Show us more of your 3Delight renders

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Tks, yes it's a keeper:) I'm always on the lookout for "unisex" G3 outfits and hair. Seems to me the chest areas are often easier to fix on the male versions, less texture stretching etc...

• This is technically a poser only product ,  and I wanted to see how it would render in DazStudio.  I ended up rendering it in both 3Delight and Iray and then merged the two renders for the finished version. So mostly 3DL with a little bit of iray on the vehicles.  

FirstBastion said:

This is technically a poser only product ,  and I wanted to see how it would render in DazStudio.  I ended up rendering it in both 3Delight and Iray and then merged the two renders for the finished version. So mostly 3DL with a little bit of iray on the vehicles.  

Heh, that's interesting, looks cool! How did you match the lighting? 

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

FirstBastion said:

This is technically a poser only product ,  and I wanted to see how it would render in DazStudio.  I ended up rendering it in both 3Delight and Iray and then merged the two renders for the finished version. So mostly 3DL with a little bit of iray on the vehicles.  

Looks pretty solid to me. I like the shadow on the rightmost building. Are the shadows under the vehicles iRay or 3DL? 

• Sven Dullah said:

FirstBastion said:

Since the HDRI lighting is less flexible,  I rendered iray first,  then used distance lights in the same general directional angle  for the 3DL lighting. The 3DL also made use of the physical skydome in the background. UberEnv2 provided the ambient lighting.  

And to answer westerdan's question,  the shadows under the vehicles are raytraced shadows from the 3DL pass,  but the vehicles themselves are mostly the iray render and reflection. 

FirstBastion said:

Sven Dullah said:

FirstBastion said:

Since the HDRI lighting is less flexible,  I rendered iray first,  then used distance lights in the same general directional angle  for the 3DL lighting. The 3DL also made use of the physical skydome in the background. UberEnv2 provided the ambient lighting.  

And to answer westerdan's question,  the shadows under the vehicles are raytraced shadows from the 3DL pass,  but the vehicles themselves are mostly the iray render and reflection. 

Tks for explaining, sure looks nice! Guess that beautiful looking set is not available anymore? smiley 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,411
    edited December 2023

It is available,  just at rendo, search Dreamland,  block 20.  With that particular set you get 12 unique houses on the block.  Twelve house exteriors !  With that much Victorian/Georgian style goodness,  had to overlook the Poser only limitation to make it work. A great addition to the Runtime. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Great, will have a look at it...sounds just like my kind of thing to convert it to 3DL PT- shaders:)) 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

Dreamland Models's stuff can be awsome. But quite a few of those sets are *big* or require a fairly powerful bit of hardware to work with them.

Luckily, as long as you're not running on a minimum amount of RAM, 3DL is far more forgiving than IRay with handling large sets;)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255

He does use instances, which does help.

A Path To Nowhere;)

Very nice, which scenery set is this? Is all the vegetaton part of the scene, or did you kitbash it?

edited December 2023

It's Predatron's A Path to Somewhere, took myself the liberty of making it look more like around here. Quite frankly, as much as I love Predatron stuff, this set has a few "design decisions" like transmapped grass instances baked into one object, a too small forground diffuse texture, blurry displacement maps etc, so nearly returned it. Now, a week later I'm glad I didn't;)

Yeah, threw away everything transmapped, leaving the gorse bushes and reeds, started over painting scattermaps and whatnot;) The forground diffuse texture is now 16k, the controlmaps are 16k 16Bit png:s for just about everything related to ground and rocks (that's around 800Mb each, LOL). Not entirely happy, as I'm no texture painting wizard, but I've learned a bunch of new stuff again:))

Those gorse bushes are beautifully made, no transmapped leavesyes. The first testrender ,after converting and setting up every original surface, made me realise this is useless for me as is, rendertimes in the range of days...IRay must be so much better at handling cutout opacity than 3DL, it hurts to admitlaugh

Regarding the vegetation - I used various poser grass patches/clumps, can't recall where they came from, and some Oreste's bushes, some ferns from a Fugazi set and a couple of other products, all without transmaps. Cuts rendertimes with atleast a factor of ten, compared to the Predatron originals.

(That said, I think I own every non transmapped Predatron product, excellent stuff:)) Hoping for more of the same kind...)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on

Thanks for the technical breakdown, especially regarding the vegetation. The replacement and extra work you did sure made it worthwhile.

