LuxusCore Carrara

Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

New build that fixes Shading Domain mixup bug.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/preview/win64/LuxusCore.zip

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks,
    I sent you a pm, It's probably that I don't know what I am doing, since that is my normal problem :)

Its my bug. The 5_Eyelash did not have a shader, so the Shading Domains are shifted. I will fix it, but for now make sure every Shading Domain has a shader.

You are a genius. That fixed it. It's real cool seeing realtime figure changes.

I left the eyelash off because I wasn't sure how to do transparency with Luxcore materials.

Thanks for all the hard work and help, also for putting up with this pesky noob user. ;)

screen01d.jpg
    1920 x 1044 - 931K
    edited December 2014

joeping said:
    joeping said:
    Thanks,
    I sent you a pm, It's probably that I don't know what I am doing, since that is my normal problem :)

Its my bug. The 5_Eyelash did not have a shader, so the Shading Domains are shifted. I will fix it, but for now make sure every Shading Domain has a shader.

You are a genius. That fixed it. It's real cool seeing realtime figure changes.

I left the eyelash off because I wasn't sure how to do transparency with Luxcore materials.

Thanks for all the hard work and help, also for putting up with this pesky noob user. ;)

LuxCore Surface
    > LuxCore Mix
    >> LuxCore Null
    >> LuxCore Matte or whatever material you desire
    >> Amount is 0.0 for Null, 1.0 for Matte, or put a carrara texture map in there for something like eyelashes.

You can swap the order of Null and Matte if you want 1.0 for fully transparent.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 2014

Oh, also LuxCore Infinite supports EXR's and I made it so you can browse for them.

edited December 2014

Thanks for the tip!
    That technique also works for hair transparency.

Now I just need to figure out how to animate with it:)

screen01e.jpg
    1920 x 1044 - 262K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited December 2014

I use OpenHardwareMonitor to see what my GPU load is and it always is pegged at 99% when I render, of course I don't have a Titan. 5.5Million samples per second on 3/4 million triangles seems really good to me.

The IPR window is constantly refreshing so try rendering with the Render button. Also using the Render button you can try the following "config settings" which should turn off using cpu for rendering:
    opencl.cpu.use = 0

But I think that is the default.

Just downloaded OpenHardwareMonitor, will use it later, thanks for that. And if I sound like I have info holes that's because am a one week old super Carrara noob. For what it's worth I do have up to date DS and Reality4 so not a stranger to Luxrender and DS shaderverses.

Downloaded the latest make. Appreciate the buttons update! :)

This round focusing on Render Room rendering only. Genesis basic fem and "native DS" dress and "nativeDS" hair all have LuxCore Surface auto-loaded.

Luxcore Infinite light didn't work again. Produced 1111 yellow screen, after waited for 30 sec+, abort. Sun Sky works, very nicely indeed. Also tested with default native Light1, not too bad result actually.

This time no CPU fan sound, super quiet, even with the same threads-hungry multiple softwares running. Without checking monitor, I'm almost certain it is GPU-only (My otherwise super-quiet rig typically kicks into fan mode in Reality4 CPU and hybrid modes, but has higher speed render and grain-less GPU-only renders)

So this (GPU only?) LC final rendering behavior is the same with Reality4 Luxrender: wait 10-20 seconds or so for image to appear, when it appears it is low grain/ almost firefly free. But LuxusCore Carrara is so far at least 2X faster for the same scene.

Both w/o hair and with transmapped Aldora hair, at HD (1280x960 72dpi), a very acceptable and animation-friendly under 20 seconds and 30 seconds respectively.

Very happy with that!

One of my chief issue with Carrara is the very uninspiring last gen interactive/ preview render. I have a Octane ready rig yes - but am not a photorealism diehard so am agnostic to biased/unbiased solutions. Workflow is everything to animators, so any speedy animation-supportive renderer that is well-integrated with all Carrara's awesome features will be my No.1 preference. So far this is looking VERY good!

If LuxusCore Carrara could closely integrate Carrara's native instances, hair spline, particles shaders, bullet physics, near-real-time update of animation at varying adjustable qualities... It would be a total breakthrough in this corner of animation universe! Imagine working on 2 same size navigate-able viewports simultaenously with IPR live/pause button...wow...

Will love to test LuxusCore Carrara some more but need to pack as will be away from my desktop for yearend family trip will be back in a week or so.

Good luck with this very awesome project!

EDIT: and OMG, EXR too! Bonus!

luxcore3.png
    1084 x 748 - 500K
    Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • EyosEyos Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

Seems wonderful renderer and fast too. I find it easier to work with than with the original LuxRender. I get better results with less effort.
    Looks like LuxCore can be a real blessing to Carrara.
    SphericLabs thanks a lot. I'll surely buy the Luxus upgrade when available.

edited December 2014

LuxCore Infinite requires a file, see image. For just a colored infinite light you want a constant infinite light. I will add that light next build so it will be ready when you get back from vacation.

ss.png
    1913 x 1019 - 890K
    edited December 2014

joeping said:
    Thanks for the tip!

