LuxusCore Carrara

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

I spent a little time just before bed time playing with this and find that I really like the LuxCore Material > Glossy2 shader. It gives us so many cool channelsto play with - especially Diffuse, Specular, Bump, Normal, and Emission. I''ve also played with the U and V Roughness with a "Gloss" map.

So in this test I can see that I've set the emission strength too high on some things, like the screens, and too low on other things, like the lights. There are no lights in this scene. The first one shows the results after five minutes, three seconds. The second one Twenty-five minutes and six seconds.

With three pieces of elaborate content in the scene - all using these same seven shaders, it was taking Core a while to get cooking. And then it was still working hard. So I can see that I need some practice building shaders, because I know this thing will be able to knock out this scene pretty quickly once I get it right.

The important thing about this test (to me) is that I'm seeing how fun and easy it can be to create shaders. 

Chickenman, seeing your shader setup is giving me plenty of inspiration. Say, do you know the difference between putting stuff in the Carrara source against putting stuff in the LuxCore source? I've just been putting my stuff in the top "Carrara" source. I think I need to switch what I'm doing there - perhaps tomorrow I'll find more time to work with this, This is making for a fun test scene :)

MarcoorCorridors_LC_0503.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    MarcoorCorridors_LC_2506.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited November 2016

Elapsed Time = 00:05:03

Elapsed time = 00:25:06 (went and had coffe with my Rosie heart )

Scene =

Marcoor Corridor x 2 and Marcoor Corridor 2

0 x Lights

Using the "Mask" maps (meant to be used as a glow or emission map) as the Emission Controller Shader

EDIT: adding one with the shaders switched from "Carrara" source to "LuxCore" source

MarcoorCorridors_LC_FixA_5051.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

I still haven't changed the strength of the Emission channel - I just grabbed the whole shader setup from Carrrara source and dragged it down to the LuxCore source, told it to render and crashed for a little less than an hour, and here's the result. Much better but still needs to be fixed

Elapsed Time - 00:50:51

• After some testing done same problems remain:

1. Editing Carrara's camera DOF setting, makes everything go crazy, no other option then close the app (while IPR is running), well, mayby I did not wait long enough.

2. DOF distance from Carrara's camera still does not correspond with focal distance in LuxCore render setting (Carrara is measuring distance to be 48 inches and LuxCore is 1.2, whatever that means), not saying it should, but it would be nice. Also LuxCore setting looses decimal points, if it was on 1.2, next time I load the scene it shows it to be 1 ...

3. Textures still cannot be saved and used internally.

4. Lens radius is still way too sensitive.

5. Trying to use any of the LuxCore textures chrashes Carrara (I tried Fbm and Dots).

Hopefuly it is something he is aware of and he is working on  smiley

2. DOF distance from Carrara's camera still does not correspond with focal distance in LuxCore render setting (Carrara is measuring distance to be 48 inches and LuxCore is 1.2, whatever that means), not saying it should, but it would be nice. Also LuxCore setting looses decimal points, if it was on 1.2, next time I load the scene it shows it to be 1 ...

48" = 1.21 meters

• how easy is it to set up a render farm. I have over 20 cores when I render in carrara but I am not sure how to set up luxus to use one. I do mostly stills with a few animation thrown in.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

If you are Using Luxus you need to ensure you use Lux render to set up your render network.

See this link for the set up of Lux Render.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/Network_rendering

I'm Not sure if LuxCore will use Network rendering yet.

• I have the orginal luxus for Carrara so maybe it will work with a network rendering

The above was for luxus not lux core.

• I wish the IPR wasn't locked inside my carrara window it would be nice to put it on my 2nd monitor and leave it there.

• AeonicBAeonicB Posts: 165
    edited December 2016

I can't get LuxCore's IPR window to pop up, nor get it to render to Luxcore.  Any suggestions?

To be more specific: I'm running Windows 10 with the Redstone update, an AMD Phenom 1055T CPU, with an ATI r7 270 based card.  Windows event logs show nothing is erroring on the Windows side of things, and Dependency Walker shows I have all the files.  I am using the latest plugin version (dated 10/27/16.)

