More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317

Richard Haseltine said:

This discussion of who should post what has fully run its course, thank you.

And what is the conclusion - I came here to post a week or so ago but saw the post requesting people only post in a certain way. Is this thread open to anyone and can we post when we want to? 

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,096

All I know is--I come here to see non-photorealistic renders, and I haven't seen any for a couple days.

Why does anyone feel the need to "police" what is posted?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,140
    edited June 2023

scorpio said:

Richard Haseltine said:

This discussion of who should post what has fully run its course, thank you.

And what is the conclusion - I came here to post a week or so ago but saw the post requesting people only post in a certain way. Is this thread open to anyone and can we post when we want to? 

Yes. If anyone has comp[laints about others' posting they should flag the post, or oen of the posts, for moderator review but threads like this are essentially open for all thata re more-or-less on topic- if a thread is started with a more restrictive goal (the obvious example being any kind of contest) then it would usually be more restrictive and we would be likely to act if people seemed to be disrupting that.

Having said that, we would suggest that people with a large block of images to post, or a long discussion of technique, start a separate thread and just post highlights here - but that is as much as anything fro their own sake, to make sure their posts don't get lost, and certainly not something we would normally feel obliged to enforce.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,880

Thanks for the clarification, @Richard.

I have enjoyed to post in this thread for a long time ago, but after continuous complains from csaa

I decided to not post here nowadays.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,390

Given that there is feeling that the community might be shrinking a bit,  lets remain inclusive and welcoming to everyone who wants to participate.

There does seem to be a problem with uploading images onto the forum.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited June 2023

Yeah, this was a good ride while it lasted. Not only are the forums becoming pricklier, but Daz3d doesn't seem to appreciate NPR artists the way it used to, so maybe this is just the end. A lot of the regular NPR artists don't even post here any more.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

@vrba79 :

Some of us are still here.  I read the thread almost every day (when time permits), but don't have the current time for creating new NPR work to participate.

Also, love the work you have been doing lately with the Iray Sketchy NPR shaders.  I purchased that one too, but have not had time to play with it yet (or PWToon, MangaStyle, VisualStyle, and OsoToon I also purchased).

So, to help my favorite thread along at least by one post  --  Here are a couple of very old NPR I have'nt posted here :

!!! NOPE !!!  --  Forum will not allow me to upload images right now, so I guess it still isn't fixed.

That is a great way to help diminish an image thread  --  Will try again next month...

edited June 2023

This is an AI enhanced postwork of an original Dazstudio render I did.

dazrender-aipost-1stB.jpg
    400 x 600 - 121K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • csaacsaa Posts: 812

Wow! I've been away for the weekend and pretty strong feels have come out since then. indecision

Well, my friends, since I started this big stink, I feel responsible to bing it to a sensible close. I've only believed in persuasion through reason, arguing what I thought was for the greater good. But since this appears to have been misunderstood ... I yield without any hard feelings. If the reasoning I've put forth has placed folks on the edge, then I apologize.

I'll look into starting my own thread and let things be in this one. After all, any differences in philosophy doesn't have to get in the way of celebrating the Daz ecosystem. This sounds like the best course to take from hereon.

Richard Haseltine, thanks for stepping in and handling the matter well. Really appreciate the clarifications.

Cheers!

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556

Hi guys , love this thread since day one . And I`m still visiting  this  thread to see new  awesome NPR renders till this day .

But yeah agree with everyone saying ( or richard ?) that we can use this thread for showcase , then posting the detail in their own thread .  But maybe its time to upgrade this thread into NPR projects

I`m sorry if in several posts I`ve posted here take some space or even pages for explaining my messy  workflows :)

Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys 

• diggem1diggem1 Posts: 1
    edited June 2023

Edit: ok I dunno what's going on. The forum doesn't do anything when I try to attach a file. It just says "Uploading..." I wasn't even sure if this post was going to exist because when I originally tried to post it, nothing happened.

Hello, folks.

Looking for some feedback on this style I'm trying to hammer out. I've tried to do minimal postwork.

What do you think about the hair? Are the lines are too erratic? Too many? Does the flow of the hair look correct?

Post edited by diggem1 on

diggem1 said:

Hello, folks.

Looking for some feedback on this style I'm trying to hammer out. I've tried to do minimal postwork.

What do you think about the hair? Are the lines are too erratic? Too many? Does the flow of the hair look correct?

Sorry but can't see any image posted?

edited June 2023

vrba79 said:

You can make your own homemade "Toon Heroes" style characters with G8.

