Win fake internet points, pick awesome Carrara how-to subjects...

Comments

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    edited December 1969

My image of water from the top (Mediterranean Sea) and a funny water scene (Follow me!)

follow_me2014.jpg
    1800 x 1250 - 1M
    mediterranean_sea.jpg
    1500 x 910 - 1M
  • MarkBremmerMarkBremmer Posts: 190
    edited March 2015

pimpy said:
    My image of water from the top (Mediterranean Sea) and a funny water scene (Follow me!)

These are awesome!

Make sure they are also posted in the Renderosity.com Carrara Forum in the "'Tis for the GLORY #2" thread since that is where the challenge is.

Fantastic.

Post edited by MarkBremmer on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    edited December 1969

A little bit further before bed.

Now I need to figure out particle emitters for the water sloshing out of the bottle...

Bottle.jpg
    1280 x 800 - 477K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,044
    edited December 1969

Use meta-balls in your emitter!

Bikini-Car-wash-GI.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Now I need to figure out particle emitters for the water sloshing out of the bottle...

Meta blobs are excellent for animation. Good call EP.

For stills, I've had the best luck with either a spline or vertex model that I apply a texture map to with displacement. (which can actually be animated too). In "'Tis for the Glory #1" I did that with a tornado. I posted the .car file for it if you want to pop open the file and se how it's done – it wouldn't take much to convert the technique to water. There is always multiple ways to do things. And, that's the beauty of Carrara.

If you are interested in animated displacement maps, check out this little water doodle I did in *cough* 2006 with Carrara 4. WaterfallThingy

Now, it's back to work, even though it's MY bedtime. Thanks deadlines.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,937
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

Meta blobs are excellent for animation. Good call EP.

For stills, I've had the best luck with either a spline or vertex model that I apply a texture map to with displacement. (which can actually be animated too). In "'Tis for the Glory #1" I did that with a tornado. I posted the .car file for it if you want to pop open the file and se how it's done – it wouldn't take much to convert the technique to water. There is always multiple ways to do things. And, that's the beauty of Carrara.

If you are interested in animated displacement maps, check out this little water doodle I did in *cough* 2006 with Carrara 4. WaterfallThingy

Now, it's back to work, even though it's MY bedtime. Thanks deadlines.

fine work Mark

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,264
    edited December 1969

Super. This is how lunch should be spent - provided it's not warm and sunny and you don't have a bottle of wine and good company.
    Agreed! ;)
    edited December 1969

Well it's rendering, for good or ill, and I'm off to the movies for the evening. Maybe it'll be done when I get back...

edited March 2015

DUDU.car won the "'Tis for the GLORY #1" challenge last week and look what he got – a handsome .png file that can be proudly displayed in a digital folder somewhere.

Honor him and genuflect in his general direction.

•••But you could be a winner too, and receive all the accolades due a Carrara artist and 3D pixel pusher. It's not too late. We'll judge sometime on Saturday night. If we're not drunk that is.

If you win, someone might buy you a cup of coffee. Plus, you get to pick the next challenge subject.

I mean, just look at this reward. It takes your breath away, doesn't it?

GLORY-1.png
    276 x 82 - 17K
    Post edited by MarkBremmer on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Breathtaking! I got chills when I laid my eyes upon it...

edited December 1969

I do hope this render finishes before the deadline! When I left the house it was 3 hours done and 6 to go. When I got back it was 7 hours done and 12 to go. (that water does rather slow it down!!!)

Still, here's a little smidge in progress :)

Screen_Shot_2015-03-21_at_00.03_.09_.png
    825 x 209 - 307K
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:
    I do hope this render finishes before the deadline! When I left the house it was 3 hours done and 6 to go. When I got back it was 7 hours done and 12 to go. (that water does rather slow it down!!!)

Wow Tim! What we can see so far looks awesome. Now I'm embarrassed by mine. :(

sunset_framed.jpg
    1000 x 504 - 57K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited March 2015

Tim's ship in a bottle looks awesome!

Honestly MDO2010, I thought yours was a photo at fits, looking closely I can see how it might be done in Carrara, but it's easily mistaken for photo real, wouldn't look out of place on a postcard.

That's true of Pimpy's Cliffside shot above too, first time I saw it I thought it was a photo he'd taken while on vacation somewhere exotic.