EDIT: So I reinstalled the graphics drivers, and after I rebooted and rebooted Carrara, then chose LuxCore IPR, it froze and attempted to boot it for a second, before doing nothing again.  I can still get to settings, so that tells me the plugins functioning and correctly installed, just it's not initializing the renderer at all, I think.

Trying to tell it to use CPU only and selecting my CPU didn't work, either.

Also, LuxRender still seems to work just fine.  Just wish LuxCore did. XD

Post edited by AeonicB on
  • cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

... just giving this thread a bump

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Is it it's birthday...?

Apparently bump has more than one meaningsmiley

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,024
    Ariaso said:

I can't get LuxCore's IPR window to pop up, nor get it to render to Luxcore.  Any suggestions?

To be more specific: I'm running Windows 10 with the Redstone update, an AMD Phenom 1055T CPU, with an ATI r7 270 based card.  Windows event logs show nothing is erroring on the Windows side of things, and Dependency Walker shows I have all the files.  I am using the latest plugin version (dated 10/27/16.)

EDIT: So I reinstalled the graphics drivers, and after I rebooted and rebooted Carrara, then chose LuxCore IPR, it froze and attempted to boot it for a second, before doing nothing again.  I can still get to settings, so that tells me the plugins functioning and correctly installed, just it's not initializing the renderer at all, I think.

Trying to tell it to use CPU only and selecting my CPU didn't work, either.

Also, LuxRender still seems to work just fine.  Just wish LuxCore did. XD

After updating the AMD drivers, try the Luxmark benchmark to confirm that you can run all 3 tests:
    http://www.luxmark.info/

Luxuscore in Carrara seems to work in CPU mode for most, the GPU rendering is not stable since Luxcore itself still is in development.

Here is the simple test scene to use for testing and some other tips:
    http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Please note the Daz forum TOS,  Specifically this bullet point

• Threads that are deemed to be “Bumped” for the specific purpose of artificially keeping the thread on the first page of the forum will be locked.

In this case, the bump kicked by lazy ass to update the unofficial manual with an updated link to the latest build and the FAQ with the DLL file check.
    All good, no thread locking please, don't what to update the forum link in the manual...

http://carraracafe.com/plugins/luxuscore-for-carrara-plugin-unofficial-manual-2015-02-15/

edited January 2017
    Chohole said:

Please note the Daz forum TOS,  Specifically this bullet point

• Threads that are deemed to be “Bumped” for the specific purpose of artificially keeping the thread on the first page of the forum will be locked.

Well, my intent was to bring this thread up since there has not been anything new recently and I had go back through a lot of threads to find it. My apologies to others if you have to lock it.

OK, I just made a bookmark to this thread in my own browser, funny I thought I tried that before and it didn't work for some reason.

Post edited by cdordoni on
    3drendero said:

In this case, the bump kicked by lazy ass to update the unofficial manual with an updated link to the latest build and the FAQ with the DLL file check.
    All good, no thread locking please, don't what to update the forum link in the manual...

Thanks!

The Luxrender forum has a page about what is being worked on for Luxrender 1.7 and LuxCore, that Luxuscore is based on. No release timing though.

All info here: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_in_1-7

LuxCore specifics that are relevant for Carrara:

• RTPATHCPU: new CPU rendering engine with fast scene editing support
    • Micro-Kernel support for BIASPATHOCL:
    • Direct light sampling can now be disabled for meshlights, leading to better performance in scenes with highpoly meshlights
    • Environment camera: Rendering with an environment (panoramic) camera is now also supported by LuxCore

There are other features listed for LuxBlend (the LuxCore exporter to Blender) but I am too dumb to understand if they are intresting for other exporters...

Render is from the upcoming panoramic camera.

Hotel_Lobby_panorama_luxcore.jpg
    500 x 250 - 35K

3drendero said:

... link to the latest build and the FAQ with the DLL file check

I downloaded it again, and I am getting the version from October '16 ... Is that the latest version?

cdordoni said:

3drendero said:

... link to the latest build and the FAQ with the DLL file check

I downloaded it again, and I am getting the version from October '16 ... Is that the latest version?

