More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited June 2023

guys ,  pwToon still working with new version of DAZ studio ? @vrba79 do you still have pwToon installed in your machine? 

I`m thinking about  generating bunches of complex shadows (which I can also use as masks) plus color id  for postwork flexibilities  . If I remember correctly pwToon + free automated Lighting scripts , faster than any solution I`ve ever tried . 

And since my old DAZ studio installer already gone , I wonder if I can still using pwToon

Thanks

Post edited by juvesatriani on
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297

Yeah. I recently installed PWToon and it still worked. It just doesn't work well with G9! The eyes have a weird transparency issue I cannot solve. I suspect this is a bug, but because 3DL is no longer a priority, they didn't look into fixing it.

• csaacsaa Posts: 812

vrba79 said:

For me, its not just to get to that end result, but also figuring out how to make that end result happen. Like last year when I figured out how to bruteforce Sketchy Toon for Iray into making stuff that looked like PWtoon, or like when I figured out how to make great toon images with dzDefault's toon shaders, a shader set most people just flat out ignored. I wouldn't have gotten that kind of satisfaction had I just fed a bunch of my renders into program and said "Okay, make these look cool!"

vrba79,

All I can say is that one man's gold is another man's junk. Whether the cat is black or white, does it really matter? So long as it can catch the mice. Live and let live.

This navel gazing is ruining a good Friday vibe! To wit, as the King would say, a little less conversation, a little more action, please. laugh

Cheers!

Sgt. Cleo: A Little Less Conversation, Please! | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,387

Can never go wrong with a little bit of Elvis. 

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

vrba79 said:

/snip

I wouldn't have gotten that kind of satisfaction had I just fed a bunch of my renders into program and said "Okay, make these look cool!"

That's not at all what I'm doing and it's actually a lot more work to do what I'm doing to get the NPR styles I want through Stable Diffusion than you may realize. It's also taken over two weeks to figure out how to do it in such a way that it creates the style I want while keeping the Daz Studio render as the main foundation. It's taken hours and hours of work every day running tests and thousands of test images over the past couple of weeks. And it's definitely not a "make art button" - at least not how I'm using it. It's pretty funny the comments you're making are the same type of stuff people used to say about digital art, then about 3D art. lol :) It's all good though, we all have our own views and opinions and there's nothing wrong with that. :D We'll just have to agree to disagree. *hugs*

• vrba79 said:

I guess different artists have different philosophies on getting to their end result.

For me, its not just to get to that end result, but also figuring out how to make that end result happen. Like last year when I figured out how to bruteforce Sketchy Toon for Iray into making stuff that looked like PWtoon, or like when I figured out how to make great toon images with dzDefault's toon shaders, a shader set most people just flat out ignored. I wouldn't have gotten that kind of satisfaction had I just fed a bunch of my renders into program and said "Okay, make these look cool!"

I'm like this, too. I've been learning Blender the past few months, which is why I stopped posting. I love/hate the shader engine. I'm starting to understand it better now, and have started experimenting on days I don't feel like working on sculpting the bits for my project.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited June 2023

"The Huntsman and the Stag"

An archer hunter hides in the shadows of the forest trees and aims his bow at a deer. His expectations are he will be providing his family a healthy supply of venison.

I created this digitally on my computer using Daz Studio, Photoshop CC 2023 and Rebelle 5..

The Huntsman and the Stag=KRM02.jpg
    1600 x 996 - 819K
    Post edited by kenmo on
  • kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    edited June 2023

Deleted as double post.

Post edited by kenmo on
  • SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 868

kenmo said:

An archer hunter hides in the shadows of the forest trees and aims his bow at a deer. His expectations are he will be providing his family a healthy supply of venison.

I created this digitally on my computer using Daz Studio, Photoshop CC 2023 and Rebelle 5..

Your composition uses the 16:9 layout very well and has a lovely story/illustration feel to it. Nicely done!  yes

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

kenmo said:

That's a beautiful image! I love the sun rays coming through the trees. It has a neat illustrated look to it. Well done!

I can't help but root for the deer! Run Bambi's dad, run! lol :D

kenmo,

Long time no see here in Dazland!

Thanks for sharing "The Huntsman and the Stag". I've heard a lot of good things about Rebelle. It's always interesting to see creative work made with it.

Hope to see more of your work.

Cheers!

That is beautiful.

Sgts. Cleo & Inez: What That? | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit

This one came from a weird conversation about a hypothetical tokusatsu hero who's entire MO is just crotch-punching monsters.

Before I knew it, I was making some fake VHS screengrabs for it. Censored the last panel, because I dunno what'll set people off any more.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited July 2023

After all day of trying to upload images, finally success...

Here are some more old ones from me to help revive this thread.

* EDIT:

@csaa :

No, I am not hand drawing colors/textures in post-edit   --  Composite work from layers of different renders/filters.

Post edited by DaremoK3 on

And, a few more...

DaremoK3 said:

After all day of trying to upload images, finally success...

Here are some more old ones from me to help revive this thread.

* EDIT:

@csaa :

No, I am not hand drawing colors/textures in post-edit   --  Composite work from layers of different renders/filters.

DaremoK3,

Thanks for sharing your work! The textures are certainly interesting. Are these all purely Daz renders? What other tools did you use?

I discovered belatedly that rendering different image layers and compositing them was the quickest way to add dimension to the scene. Spares me trying to cram all the effects in one set of shaders. About the image attachment problem, I sidestep it by simply uploading my images to the Daz Gallery and then embedding them in my posts here in the Forum. No problems thus far.

Hopefully you can share more and keep this thread going. smiley

Cheers!