Post edited by Jonstark on
    edited December 1969

MDO2010 said:

Wow Tim! What we can see so far looks awesome. Now I'm embarrassed by mine. :(

Embarrassment is not allowed.

The sole purpose it to exclaim, "That's cool. How did you do it?" and then learn new craft. And, by craft I mean stupid 3D tricks.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Tim_A said:

One thing that I discovered when I made the waterfall in the challenge, is that if you turn of the refraction on the watershader (in the transparansie channel ) it will render quicker.
    If you also make the waterobject with thicknes, it might help it to look more real, when turning of refraction.

The picture so far looks great. Great idea.

Excuse any writing errors. I am on a tablet in the car.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Evil,
    I know you're proud of that image of the bikini girls, but I will give you a crisp $100 bill if you PLEASE re-pose and re-render it, with the girl on the left NOT in some physically impossible pose, with all of her weight causing her to topple head first into the front quarter panel of the car.

Please. :) :) :)

edited December 1969

Evil,
    I know you're proud of that image of the bikini girls, but I will give you a crisp $100 bill if you PLEASE re-pose and re-render it, with the girl on the left NOT in some physically impossible pose, with all of her weight causing her to topple head first into the front quarter panel of the car.

Please. :) :) :)

I can PM you my address and then when I get the $100.00 I will be glad to do it.

edited December 1969

Seriously, Evil, balance is a KEY aspect of any pose of any type of character. And it's just as easy to do it correctly as it is to do it wrong. You just need to keep "center of gravity" in mind when you're posing your characters. Weight and balance is how people keep from falling over. And even though it seems very easy and natural for us to maintain balance, if you're off by only a couple inches it can mean you fall over.

I know you don't like rules, especially if they come from me, but just consider trying to keep your characters balanced in their poses. It looks so much better. Try not to take it as a personal attack but as a well-intentioned suggestion for consideration. :) :) :)

You can even try the pose yourself first. Take your photo in a mirror or something. It only takes a moment, but it will give you an idea of how to make the pose so it looks believable and natural. I guarantee, it you try to reproduce that girl's pose you will hit your head on something... :) :)

edited December 1969

So, no $100.00? easy come, easy go.

edited December 1969

Is this the same Evil that said in the other thread "For me, the appeal of the challenges isn’t the gift certificate." ?? :) :) :)

What about the joy of doing a good job? Artistic excellence? Doing your best? The joy of learning a craft? Expanding your horizons?

None of that rings a bell for you? :) :) :) :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,099
    edited December 1969

Please don't find center of gravity by examining where it would be if an artist's model was trying to hold a pose. In a snapshot of people in real life, one can't know where the center of gravity should be unless one knows where and how the person will be in the next moment. The running back in the attached pic did not fall over.

Shocking as it may seem, but sexy babes trying to tease while washing a car sometimes move from being over a bucket to being bent over the hood of a car. If so, their center of gravity would not be where one would expect if a sexy babe was trying to hold a pose over a bucket in front of a mirror.

I confirmed this by searching for pics on the internet. The following running back did not fall over even though the center of gravity would be different if a person tried to hold a similar pose in front of a mirror.

Steve-Slaton-running.jpg
    598 x 600 - 159K
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Please don't find center of gravity by examining where it would be if an artist's model was trying to hold a pose. In a snapshot of people in real life, one can't know where the center of gravity should be unless one knows where and how the person will be in the next moment. The running back in the attached pic did not fall over.

Shocking as it may seem, but sexy babes trying to tease while washing a car sometimes move from being over a bucket to being bent over the hood of a car. If so, their center of gravity would not be where one would expect if a sexy babe was trying to hold a pose over a bucket in front of a mirror.

I confirmed this by searching for pics on the internet. The following running back did not fall over even though the center of gravity would be different if a person tried to hold a similar pose in front of a mirror.

NOTE: I first searched for sexy babes washing cars but the TOS wouldn't let me post those. ;-)

edited December 1969

Diomede, what you are referring to is "inertia". Static figures and moving figures have different balance equations because the effect of inertia must be considered with moving characters, like a running back on a football field. All of the forces acting on the character must be in balance.

