Off Topic Thread #2

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,778

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

so, I thought I'd get my old laptop out, about 13 years old and hardly used... I think the power supply is stuffed... it's the second one I've bought since I've had it.. it won't charge the battery.. oh well... and won't run the laptop on it's own.. crying

The battery on my laptop is Kaput but it runs okay on mains power

I thought it may of been the battery so I eBayed a new one... still not charging... the charger that was only just over 12 months old and hardly used is stuffed... after I checked it with the multi meter ( should of done that in the first place ) so eBayed a new charger but different brand and it came in this week and works ( for now )

booted up and updated the OS Win10 no probs... guess I'll pack it away now and check it again in 12 months time  angel

Good news - it's nice to have a spare !!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,905

Bunyip02 said:

Eeeeeekkkk......

Extensions troubles on the Laptop.

Copied all of my extensions from my Graphics computer over to my Laptop thinking that since they were running okay it would be all smooth sailing.

When I tried starting Carrara I got a nasty Error message.

Deleted all the extensions and copied a base install extensions into the Laptop.

Next started the time consuming process of adding the extensions one by one till I found what was causing the error.

Fortunately number 4 on the list proved to be the problem - removed it and added the rest, now working fine.

it's an ongoing issue for me, not so much the crashing, that does happen with some, but conflicts more common

what worked on my first C:drive now doesn't on my new one

some things work on my Win7 not my Win10

Mimic messing up Octane render plugin or other plugins clashing with others

I am juggling projects between the beta and release all the time

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

Eeeeeekkkk......

Extensions troubles on the Laptop.

Copied all of my extensions from my Graphics computer over to my Laptop thinking that since they were running okay it would be all smooth sailing.

When I tried starting Carrara I got a nasty Error message.

Deleted all the extensions and copied a base install extensions into the Laptop.

Next started the time consuming process of adding the extensions one by one till I found what was causing the error.

Fortunately number 4 on the list proved to be the problem - removed it and added the rest, now working fine.

it's an ongoing issue for me, not so much the crashing, that does happen with some, but conflicts more common

what worked on my first C:drive now doesn't on my new one

some things work on my Win7 not my Win10

Mimic messing up Octane render plugin or other plugins clashing with others

I am juggling projects between the beta and release all the time

Hello Wendy, your setup sounds like an ongoing PITA.

Both of my computers are Win 10 so I thought copying over working plugins would be a breeze.

The plugin that caused the Carrara install to chuck a wobbly on the Laptop works fine on the Graphics computer, so must be some setting it does not like on the Laptop.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

Computer compatibility is so frustrating.  Sorry to hear about the troubles.  Argh.  angry

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Diomede said:

Computer compatibility is so frustrating.  Sorry to hear about the troubles.  Argh.  angry

I always dread the thought of a new computer.  My philosophy has been to buy a powerful machine for Carrara animations (most recently 12 core CPU/24 threads, good graphics card), get all the software installed (a major task, the main source of new computer dread), and drive it til the wheels fall off.  It's not cheap, especially custom built locally, no bloatware, but in the long run (many years, hopefully) I think less expensive and frustrating.   

Taking the Amtrak train from Little Rock to Dallas tonight.  The distance bus companies no longer serve downtown Little Rock.  Greyhound (owned by Flix now) suggests I leave out of a town that is more than 50 miles away.  (80 K).  So while I am glad that I still have the Amtrak train as an option, I am not so glad that the only westbound train comes through at 3:30 am.  sad  Taking my laptop with me so may get a chance to do some small projects.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Diomede said:

I am glad that I still have the Amtrak train as an option ... 

For now, anyway.  

"This train got the disappearing railroad blues ... "

"City Of New Orleans", Steve Goodman

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 190
    edited February 10

I'm wondering how @Philemo_Carrara is doing. He has not log in for more than a year according to his profile (januari 4, 2023).

I hope all is well with him.

Post edited by RuudL on

yeah I am concerned too

are a few other regulars that have vanished

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

Just wondering... can any of our USA Carrarians buy me this and send it to me? yes

I'd buy it but they don't ship outside of the USA

Cricket ~ Washington Freedom: Fan Jersey 2023 size 4XL

well it seems my Win7 machine has died crying

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh-no - not good ....

edited February 11

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh-no - not good ....

yeah no more VWD, won't work on Win10

Carrara throws an error if I even stick the extension in 

guess I needed the new drive I got the other day for all the DAZ studio obj series exports of Dforce sims for DCG obj series importer

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh-no - not good ....

guess I needed the new drive I got the other day for all the DAZ studio obj series exports of Dforce sims for DCG obj series importer

With VWD is that the original version or the updated version ?