I tested rendering an avi, there are some problems, but it does work.

You will need some sort of halt condition. I recommend at this point halttime. Its in seconds. I recommend 24 seconds. . Also, you should use the SOBOL sampler.

So add these to your config settings.

batch.halttime = 24
    sampler.type = SOBOL

Problems
    - Don't go less then 10 seconds on halttime, I will fix this but right now it won't work if you go too low.
    - BIG ONE! - You will only see the first frame drawn. After that the drawing will disappear and it will look like it is not working. The only indicator of progress will be the render progress bar will move every so often.

Here is a movie to prove it works. I translated the sphere and rotated the infinite light to animate the IBL.
    -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GR9L1A8mTU

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    Thanks for the tip!

I tested rendering an avi, there are some problems, but it does work.

You will need some sort of halt condition. I recommend at this point halttime. Its in seconds. I recommend 25 seconds. . Also, you should use the SOBOL sampler.

So add these to your config settings.

batch.halttime = 25
    sampler.type = SOBOL

Problems
    - Don't go less then 10 seconds on halttime, I will fix this but right now it won't work if you go too low.
    - BIG ONE! - You will only see the first frame drawn. After that the drawing will disappear and it will look like it is not working. The only indicator of progress will be the render progress bar will move every so often.

Here is a movie to prove it works. I translated the sphere and rotated the infinite light to animate the IBL.
    -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GR9L1A8mTU

I was just going to ask about suggested settings for animation, then your post came in. So I went ahead to try it out here.

I must say I'm impressed with the stability. 4 secs animation took 51 minutes to render averaging 1 minute per frame, ultimately, I would want to find a way to reduce it to half that time for ten times the render quality (won't we all!). The character is from previous Carrara project, no optimization done to the textures to make them compatible with LuxCore or anything like that. Only two LuxCore sun sky lights in the scene with Skytype disabled. Gain dropped to 0.1 seems to get rid of noise faster (I have no understanding of what gain does, I just dropped it real low on a hunch and it seemed to work, would appreciate any explanation). Rendered with following config settings as suggested by SphericLabs:
    renderengine.type = PATHCPU
    batch.halttime = 25
    sampler.type = SOBOL

Video is 75% compressed, but I'm generally impressed with the render quality given the time it took to deliver because I'm sure with better understanding of the settings, the output can be improved significantly. Do add me to the list of potential adopters once this is done.

edited December 1969

Awesome.

I am guessing that you crash unless you use the renderengine.type = PATHCPU ? Being able to run with PATHOCL, the default, would likely speedup your renders significantly.

edited December 1969

Luxcore Infinite light didn’t work again. Produced 1111 yellow screen, after waited for 30 sec+, abort. Sun Sky works, very nicely indeed. Also tested with default native Light1, not too bad result actually.

I had the same experience with Mythmaker, so definitely looking out for the update to the infinite light in the next build. I could also only get it to work with config setting: renderengine.type = PATHCPU. I'm curious to see what my Nvidia GeForce GT 525M (running on 64 bit, Intel Core i7, 2.20GHz CPU with 6GB of RAM) would make of it, but I can't even wrap my head around why LuxCore might or might not be on good terms with the GPU. Updated the Nvidia driver recently but will try again soon to see if that helps.

The first image attached is a native Carrara (8.5) render with full indirect lighting at what I would consider optimum settings. It took 3 minutes and 50 seconds. The second one was done with LuxCore without any changes to the settings apart from dropping Gain down to 0.25. That one took 8 minutes to render, but obviously the frames rendered at 1 minute per frame when I dropped Gain further to 0.1 for the short animation above.

Trial_Lux_vers_8mins.png
    640 x 480 - 213K
    Trial_Car_vers_fullindirectLight_3mins50secs.png
    640 x 480 - 203K
    edited December 1969

Its probably missing(I will fix it) the 30 second mark and not moving forward till the 60 second mark. Maybe try a lower time for now.
    batch.halttime = 20

edited December 1969

I wonder if its running out of video memory. EXR's can be big. Maybe try resizing the image if you can.

edited December 1969

Well, using your last two suggestions, (I used halttimeof 20 and reduced the image size by half) it doesn't hog the system resources like before and it doesn't hang forever, but it returns a black image for the render with nothing in it. Something to do with the light set up that works with PATHCPU but doesn't work with PATHOCL? I'm just a noob user so I'm not strong on the technical stuff.

edited December 2014

hmm. Back to 25 seconds then.
    batch.halttime = 25

I will get it fixed, so it 30 will work.

edited December 1969

Thanks, wish you great success with this, looks promising.

edited December 1969

Bug:
    When I render objects that were stretched significantly, I get a couple of issues:
    1) The edge of a stretched cube becomes transparent - see attached picture.
    2) When I apply a shader to a stretched object, only part of the object will get shaded. (for example: only one facet of a box will be shaded in the render, while the other facets remain gray).

