Captain Science
    Fantastic Adventures
    Fantastic Worlds
    Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds
    Out of this World (page 2)
    Outer Space (page 2)
    Planet Comics (page 2)
    Space Adventures (page 2)

Depending on your taste some of the others are also worth a giggle.
    If you like 1930's pulp Sci-Fi there are also a number of pulpies in there as well.

Regards, Bunyip

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    I have posted this site before, but for those that missed it:-

http://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=sciencefiction

Regards, Bunyip

Thanks, Bunyip. That will be a great reference resource for me. I had no idea that Buster Crabbe (actor who played Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers in old serials) had a comic book dedicated to his own (fictional, I presume) adventures. And thanks for your other suggestions - very helpful.

Yo Stezza, great job! Can I borrow your Herculoids? Just kidding. I will enjoy rigging Gloop and Gleep if they get a party invitation.

edited January 2015

More character creation. Two shots. One shows the mesh envelope that I made for base genesis. I use it to quickly start clothing meshes. Next to it is the suit that I derived from it for the sidekicks and the animal. I used the Daz transfer utility to fit the boots, suit, gloves, and mask to genesis. I then morphed genesis to have a male, a female, and a little monkey. I then made some minor details (like the badges). The sidekicks' hair props are from Poser 4, stripped of the textures.

Filter is still the Carrara toon filter with default settings. The other screenshot shows the toon filter result.

progress_report.jpg
    1140 x 855 - 81K
    mesh_envelope.JPG
    1204 x 685 - 104K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited January 2015

Stezza - nice Herculoids!
    Bunyip02 - cool site - thanks for sharing the link.
    diomede64 - I am loving your Spaceghost costumes and renders - they look pretty great for just the default settings on the toon filter.

I made a few more additions to my scene. I modeled some analog controls for the center control panel and adjusted the lighting some. The lighting is getting closer to how I imagined it, but still not quite right.

Attached images:
    Analog Controls
    Scene Setup (this is more or less final, I think)
    Test render with current lights

Mark

WIP13_TestRender.jpg
    1400 x 844 - 99K
    WIP12_SceneSetup.jpg
    1872 x 942 - 175K
    WIP11_AnalogControls.jpg
    1873 x 941 - 309K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    Stezza - nice Herculoids!
    Bunyip02 - cool site - thanks for sharing the link.
    diomede64 - I am loving your Spaceghost costumes and renders - they look pretty great for just the default settings on the toon filter.

I made a few more additions to my scene. I modeled some analog controls for the center control panel and adjusted the lighting some. The lighting is getting closer to how I imagined it, but still not quite right.

Attached images:
    Analog Controls
    Scene Setup (this is more or less final, I think)
    Test render with current lights

Mark

Looks great so far. I do think you need a rim light on the back of your astronaut to help set it apart from the background. You could justify the light by using a light to simulate light cast by the jet pack's flame. There would be other sources of light possible of course, such as reflected light from another asteroid off camera, or some other source.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

I do think you need a rim light on the back of your astronaut to help set it apart from the background. You could justify the light by using a light to simulate light cast by the jet pack's flame. There would be other sources of light possible of course, such as reflected light from another asteroid off camera, or some other source.

Thanks evilproducer - that's a good idea. I was so focused on the inside that I didn't even notice how the character was blending in. Idded a light just behind the character to light up that side a little bit. Hopefully the attached image is a little better. The inside is much darker because I am still playing with that lighting.

Thought I'd post images of two of my shaders that I am pretty happy with. I'm getting better at making things with just Carrara's native procedurals.

The first is the radar screen, which is basically a glass texture with a wood pattern used for the round lines added to a tile pattern for the cross lines in the glow channel. The second one I used a layers list with a metal blended with a caution pattern. The caution pattern mixes yellow and the same metal material. The two are blended by using a brick pattern to keep it to the top and bottom. A noise pattern is subtracted from that with a curve filter to make some sharp transitions so the paint looks like it is worn and flaked off.

I didn't get the curve filter at all for a long time, but I think I'm starting to kind of understand it. :)

Mark

WIP15_FadedCautionShader.jpg
    1416 x 801 - 122K
    WIP16_RadarScreenShader.jpg
    1391 x 841 - 128K
    WIP14_RimLight.jpg
    1500 x 905 - 87K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Very nicely done. Great use of procedural functions.

edited January 2015

Great job, Mark! I love the sticky notes and other little details.

I've developed a couple of other essential characters for my 2515 party.

I made the maid robot entirely with spline objects and rigged it using motion constraints and adjusting hot points.

I made the hair prop for the G2 Female with the vertex modeler. I also made the top and skirt in the vertex modeler and used Studio's transfer utility to make them conforming. The pants are the capris pants for Aiko3 by Spiritfoxy. I used Studio's "fit to" to convert the pants from A3 to genesis, then repeated to convert from genesis to G2F. I think it worked well. I did the same thing for the shoes, which were originally made for Vicky3. Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the vendor and I'm having trouble searching the store for old content. I think the vendor was Idler168, but if anyone recognizes them and can confirm it (or identify actual creator), I would be grateful.