All you need is Cartoonized for G8, your favorite character to mix with it, and the materials and hair from Toon Generations for G8.

Cartoonized is my favorite kind of purchase, a multitasker.

It really is a good functional tool that offers quick versatility for character creation.  It gives a good Pixaresque output.

Post edited by FirstBastion on

csaa said:

Sgt. Inez | Daz Assets | Blender Render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Now thats a cool dynamic angle,  and Sgt. Inez continues to be tough and heroic.

I guess I can stick around.

Public domain characters are great, but when the author's only description of them is that they're wearing a coat and holding an umbrella, its up to you to fill in the blanks.

FirstBastion said:

Now thats a cool dynamic angle,  and Sgt. Inez continues to be tough and heroic.

FirstBastion,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

At this point I'm still exploring ways of illustrating a story. Where I come from comics weren't just for super heroes. In more adult versions I grew up enjoying, writers expresed contemporary issues, with characters tackling personal challenges (financial loss, infidelity, etc.) or general ones such as living with government or social injustice. Yeah, not your Disney-esque stuff! Of course, there were moments of lightheartedness too -- what story wouldn't try to capture a rounded-out view of life? So although I portray my characters as action figures, the goal is to plumb deeper.

I've taken a stab towards this direction in some of the comic panels I shared on the Daz Forum here.

Like I said, I'm still trying different techniques. Until I hit the right 3D illustration workflow, the heroic mode is my default go-to, simply because its a low hanging fruit and there are tons of Daz assets built around this theme.

Cheers!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I've loved this thread for years and I hope you ALL keep posting! I'm such a fan of the NPR style and you all bring a lot to the table, so please never stop sharing what you're doing with the community! :D

edited June 2023

I've been looking at the idea of incorporating Stable Diffusion into my workflow for NPR work. I've been working on mixing different NPR Checkpoint models to create more unique styles. I've had some weird outputs that when combined can produce some interesting results:

Raw Daz Studio render:

After 3 stages of processing:

Whelp, never mind. I can't seam to get any images uploaded here. So I may have to figure out another way to share the images. 

EDIT - Ok let's see if hosting the images offsite works.

Raw Daz Studio Render:

After three stages of processing:

Raw Daz Studio render:

They're far from perfect and could definitely use some clean-up work, particularly the eyes. But I think the technique might eventually lead to more useable results. 

PLEASE let me know if this is the wrong thread for sharing this type of work. I don't know if the thread is meant for only NPR styles rendered within Daz Studio or if other programs like Stable Diffusion's renders are allowed here as well. 

Post edited by 3Diva on

I don't care if other people feed their work into that thing, but I've no interest in using it.

3Diva said:

I've been looking at the idea of incorporating Stable Diffusion into my workflow for NPR work. I've been working on mixing different NPR Checkpoint models to create more unique styles. I've had some weird outputs that when combined can produce some interesting results:

Raw Daz Studio render:

Whelp, never mind. I can't seam to get any images uploaded here. So I may have to figure out another way to share the images. 

Raw Daz Studio Render:

Raw Daz Studio render:

They're far from perfect and could definitely use some clean-up work, particularly the eyes. But I think the technique might eventually lead to more useable results. 

PLEASE let me know if this is the wrong thread for sharing this type of work. I don't know if the thread is meant for only NPR styles rendered within Daz Studio or if other programs like Stable Diffusion's renders are allowed here as well. 

Hi Diva,  Im not sure why but I can't see any of the images you posted. If I click on the rectagular frame for the picture,  its asking to sign into google.

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 868
    edited June 2023

I could see Diva's images before, but yes, they're now gone...

3Diva Since you popped in, I wanted to say how much I like your ELR Silhouettes set. It makes it so much easier to set up silhouettes, and all the options are just great! heart I've planned out a larger project using it. Hopefully I'll get to it one day! Thanks for a quick elegant process! yes

Under the Sea - This was a test render I did with it when I first got it over a year ago...

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited June 2023

Forum is letting me upload tonight, so here are a couple of old ones :

OhMy_NPR_01b.jpg
    900 x 1090 - 180K
    MotokoNPR001a.jpg
    1088 x 1292 - 281K
    KenpoIllustration.png
    1000 x 1000 - 3M
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on

vrba79 said:

I don't care if other people feed their work into that thing, but I've no interest in using it.

It's worth quoting FirstBastion in that it's better to be inclusive and welcoming to everyone who wants to participate. That's certainly a good lesson I've learned recently. Remember, variety in style and technique is what'll keep this thread worth bothering with.

