More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Great starting point for that!

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

csaa said:

Hi, NPR Peeps!

I've been mixing renders and brining it all together in the post-edit phase. For example, here I've been playing with masks and hatching layers, trying to harmonize these shading elements with minimal color palette to achieve a comic book look. I found that the conceptualizing stage was a lot more important in that it would spare me from too many re-do's in the hatching work. I guess there's a premium in imagining the final outcome before hand in order to save time and effort.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: S6 Lab | Daz assets and set up | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Like it.

• LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited February 2023

I finally figured out the shadows in 3DL that work with the Visual Style Shaders! I just used the lights from the Genesis 2 Starter pack free from Daz and tweaked the lights. It loads several lights at once, plus some environment settings. And boom, shadows work now.

I changed the hair on Rosi. I liked the messy hair, but it didn't pose well and lost some of its charm at certain angles. I use Visual Style Shaders, but for pretty much all settings I use the diffuse maps and turn all the colors to white so it only uses my maps. It works for this project because I don't want outlines. I can deepen shadows by playing with the specularity slider.

In Photoshop, I duplicate the layer and run my Cartoon action, then set the cartoon layer to 30% opacity. I'm loving this look.

Rosi closeup.jpg
    1617 x 2102 - 588K
    Rosi.jpg
    1080 x 1404 - 138K
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812
    edited February 2023

LoreMistress Izaria said:

I finally figured out the shadows in 3DL that work with the Visual Style Shaders! I just used the lights from the Genesis 2 Starter pack free from Daz and tweaked the lights. It loads several lights at once, plus some environment settings. And boom, shadows work now.

LoreMistress Izaria,

These are great techniques! I don't think I've ever used 3DL, but from what I've seen in the forums there's a lot of interesting images produced with it. PwToons, in particular, is one that has no shortage of examples.

If I could offer some suggestions ...

In any portraiture, the eyes are a major attraction. Our brains are hardwired to look for it the moment we see a face. It wouldn't hurt to soften their expressiveness in your renders. I don't have much experience with G2, but G8, for example, has excellent features to pose the eyes, eyelids and eyebrows. Sometimes we overlook their aesthetic value as we're focused on the technical aspects of getting the image right. (Speaking eyebrows, I watched an interview of an experience manga and anime artist. When sketching out a figure, the first thing he draws are the eyebrows. He uses the eyebrows to set the tone of the facial expression and, hence, the mood of the scene. Who knew, right?) Configured well, the eyes speak volumes.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on
  • csaa said:

If I could offer some suggestions ...

In any portraiture, the eyes are a major attraction. Our brains are hardwired to look for it the moment we see a face. It wouldn't hurt to soften their expressiveness in your renders. I don't have much experience with G2, but G8, for example, has excellent features to pose the eyes, eyelids and eyebrows. Sometimes we overlook their aesthetic value as we're focused on the technical aspects of getting the image right. (Speaking eyebrows, I watched an interview of an experience manga and anime artist. When sketching out a figure, the first thing he draws are the eyebrows. He uses the eyebrows to set the tone of the facial expression and, hence, the mood of the scene. Who knew, right?) Configured well, the eyes speak volumes.

Cheers!

I actually hadn't put any facial pose on this one. Oops!

I just clicked a pose to test the materials and shadows. I was mostly making her bend over to test the shadow values. I usually spend a fair amount of time just posing the face. All in all, slapping this pose together, rendering the layers needed (I did three passes, 2 in 3DL and hair in Iray), and fiddling in Photoshop- this render took about 2 hours from loading the saved/dressed figure and the final product. I was focusing on my workflow, and I think I've got one now.

:D

Sgt. Inez | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• @csaa I love the colors! And the background.

• LoreMistress IzariaLoreMistress Izaria Posts: 145
    edited February 2023

Rosi's move to the big city isn't as exciting as she had hoped. Between the smelly alleys, rude neighbors, and bad weather, she is more than done with this bad day.

I won't clutter up the thread with these now that I've found a process, but I did start my own thread. I would love it if any of you want to follow along and I always welcome critiques and comments.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/620706/duane-bryers-hilda-inspired-art

Or if you prefer, on DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/loremistress/gallery/86330043/pinups

Windy City Woes.jpg
    1080 x 1404 - 541K
    Post edited by LoreMistress Izaria on

LoreMistress Izaria said:

Rosi's move to the big city isn't as exciting as she had hoped. Between the smelly alleys, rude neighbors, and bad weather, she is more than done with this bad day.

LoreMistress Izaria,

The illustration is full of life! Glad you found a workflow you're happy with.

Cheers!