EDIT: still just character creation and the default toon filter.

more_characters.jpg
    640 x 480 - 19K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

are our entries allowed to be animated gifs?

that feature in ca is giving me delusions of grandeur :lol:

edited December 1969

Misty Whisky - the winner of the previous challenge makes the decisions for the rules for the next challenge. Varsel has the ultimate power to decide if animated GIFs are permitted. Without looking back at this month's rules posting or waiting for Varsel, I can only say that there was a lot of discussion during the first few challenges on whether it should be limited to stills or should be open to animations. Since then, the challenges have only permitted stills. Again, must defer to Varsel, but I didn't want you to think we were ignoring your question.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Soory folks. I am a terrible host....
    My only excuse has to be that real life interferes with the fun parts.

I love what I see so far. There are some really good things that are coming.

About animated GIFs.
    I think I will go with what has been previously decided in the earlier challenges, that only pictures are allowed.

edited December 1969

thanks. :)

sigh

edited January 2015

Varsel said:
    Soory folks. I am a terrible host....
    My only excuse has to be that real life interferes with the fun parts.

Not at all. You picked a fantastic theme. And, you've answered rules-related stuff. Pretty much all the requirements of a great challenge coordinator.

I think there are a bunch of people spending more time at the gym, and with their family, and preparing fresh vegetables instead of microwaving frozen dinners, and writing that novel they have in their mind, and... instead of working on their WIPs. Call it the New Year's resolution effect. I think the same thing happened last January. They'll be back in time for the entry thread.

All the same, maybe we should prod a few of the stalwarts. Could we entice Wendy to submit another entry? Remember this one?
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28208/#422182

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to my WIPs.

Here is another character. Just as I have added a couple of years to his older sister, this young lad is also a few years older than in the classic. I used unclefugly's skateboard shirt and the david3 dungarees, each of which I converted for use with genesis using Studio's fit to, then saving as a wearable preset. The antenna on top of the baseball hat is a vertex model. The skateboard shirt poked through the overalls, so I merely went into the model level in Carrara and shrank the bottom half of the shirt. I got a topology error, which I ignored to no seeming consequence.

As some of you know, I usually make up my own personal goals in addition to the challenge requirements. This month, for my second entry, my personal goals have been focused on demonstrating that Carrara 8.5 supports genesis, genesis 2, and that those figures can easily use stuff that I acquired for older figures from a variety of content creators.

Toward that end, my personal goals are to

(1) - use Genesis and Genesis2 figures instead of generation 3 and 4 figures
    (2) - use legacy clothing content for each of David3, Freak3, Michael3, Michael4, Stephanie3, Aiko3, Vicky3, Vicky4 with (1)
    (3) - use each of Carrara's major modelers (vertex, spline, metaball, and formula) to make some of the figures and props, although I might use the formula function for a shader instead of a prop.
    (4) - use content acquired from Daz, Renderosity, PoserSmithMicro, and RDNA.

Toward that end, so far I have

- Genesis with David 5 morph for Spaceghost sidekick Jace
    - Genesis with Gorilla head morph for Spaceghost sidekick monkey
    - G2M with mix Michael6 and Freak 5 morphs for Spaceghost
    - 3 G2Fs using mixes of V6, Gia, Aiko6, the Girl4, African Face for Valerie, Josie, and Melody of the Pusscats
    - Genesis supersuit boots applied to G2M Spaceghost
    - FriskySwim for V4 by 3DAge (renderosity) applied to G2F pussycats
    - Trixy hair goldtassel, shaders removed, parented to G2F Valerie pussycat
    - Sassy hair 2.0 by Daz for V3, shaders removed, parented to G2F Josie pussycat
    - Egypt prop hair by 3Dream, shaders removed parented to G2F Melody pussycat
    - Cheetah shader from Carrara "Misc" browser (adjusted) applied to Pussycats friskyswim cloth.
    - Giselle Ballerina Shoes by Diane(shaders customized) applied to G2F Pussycats
    - Poser 4 Male hair and female hair 5, textures removed, applied to GenesisJan and Jace
    - Aiko3 Capris Pants by Spiritfoxy, applied to G2F Judy Jetson
    - Genesis YT Justin by Elliandra, Handspan Studios, Thorne applied to genesis Elroy Jetson
    - Genesis morphs for weight and stockiness applied to Elroy Jetson
    - Poser 2 Hair MaleHair2 retextued and applied to genesis Elroy Jetson
    - Poser 4 baseball hat morphed and retextured (and antenna added) applied to Elroy Jetson
    - David3 dungarees by Daz applied to Genesis Elroy Jetson
    - used the vertex modeler for a variety of clothing items and props
    - used the spline modeler to make the robot maid

ignore_topology_error.JPG
    1320 x 983 - 155K
    elroy_wip.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited December 1969

I have been trying to learn how to model using the vertex modeler in order to try to make a steampunk airship I may be able to post something this week depending on how it goes.

