Making of my next scene. How I work with bryce

Comments

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited December 1969

the birds look great, and i think the new vegetation will be awesome also :)

@ Mermaid, i wish you luck working on your rock piece :)

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited April 2015

Wow C-ram really stunning work

etd. Thanks Tim.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited April 2015

c-ram said:
    @Mermaid : yes, a hard challenge for the rock. You could use latice to create that piece. I think that this cliff was made in Vue, it has got so many functions to generate that kind of shapes easily.

Making the rock was a bit difficult, I went from using rocks as you mentioned, then lattice and eventually used two terrains and this is what I came up with. Not like the image but I think it does make a nice thai rock. :) I’m not sure about the material, after trying many materials from the library and re-mixing some, I settled for the Wet Rock from the presets. Now to add the shrubs.

There are so many 3D programs it's mind-blogging. I only use Bryce and Wings.

One question – is there any special reason why you set your scene high up for example the ground plane is at Y position 1263.06

Thanks once again for starting this thread, my few remaining gray cells are enjoying the “workout”. ;-)

thairock1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 14K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

@Mermaid : yes!! Your thaï rock is really good looking! Material is looking good too. It's hard to try to reproduce material like in the original picture and.. yes I think that's impossible. But you did a great job! Good luck to populate this rock. You don't need to instance lots of trees on it. Try to maintain alt key down to make your instance trees following the shape of the terrain/latice.

edited December 1969

C-ram - Thanks for the tip. I played with instancing yesterday and got the shrubs all over the place. I know Horo has some pdf's on his site about instancing, I'll download them and take it from there.

edited April 2015

Step 13 : here's the foreground with DOF effect. I think it really add realism to the scene.

Now it's time to wonder how this project will turn into.. so what I see is that the left side of the picture is empty. I'm going to select an other palm tree to fill it and probably add another thaï rock.

@Mermaid : yes, horos tutorial for instancing lab is a good source of information. You can also have a look at Kine Magik tutorial :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13931/

island_13.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 484K
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Mark, too big boat in the frame! It is necessary to reduce the boat is 5 times or move the camera.

edited December 1969

@ Slepalex, I think the scale of the boat is exactly how it should be, it adds scale and also a focal point ....also did you not read the title of this thread ? ...."How I work with bryce"

@ C-ram, great job with the scene so far, it looks awesome :)

edited December 1969

@slepalex : I don't think there's a scale problem with the boat but I will reduce it and do a crop render to see how it can look. Hum, 5 times? This is going to be a very small boat don't you think?

@Tim Bateman : Thank you for your encouragements!

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    @slepalex : I don't think there's a scale problem with the boat but I will reduce it and do a crop render to see how it can look. Hum, 5 times? This is going to be a very small boat don't you think?

I just had the artistic and compositional side of the issue. Look at your reference at the beginning of this topic. There boats don't occupy considerable part of the square of a picture. The boat is a supplement of the landscape, but not the main part of it.

edited December 1969

@ Slepalex, yeah sorry...i didn't mean to get snappy or be mean...i was just trying to say that im sure c ram really appreciates the advice, I don't really think it is needed on this particular thread, again I apologise if that sounds mean or harsh, i don't mean it to be that way

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

I just wanted to pop in and show my support. This thread is really clever and it is nice to know what other people do with Bryce. Do keep it up!

edited April 2015

@slepalex : I have put references at the beginning of this topic just to show what sort of element can be used to compose the scene. Boats in those pictures are just not really on the foreground like I have choose to put mine.

However, you're right, the boat is a little bit too big so I have reduce it. I have also try to reduce it five time like you have suggest but I was unhappy with the result because, if I do it, I will also have to reduce all the vegetation from the palm trees to the shrubs.

So, here is a new version of my render with the boat reduced.

@TimBateman : thanks for being around!

@Rachad Carter : glad to see you here and hope that you enjoy following this thread. Also, thank you very much for your support!

island_new_boat.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 474K
    Post edited by c-ram on
    edited December 1969

c-ram said:
    Step 13 : here's the foreground with DOF effect. I think it really add realism to the scene.

Now it's time to wonder how this project will turn into.. so what I see is that the left side of the picture is empty. I'm going to select an other palm tree to fill it and probably add another thaï rock.

