Carrara Challenge 15 - February 15, 2515 - Work in progress - WIP tread

Comments

• DADA_universeDADA_universe Posts: 336
    edited December 1969

I've lost about 2 days to trying to get bot genesis to play well in Carrara. Made my warrior bot lady in Daz Studio but the mech joints fly away in Carrara. Searched the forums and re-installed bot genesis and genesis starter essentials to no avail (also reinstalled Carrara, found out I had build 204 while build 243 was the last build released for 8.5). I'm making one last try to manually move in the mech joints and see if it would play well when I pose the figure. Did some extra work playing with the genesis and bot genesis shaders to get the feel I wanted.

Screenshot_2015-02-08_13.48_.16_.png
    1366 x 768 - 289K
    Screenshot_2015-02-07_19.06_.21_.png
    1366 x 768 - 340K
    Screenshot_2015-02-07_11.33_.04_.png
    1366 x 768 - 293K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited December 1969

Oh no, so frustrating. I don't have bot genesis so can't troubleshoot for you. Have you tried building in Carrara directly? Sometimes that works for me. Alternatively, some people export the Studio file as an obj. Sorry.

I'm way behind, but I'll get something in the submission thread eventually. Here is a little update of my Noah's ark type concept. The station glass seems to unblur the Earth in the distance. Lots of things still to address. Ugh.

noah_wip.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 125K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Oh no, so frustrating. I don't have bot genesis so can't troubleshoot for you. Have you tried building in Carrara directly? Sometimes that works for me. Alternatively, some people export the Studio file as an obj. Sorry.

I'm way behind, but I'll get something in the submission thread eventually. Here is a little update of my Noah's ark type concept. The station glass seems to unblur the Earth in the distance. Lots of things still to address. Ugh.

I believe the non-raytraced DOF uses an internal depth pass, and if it has the same limitations as the depth pass we can render for postwork, then it will see objects as solid, regardless of transparency or alphas. I also fails to respect hair and other volume effects.

You could try raytraced DOF, but that takes forever. Your best bet, time-wise, may be to render a background with the planet, and then a foreground with the space station, and the foreground render with an alpha channel so that it can be composited above the background in an image editor.

What I might do, if I really wanted to use the DOF, would be to build my scene all together as you have done, make sure everything is as I want it, including lights and camera. Set my DOF based on the whole scene. The Save As, and name it something else. I would then use the newly saved scene for the foreground and delete the background assets and enable the Alpha channel option in the Render room. I would then save the scene, close it and reopen the original and use that as the background and hide or delete the foreground elements, and render the scene without alpha.

If it is done correctly, the camera's DOF should be set the same for both scenes, and the background would render with objects further away from the camera getting blurrier. The foreground render would be the same way, and the DOF should be then respected when the foreground is layered above the background when composited.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,348
    edited December 1969

I've lost about 2 days to trying to get bot genesis to play well in Carrara. Made my warrior bot lady in Daz Studio but the mech joints fly away in Carrara. Searched the forums and re-installed bot genesis and genesis starter essentials to no avail (also reinstalled Carrara, found out I had build 204 while build 243 was the last build released for 8.5). I'm making one last try to manually move in the mech joints and see if it would play well when I pose the figure. Did some extra work playing with the genesis and bot genesis shaders to get the feel I wanted.

Hello DADA

I did a very quick import of my Bot Genesis into Carrara, no problems yet (touch wood), I will do a few more trys to replicate what you are doing as much as I can.

I saved my Bot Genesis as a DAZ3D DUF file, then in Carrara dragged and dropped the Bot duf file into the Venice for Carrara scene.
    Shader was kaput so I replaced that with a Blue Chrome Metallic Shader, and eyes with a red metallic shader.
    Nothing done as regards reflections yet, just what is straight out of the box with the shader and Venice boxes.

(Would be nice if they all converted over easily !!!!!)

Will let you know how I progress.
    Let me know if you want me to try a particular method.

First pic is DAZ render, second is the Carrara test render to make sure joints were not popping apart (Cool party trick that one).

Regards, Bunyip

Bot_Genesis_in_Venice_for_Carrara_test_render.png
    1361 x 764 - 566K
    Bot_Genesis_V5_Model_Exo_x1250.png
    1250 x 1427 - 828K
    edited February 2015

Have saved the Bot Genesis all CR2 file as a DUF.
    Will try loading both the CR2 and the DUF files into the scene and see if they have the same issue.
    Then I'll try everything combined with a couple of extras.