Good Luck and have fun with your entries everyone.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

Okay, it's a late start and I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this (it may still be something along the theme of Silent Running).

Take one geodesic dome...

Screen_Shot_2015-01-20_at_21.51_.21_.png
    1162 x 743 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Great dome. How did you do it? Vertex model starting from a sphere? Triangulate? Or another method?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Great dome. How did you do it? Vertex model starting from a sphere? Triangulate? Or another method?

Could be a tiling shader like one from Inagoni - Velouté 2

I know this can be done in Hexagon, just copy the edges only and paste. Never tried it in Carrara.

image from Hexagon.

wire_frame_geodesic.jpg
    800 x 302 - 48K
    edited January 2015

diomede64 said:

I started with a polyhedron, 210 sides, then delete half to give a 105-side geodesic (it's not an exact slice so you need to square off some of the vertices, & the best axis to cut along is vertical, so you'll need to rotate after).

Then select all and extrude numerically to indent the faces. Add a shading domain for the faces, set it to glass, et voila!

I found a very comprehensive site for geodesics here: https://simplydifferently.org/Geodesic_Dome

Here's a step-by step for a bigger version (start with an 800 side polyhedron)

Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_09.47_.51_.png
    1566 x 803 - 506K
    Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_09.43_.48_.png
    1564 x 800 - 141K
    Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_09.42_.35_.png
    1565 x 798 - 193K
    Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_09.41_.21_.png
    1566 x 803 - 196K
    Screen_Shot_2015-01-21_at_09.37_.48_.png
    1566 x 803 - 198K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on
    edited December 1969

Very cool. There are usually so many different ways to do the same thing in Carrara. I had need of a dome in a prior challenge, but was still hung up on the triangles vs quads thing. I inserted a sphere vertex model (which comes in quads), used the "select by lines" option in the property tray to select the lines but not the faces, then used extract around tool to create the frame. I then deleted the bottom half. I then create separate shading domains for the faces and the frame. But of course mine was a quad dome, instead of triangles. I like yours a lot better, and now see that I could have used my method on polyhedron instead of a sphere to get triangles. Always learning.

sphere_quads.JPG
    1172 x 712 - 81K
    edited December 1969

That quad dome has a bit of a Death Star Probe Droid feel about it... ;)

edited December 1969

had an inspiration :)

feb 15th day after valentine's, 2515 style!

a Wormhole Tunnel of Luv.

edited December 1969

just finished watching the pencil making tutorial. wormhole might look a bit pencilish :)

edited December 1969

just finished watching the pencil making tutorial. wormhole might look a bit pencilish :)

That is a good Tut.
    I have watched it a few times as well.

I to myself am trying to make the Steampunk airship still having problems figuring out how I am going to do it but seeing the Licorne ship in anouther thried I may have an Idea that is easier to impliment in the time frame. If I have enough time I will try to go with the original idea aswell for the second entry.

edited December 1969

That is a good Tut.

I to myself am trying to make the Steampunk airship still having problems figuring out how I am going to do it but seeing the Licorne ship in anouther thried I may have an Idea that is easier to impliment in the time frame. If I have enough time I will try to go with the original idea aswell for the second entry.

2 entries?

do we make a unique model for each entry?

edited December 1969

That is a good Tut.

2 entries?

do we make a unique model for each entry?

From the Rules on page one

- Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge (but only 1 images per artist will be eligible to win a prize, if 2 images from same artist get prize-winning number of votes, the image with most votes will win the prize it’s eligible for, and the second prize will go to another artist’s runner up image). Votes will be counter per-image.

Each image must meet the challenge criteria.

So my take on this is that you could create your two items, put them in two different pictures and play with the Shaders to meet the criteria.

edited December 1969

just finished reading about polylines. sounds like it's the way to go for a wyrmhole.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,348
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone,

Just back from some real world stuff, still got more to do there as well.
    Will not be able to enter this challenge as much as I wish I could, but will drop in to see how things are working out.

Keep those excellent entries going !!!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,348
    edited December 1969

That is a good Tut.

Wish I had watched that tutorial before I started on my spaceship, would have saved me a lot of time !!!!!!

edited January 2015

Can't wait to see how everyone's projects are coming together.

Here are a couple more guests invited to the party. Believe it or not, Genesis had the head morph. Now to figure out if it came with the base genesis package or if I picked it up somewhere. The outfits were modeled in Carrara and made conforming using Studio's transfer utility.

tmnt_wip.jpg
    940 x 705 - 54K