale but did have some for use in their custom builds. And they didn't add a ridiculous amount on for the name like Alienware do.

I had my CPU, MB, PSU and RAM replaced last weekend. There was a sign in the shop saying none of the RTX 3000 series are sold unless with a pre-build. I gather that this situation is very common.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

ebergerly said:

For those frustrated at the apparently bleak outlook for rendering hardware for the forseeable future, there are alternatives that may allow you to do wonderful renders with existing and/or low end hardware, and at the same allow you to do them quickly and with tons of control. 

FWIW, what I do is use the DAZ Studio render layers/canvases capability and render in layers. So for example I do a fast render of a character against a transparent background and then use either an HDRI or photo or rendered image of a background, then drag 'n drop the resulting canvases/render layers into the amazing compositor in Blender and put the character image over the background. And there's an infinite number of variations depending on your needs. 

My Blender startup scene has a default saved node setup so all I have to do is connect up the DAZ canvases to existing nodes, and adjust stuff like glow and color and vignettes and depth of field and light rays and adjust individual light contributions and on and on. And it's all in real time with simple slilders. In fact I've become so happy with the latest Blender compositor I've almost ditched the professional compositor I've been using for years (Nuke).  

Of course it's not for everyone, and I suppose for those who do video games it doesn't help, but I've found it to be much faster and a lot of fun, and it allows me to tweak my images in real time without going back and rendering. And Blender is free, so it can save you a ton of money, and only require you get up to speed on the whole compositing thing.

There's something wonderful about being able watch your environment lighting and emissives adjusted separately in real time (color, intensity, etc.), and crank the depth of field up and down, and add glows and stuff. 

...I do not use compositing as I create scenes with a fair amount of depth so shadows become an issue.  I am unable to do detailed digital painting to manually add shadows due to lack of a steady hand.  I basically use a lot of geometry and stay away from HDRIs as they are usually are someone else's photo setting, not mine.  Therefore I need a GPU capable of handling the load  So far the Titan-X I have (Maxwell) has been up to the task. True it doesn't have Tensor and RTX cores that accelerate the process but it is still "light years" ahead of rendering on the CPU. 

I am also runnng with 24 GB of system memory. 

So far Dell/Alienware is the only option I can find that has the 3090.  Newegg, BestBuy are the only big retailers I know of and they don't offer the 3090. Neither does Maingear or Origin.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

Rather than lamenting the fact that high-end GPUs are virtually impossible to buy outside pre-built rigs, it has the effect of stopping miners buying out stocks from stores. Whether or not this is intentional on the part of stores I have no idea. They probably make more margin selling a system with a 3080/3090 than they would selling separately, saving a bit with lower quality components. 

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610
    edited April 2021

Geminii23 said:

So far Dell/Alienware is the only option I can find that has the 3090.  Newegg, BestBuy are the only big retailers I know of and they don't offer the 3090. Neither does Maingear or Origin.

CyberPowerPC has them.

But I've already mentioned that going with a pre-build results in you losing all control of what model of 3XXX card you get. You get what they give you basically...so for folks like me who want a very specific model, the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, a pre-build is still really not an option. Right now, the only way I see myself folding and going with a pre-build and whatever 3090 happens to come with it, is if my 1080TI takes a crapper and I really have no other choice. Then again, there is still the option of paying a scalper double MSRP for the card I want and continuing on to build out my specific build list, because priced out, it really wasn't much more expensive than going with a configurator build from Alienware or CyberPowerPC or OriginPC. 

Post edited by MelissaGT on

ebergerly said:

For me, the heavy resource use comes down with things like dForce hair and dForce clothing and characters at SubD 4...so I think that would be very hard on a CPU-only system, even with compositing. I only do that now as a last resort...say if I have a heavy scene I can't fit on my 1080TI even after optimizing.  

Suppose I am a scalper. I need to buy every pieces if possible. Suppose I bought 1 million pieces. Then my target will be to sale 25% at above MSRP and rest of them I will try to sale @ MSRP or above MSRP. Even if I can sell 10% at the rate of above MSRP I am still a gainer.

Therefore this condition will change only if there is more than sufficient supply available in future. Which might possible but possibility is less because more than sufficient supply is still risky.

Therefore it is looks like a prebuilt system is best deal for now.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,941
    edited April 2021

melissastjames said:

CyberPowerPC has them.

But I've already mentioned that going with a pre-build results in you losing all control of what model of 3XXX card you get. You get what they give you basically...so for folks like me who want a very specific model, the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, a pre-build is still really not an option. Right now, the only way I see myself folding and going with a pre-build and whatever 3090 happens to come with it, is if my 1080TI takes a crapper and I really have no other choice. Then again, there is still the option of paying a scalper double MSRP for the card I want and continuing on to build out my specific build list, because priced out, it really wasn't much more expensive than going with a configurator build from Alienware or CyberPowerPC or OriginPC. 

Or you can go the hotstock if you live in the UK/u.s./CA via best buy for a FE at MSRP (A 3090 just dropped on the 15th, so they're out there!) and/or the now in stock route <=I just picked up the last SeaSonicPrime Ultra Titanium Series 1000W 80 PSU via B&H for $300, on amazon/newegg the scalpers want close to $500! 