Re-sharing info posted by wolf359 about his NPR/Anime project. The links are here and here. Worth looking into.

Cheers!

Count Orlok is the baddie in my current webcomic, so making this really dumb joke was inevitable.

edited August 2023

@vrba79 :

Great image and joke.  He reminds me of Nosferatu.  I believe he is going to devour everyone at the Krab (especially Patrick), before he gets to a flippin'...

Is that the style you are using in your webcomic?

Also, I love your VHS screengrab emulation images above.  Very well done!

@csaa :

Most of those in that set are DS 3Delight renders  --  The single Buddha was spot rendered in Carrara, the asian buildings scene realtime render in FlowScape, and the last image of the woman with Katana in Blender.  However, the Buddha scene background was rendered in Bryce, and used for the DS 3Delight render.

I use a plethora of 3D/2D software which would be a long list, but here are some of the ones I used for the image sets above:

Daz Studio

Carrara

Bryce

Poser

Wings3D

Metasequoia

Blender

FlowScape

MarvelousDesigner2

VWD Cloth Simulation

FotoSketcher

G'MIC

IrfanView

Photoshop5

Variety of filters for the 2D raster softwares

* Not used on image sets above, but also used regularly for NPR work:

PhotoDonut / PostworkShop

Inkscape

Expression3 / MSExpressionDesign4

Post edited by DaremoK3 on

DaremoK3 said:

@csaa :

I use a plethora of 3D/2D software which would be a long list, but here are some of the ones I used for the image sets above:

DaremoK3,

If the list of software tools used is an indication, then I really haven't been around that long. (Going three years this winter, I believe.) Apart from Daz Studio I've only used Blender, and Clip Studio Paint for my work. 

Tell me something, I've always suspect that everyone comes to this 3D hobby/profession followig their own path. Is that right? That is, there isn't one canonical way of picking it up and that, like art in general, there's room to discover and express one's own, uh, "thing". The reason I ask is that I really came to this from a software background intending to learn about 3D tech. Looking back, I really haven't done a lot of programmng: in fact, along with learning about how to use the software tools, I sink in a lot learning about traditional and 3D illustration. Not that I'm complaining -- it's been a happy journey for me so far. I just wonder if the 'learn about 3D tech' was the right foot in to begin with, to be discarded quickly for something that I've to be more worthwhile.

Cheers!

Yeah, I have been around for a very long time, and I am still in no hurry to get any of my graphic novels done...

I believe you are right that everyone comes to this from their own path, with their own wants, needs, and aspirations for what they wish to accomplish, whatever that may be.

As long as you are happy on your journey, then I believe you are on the right track.  Me, personally, I was much happier doing this back in the Poser4 days, but the only constant is change.

Take care...

Ken

• Phloki3dPhloki3d Posts: 124

It's been a while since I've been able to really dive back into NPR, but have still been dipping in here for inspiration. Here's my latest test using the same method I described somewhere back in the thread but I've focused more on sculpting and texturing G9 to get closer to the anime-style features I want, especially trying to get a look that is pleasing from different angles. 

I've also been finding a workflow for using more complex backgrounds - still needs tweaking but as a test it's heading in the right direction

full1.png
    1080 x 1350 - 2M

Phloki3D said:

It's been a while since I've been able to really dive back into NPR, but have still been dipping in here for inspiration. Here's my latest test using the same method I described somewhere back in the thread but I've focused more on sculpting and texturing G9 to get closer to the anime-style features I want, especially trying to get a look that is pleasing from different angles. 

I've also been finding a workflow for using more complex backgrounds - still needs tweaking but as a test it's heading in the right direction

Phloki3D,

Long time now see nor hear! smiley

This is well done, particularly the environment. It has a strong webtoon feel to it. Hope to see more from you.

Cheers!

edited December 2023

@csaa Thank you, always good to hear your feedback, I've been keeping an eye on your thread for inspiration also!

Stepping more out of my comfort zone, this time with a little comic teaser. Everything is straight out of Daz, Photoshop for compositing, adding speech bubbles and some very minor overlays for paper texture and colour grading. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to layouts but I'm happy with the proof of concept

Katana-Salad-concept.png
    1170 x 1509 - 2M
    Post edited by Phloki3d on
  • David RDavid R Posts: 219

csaa said:

Phloki3D said:

Phloki3D,

Long time now see nor hear! smiley

This is well done, particularly the environment. It has a strong webtoon feel to it. Hope to see more from you.

Cheers!

Are there any tutorials on how to create this look? 

David R said:

Are there any tutorials on how to create this look? 

I wrote a short tutorial a while back, here's the link: https://imgur.com/a/8hOdyxT

Though it assumes you have access to and a base knowledge of how to use Octane render within Daz. A large part of my workflow is also texturing and morphing of the character which I don't cover in any detail. Regardless the principles can apply to a variety of render engines so it may still be of use to you. Good luck!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,880

Thanks for the tutorial link, Phloki3D.

I have tried Octane render with Unity.

It will be interesting to see, if your method works also there.

Phloki3D said:

Stepping more out of my comfort zone, this time with a little comic teaser. Everything is straight out of Daz, Photoshop for compositing, adding speech bubbles and some very minor overlays for paper texture and colour grading. I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to layouts but I'm happy with the proof of concept

Phloki3D,

The comics looks good! It's been a long while since I used Photoshop. I can attest that after switching to Clip Studio Paint my turn around got shorter for conceptualizing a comic to putting something together. The software was built for that task.

Here's one of the earliest one I made after getting the hang of CSP. I used Joe Quick's Mouse King for G8.1 for the titular character. laugh

Asbjorn the Smuggler | Daz assets | Blender render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit