Is anyone happy with products being broken into parts and sold seperately?

Comments

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

I don't like it. It creates store "clutter."

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Not a fan. Not at all.

• DamselDamsel Posts: 374

Depends on whether they're selling a $20 outfit for $50 because it's a "bundle."

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Why is this even an issue if the items are sold both as a set and individually? As long as the prices for individual items don't add up to be much more than the full set (meaning the individual ones are priced higher), I only see this as a good, additional option.

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519

I like that the option to buy individual parts exists, but not a fan on how it hogs up the store page, some other items go overlooked on release because parts are each their own product and take up half the daily releases sometimes.

I'd rather it be a check-down option under the product page to check/uncheck items to include/exclude from a list or a dropdown, say under the price (and maybe add an icon to the front page to signify that it can be bought in parts).

Just my 2 cents.

V.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

It doesn't bother me, but it all depends on prices and how they handle it. I can totally understand wanting just shoes, that is actually not a bad thing.

But the concern is where Daz takes this concept in the future. Greed kills fun. I bring up gaming a lot, but a lot of things started small and "ok" until suddenly they were not so ok anymore because the companies began to take extreme liberties. Now there are many games that are purposely grind fests so that they can sell items to skip that grind. Things that used to be free like cheat codes are sold as DLC. Seasonal passes have gone out of control, and hey, Daz even tried that themselves. And so on. This is the concern from me. This may seem all innocent right now, but will it stay that way? Perhaps you think this line of of thought is crazy, but is it?

Like maybe in a year they will sell shoes in parts. Shoelaces, the soles. Oh god a heel, just the literal heel by itself (actually, a heel by itself would probably sell like hot cakes in this place <.< ). Or a hood from a jacket. Not the jacket, just the hood. And of course prices go up on the full set because it is a "mega bundle" that has 10 or 20 pieces in it. Look at all the items in the massive mega bundle! And there will almost certainly be some padding on bundles, using breakout items to make them look bigger.

I am skeptical...because why wouldn't I be?

I also agree that the items hog a lot screen space on the store pages. And some of the pieces are pretty silly to be sold separately because they are so tiny or clearly made to be used with the rest of the set. 

• TogireTogire Posts: 402

While bundling assets like that may have some advantage, it is a new opportunity to have assets packaged in an insane way.

For instance, if you look at the readmes of the recently released X-Fashion Styish Outfit Bundle https://www.daz3d.com/x-fashion-stylish-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-females-bundle you can see that item organization is a real brain-damage.

Some subitems are put in "...Clothing/xtrat-3D/X Fashion Stylish Set" while others are in "...Clothing/Daz Original/X Fashion Stylish Set"

X-Fashion Stylish Outfit Bra for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females (Core)

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:xtrart-3d:X-Fashion Stylish Set”

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:xtrart-3d:X-Fashion Stylish Set:Materials:Bra Mats”

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:xtrart-3d:X-Fashion Stylish Set:Materials:Bra Mats:Transparency Options”

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:xtrart-3d:X-Fashion Stylish Set:XF-Stylish BP”

X-Fashion Stylish Outfit Shorts for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females (Core)

• You can find new icons for loading this product in the following DAZ Studio Folders:

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:Daz Originals:X-Fashion Stylish Set”

• “People:Genesis 8 Female:Clothing:Daz Originals:X-Fashion Stylish Set:Materials:Short Pants Mats”

Obviously a new daz QA blunder, but it would not have happened with the traditional unbundled packaging.

• AndrewJJPAndrewJJP Posts: 642
    edited May 2022

Drip said:

AndrewJJP said:

I like it in general too, but I think they also need to bundle it sensibly. Dont force people to buy things other than the outfit if they want only the outfit. I think this has only happened once.

https://www.daz3d.com/luna-infinity-outfit-bundle

In this case, I'd have bought the outfit if I didn't have to buy the character. She's very pretty and all that, but she's not a good match for my art style and I know I would never use her. The outfit would cost $40 to buy in its component parts, which is a huge amount of money because you're not getting any bundle discount. So I bought nothing. I guess that's down to the PA though?

That's kind of a different bundle, it is actually three different outfits, two pairs of shoes and a character. Quite similar to the Linday&Mousso bundles like Lost Lagoon I'm pretty sure that's how HM presented the bundle to Daz for release.
    If this were a "new DAZ style bundle", then each of those outfits would also have been split up into 3-5 pieces, like top, panties, skirt, shoulders, etc. And you would be able to buy each article seperately.

On one hand, I do like these new bundles. Sometimes I really want "just the shoes" or "just the top". But the most important detail remains whether the full outfit is comparable in price and quality to other outfits sold here, and not artificially inflated.

I'm just not seeing that bundle in that way. It's got Luna underwear, Luna dress and two pairs of Luna boots and Luna Armor, all of which are designed to work together. I'm not seeing as any different to any ot the other HM outfits, except the only way to buy them is to:

1. Buy all the individual items for $60 (the full price)
    2. Buy them with the character for $73.

Lost Laggon feels more like this.

https://www.daz3d.com/hex-tenebris-bundle

But in that case, the outfit could be bought without having to buy component parts.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-tenebris-outfit-for-genesis-81-females

And it wasn't $60.

