Win fake internet points, pick awesome Carrara how-to subjects...

MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hi everyone,

I don't haunt these hallowed halls too often.

You guys have great contests and challenges here. The winning imagery is awesome. Fact.

But, maybe you'd just like a weekly kind of Carrara challenge that's more about how-do-you-do-this type of thing. That's why I'm here.

It's called "'Tis for the GLORY" and will make you exclaim, "I didn't know Carrara could do that!" (IDKCCDT)

The winner will get awarded thousands of fake internet points and get to pick the next weeks topic.

This week, were doing Seas/Oceans, a topic selected by last weeks winner. Really it's just answering the question, "how do you make decent looking large bodies of water – in, on or under?"

Full-blown scenes are always welcome but so are simple renderings just focusing on the subject at hand.

We post images, question and Carrara files to play with.

Check it out at the Renderosity Carrara forum.

Regards,
Mark Bremmer - below is an image I posted up for viewing water from the top.

SeaDragon1.jpg
1200 x 600 - 200K

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Sounds interesting...

My real interest though is with the "fake internet points". Not familiar with those. Now does that mean if I win I'll be able to redeem them for fake prizes? Cuz that sounds pretty awesome. That opens up a whole new world of cool stuff....fake software, fake gadgets like smartphones and tablets...that is seriously kewl. :) :) :) :)

Honestly, that is bordering on the kewl-ness of stuff like internet "likes", which honestly I never really understood. But I think they're similar...if you get enough "likes" you can redeem them for fake internet prizes and stuff. Kewl. But I'm certainly not an expert on this, so I could be wrong. :) :) :) :)

• MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited March 2015

@JoeMamma2000, you just earned 1,500 fake internet points merely for asking a sensible question. And yes, you can cash them in for valuable, totally fake, made-up prizes too. Maybe I can put together some grandiose emblem or something. Just because.

In fact, any fake prizes may actually be made with Carrara. Do you need a wrist watch that also makes a complete pizza? Just asking.

Post edited by MarkBremmer on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Hey, Joe, didn't you know, it's how many, Likes, you get before you die that matters most? Somehow tweetering factors into it as well... ;-)

edited December 1969

BTW Mark, that sounds like a cool challenge. If I wasn't fighting a nasty head cold right now, I might take a stab at it. There are some nice things being done for it so far.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited December 1969

Hi everyone,

I don't haunt these hallowed halls too often.

You guys have great contests and challenges here. The winning imagery is awesome. Fact.

But, maybe you'd just like a weekly kind of Carrara challenge that's more about how-do-you-do-this type of thing. That's why I'm here.

It's called "'Tis for the GLORY" and will make you exclaim, "I didn't know Carrara could do that!" (IDKCCDT)

The winner will get awarded thousands of fake internet points and get to pick the next weeks topic.

This week, were doing Seas/Oceans, a topic selected by last weeks winner. Really it's just answering the question, "how do you make decent looking large bodies of water – in, on or under?"

Full-blown scenes are always welcome but so are simple renderings just focusing on the subject at hand.

We post images, question and Carrara files to play with.

Check it out at the Renderosity Carrara forum.

Regards,
    Mark Bremmer - below is an image I posted up for viewing water from the top.

Wow, that is great. I nominate Varsel's waterfall in this month's challenge #16 right now for 1,000 fake internet points. I think the weekly "quickie" will be a great way to pick up real (not fake) Carrara tips and tricks. Thanks for the heads up.

P.S., Mark, love your tutorials.

edited December 1969

Hey, Joe, didn't you know, it's how many, Likes, you get before you die that matters most? Somehow tweetering factors into it as well... ;-)

Oh, okay...now I'm starting to understand. Does it also tie in to stuff like "post count"? :) :) :) :) And "rep points"? I always assumed that's a pretty good indicator of how awesome a person is.

So really, if you have a lot of fake internet points, and a zillion "likes", and a huge post count, and tons of "rep points", maybe you're automatically the top 2% of totally cool people on the planet. :) :) :) :)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

I've always wanted a fake internet! But please, no Nigerian princes - I've already had two this week. ;)

Didn't realise there was a Carrara section at Rendo. Clearly I need to get out more. I shall check it out (in the morning cos it's way past my bed time)

edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    I've always wanted a fake internet! But please, no Nigerian princes - I've already had two this week. ;)

Didn't realise there was a Carrara section at Rendo. Clearly I need to get out more. I shall check it out (in the morning cos it's way past my bed time)

There tends to be a lot of doom, gloom and conspiracy theories about DAZ and Carrara.....

And yes, I typed that with a straight face and without trying to be ironic. ;-)

edited December 1969

I just posted this underwater scene since there seems to always be a desire for that kind of thing. Using Realistic Skies like you've never used them before!

Sub1d.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 63K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,935
    edited December 1969

wow that's some good work Mark.
    Can we get a link to that weekly challenge if that's okay so people know where to find it?
    You have to promise you wont steal daz's business.;)

edited December 1969

@headwax - I discovered today that links are a no-no since I had a post deleted because of that. But I can say that it is at Renderosity.com in the Carrara Forum and that the name of the challenge thread is "'Tis for the GLORY #2".

And, I promise to not steal business. ;-)

edited December 1969

Morning, off to check it out over some breakfast ... :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

There tends to be a lot of doom, gloom and conspiracy theories about DAZ and Carrara.....

And yes, I typed that with a straight face and without trying to be ironic. ;-)

Yes, it needs some of JM2K's cheery posts, embellished with pretty pink daisies. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes, it needs some of JM2K's cheery posts, embellished with pretty pink daisies. :coolsmirk:

Wow, an admin taking pot shots? Go figure.