If you believe that the bikini girl bent in an L shape at the waist, with the weight of both arms and her chest, abdomen, and arms hanging in front of her, balanced by virtually NO weight behind her, is posed realistically and naturally, then I can't argue with you. All I can suggest is you try it yourself.

Your point about considering intertia and motion is a good one, and yes, it explains why, for example, when we are running our center of weight is forward of where it would be if we were standing in a static pose. And the reason is that there is a counter-force of inertia that is keeping us from falling over.

But that only applies in those cases where it applies.

edited December 1969

Is this the same Evil that said in the other thread "For me, the appeal of the challenges isn’t the gift certificate." ?? :) :) :)

What about the joy of doing a good job? Artistic excellence? Doing your best? The joy of learning a craft? Expanding your horizons?

None of that rings a bell for you? :) :) :) :)

Hey, you offered.

BTW, good point diomede.

While it is a still image, it is meant to be a moment in time of a parody. It's a riff on those un-realistic bikini car wash scenes that were all the rage in the late '80s and early '90s teen oriented movies. If you want a more disturbing parody of those scenes, then rent Dodgeball. Frickin' hilarious and so wrong.

Besides, my center of gravity would be different from a pro football player and a model with "super model" proportions. Hell, sometimes my center of gravity is so off, I fall off the crapper. ;-)

edited December 1969

[While it is a still image, it is meant to be a moment in time of a parody. It's a riff on those un-realistic bikini car wash scenes that were all the rage in the late '80s and early '90s teen oriented movies.

Ahhh....okay....

So this is one of those "I considered all the rules when I did this render, but decided in this particular case that the rules of weight and balance were made to be broken because they ignored weight and balance in those 70's flicks..." :) :) :)

Okay, now I get it...

edited December 1969

[While it is a still image, it is meant to be a moment in time of a parody. It's a riff on those un-realistic bikini car wash scenes that were all the rage in the late '80s and early '90s teen oriented movies.

Ahhh....okay....

So this is one of those "I considered all the rules when I did this render, but decided in this particular case that the rules of weight and balance were made to be broken because they ignored weight and balance in those 70's flicks..." :) :) :)

Okay, now I get it...

'80s and early '90s flicks. If it had been the '70s, there would have been smaller boobs and more, shall we say, "fuzz," peaking out around the edges of the bathing suits.

edited December 1969

I am saying if the bikini girl is moving from teasing over the bucket to teasing over the hood of the car, the center of gravity will not be where it would be if the bikini girl was merely holding a pose over the bucket. In fact, the center of gravity would under those circumstances be forward over the bucket closer to the hood of the car and it would appear that she would fall over - unless she then hops/steps/jumps/slinks forward toward the hood.

Looking at a snapshot of people in motion, they have a different center of gravity compared to holding a pose in front of a mirror. You agree. Glad we could reach amicable agreement that holding a pose in front of a mirror is not good advice for finding center of gravity for subjects who are not holding a still pose.

edited December 1969

Why is it so incredibly difficult for people here to just admit, "Y'know, you're right, I didn't consider weight and balance in that pose, and yeah, I guess I learned something" ?

Instead we get these long, drawn out discussions trying to justify stuff with irrelevant side issues.

Fine guys, do what you want. It looks stupid and wrong to anyone with any sense of balance. But if that's fine with you, then party on.

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    I am saying if the bikini girl is moving from teasing over the bucket to teasing over the hood of the car, the center of gravity will not be where it would be if the bikini girl was merely holding a pose over the bucket. In fact, the center of gravity would under those circumstances be forward over the bucket closer to the hood of the car and it would appear that she would fall over - unless she then hops/steps/jumps/slinks forward toward the hood.

Looking at a snapshot of people in motion, they have a different center of gravity compared to holding a pose in front of a mirror. You agree. Glad we could reach amicable agreement that holding a pose in front of a mirror is not good advice for finding center of gravity for subjects who are not holding a still pose.

Just keep repeating to yourself that learning is hard and we're hobbyists that don't know nothin' and you'll be happier with your ignorance. I've been doing it for years. Just ask Joe. :-/

Oops. I forgot: :) :) :) :) :)

edited December 1969

And I thought I would get praise for posting a reference pic of someone paid not to fall over. Oh well, maybe next time.