A follow up to the earlier image I posted. I needed a futuristic looking suit for stealth with no frills, unlike the one I typically use which, I imagine, has more armor plates suitable for combat. For colors, I chose cool tones, thinking that this would blend well in the shadows and low light scenarios. Weapons? Just a few grenades, a pistol and a tonfa, for short range and hand-to-hand combat. Altogether, something great to wear when sneaking around. The Tech Soldier: Special Forces  fit the bill, with slight modifications.

So here are samples. I'm also including the line art version I shared previously.

Cheers!

Sgt. Inez: Kit Out 005_002 | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Challange Accepted!

That reminds me of this old anime called Karate Master.

There's an episode where he quietly gets on a flight bound for his next adventure, and I'd like to think that he got into a karate tussle with everyone on the plane, because he's the Karate Master, and karate is literally the solution to all of his problems.

vrba79 said:

There's an episode where he quietly gets on a flight bound for his next adventure, and I'd like to think that he got into a karate tussle with everyone on the plane, because he's the Karate Master, and karate is literally the solution to all of his problems.

LOL, sounds awesome.

• Amazing and lovely render guys ! Been a while since last my post in here .

In last 6-8 months my RL jobs forcing me using  Blender and SD AI more than DAZ Studio .

So many DAZ NPR trick I`m definetely missing . Glad you`re all keep posting in here so makes easy if someday I wanna re- learn all good thing about NPR with DAZ studio 

juvesatriani said:

Amazing and lovely render guys ! Been a while since last my post in here .

juvesatriani,

Glad to hear from you again! Your personal work has always been an inspiration. Hope you find time to resume sharing here.

Cheers! 

tkdrobert said:

vrba79 said:

LOL, sounds awesome.

TMS Entertainment's YouTube channel has the entire series, a long with a bunch more anime they made. Older, harder to find stuff.

Sgt. Inez: Kit Out 000_999 | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

I haven't posted much lately for a few reasons.

Work has been brutal, as the OR has been ramping up proceedure output due to spring break, this leaves me too tired to do much.

What little creative energy I do have has been going into getting my long running webcomic wrapped up.

I'll be upgrading to an SSD soon, and when I do I'm doing a clean install of everything including D|S, which may or may not including installing pre-G8 purchases.

• llnrftrllnrftr Posts: 5

Hey all, I like never post in the forums but going through the NPR and some of the other shader help topics helped me finally get a workflow down for the style I wanted. I do book covers and am a writer and I wanted not only to do my own cozy covers but maybe do some short comic panels for promos. Anywho, I wanted to share because without these forums I wouldn't have gotten to this!
    So, this is mostly done using the PWtoon in combo with the free JSflat, free geoshell, crescents free pw shaders, and the free soft tint. Basically what Juvesatriani and Cresent recommend in their posts.
    Then I did some minimal photoshop work. I posterized the background only, added a color lookup and a camera raw to tie everything together.

back3 copy.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 2M
  • llnrftr said:

Hey all, I like never post in the forums but going through the NPR and some of the other shader help topics helped me finally get a workflow down for the style I wanted. I do book covers and am a writer and I wanted not only to do my own cozy covers but maybe do some short comic panels for promos. Anywho, I wanted to share because without these forums I wouldn't have gotten to this!
    So, this is mostly done using the PWtoon in combo with the free JSflat, free geoshell, crescents free pw shaders, and the free soft tint. Basically what Juvesatriani and Cresent recommend in their posts.
    Then I did some minimal photoshop work. I posterized the background only, added a color lookup and a camera raw to tie everything together.

That turned out nice. Good job!

edited March 2023

llnrftr,

Welcome to the thead and thanks for sharing your work. It turned out well. I've never used PWToons and JSflat, but from what I've seen they're very useful tools. People have been sharing impressive images using them.

Hope to see more of your work.

vrba79,

Upgrading PCs and reinstalling Daz can be an uphill climb. The upshot is that it's a good time to do some housecleaning and start off fresh in a different direction.

Cheers!

Post edited by csaa on

That's the idea. Plus I'll be working with a SSD, instead of a rickety old HDD.

Sgt. Inez: Monocrhome Headshot | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

New Drive arrives tommorow in the meantime, Cartoonized compliments some of my other stylized G8 purchases well!

It was either Cartoonized for G8 or the G9 Toon Heroes. I followed my gut and stuck with G8.

The new SSD is whisper quiet. Getting everything reinstalled has been a breezes, and I got back on the ball pretty fast.

Thorala, Qualinesti Elf | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Monkey Punch's Lupin the 3rd inspired this particular character.

edited March 2023

Related to my last post above, some more headshots from the Dragonlance 5E campaign I'm setting up.

Cheers!

Alfhild and Thorala | Daz assets | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on
  • @csaa Love the way this is turning out. The colors are nice.