Bug1.jpg
    135 x 294 - 21K
    edited December 2014

I made a cube and stretched it 3000% in the z and it's not doing that. Can you PM me a link to a scene with that there stretched object?

edited December 2014

Thanks for the info and hard work SphericLabs,
    You can see my animation experiment at http://youtu.be/SaUNiVgzsjA
    I used your settings and Carrara's physics to animate it. Now to try it on my genesis figure. ;)

edited December 1969

I made a cube and stretched it 3000% in the z and it's not doing that. Can you PM me a link to a scene with that there stretched object?

I sent you PM with a file.

edited December 1969

Eyos said:

Hmm. Daz forum software won't let me download it. Maybe zip it up first?

edited December 2014

joeping said:
    Thanks for the info and hard work SphericLabs,
    You can see my animation experiment at http://youtu.be/SaUNiVgzsjA
    I used your settings and Carrara's physics to animate it. Now to try it on my genesis figure. ;)

Very cool.

Lots of people were excited about LuxRender hybrid(CPU + GPU) rendering, but then found it really did not go that much faster.

LuxCore is already significantly faster than LuxRender, even in CPU mode, but a huge point to emphasize is that when using the default PATHOCL, LuxCore will scale. Or in other words(if you have a desktop), add another GPU just like the one you have and you will render twice as fast.

For me and others with laptops, that does not help so much, but with those with desktops. Wow.

edited December 1969

Eyos said:

I've sent it zipped.

edited December 1969

Eyos said:
    Eyos said:

I've sent it zipped.

I see it.

LuxCore uses accelerators, these speed up ray casting and figuring out what rays hit and where. The default is for LuxCore to choose the accelerator.
    accelerator.type = AUTO

I tried each of the following in my config settings:
    accelerator.type = BVH
    accelerator.type = MBVH
    accelerator.type = QBVH
    accelerator.type = MQBVH

MBVH is the one having a problem here. I recommend one of the others. I will report the problem to the LuxCore devs.

edited December 2014

Thanks for the help SphericLabs,
    See the animated version on YouTube at http://youtu.be/ehnHjI0iIgk

This is a quick test of LuxusCore Carrara's animation rendering capabilities on a genesis figure. It is rendered at 90 sec per frame at 1280 X 720, using NLA clips from my previous Mimic Plug in for Carrara Pro 8.5 Pro experiment. [ http://youtu.be/l_tvPCbcjKg ]

luxcoreAnim02.jpg
    633 x 573 - 99K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 2014

Joeping, your work (even just testing) is stellar as always! Was dazzled by that animation, and it was actually much longer than I would have expected for a quick test. Was she speaking Italian? Also, did you what software did you use to get such accurate lip syching? Surely you didn't keyframe all of that?

Edit: reading comprehension fail on my part, just notice you already mentioned Mimic :)

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 2014

Thanks,
    She is speaking Spanish. The NLA's are from an old Mimic Pro test where I was trying lip sync on a language I didn't understand. I also wanted to see how Mimic Pro handled non-english text. There are 5 NLA tracks (brow, expressions, body, phonemes, gestures). The eye target probably needs to be shifted so that she doesn't look so far to the side and there are tons of tweaks needed, but its just a test of luxcore.

SphericLabs - I thought for sure this would crash Luxcore Carrara, but it handled it like a champ. 4 hours of render (380 frames at 1280 X 720) and I could see what it was rendering each frame. Your programing skills are awesome. ;)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 2014

Fantastic work joeping! It's not taking you very long to get up to speed with this plugin.

SphericLabs - awesome plugin so far! I am getting random failures of the IPR updating when I make changes (it will restart the render, but no changes are reflected). Updating fails quite often when deleting items in the scene, and sometimes when editing materials in the Material Room. Not a huge issue as stopping the render then starting it again forces a complete update which shows the changes, but I thought you might like to know. One thing that would be extremely handy, if possible, would be the ability to pan around in the image when rendering in the render room. On large renders right now you just have to hope you have enough samples since you can't see the full image.

IMHO, the IPR (and LuxCore) is a huge improvement for workflow in Caarrara. It's not as fast (rendering) as Octane on my system, but it provides many of the same advantages, is sooooo much faster than LuxRender 1.4. The materials support for GPU rendering is fantastic as well (especially compared to SLG). I'm sure I'll be purchasing the plugin when it comes out.

Attached it my first real render with LuxusCore. It still needs a lot of work to fine tune it, but I don't think it's too bad for a first try for someone who hasn't used Luxus much (i.e. I really don't fully understand the materials yet). It is lit with just the LuxCore Infinite Light (HDRI). Rendered to 1000 s/px and took a little over 1hr 40min at 0.35M samples/second, 1440x1600.

Edit: Be sure to click on the image and view at full resolution to see the great details.

Bridged_Test.jpg
    1440 x 1600 - 429K
    Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

dustrider that is a great render