Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

joeping, wow.
    dustrider, wow.

Great news.

Next things that need to be worked on
    - IPR and deleting anything
    - IPR and adding an object, alhough adding lights work.
    - IPR and any sort of mesh changes, although I don't know if this will be supported.
    - Pan in the image in the render room
    - configuration settings
    - auto configuration to use just the GPU to avoid crashing.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716
    edited December 2014

joeping, wow.
    dustrider, wow.

Great news.

- IPR and any sort of mesh changes, although I don't know if this will be supported.
    - configuration settings

Thanks for the compliment, and for the great news!

Interesting note: I tried rendering the scene I used for the image I posted above (previous page) using PATHCPU (CPU only), and the render speed was actually faster than with GPU only (0.57M samples per second VS 0.35). It seemed to clear up at the same rate, and 1000 samples only took 68 min. VS 1hr 48min with GPU only. I guess maybe more complex scenes take a bigger hit with GPU only (being an Nvidia/Fermi card may also have something to do with it). I'm still really happy with the speed for GPU or CPU. Either one is a huge improvement over LuxRender 1.4!

Post edited by DustRider on
    edited December 1969

joeping said:
    dustrider that is a great render

Thanks!
    edited December 2014

Something must not be quite right. The GPU should slay the CPU.

I am thinking you may be right about the complexity. When you get a chance, can you compare PATHCPU and PATHOCL on a simple scene(no textures low geometry) and compare again on a medium scene(no textures lots of geometry)?

Post edited by SphericLabs on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

joeping, dustrider and above all sphericlabs. really great work here; I almost can see a new dawn for carrara, when I find time enough I will get into this myself

edited December 1969

Something must not be quite right. The GPU should slay the CPU.

I am thinking you may be right about the complexity. When you get a chance, can you compare PATHCPU and PATHOCL on a simple scene(no textures low geometry) and compare again on a medium scene(no textures lots of geometry)?

I did a quick test with a sphere, a ball, a plane, and default Carrara light. Only color, with out any other channels active. Here are the render speeds I got: CPU - 1.08M s/s, GPU - 1.76M s/s
    Then I added the Stanford Dragon to the scene, with only color. It looks like the added complexity definitly has a greater impact on the GPU than the CPU. The speeds I got with this set up were: CPU - 0.98M s/s, GPU - 1.16M s/s

I ran Open Hardware Monitor to make sure I was using the right GPU, and I'm definitely using the Nvidia card (pegged at 98%).

For general comparison with the Stanford Dragon Scene:
    Octane Render (2.x) - 4.38M s/s (I'm guessing it probably is inefficiency of the Fermi based card with OCL)
    LuxRender 1.4 (CPU) - 370k s/s (or 0.37M)

• JoepingletonJoepingleton Posts: 746
    edited December 2014

joeping, wow.
    dustrider, wow.

Great news.

- configuration settings

Thanks for the kind words. The new features sound great.

I let LuxusCore Carrara run overnight and updated my animation test with a 90 sec render per frame. 12 hours of render (380 frames at 1280 X 720) and I could see what it was rendering each frame. I thought it might crash under such a workload and again SphericLabs program was more than capable to the task.

See the animated version on YouTube at http://youtu.be/ehnHjI0iIgk

Post edited by Joepingleton on
  • evilkooladeevilkoolade Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

i don't know whats going on but i got a few renders on my laptop but my desktop computer that i built specifically for rendering wont start in render room i start the render and nothing happens but dark grey. rendering never starts and i have to ctrl alt delete out of carrara.

Screenshot_2014-12-21_19.02_.42_.png
    1680 x 1050 - 210K
    edited December 1969

adding " renderengine.type = PATHCPU" might help

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

So, I don't need an Nvidia card like I do for Octane? Am I right that my Radeon hd 7570 video card will work with Luxcore?.

edited December 1969

joeping said:

Thanks i did manage to get it working but i will try that later after my current animated render

lgc000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    So, I don't need an Nvidia card like I do for Octane? Am I right that my Radeon hd 7570 video card will work with Luxcore?.