@Mermaid : yes, horos tutorial for instancing lab is a good source of information. You can also have a look at Kine Magik tutorial :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13931/

C-ram thanks, I downloaded both the pdfs from Horo’s site, the one by Rashad Carter and Kine Magik and some other IB files. But the old brains doesn’t comprehend so well. :down: learn more by looking than reading. It was mainly trial and error and after many crashes I got the thai rock in my scene. Now to find some nice tropical plants, (I found some at Share CG) and a flock of birds.

Your scene is beautiful.

edited December 1969

xFrog is giving away a new batch of samples. I think I will download those and use some from there for my foreground vegetation.

http://xfrog.com/category/samples.html

edited December 1969

Sorry this is not a new batch of samples from xFrog, I think they were given a few months ago, but this time I downloaded all that I don't have.

Now I have some nice vegetation for the foreground and a flock of birds. I found this video by Horo Using Cloudscape 4 which is going to be useful to bring one of David's cloudscapes into the scene. I'm in for a fun filled weekend. :)

edited April 2015

@Mermaid : Go on! I am sure that the result is going to be nice! I'm working on another project right now, an order for a customer and I'm near from the end. I'm going to be back in a few time.

Xfrog plants are great for foreground in your scene but sometime you just don't need the full plant resolution. For example in my bryce trees library I've got a big acer with 1 million polygons. Before import it to Bryce I have reduce the polygon factor by three. I've made a render of both at a wide resolution to see if there's a difference between 1 or 3 millions polygons. My conclusion is that there's so much leaves that I just can't tell.

To reduce polygon on a object I always use meshlab, it's really a good tool for doing that.

Post edited by c-ram on
    edited December 1969

Step 14 : after having a break working on an order, here's a quick render of a second rock which is going to take place in the far left background of the scene. It's made of two latices covered by bryce trees. In the next step I'll merge it in the thaï seascape.

bairock9.jpg
    600 x 900 - 351K
    edited December 1969

C-ram thanks for the encouragement. I got distracted after watching Horo’s video mentioned above I will continue working on this project this week.

Thanks for mentioning the Meshlab, I will look into it.

The 2nd Thai rock looks great. :)

edited December 1969

My setup so far, a quick render at 4Rpp. I would appreciate your comments before I render at 36 Rpp which will take a while on my Laptop. This render took almost 3 hours

island-cram7.jpg
    1000 x 400 - 142K
    edited December 1969

wow!!!...very nice mermaid! that turned out great :)

edited December 1969

Thanks Tim :-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - very nice, really. 36 rpp would mean 24 hours. In this size, we can't see whether you used soft shadows. If you use IBL and volume clouds, make sure you exclude the cloud slab from IBL. You may also get away without IBL shadows.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo, my setting are 4RPP, with Soft shadows and boost light Mrd 4; I used the sky c-ram shared in his file with slight adjustments- global shadows 25, cast shadows in Ibl turned off, and the cloudscape is excluded.

I’m very happy about the results but would like a bit more light in the foreground.

Looking forward to seeing c-ram’s final render. :-)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Awesome job, Mermaid!

edited December 1969

@Mermaid : this is another way to see the scene. I can see that you've change the sun position and that's an improvement compare to mine because reflexion on waves are really nice!

Your rock fit perfectly here, however, trees are a little bit to big like birds but that's just my point of view. My Thaï boat is nicely staging, well done!

I'll post the next step this day. You can go on for a render at 36 rays if you're proud.

edited December 1969

Step 15 :

Here's the next render of the scene with the second rock merge in it. I'm now at 3gb of memory usage. I've also put a new palm tree on the left side. We're now near from the end and the last element I'm going to place is a thaï woman with a traditional hat.

Here I've work about 8 hours between positioning the second rock, making several plop renders, moving the boat, etc..

island_14.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 549K
    edited December 1969

looks awesome c-ram, i think you made a good choice about the palm on the left, keep up the great work :)

edited May 2015

Thanks C-ram for the nice comments. Yes I am proud of what I managed to do, considering the fact that I got into this game well into my retirement years and although I love art, I’m not an artist, in the true scene of the word, a natural artist. I was kicked out of art classes because I was so useless :red:, and the art teacher hated abstracts.

It’s thanks to Daz (I grabbed the Bryce Pro 7 when it was very affordable like in free) David, Horo and all the other members of this forum for the help I got making Bryce so enjoyable to use.

I will try to make the trees on the rock a bit smaller before I do the final render.

Your scene is truly magnificent. Love it. :-)

Eta; Thanks Art.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Out of curiosity, do you recall what product the flock of birds is?