3Diva, good to hear from your again! I did see the images you shared before they became inacessible. They were lovely images, and I'd be interested to see more of Stable Diffusion used for NPR. I myself don't use Daz Studio for rendering anymore; I use Blender. We've also seen Phloki3D use Octane to good effect. So in general I accept that there's more than one way to produce NPR images. Surely there's a place for generative AI too.

After all, all rivers lead to the same NPR ocean.

Cheers!

FirstBastion said:

3Diva said:

Raw Daz Studio render:

Raw Daz Studio Render:

Raw Daz Studio render:

Hi Diva,  Im not sure why but I can't see any of the images you posted. If I click on the rectagular frame for the picture,  its asking to sign into google.

Yeah, it's weird. I hosted them on Google photo, and thought I could share them through there. I tried again today to get the images to upload HERE on the forum, but it won't let me add images or "attach a file" to the comments. I've been trying on and off for the past couple days to get an image upload here but I can't seem to do it. So I guess I won't be sharing any more of my work until I can find a decent image-sharing site. It's a real shame the forum seems to be broken and won't allow one to upload images anymore. I hope it's a temporary glitch an something that will be fixed soon.

SapphireBlue said:

I could see Diva's images before, but yes, they're now gone...

3Diva Since you popped in, I wanted to say how much I like your ELR Silhouettes set. It makes it so much easier to set up silhouettes, and all the options are just great! heart I've planned out a larger project using it. Hopefully I'll get to it one day! Thanks for a quick elegant process! yes

Under the Sea - This was a test render I did with it when I first got it over a year ago...

Oh that's awesome to hear! I'm so glad you've found the ELR Silhouettes product useful. The Under the Sea image is really cool! I'm looking forward to seeing that larger project too!

edited June 2023

@csaa Thank you! Yeah it's been interesting learning about the possibility of using AI to enhance Daz Studio renders. Stable Diffusion AUTOMATIC1111 is a lot of fun to work with! :D And using Daz Studio in that workflow really brings it to another level! I'm looking forward to learning about how to train my own models, so that I can train them on my own Daz Studio renders to get the art style that's created by me.

Being able to get my own NPR style and being able to reproduce that look more easily through models trained on my OWN NPR images would be awesome! I'd love to train a model on the styles that I've been able to produce with my NPR shaders like in these older Daz Studio renders of mine:

Being able to train my own models on my own NPR styles would be a dream come true and a MASSIVE time saver in my workflow. Sadly I think my PC might be a bit too old to be able to handle the model training. From what I've read people need a pretty "robust" machine to train Stable Diffusion models.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 868
    edited June 2023

I'm enjoying seeing all the different renders and styles. Thanks for sharing everyone! heart Promptly felt inspired to do an NPR render. I used visual style shaders a lot for the render, then postworked in Photoshop using filters to get the linework and flatter color and light texture, before layering the original render back in a bit.

Red Flowers

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
    edited June 2023

I guess different artists have different philosophies on getting to their end result.

For me, its not just to get to that end result, but also figuring out how to make that end result happen. Like last year when I figured out how to bruteforce Sketchy Toon for Iray into making stuff that looked like PWtoon, or like when I figured out how to make great toon images with dzDefault's toon shaders, a shader set most people just flat out ignored. I wouldn't have gotten that kind of satisfaction had I just fed a bunch of my renders into program and said "Okay, make these look cool!"

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited June 2023

DaremoK3 said:

Forum is letting me upload tonight, so here are a couple of old ones :

DaremoK3,

I think I've seen these images from earlier in this thread (or elsewhere in the forum). Did you hand-draw the colors and the texture in post-edit?

When I started exploring the cel shaded render style, I insisted that the colors and tones should come straight out of the rendering stage, Blender in my case. It's only lately that I've tried hand-coloring a B&W base render, this manual stage done wholly in Clip Studio Paint.

For certain it takes time and effort. I found that the quality of the line art matters and it pays to touch it up with a brush; any gaps makes it difficult to generate layer masks. But the effort pays off because the outcome has more character to it. Compared to a rendered image, it looks less "digital" if only because of the idiosyncrasies in the post-editing stage.

All together the process is very calming, very relaxing. I can see why people spend ours after a stressfull day coloring by hand just to decompress.

SapphireBlue,

The process I used was more or less as you described it earlier: "... postworked in Photoshop using filters to get the linework and flatter color and light texture, before layering the original render back in a bit."

Cheers!

Sgt. Cleo: Kit Out 999 | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

Post edited by csaa on