Might take a while, computer is very sloooowwwwww at the moment.
    Will update when I have enough info.

EDIT:-

Loading both the CR2 Bot Genesis all CR2 and it's saved DUF file onto the Genesis figure in Carrara did not work for me.

I also saved the entire Genesis & Bot Genesis together in DAZ3D as a DUF character preset.
    When I tried to load into Carrara all I was getting was the torso section of the Bot Genesis "clothing" item.

Sorry but no joy so far.
    Time for some sleep for me, will try a few more options tomorrow.

Regards, Bunyip

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 1969

BOT GENESIS - TRIAL 2

Still going EEEEEKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refer notes on attached screenshots.

If it was me I would be saving it as an OBJ in DAZ3D then importing into Carrara.
    There are still a few other options to explore otherwise but that's it for me at the moment.
    Will get back to it if I have any flashes of inspiration.

DADA, sorry I could not be of more help, but at least you know that its a PITA problem in general !!!!!!!

Question if it's a PITA problem and it works well for the scene (which from the WIPs it certainly does), is it allowed to do a partial render in DAZ then add as postwork to the Carrara scene ?

Bot_Genesis_Trial_2_render.png
    1366 x 777 - 351K
    Bot_Genesis_Trial_2_load.png
    1359 x 767 - 353K
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Bot Genesis is a PITA. I have never been able to get it to work myself.
    If I had, I would have used it myself in my picture.

It would be possible to export it out as a .obj from Studio, and then import it into Carrara, with a lot of work... :sick:

Postwork is allowed.
    To render in Studio and postwork it into a Carrara picture is, I guess a borderline question, and perhaps admitting defeat on Carraras behalf, but I recognise and understand the problem, so I will allow it.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Here is my setup for my picture.
    The dome has been built in Hexagon. I did find that a little easier to do than in Carrara's modeller.
    The hoover chart and the plant tube is modelled in the Vertex modeller.
    The tree seedling is two Carrara plants, one for the tree, and one for the root. I converted them into vertex objects, and merged them together.

Underneath the hoover chart I used a Fog primitives, and set the color to a light blue.

The background is a realistic sky, with the sky color set to a reddish color. (afterall it is supposed to be on Mars)
    There are also two giant terrains. One for the foreground, and one for the mountains in the back.

The lights are the sun light and a modified light dome from TimPayne
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/30481/browse/5/3D-Model/Light-Dome-presets-for-Carrara-6
    I am also using a spot light, parented to the camera, just to highlight the characters a bit more.

setup2.jpg
    1000 x 812 - 296K
    setup.jpg
    1000 x 684 - 353K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

i missed the deadline

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Real Life has a sneaky ability to creep up on you and hit you hard over the head with a baseball bat.

So I made a decision to expand the timeframe with one week.

- Submissions Open: now....
    - Submissions Close: 23:59 MT February 15, 2015
    - This thread will be auto-magically converted to the voting thread simultaneous.
    - Voting Ends: 23:59 MT February 22, 2015

Da Boss of this challenge has extended the deadline - get those whips cracking now !!!!!!!!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    Varsel said:
    Real Life has a sneaky ability to creep up on you and hit you hard over the head with a baseball bat.

- This thread will be auto-magically converted to the voting thread simultaneous.

Da Boss of this challenge has extended the deadline - get those whips cracking now !!!!!!!!WIPs = Submissions, or what? Are the submissions going into this thread? Admittedly, I've only read the first post, and then skimmed this page to see if there were final image submissions... I've been so limited on time and over-worked lately... maybe I'm just tired. I was just wondering if there was still time to get in on this and got confused on the timing of everything.

edited December 1969

Bunyip02 said:
    BOT GENESIS - TRIAL 2

Still going EEEEEKKK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refer notes on attached screenshots.

If it was me I would be saving it as an OBJ in DAZ3D then importing into Carrara.
    There are still a few other options to explore otherwise but that's it for me at the moment.
    Will get back to it if I have any flashes of inspiration.

DADA, sorry I could not be of more help, but at least you know that its a PITA problem in general !!!!!!!

Question if it's a PITA problem and it works well for the scene (which from the WIPs it certainly does), is it allowed to do a partial render in DAZ then add as postwork to the Carrara scene ?

