Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

Steve K said:

OK, way off topic.  A good trivia question from Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings: What are the only two days with no games played in the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL? 

(For non-Americans, those are the four major pro sports in the US - (American) football, baseball, basketball and hockey)

I have no idea but I'll guess Mondays and Wednesdays frown

in other off topic news, Hot Cross Buns ( for Easter ) are now on sale at the supermarket smiley 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086
    edited December 2023

Steve K said:

OK, way off topic.  A good trivia question from Jeopardy! champ Ken Jennings: What are the only two days with no games played in the NFL, MLB, NBA or NHL? 

(For non-Americans, those are the four major pro sports in the US - (American) football, baseball, basketball and hockey)

My guess is the day before and the day after the MLB All Star Game.  Only days I can think of during the summer (no NFL/NHL/NBA) that might not have a baseball game.

Post edited by Diomede on

Stezza said:

Steve K said:

I have no idea but I'll guess Mondays and Wednesdays frown

in other off topic news, Hot Cross Buns ( for Easter ) are now on sale at the supermarket smiley 

I am visiting in Texas.  The closest place advertizing hot crossed buns does not open until 9a.m.   Booo.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-hut-bakery-and-cafe-plano-5

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

My guess is the day before and the day after the MLB All Star Game.  Only days I can think of during the summer (no NFL/NHL/NBA) that might not have a baseball game.

Correct.  I like trivia questions that are hard to Google.  cheeky

Captain’s log, stardate 2024.01.01. We are currently stationed in the Alpha Quadrant, The USS Sanctuary is on a mission to traverse the circumference of this yellow dwarf, It is a hot glowing ball of hydrogen and helium that is about 4.5 billion years old It is located at the center of this solar system and is about 93 million miles (150 million kilometers) away from our present location. Our journey for the first 12 hours has been smooth so far, and we have encountered no obstacles except for some local species that have been terrified by a cultural display of explosions and smoke. The crew is in high spirits after rescuing these frightened sub species and relocating them to a safe domain, we are all excited about the adventures that lie ahead.

As we continue our mission, we will keep you updated on our progress. Until then, live long and prosper.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911
    edited January 14

Happy Birthdy Stezza

in other news, we need a UV offset parameter in the shading room, I mean there is a fart around way to do it under projection mapping but DAZ studio which cannot even animate it has an actual pair of sliders

I am thinking things like river flows etc instead of image series just move the vertical seamless image in a loop

Twinmotion and iClone both have this

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,789

Happy Birthday Stezza !!!

Happy birthday, Dave!

Good suggestion, Wendy.  I guess for a one off a person could select and manually move the UVMap. 

Diomede said:

Happy birthday, Dave!

Good suggestion, Wendy.  I guess for a one off a person could select and manually move the UVMap. 

sadly that cannot be animated

I can do it with projection but that has the disadvantage of not working in Octane

however I can do it also in Octane as it does have parameters for it but stubornely doesn't always work 

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Happy Birthdy Stezza

in other news, we need a UV offset parameter in the shading room, I mean there is a fart around way to do it under projection mapping but DAZ studio which cannot even animate it has an actual pair of sliders

I am thinking things like river flows etc instead of image series just move the vertical seamless image in a loop

Twinmotion and iClone both have this

Wendy, everyone, Carrara 8.5 introduced precisely this tool in the 8.5 release. It can be found in the Shader Room - it is the UV Transform Operator found under Operators > UV Transform. smiley

Yes. I know, trying to get a seamless loop using Flat Mapping...indecision

I'm sorry I have been absent for so long, but I have not left Carrara, just the opposite. I have been down deep deep rabbit holes exlporing these concepts of animated shader VFX for almost a year. I have so much info I could write a small book! I have basically interpolated a ton of concepts from video game authoring software to Carrara's shader.

Meanwhile, I can write up a quickie mini tutorial for exactly what you want. I'm a bit pressed for time I have to go to a friend's house in an hour to set up a wi-fi extender, so if I don't post something soon I will post it later this evening.

Meanwhile, if you explore on your own and you want the UV Transform to loop more than once you have to use an Osciallte Tweener set to 'Sawtooth' and 'Up Phase' set to 100 because the inputs won't allow for anything graeter than 1 or less than -1 for X & Y Offset.

DesertDude oooh never thought to look there and of course 8.5 features not in the manual wink

thanks yes

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190

Ahh, DesertDude just beats me to it. But I have some screenshot to explain how to. I use the operator>UV Transform as the top shader.

And you can animate it.

