Making of my next scene. How I work with bryce

Comments

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Step eight : working on some foreground vegetations, I run xfrog and search into the Oceania packages to find some good tropical vegetation. I export them to 3ds format and then load the textures into photoshop to scale them down. I don't need a 4000 per 4000 pixels map for palms fans and it'll cost a lot of memory usage.

Here are some few examples :

Absolutely right! It seems to me that for leaves enough 512x512 or even 256x256 pixels.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    @slepalex : nicely done for a normal render mode. I'll try to render my scene in this mode with a fill light but I don't think I'll get improvement and, expect your works, I'm usually bored with normal render mode in bryce, I prefer IBL and T.A mode.

@mermaid : great! Good work here! try to adjust your camera closer to the beach ground to avoid the visible polygon edge of the the foam and the beach. The background Island seems to be on the foreground here, maybe a little scale problem too but generally a good approach in your try to reproduce my work!

To all : I'm going to upload my work in a Dropbox link and I will put it here in this tread when it's done. The scene will include the beach, the sea, the background Island and... my Thaï boat for you to play with.

Thanks, I do have problems making nice landscape renders, scale, lighting, placing the objects, so I'm enjoying this exercise. Looking forward to downloading your file. :-)

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited April 2015

slepalex said:
    c-ram said:
    Step eight : working on some foreground vegetations, I run xfrog and search into the Oceania packages to find some good tropical vegetation. I export them to 3ds format and then load the textures into photoshop to scale them down. I don't need a 4000 per 4000 pixels map for palms fans and it'll cost a lot of memory usage.

Here are some few examples :

Absolutely right! It seems to me that for leaves enough 512x512 or even 256x256 pixels.

Yes alex, I'm using 256 per 256 pixels resolution like you. However, if the model is taking to much memory in bryce because of its mesh, I save it as .obj file from xfrog to reduce it with meshlab before import it to Bryce.

I must rewrite my sentence when I say that I'm usually bored with normal mode render. I'm bored with MINE but, with bryce, everyone must have its own way and its own style so.. if I could write that T.A mode is my render style, I will be proud because since Bryce 7 exist, I'll never get back to another render mode even if other renders from other users using other approach looks great. I don't know if I'm using the right way to lighting a scene or composing it, all I know is that I'm still enjoying the way I'm doing it.

Post edited by c-ram on
    edited April 2015

Step nine : I have added the palm tree to the foreground of my scene and my boat. Well, the beach need debris (palm fans) and more vegetation, in the next step I'm going to populate more the foreground. In parallel, I am thinking about a way to put a "thaï rock" on the sea so I'm going to model it. Working time about 1 hour and 9 hours to render.

Like I've promised you, here is my scene able for download :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p90e13jkb0945l9/island_for_daz_forum.br7?dl=0

To load it, you've got to run bryce with large adress aware so you need above 8 gb of memory and a high end processor is recommended (intel i7).

Post edited by c-ram on
    edited April 2015

Hi C-ram there seems to be a problem, I can't download the file. I get the 404 error.

ETA. Copied and pasted the link to a browser and it works, downloading it now. :red:

Thanks for sharing :-)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

the link dosnt seem to work for me, the drop box site loads...but 404 error is all i have showing :(

edited December 1969

Hi Tim, I had the same problem, but I copied and pasted the link in a new window and it worked.

edited December 1969

thanks for the tip mermaid, i just tried that and that didn't work for me either, i also tried opening it using IE, as i am using chrome :)

edited December 1969

@ Tim bateman : I see that you've got trouble while trying to download my file from dropbox so I'm going to upload it again but this time without space between words because it seems that it doesn't work for some reasons.. I've read at some forum talking about dropbok and it seems that generating links is sometime giving wrong URL request.

Sorry for that.

edited April 2015

thank you for that and its not your fault, has the scene got much more to go before you decide its is done....I am really looking forward to seeing the end result of this :)

Post edited by Tim82 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited December 1969

You should never put spaces in a link address as most software and browsers wont show it. They only see the part up to the space as the link and ignore everything after it. It is better to put a hyphen or underscore in place of any spaces. You also shouldn't use #, /, \, ! or ? as these are commands and are read differently by the software.

edited December 1969

C-ram I had no problems downloading it, I'm using Firefox

I spent the evening and this morning studying the scene from the different views. I always thought that most objects had to be on the ground as in ground zero, so I learnt something new about setting up a scene. Now I'm working on setting up my scene a bit on the lines you used.

Thanks once again for sharing the scene :-)

edited December 1969

Here is the link, hoping that it work this time because I haven't got the time to test it right now. So, just tell me!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa9rrhlh5g7pi07/islandfordazforum.br7?dl=0

edited December 1969

thank you for taking the time to change the link, it works perfectly for me now :)

edited December 1969

C-ram – I enjoyed studying your scene very educational. :-)

What is the best way to grab just the Thai boat, I would like to add it to my scene. To me it seems like you have a terrain intersecting the boat, but I would be wrong.