Sorry I took off for a while. Yes it's the same problem! Should have left a caveat saying "don't attempt to investigate this unless you have a LOT of time to burn!" so I feel guilty for making spend all that time, but thanks a lot for trying. Interestingly, Joeping seemed to have better luck here, he only had trouble with the shaders and that's easily fixed. Maybe he wasnt using Carrara 8.5? Maybe he can offer he thought if he comes across this. I actually took time off research the forum, found this thread where Parris- the PA who made bot genesis suggested reinstalling an updated version and doing the same thing with Genesis Starter essentials. I did all that, but it only worked for Daz Studio, not in Carrara. I'm leaving a comment on that thread to see if anyone can figure this out for Carrara, but for this contest, I moved on and took diomede64's advise to bring in the bot genesis as an obj, it worked out okay, will still want to solve the issue in Carrara though because the scene seems to be begging for animation and I would like to revisit it in the future.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Thanks, building in Carrara directly doesn't work, so I took you advise and brought in the studio file as obj. At least I got to move on.

edited December 1969

Varsel said:
    Bot Genesis is a PITA. I have never been able to get it to work myself.
    If I had, I would have used it myself in my picture.

It would be possible to export it out as a .obj from Studio, and then import it into Carrara, with a lot of work... :sick:

Postwork is allowed.
    To render in Studio and postwork it into a Carrara picture is, I guess a borderline question, and perhaps admitting defeat on Carraras behalf, but I recognise and understand the problem, so I will allow it.

Thanks for understanding! I've taken the Obj route and it worked out okay. Will now complete my WIP posts below.

edited December 1969

I brought in my avatar character and my little robot (modelled in Form Z) and positioned them, and added the offending bot genesis figure brought in as an obj file from Daz 3d. She's obviously launching an attack on him, he looks defenseless, almost uncaring compared to the robot who's alarmed, but he has something up his sleeves. I activated his defense shield by enveloping his head within a sphere, I applied an alpha to the sphere and gave it some colour and glow as well in the shader room, then decided that I didn't want it to be a smooth sphere, so I applied an explode modifier to it. I was tempted with the result but later decided that a ........ modifier looked better, more like an energy shield.

Have I mentioned how addicted I am to the emit effect for objects now. I've used it in three places, the text (news), the energy shield sphere and the staff being wielded by the bot genesis warrior. I tried to add some glow to the Dystopia city blocks' windows to simulate night lighting, but it wasn't working well for me, so I took it out. For the environment, I added a realistic sky with a night time setting, which I found just fine.

The floor was looking sparse, so I brought in the Junyard which I got free on the Daz Store. The Junkyard product is set up in a weird way, it's one vertex model but rigged so you can move the components but its all one mesh in the model room with one shader but different shading domains. It was a pain in the neck soft selecting vertices for objects in the model that I didn't need. That also took more time than I should have spent. I would have done better fixing the model in Form Z which I'm more comfortable with for modelling. I will spend some more time getting up to speed with modelling in Carrara, but I'm really more comfortable modelling in Form Z.

Junkyard debris scattered all over the ground, I then decided to have one teeny weeny plant , just to, well, have one teeny weeny plant in the scene. I popped up the plant editor and toggled some sliders till I had something slightly representative of what I intended. The default shader in the plant editor tends to be too bright for me, so I stopped by quickly in the shader room to set the colour for the leaves to a darker shade of green.

Screenshot_2015-02-11_11.06_.58_.png
    1366 x 768 - 301K
    Doc4.png
    640 x 360 - 273K
    Screenshot_2015-02-10_23.41_.55_.png
    1366 x 768 - 269K
    Doc3.png
    640 x 360 - 262K
    Doc1.png
    640 x 360 - 311K
    edited December 1969

Here's the final image. Rendered with AO applied and Gamma correction set to 1.6 (needed it for the sky to show at all) and with 75% DOF applied. No post work.

Worried that it might be a bit too cluttered but I kind of like it. I'm going to make the submission now because I don't trust myself not to come back to over complicate things and then miss the deadline.

Doc7.png
    1280 x 720 - 880K
    edited February 2015

Bunyip02 said:
    Varsel said:

Da Boss of this challenge has extended the deadline - get those whips cracking now !!!!!!!!

WIPs = Submissions, or what? Are the submissions going into this thread? Admittedly, I've only read the first post, and then skimmed this page to see if there were final image submissions... I've been so limited on time and over-worked lately... maybe I'm just tired. I was just wondering if there was still time to get in on this and got confused on the timing of everything.

really?!!!! dancing the happy tequila dance :lol: :lol:

was watching the complex lighting tutt last night, gave more ideas.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

At lunch today there was a mighty battle between my work-brain and my hobby-brain. The casualties are still being counted, but one thing is certain... now I have spreadsheets.

I'm sorry. ;)

Stats_02.JPG
    1282 x 731 - 195K
    Stats_01.JPG
    1343 x 642 - 246K
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    At lunch today there was a mighty battle between my work-brain and my hobby-brain. The casualties are still being counted, but one thing is certain... now I have spreadsheets.

I'm sorry. ;)

Wow! That is such a fantastic spreadsheet that I would like to copy it to the learning tips and tricks from Challenge WIPs at the top of the forum.

However,I do need to mention a needed correction. Regarding challenge #6, movie poster phobia - I don't think entry #1 is correctly recorded in the spreadsheet, which also affects the current active streak. :)

No 1.
    Entry Title: Psychotic Celery in Scotland
    Artist Name: Diomede64
    Summary Description: The phobia is fear of vegetables (and Scottish clowns), in the original list. With that in mind, this is a silly tribute to the king of vegetables, Art Frahm. I used the non-photorealistic renderer. As a hat tip to the heather of Scotland, I wanted some purple. The text modeler was used for the titles and credits.

Now, I admit that I should not really be rushing to claim this as my own, but it was advertised as purposefully silly.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:
    now I have spreadsheets.

You can get ointment for that.

;)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    MDO2010 said:

I'm sorry. ;)

Wow! That is such a fantastic spreadsheet that I would like to copy it to the learning tips and tricks from Challenge WIPs at the top of the forum.

However,I do need to mention a needed correction. Regarding challenge #6, movie poster phobia - I don't think entry #1 is correctly recorded in the spreadsheet, which also affects the current active streak. :)

No 1.
    Entry Title: Psychotic Celery in Scotland
    Artist Name: Diomede64
    Summary Description: The phobia is fear of vegetables (and Scottish clowns), in the original list. With that in mind, this is a silly tribute to the king of vegetables, Art Frahm. I used the non-photorealistic renderer. As a hat tip to the heather of Scotland, I wanted some purple. The text modeler was used for the titles and credits.

Now, I admit that I should not really be rushing to claim this as my own, but it was advertised as purposefully silly.

I will update my data set. :) I emailed myself these screenshots but left the actual spreadsheet on my work computer so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

now I have spreadsheets.

You can get ointment for that.
    ;)

So I hear, but I'd just get reinfected at work - they are all over the place there. :)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited December 1969

Those are really cool. I still feel a bit bad that I haven't had time to meaningfully participate in this challenge, but I'll get one in for the next one!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    edited December 1969

sorry been up the coast surfing ;)
    here's quick wip I wipped up

in the year 2515, though their brains have swollen to enormous proportions through eating genetically modified rice bubbles, all members of t he human species have become blind due to stretching of the optic nerve. Consequently humans live underground away from the giant wasps that roam the Earth. But in their haste to flee these wasps they have become slaves to the gigantic queen bee who rules the underground with wings of steel.....

in the attached: setup, render before post, render after some post

postwip1.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 473K
    postpurerender.jpg
    1451 x 2000 - 295K
    postsetup1.jpg
    1993 x 1388 - 421K
    edited February 2015

Unfortunately I had over 3 weeks of real-world down-time, so I decided it would be best this time to provide support and morale boost where I could. Would have loved to have had the time to sink my teeth into an entry.

Everyone who's entering get those entries done !!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

EDIT: Just as I hit the enter button, HeadWax fires in with a WIP, nice work dude, hope the surf was great as well !!!!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited December 1969

ha thanks, yes, it was a killer, but we are all on shark alert here, two killer whales in the water in front of my local today as well

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Welcome back:)

Didn't take a head-first dive into the sand again?

Looking at those renders got me wondering....:)

edited December 1969

Just thinking about the voting method in relation to the small number of entries so far. If there is only one or two more entries, then there is a strong probability that more than one entry will get unanimous support if the voting rule from the last challenge is used for this challenge. Might want to be thinking about tie breakers, or a different voting rule than the last challenge, or...

Headwax, looks great. Froze my face off on my way to the office today. Hope that helps you appreciate your trip to the beach even more. ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks Roygee et diomede64 ! Good luck with frozen face:)

edited February 2015

was thinking how kewl it would be to set the sun date to 2/15/2515, goes up to 2050. :lol:

ahh spreadsheets. i wouldn't have a dayjob without them.

selcal-check beeebooo

we under a winter storm watch. if i drop off, it's not cause i'm dissing, means power and/or wifi went down

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

how many hours are left?

>.<</p>