Carrara ProScreenSnapz023.jpg
    860 x 1437 - 208K
    Carrara ProScreenSnapz024.jpg
    860 x 1437 - 208K
    Carrara ProScreenSnapz025.jpg
    860 x 1437 - 209K
  • RuudLRuudL Posts: 190

@Stezza Congrats and many happy returns.

RuudL said:

Ahh, DesertDude just beats me to it. But I have some screenshot to explain how to. I use the operator>UV Transform as the top shader.

And you can animate it.

yes that would do what I want yes 

am I in an alternate Carrara Universe?

It's not my birthday as far as I know... cool

but thanks anyways and in lieu of gifts a paypal donation will suffice devil

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

This thread is dangerously close to veering on topic.

ooops that was me misinterpreting your log about the trip around the sun

WendyLuvsCatz said:

ooops that was me misinterpreting your log about the trip around the sun

Make that a double ooops, anyway happy birthday for when it's your birthday !

edited January 16

@DesertDude and @Ruudl, thanks for the tip.  Had no idea that function existed.  There is always more to learn.  Thanks for the instructions!  And wave to say Hello.  smiley 

Post edited by Diomede on

Managed to get the old Laptop running faster so have installed Carrara and will be able to run a bit more when I have to shut down the graphics computer due to heat.

Is a very basic old laptop so won't be doing anything high memory !!!

Had to install to C:\Carrara as my anti-virus nuked the Program files installation....

Bunyip02 said:

Managed to get the old Laptop running ... 

I also have an OLD Win7 laptop that I keep running just to maintain my GTA5 status (the map is complete, I just like to bomb around town sometimes, maybe do a jump).  I usually leave it in sleep mode, but I had to reboot today for other reasons and got the dreaded DOS repair sequence which ran for about ten hours.  (!)  This has happened before, and as before it did finish, we'll see if anything still works ... cheeky

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

Steve K said:

Bunyip02 said:

I also have an OLD Win7 laptop that I keep running just to maintain my GTA5 status (the map is complete, I just like to bomb around town sometimes, maybe do a jump).  I usually leave it in sleep mode, but I had to reboot today for other reasons and got the dreaded DOS repair sequence which ran for about ten hours.  (!)  This has happened before, and as before it did finish, we'll see if anything still works ... cheeky

I still use a 14-year-old Win 7 laptop as my primary machine. I keep buying dead ones on eBay for parts.  I get much more done on it than on Win 10.

Fixmypcmike said:

Steve K said:

Bunyip02 said:

I still use a 14-year-old Win 7 laptop as my primary machine. I keep buying dead ones on eBay for parts.  I get much more done on it than on Win 10.

After a reboot, my old laptop finally finished the LONG DOS repair and Windows came up, GTAV did run.  The Ebay parts reminds me of NASA several years back putting out requests for 486 chips to replace some in something.  But they wanted new ones, preferably in a box with lots of them.  Good luck.

so, I thought I'd get my old laptop out, about 13 years old and hardly used... I think the power supply is stuffed... it's the second one I've bought since I've had it.. it won't charge the battery.. oh well... and won't run the laptop on it's own.. crying

Stezza said:

so, I thought I'd get my old laptop out, about 13 years old and hardly used... I think the power supply is stuffed... it's the second one I've bought since I've had it.. it won't charge the battery.. oh well... and won't run the laptop on it's own.. crying

The battery on my laptop is Kaput but it runs okay on mains power

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

mine too but does not run well either, overheats

is 15 years old Dell Inspiron and I thrashed it rendering in Carrara 

has Linux Mint installed now but I cannot get the WiFi driver to work (yes grabbed a Linux one and tried all the suggestions)

Oh no, computer problems suck.  I should check on some old equipment I have lying around.  

is that day again

Eeeeeekkkk......

Extensions troubles on the Laptop.

Copied all of my extensions from my Graphics computer over to my Laptop thinking that since they were running okay it would be all smooth sailing.

When I tried starting Carrara I got a nasty Error message.

Deleted all the extensions and copied a base install extensions into the Laptop.

Next started the time consuming process of adding the extensions one by one till I found what was causing the error.

Fortunately number 4 on the list proved to be the problem - removed it and added the rest, now working fine.

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

I thought it may of been the battery so I eBayed a new one... still not charging... the charger that was only just over 12 months old and hardly used is stuffed... after I checked it with the multi meter ( should of done that in the first place ) so eBayed a new charger but different brand and it came in this week and works ( for now )

booted up and updated the OS Win10 no probs... guess I'll pack it away now and check it again in 12 months time  angel