Yeah, and it's not time-limited anymore.

I hope spheric isn't giving up on this. I bet he's either busy with RL and/or waiting for Luxrender 2.0 to get further along(?)

edited January 2017

Small updates today of the FAQ about trying to find any problems and a new Camera chapter that will need to be filled with more info later.
    Focal distance was mentioned and should be added.

Any questions or tips, do not hesitate to ask or write.

Post edited by 3drendero on
    3drendero said:

Small updates today of the FAQ about trying to find any problems and a new Camera chapter that will need to be filled with more info later.
    Focal distance was mentioned and should be added.

Any questions or tips, do not hesitate to ask or write.

Thanks 3drendero. You fricken' ROCK!!!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

As you can see, infinite planes are not infinite using this engine - nor does it pick up on whatever it is that the Plant Modeler does to create all of its branches and leaves. (Can't see that here - but I've just tested it)

Also, I've noticed that if we add things or translate things around the scene, while it will show that it's rendering over again (updating, if you will) it still won't reflect the changes until we Stop, and Render again - which is still not a big deal at all!!!

This thing is pretty cool - and I must say - Really darned fast, even with my ATI card. Still not impressed with ATI cards. This one was supposed to compete nicely against GTX 9 somethings... although I've never tried one of those yet, I'm already fairly sure that the nVidia models blow this away - but that's neither here nor there, since I don't really need a zippy G-Card anyways... not for what I do ;)

Dart, where did you get all those things (IPR, glass and etc.)? I downloaded test scene and all that I got is...

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.50.17 AM.png
    983 x 781 - 188K
    Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.52.03 AM.png
    642 x 479 - 196K
    Vyusur said:

As you can see, infinite planes are not infinite using this engine - nor does it pick up on whatever it is that the Plant Modeler does to create all of its branches and leaves. (Can't see that here - but I've just tested it)

Also, I've noticed that if we add things or translate things around the scene, while it will show that it's rendering over again (updating, if you will) it still won't reflect the changes until we Stop, and Render again - which is still not a big deal at all!!!

This thing is pretty cool - and I must say - Really darned fast, even with my ATI card. Still not impressed with ATI cards. This one was supposed to compete nicely against GTX 9 somethings... although I've never tried one of those yet, I'm already fairly sure that the nVidia models blow this away - but that's neither here nor there, since I don't really need a zippy G-Card anyways... not for what I do ;)

Dart, where did you get all those things (IPR, glass and etc.)? I downloaded test scene and all that I got is...

They are part of the test scene.

The link to the Carrara Cafe article does help with knowing what to do and how things interact.

• 3drendero said:

The Luxrender forum has a page about what is being worked on for Luxrender 1.7 and LuxCore, that Luxuscore is based on. No release timing though.

All info here: http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/New_in_1-7

LuxCore specifics that are relevant for Carrara:

• RTPATHCPU: new CPU rendering engine with fast scene editing support
    • Micro-Kernel support for BIASPATHOCL:
    • Direct light sampling can now be disabled for meshlights, leading to better performance in scenes with highpoly meshlights
    • Environment camera: Rendering with an environment (panoramic) camera is now also supported by LuxCore

There are other features listed for LuxBlend (the LuxCore exporter to Blender) but I am too dumb to understand if they are intresting for other exporters...

Render is from the upcoming panoramic camera.

Environment camera is the real killer. with that, it would possible to create HDR files to use with luxcore or native renderer and to render incrementally (background and then foreground) while keepeng the light right. I hope we'll soon have this new version.

Vyusur said:

They are part of the test scene.

The link to the Carrara Cafe article does help with knowing what to do and how things interact.

I've seen this page of Carrara Cafe million of times and found nearly to nothing helpful. IMO, Lux renderer is the most slow, inflexible and frustrating among all renderers that I have ever tried.

edited January 2017

Dust and snowflakes on the entire surface...

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 12.06.47 PM.jpg
    990 x 1045 - 2M
    Post edited by Vyusur on