The few stores that don't host scalpers are BestBuy and B&H, moral of the story, quit going to amazon/newegg for your PC parts! wink

Post edited by takezo_3001 on
    edited April 2021

takezo_3001 said:

melissastjames said:

CyberPowerPC has them.

Or you can go the hotstock if you live in the UK/u.s./CA via best buy for a FE at MSRP (A 3090 just dropped on the 15th, so they're out there!) and/or the now in stock route <=I just picked up the last SeaSonicPrime Ultra Titanium Series 1000W 80 PSU via B&H for $300, on amazon/newegg the scalpers want close to $500! 

The few stores that don't host scalpers are BestBuy and B&H, moral of the story, quit going to amazon/newegg for your PC parts! wink

I don't shop at Newegg...and that still requires you to be butt in chair at the exact right time to be able to order when it comes available. I do have a life outside shopping for a GPU.  

Post edited by MelissaGT on

So does anyone have a solid recommendation on which GPU to be looking for? The build I am looking at with Origin has a 3060 with 12gb but 3 grand is still way more than I am comfortable with spending. Newegg has a cheaper system that comes with a 2060/8Gb gpu. Does the extra vram just help with more characters and assets in a scene?  Right now it is taking me way over an hour to render a simple scene with 1 character at 1280x720 cause I am limited to CPU rendering only.

Geminii23 said:

So does anyone have a solid recommendation on which GPU to be looking for? The build I am looking at with Origin has a 3060 with 12gb but 3 grand is still way more than I am comfortable with spending. Newegg has a cheaper system that comes with a 2060/8Gb gpu. Does the extra vram just help with more characters and assets in a scene?  Right now it is taking me way over an hour to render a simple scene with 1 character at 1280x720 cause I am limited to CPU rendering only.

For Iray rendering, if you want to render on the GPU, the more VRAM the better. The scene has to be able to fit entirely on the GPU, or Daz will default to rendering on the CPU and not use the GPU at all. So if you can afford more VRAM, then I would get it. 

That being said, if you intend on gaming at all, the 3060 might not be your best choice, as I've read it will be much slower than other cards with less VRAM...hence the much cheaper price tag. If you're a gamer, as I am, ideally you want a fast card with lots of VRAM. 

edited April 2021

Geminii23 said:

Go for as much vram and cuda cores you can afford/comfortable. Most scenes will fit but for some complex scenes more vram is an unavoidable requirement for Iray rendering. More vram means more characters and complex environment, props and other features etc.

GPU is faster, if you never tried Iray with a GPU then rendering speed of any RTX GPU will surprise you for few days.

Some of those simple scenes with 1 character at 1280x720 will take less than a minute or few seconds only.

Post edited by Galaxy on
    edited April 2021

melissastjames said:

Geminii23 said:

For Iray rendering, if you want to render on the GPU, the more VRAM the better. The scene has to be able to fit entirely on the GPU, or Daz will default to rendering on the CPU and not use the GPU at all. So if you can afford more VRAM, then I would get it. 

That being said, if you intend on gaming at all, the 3060 might not be your best choice, as I've read it will be much slower than other cards with less VRAM...hence the much cheaper price tag. If you're a gamer, as I am, ideally you want a fast card with lots of VRAM. 

I have no intention of gaming.  This is strictly going to be for DAZ and possibly would like to try using iClone. 

Post edited by Geminii23 on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,538

I would select the 12GB 3060, 8GB's has been enough but the trend is going up fast with the different shader maps and creators not necessarily understanding the consequences of their choices with UV mapping.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...just checked HotStock and Best Buy is still indicating they are sold out. 

The "Buy it Now" prices on eBay are as ridiculous as Amazon.  Even most of the auctions are currently showing a higher bid price than what an A5000 costs, and I expect those to reach the level of the Buy it Now price when they end. 

• Best Buy is always sold out until the new stock drops, then they are in stock for a few minutes.

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

Kevin Sanderson said:

Best Buy is always sold out until the new stock drops, then they are in stock for a few minutes.

Minutes, try seconds. I've been trying for months to get a second 3090 and it almost seems impossible, untless I fork out 3 grand on Ebay, which I refuse to do.  

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,316

For Best Buy, can you get your name on a list of those wanting the GPU. I know some stores do that here in Canada. Then when it comes in they call you and you go buy it. I assume it can only be done if you actually go to the store and make this request. Not sure if you can do it by phone.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

Faeryl Womyn said:

For Best Buy, can you get your name on a list of those wanting the GPU. I know some stores do that here in Canada. Then when it comes in they call you and you go buy it. I assume it can only be done if you actually go to the store and make this request. Not sure if you can do it by phone.

I will try that. There is one only 100 miles away.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,313

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but I just saw an article saying that Nvidia is taking active steps to reduce the ?hashtag? efficiency of the 30 series gpu's to make them less desireable for crypto-mining so that hobbyists and gamers can get a crack at these cards too.  It sounded legit, but I don't know all the specs and details.  I saw the article on techradar-dot-com.  If true, Nvidia deserves at least a little nod of respect for even considering 'the rest of us'.  Maybe those of you who have given up hope will actually get a chance after all.