Thanks for sharing. :)

edited December 1969

Step ten : sorry for not being around this last days, I've got lot of work in my own job so, haven't got so much time to put fingers on my mouse to continue the project. I have just take few hours to create palm fans bebris on the beach. You can see the result on the render I have post.

Well, finally, I'm in holidays for few days this next week. Yesterday night, I've run into modeling the thaï rock but I haven't merge it to the main scene yet.

It's composed of bryce rocks but, because of their low poly resolution, I've convert them to mesh and then export to wings3D to smooth the object.

Re-import it to Bryce to apply a simple rock material and to populate it with a bryce shrub I've done.

I have work 4 hours and a half, the rock file saved is taking about 58 mb.

@mermaid: the thaï boat is composed of mesh intersected with bryce terrain to provide the body material (I am not familiar with UV mapping).

baie_rock3.jpg
    533 x 800 - 359K
    island_9.jpg
    1710 x 570 - 812K
    edited December 1969

Wow C-ram the render is awesome. Looking forward to the final render. :-)

edited December 1969

@ C-ram, its looking great so far, i really like the rock as well that looks amazing :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

This thread is really very interesting and the scene develops nicely. I'm a bit absorbed by another project, hence my silence. Just keep it up, I'm watching.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited December 1969

Looks very good so far. The rock is great, but maybe the shrubs are a bit dark. You may want to have a good look at that in the final composition. I realy like the boat and the POV!

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Still watching with great interest and have already learned a lot! Thanks, Art

edited April 2015

@Mermaid : Thank you! We are far from the final render, it stays a lot of details to add here and I still have got memory for that so. Oh, one question for you : did you finally arrive to pick up the thaï boat? If not and if that's a problem, I'll upload it separately in another link.

@Horo : really happy that you're one of the followers on this project!

@Hansmar : you're right, the shrubs are a little bit too dark here, I'll change the textures sooner.

@TimBateman : thank you!

@Fencepost : glad to hear that you're learning from this thread.

Step 11 : I have merge the rock and place it in the center of my scene and finally decide to shift my background island a bit to the right. I have also add my tropical shrub and hit render Sunday morning. Here's the result.

I've got an idea, I think I am going to add birds flying to their nests around my rock. More vegetation on the foreground with probably a DOF effect.

Well, a lot of work to come.

File size about 337 mb and I have work about 3 hours.

screen_captur_7_337mb.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 919K
    Post edited by c-ram on
    edited April 2015

c-ram said:
    @Mermaid : Thank you! We are far from the final render, it stays a lot of details to add here and I still have got memory for that so. Oh, one question for you : did you finally arrive to pick up the thaï boat? If not and if that's a problem, I'll upload it separately in another link.

Yes I managed to grab the boat and placed it in my scene. Now are working on the rock. My scene is not going to be as elaborate as yours It will be nice to see what I can come up with eventually. :)

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@ Mermaid, are you going to share your results when your finished ? ....i for one would very much like to see what you have done :)

edited December 1969

@Mermaid : nice! I'll be proud to see what you've done and to give you my advices if you like. I'm going to publish the next step tonight. Not a real improvement because I only add birds in the sky but to let you see the way it look.

edited December 1969

@ C-ram, I am sure it is going to look great, it already dose now....so any additions to the scene would just be a bonus i think :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Tim and C-ram, yes I will post my work. :-)

I still have a lot to do, like adding the foreground trees etc. The only changes I made to the render post #57 is add the boat and reposition the island and camera. Now I'm working on the thai rock. I searched for a freebie, but could not find any so I'm challenging myself to make one in Bryce based on this image

thailand_rock_5_3d_model_fbx_obj_max_0a52f97c-dd8b-4161-8383-9c73eec0cd07.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 213K
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid : yes, a hard challenge for the rock. You could use latice to create that piece. I think that this cliff was made in Vue, it has got so many functions to generate that kind of shapes easily.

edited December 1969

Step 12 : just adding the birds above the rock. They are low poly and I have replicate them three times.

Here's the result.

island_11.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 492K
    birds.jpg
    1200 x 700 - 212K
    edited December 1969

Now I'm working on some vegetation for the foreground and I have choose a little shrub from xfrog Oceania bundle and some tomatoes from agriculture one.

I'm going to instance them on my beach by using the instance function from edit : instance (CTRL - I). That will give me the possibility to replicate the objects while using less memory.

Tomato.jpg
    1200 x 700 - 373K
    palm_shrub.jpg
    1200 x 700 - 529K