I realize I'm fair game for everyone here, and I'm *certain* this was meant in good fun..... :) :) :)

But geez, why not say something nice about my posts on occasion? Y'know, try something new. I do spend a lot of time giving what I think is often useful information and advice. So maybe a thank you or something once in a while would be a nice change of pace, don't you think? It's what everyone here expects from others, so why not try it yourselves?

Or am I totally undeserving? :) :) :)

edited March 2015

Me taking Pot shots? :bug: , now would I ever do a thing like that, as my Avatar shows I prefer using a blunt instrument. :coolgrin:

I do add smileys to my post when I am trying for a degree of humour. :coolsmile:

Of course it would be better if we had a better selection of smileys. Now where's the equivalent of the Skype "wasn't me" one 8-/

Edit to add that often Joe your posts go right over my head, as I am a rank tyro when it comes to Carrara. I do try, but just can't seem to get it to behave the way I think it should. :-/

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Me taking Pot shots? :bug: , now would I ever do a thing like that, as my Avatar shows I prefer using a blunt instrument. :coolgrin:

I do add smileys to my post when I am trying for a degree of humour. :coolsmile:

Of course it would be better if we had a better selection of smileys. Now where's the equivalent of the Skype "wasn't me" one 8-/

Oh, okay...so I'll take that as a "no, I'm not sorry for taking a pot shot at you, and no, I don't intend to say anything nice instead".

Thanks.

edited March 2015

Oh well I will take that as an indication that my typically British, laid back, sense of humour doesn't travel well ( http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/julian-tan/british-humour_b_4013114.html ) and stop derailing Mark's thread. Sorry Mark.

:red:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,954
    edited December 1969

if it gets people using Carrara instead on knocking it, all is good :kiss:

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Oh well I will take that as an indication that my typically British, laid back, sense of humour doesn't travel well ( http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/julian-tan/british-humour_b_4013114.html ) and stop derailing Mark's thread. Sorry Mark.

:red:

Sadly, there's so much US TV over here now that irony seems to be taking a back seat. Even the stand-up comics (I don't enjoy them myself) have gone for punchlines and obscenities. All accompanied by prompted audience laughter. Ugh. :red:

When we lived in the US, we watched BBC America and Britcoms, etc on PBS or A&E (Arts & Entertainment, not Accident & Emergency) 8-/

Back here, husband seems to want to watch US shows and if you have cable or satellite, it's hard to get away from them and they are only a half-season behind for the well known ones. I do love Bones, though!

Husband is Welsh, Chohole... I think the Welsh (and the Irish) have a better sense of humour than the English or Scots (well, maybe Billy Connolly when he's not swearing himself blue!) %-P

It's interesting here to see so many different nationalities participating in the forum. I definitely know there are two posters who do wonders with English when it's not their first language. And they are helpful and fun, too!

:kiss: Silene

edited December 1969

No, no. The goal is to make smileys out of water or liquid to focus on using Carrara to make watery things. Even of oceanic proportions.

Hmmm, I may have to try that before the work cranks up this morning...

edited March 2015

No, no. The goal is to make smileys out of water or liquid to focus on using Carrara to make watery things. Even of oceanic proportions.

Hmm could give a whole new meaning to the expression "A watery smile" :coolsmirk:

Husband is Welsh, Chohole... I think the Welsh (and the Irish) have a better sense of humour than the English or Scots (well, maybe Billy Connolly when he's not swearing himself blue!) %-P

I am typical British mongrel, Scots, Irish and English by descent, Welsh by marriage and now location (hence adopted Welsh)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,088
    edited December 1969

As the proud owner of the full "Benny Hill Show" collection, I can confidently report that we Americans adore sophisticated humor from the British Isles. :lol:

I know we had a big discussion of water shaders recently, but I can't remember where. This weekly exercise can be a great place to doodle - and learn. Wish I had thought of it first.

edited December 1969

Like a lot of discussions it starts on one thing and morphs into something else. The most recent water discussion (i think) was on the render thread, starting around page 52, where a discussion on green leaf shadows evolved into ripples or waves for my pond - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43528/P765

Never thought I'd hear the words "Benny Hill" and "Sophisticated" in one sentence!

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited December 1969

We have very seldom on the occasion to laugh with American films, they prefer all to break and then make morals !
    On the other hand, I adore English humor (hmm, Mister Bean…).

I was very angry when they removed the original thread of Mark Bremmer, after all that he do for our community !
    But now, I see that the sea joins us together and it' s better like that !

edited December 1969

Ok, just another little something I put together to get the mind turning on using Seas/Oceans as a starting point...

OceanBox2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 51K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2015

Smileys out of water? Un-possible.

Smile.jpg
    1000 x 934 - 103K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited March 2015

:-D

Oh, wait. I think I made a mistake. This one is made out of land.

smileyIsle.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 162K
    Post edited by MarkBremmer on
    edited December 1969

Happy lands :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

This is just a quick WIP from lunchtime (okay, slightly extended lunch ;)). The bottle is just a vertex cylinder, squeezed in the right places and thickness added. Inside is an ocean primitive, converted to vertex and scaled down. I used boolean operators to fit it into the bottle. The base is just a box model. There is no stopper on the bottle. I think you may see where this is going...

Only default glass/wood/water shaders at the mo.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-19_at_13.59_.06_.png
    1089 x 560 - 284K
    edited December 1969

Super. This is how lunch should be spent - provided it's not warm and sunny and you don't have a bottle of wine and good company.