Correct, LuxCore will work with either ATI or Nvidia cards.
    edited December 1969

joeping said:

Thanks i did manage to get it working but i will try that later after my current animated render
    Great render!

edited December 1969

Dustrider,
    Right now I don't have Luxus for Carrara, can I test this LuxCore without having bought Luxus for Carrara. It looks like I just download the latest build of LuxCore and LuxRender for Carrara, is this correct.
    Thanks for your reply.

dustrider said:
    mmoir said:

Correct, LuxCore will work with either ATI or Nvidia cards.
    edited December 1969

mmoir said:
    Dustrider,
    Right now I don't have Luxus for Carrara, can I test this LuxCore without having bought Luxus for Carrara. It looks like I just download the latest build of LuxCore and LuxRender for Carrara, is this correct.
    Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I think all you need is to download the latest build of LuxusCore from this thread, and it installs everything you need. I have an installation of 8.1 without Luxus for Carrara installed in it, and LuxusCore works fine. There isn't any setup required to point Carrara/LuxusCore to your LuxRender installation directory like with Luxus, so I'm pretty sure you don't need to download/install LuxRender.

edited December 2014

I just downloaded the latest build from Spherical labs in the first post and it seems to work..
    Thanks

Post edited by mmoir on
  • ProPoseProPose Posts: 527
    edited December 1969

i don't know whats going on but i got a few renders on my laptop but my desktop computer that i built specifically for rendering wont start in render room i start the render and nothing happens but dark grey. rendering never starts and i have to ctrl alt delete out of carrara.

Same thing happened to my rig. I updated my graphics card drivers and all is well

edited December 2014

See the animation on YouTube at http://youtu.be/DsSZatWBOVE

This is another quick test of LuxusCore Carrara's animation rendering capabilities. It is rendered at 30 sec per frame at 1280 X 720.

luxcoreAnim03.jpg
    640 x 360 - 54K
    Post edited by Joepingleton on
    edited December 1969

thanks dustrider

edited December 1969

Ok i dont have a render to post just now I'm at work but i found out earlier that sequenced objs tender just fine in luxcore ill post a render when i get home.

edited December 2014

Ok i dont have a render to post just now I'm at work but i found out earlier that sequenced objs tender just fine in luxcore ill post a render when i get home.

ok heres a rendered frame the green stuff from a blender fluid sim i ran quite some time ago

sequenced_obj.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 337K
    Post edited by evilkoolade on
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:

Same thing happened to my rig. I updated my graphics card drivers and all is well

good to know

edited December 2014

OK i gotta say that every time i render an animation with carrara's own photo realistic render-er it crashes at some point and restarts my computer. I have not had near as much problems with luxcore AND the renders look better my nybras animation is being rendered at 1080p 30fps its already been rendered one at 24fps it took 12 hours but i messed it up it had nothing to do with luxcore and i'm starting over. sphericlabs you have out done yourself on this one i love the fact that the info panel works and end time is pretty accurate i will post this video when its done some time tomarrow it actually has over 24 hours.

lgc000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by evilkoolade on
    edited December 1969

Thank for the kids words, the feedback, and trying this thing out.

Good stuff.

edited December 2014

Another new build. Same link.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/preview/win64/LuxusCore.zip

If you are rendering a movie., LuxusCore will default to SOBOL sampler and a halttime of 30 seconds

The bug where you get a blank image if you specify a halt time too low is also fixed.

Also, this build will autodetect your gpu's and chooses the ones with the highest memory(usually what is wanted). Hopefully this will exclude GPU's that would cause it to not work.

Please give it a try. Those of you who have to use opencl.devices.select or PATHCPU to get it to work, please try to see if LuxusCore can figure it out.

Post edited by SphericLabs on
    edited December 1969

can someone give me an emission shader that works so i can see what i'm doing wrong?

edited December 1969

Should be as simple as turning up the power on the emissive channel, but here is a matte material that is emissive.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/preview/Emissive.zip

Its not very powerful, so if you have a sun in the scene, you might not be able to even see it emit light.

edited December 1969

Should be as simple as turning up the power on the emissive channel, but here is a matte material that is emissive.
    -> http://sphericlabs.com/preview/Emissive.zip

Its not very powerful, so if you have a sun in the scene, you might not be able to even see it emit light.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

OK its finally done here is the final rendered video of Nybras talking in a scene it took 25 hours to render at 1080p 30 frames per second

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6uVng-tMOs&feature=youtu.be

• stu sutcliffestu sutcliffe Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

Bare in mind...I not sure I know what I am talking about......

3DCoat has just introduced Physical Based Rendering ( PBR) It is actually amazing!) I think it exports a map Called "Metalness"
    Would this work for Lux?

And does Lux render Carrara hair? I seem to remember it does not . But a way round was to render a normal Carrara render then comp it together using some sort of magic.... But also was the Lux frame slightly off kilter so that made it awkward to comp?

I am going to try and fake the 3dCoat "metalness" by using Carrara metal and mixing it with a mask thats made from a layer in 3dCoat.( I have a metal layer coverd by a worn paint layer)

ok my head is hurting now...