Hehe, don't know what's wrong with me, since I started playing with DS I've never been able to leave a surface untouched...sometimes it would be nice to just load something and render awaylaugh

edited December 2023

If I could buy sets, optimized like this for the 3DL pathtracer, load and render, I'd be a pretty happy fellahenlightened

So couldn't live with the ground texture, sorry Predatron but not sufficient resolution...so rebuilt it using some 16k River Ganges pebbles from poly haven;) And, of course remade all the controlmaps and re-scattered with adjusted scatter maps etc. There are still no opacity- or normal-maps in the scene. I hate both lol.

Regarding vegetation: The original Predatron gorse bushes and reeds, the rest is more or less a mix of Oreste, Gendragon3D and Fugazi (the ferns came with some set, can't remember).

Well this is the current state, best I can do for now;) (still no haze or such added)

Looks fantastic! Out of curiosity, how much of this is still Predatron's package? 

edited December 2023

Tks a lot! Yeah this gives you much more freedom to move cameras around, for sure;) 

Well the geometry is untouched, just retextured, using the originals as roadmaps. That includes the foreground- and background terrain and rocks. And, as I mentioned, the beautiful gorsebushes (there are four types, also available as separate props) and reeds.

Actually, the rocks use the original diffuse texture, I just added bit-depth to and edited the controlmaps.

So basically it all came down to getting rid of transmaps and fixing the ground texture;) Love the set! Predatron would probably have done these fixes in a couple of hours, if not less...

• EthinEthin Posts: 1,013

First snow.

Ethin said:

First snow.

Nice sheen on skin and nails! Well done:)

(Pssst, if you're going for that photographic bokeh-effect on the snowflakes, you need atleast 16x16 pixelsamples. And the shape can be altered in rendersettings;) A more shallow DoF makes the effect more prominent.)

Sven Dullah said:

Nice sheen on skin and nails! Well done:)

(Pssst, if you're going for that photographic bokeh-effect on the snowflakes, you need atleast 16x16 pixelsamples. And the shape can be altered in rendersettings;) A more shallow DoF makes the effect more prominent.)

Thanks!

Yeah, I keep forgetting to up the pixel samples.

I wasn't try for any particular style, I was actually trying to blur the wall so the lower rez texture wasn't as noticeable.

I did try the changes you suggested and update the image in my DAZ gallery. 

Ethin said:

First snow.

I like the overall depth-of-field, was that done via render or in post? 

wsterdan said:

I like the overall depth-of-field, was that done via render or in post? 

Thanks. The dof is all D|S.

edited December 2023

...so the days are already a few seconds longer than on the 22th, looking forward to seeing some daylight soon:))

Skytexture by agent unawares, tks!!

Sven Dullah said:

...so the days are already a few seconds longer than on the 22th, looking forward to seeing some daylight soon:))

That looks like a great place to be right about now.

The water and sky look exceptionally good, wish I was there... 

edited January 2

wsterdan said:

Sven Dullah said:

That looks like a great place to be right about now.

The water and sky look exceptionally good, wish I was there... 

Tks! Yeah temperatures expected to drop below -38°C here tonight...it's a real struggle now:))

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,411
    edited January 3

This is an old Poser/Obj prop from Dante78 that I picked up the other day,  and decided that DS 3Delight would would probably handle the textures well enough given the poser mats.  

The landscape surround that came with the building though was really showing its over a decade age,  so added my own nature elements,  since i have a few of those laying around. 

Post edited by FirstBastion on

FirstBastion said:

This is an old Poser/Obj prop from Dante78 that I picked up the other day,  and decided that DS 3Delight would would probably handle the textures well enough given the poser mats.  

The landscape surround that came with the building though was really showing its over a decade age,  so added my own nature elements,  since i have a few of those laying around. 

Great job, the ground elements really make a difference. 

edited January 3

Sven said:

Tks! Yeah temperatures expected to drop below -38°C here tonight...it's a real struggle now:)

Is that with or without wind chill? Either way, it's still too cold.

We've been unnaturally warm this winter (so far) and we barely have any snow, very unusual. I assume the weather will play catch-up in a few weeks, so we'll enjoy it for now.

We'll be dipping back into the minus twenties next week. 

Post edited by wsterdan on