Sounds like the new drive was a blessing !

edited February 11

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh-no - not good ....

original but it's Philemo's bridge that is the issue

the extension 

and I gain 2 4TB external drives from my Win7 I guess

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Oh-no - not good ....

original but it's Philemo's bridge that is the issue

the extension 

and I gain 2 4TB external drives from my Win7 I guess

Hmmm, VWD was on my wishlist - might need to reconsider ....

Anyone else running VWD on Win 10 without any problems ?

well Sagan by TheMysteryIsThePoint exports obj series nicely and they are not heavy in Carrara as the Digital Carvers Guild importer loads only one each frame

just a big folder of objs to find room for

I managed to get my Win7 to boot by unplugging my DLink, it's still flaky but I can at least now copy files off it so doing so.

I am wondering if those fanless mini PC can run Windows 7 and Carrara

if I can run Windows unregistered I have all my OEM discs (obviously need buy a disc drive too)

it would solve the VWD dilemma and could sit next to my Win10 to share files by ethernet cable, even use my modem 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I managed to get my Win7 to boot by unplugging my DLink, it's still flaky but I can at least now copy files off it so doing so.

I am wondering if those fanless mini PC can run Windows 7 and Carrara

if I can run Windows unregistered I have all my OEM discs (obviously need buy a disc drive too)

it would solve the VWD dilemma and could sit next to my Win10 to share files by ethernet cable, even use my modem 

Good news !!!

My turn for computer woes ......

E-Drive on my Graphics computer is cactus. Tried 4 different ways to resurrect it but its kaput maximus.

Fortunately have a backup, while not up-to-date it will save me lots of drama.

Next bit I will need to wait a month before I replace it, so no Graphics computer renders till then. Have the laptop as backup so that will keep me occupied !!!

oh bugger crying

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,819

Bunyip02 said:

E-Drive on my Graphics computer is cactus. Tried 4 different ways to resurrect it but its kaput maximus.

Next bit I will need to wait a month before I replace it, so no Graphics computer renders till then. Have the laptop as backup so that will keep me occupied !!!

make sure to check the lead, I thought mine was gone once till I swapped over a lead.. enlightened 

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

make sure to check the lead, I thought mine was gone once till I swapped over a lead.. enlightened 

Will get a techie to check it but am not hopeful.

Computer was making weird noises when it got to about 28 degrees C in my room, originally thought it was one of the fans playing up.

Also about 3 weeks ago an automatic repair disk popped up when I started my computer.

Now when I start my computer and go to Explorer am getting a message "E:\ is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error."

Looks like the drive was on the way out.

Was planning to replace it with an 8TB drive anyway as it was running out of storage space.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh bugger crying

+1

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

Bunyip02 said:

Will get a techie to check it but am not hopeful.

Computer was making weird noises when it got to about 28 degrees C in my room, originally thought it was one of the fans playing up.

Also about 3 weeks ago an automatic repair disk popped up when I started my computer.

Now when I start my computer and go to Explorer am getting a message "E:\ is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error."

Looks like the drive was on the way out.

Was planning to replace it with an 8TB drive anyway as it was running out of storage space.

Woohoo - E-drive got a second wind !!!

First of all only some of E-Drive was showing as accessable with the rest getting an error message that they were corrupt.

Turned off the computer and went down town to do some shopping, turned the computer back on and everthing seems to be working.

Been doing backups of all my recent stuff that I can remember doing.

Stezza - will get that Techie to check for a loose cable just in case your hunch is right !

my dead drive from last year sadly still lights up so I know it's not the cable

edited February 17

Downloaded a program called CrystalDiskInfo.

E-drive copped a Bad rating

E-drive health 1.png
    676 x 838 - 89K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • WendyLuvsCatz said:

my dead drive from last year sadly still lights up so I know it's not the cable

Power and data are not the same, though.

edited February 18

I already tried it on my old laptop using Linux crying

I can detect it with some tools but it shows zero data and space

it has 3 cables from working drives that fit it and still nothing

can see it in device manager but that's all