It's just my perception, I don't think there is necessarily a right / wrong with these things. But becasue of this, it's the first @HM thing I didn't even wishlist because I can't see myself every buying all the items at that price. Just feelback, as I think it's useful to explain why I buy things and why I don't. Of course, I'm just one person so take it or leave it smiley

But as I said, generally, I'm all in favour of being able to buy things separately, and in this case, the option to buy just the underwear, or just the boots could have worked for many. and in the past, it's worked for me on other outfits where maybe I just wanted the shoes. With HM, I usually want the whole thing, but not the character. Nothing against the character, I just have a more real-world style.

Post edited by AndrewJJP on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,050

I like having the option to buying individual parts of an outfit, and have used it a few times.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,624

AndrewJJP said:

But in that case, the outfit could be bought without having to buy component parts.

And it wasn't $60.

It's just my perception, I don't think there is necessarily a right / wrong with these things. But becasue of this, it's the first @HM thing I didn't even wishlist because I can't see myself every buying all the items at that price. Just feelback, as I think it's useful to explain why I buy things and why I don't. Of course, I'm just one person so take it or leave it smiley

But as I said, generally, I'm all in favour of being able to buy things separately, and in this case, the option to buy just the underwear, or just the boots could have worked for many. and in the past, it's worked for me on other outfits where maybe I just wanted the shoes. With HM, I usually want the whole thing, but not the character. Nothing against the character, I just have a more real-world style.

I'm not really getting your argument. Hex Tenebris outftit is a whole outfit. Hex Tenebris bundle is a full character bundle with character, hair, outfit, and weapons. I thought we were talking about outfits that are broken into components for sale of individual parts.

edited May 2022

Torquinox said:

AndrewJJP said:

And it wasn't $60.

I'm not really getting your argument. Hex Tenebris outftit is a whole outfit. Hex Tenebris bundle is a full character bundle with character, hair, outfit, and weapons. I thought we were talking about outfits that are broken into components for sale of individual parts.

We are in agreement, I was saying that the Lost Lagoon bundle and the Hex Tenebris bundle are not examples of things being broken into component parts. I guess it drifted OT.

But I think my original point is relevant. We have Luna underwear, dress, armour and two pairs of boots. In my book that's an outfit, and to prove the point, it's sold in an outfit bundle called the Luna Infinity Outfit Bundle. That bundle contains the outfit and a character. I don't feel I have been offered a sensible way to buy just the outfit.

That was what I was originally trying to say, This is the component parts of an outfit, but there isn't really an outfit. Hopefully that is clearer, but I don't think I'm explaining this very well at all! sad

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    It's annoying when,for example, they sell a toothbrush and toothpaste as separate products. Then it's just a money grab. Things that go together should stay together. Otherwise reasons already given for selling items separately are valid.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,592

mwokee said:

It's annoying when,for example, they sell a toothbrush and toothpaste as separate products. Then it's just a money grab. Things that go together should stay together. Otherwise reasons already given for selling items separately are valid.

What if i already have a 3D toothbrush, but need some toothpaste?  I am all for it as long as it's not price gouging and nickling and diming us to death.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,624

AndrewJJP said:

Torquinox said:

AndrewJJP said:

And it wasn't $60.

We are in agreement, I was saying that the Lost Lagoon bundle and the Hex Tenebris bundle are not examples of things being broken into component parts. I guess it drifted OT.

But I think my original point is relevant. We have Luna underwear, dress, armour and two pairs of boots. In my book that's an outfit, and to prove the point, it's sold in an outfit bundle called the Luna Infinity Outfit Bundle. That bundle contains the outfit and a character. I don't feel I have been offered a sensible way to buy just the outfit.

That was what I was originally trying to say, This is the component parts of an outfit, but there isn't really an outfit. Hopefully that is clearer, but I don't think I'm explaining this very well at all! sad

Now I understand! Thanks for the clarification.Yes, I understand what you mean, and I agree with you about Luna. In the end, you're explaining it quite well, I think. :)

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,073

I'm happy. It means that I don't have to buy the whole outfit when I'm only interested in one part. I've already spent too much money on outfits I loath, just for that one useable piece to kitbash.

FSMCDesigns said:

mwokee said:

What if i already have a 3D toothbrush, but need some toothpaste?  I am all for it as long as it's not price gouging and nickling and diming us to death.

This one feels faintly ridiculous...

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-reverse-bunny-suit-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-genesis-81-females

What use is that without thie?

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-bunny-suit-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-genesis-81-females

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

@AndewJJP cuz hip boots are rare! LOL

Need to keep my girls happy and they want the latest fashion items.

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 798

I really did enjoy the recent butterfly wing option that was available.

I am 1 of those people that grab items from many sets and cobble them together for custom looks.

• mambanegramambanegra Posts: 574

Worlds_Edge said:

I don't like it. It creates store "clutter."

I agree with this. Some of the recent sale categories have had pages and pages of breakout items. Too much scrolling and I get bored and just close the tab down. So, if there was a way to show/hide them, I'd be perfectly happy that they are there. But, as it is, I consider them one more reason to spend less time browsing the store. 

JazzyBear said:

@AndewJJP cuz hip boots are rare! LOL

Need to keep my girls happy and they want the latest fashion items.

laugh

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

I like it.  I also notice that the mini items often include more texture work (can be ifffy) than before.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

I see both good and bad. Too much clutter and too confusing to figure out what item goes with which outfit. Personally I only buy full outfits..On the positive side, PAs are putting more work into the individual items. Now they can’t throw in some simple tube or something as part of the outfit and each clothing piece needs to stand on its own. So because of this higher quality, it’s a good thing, but I’d still rather just see the higher quality items in one outfit because the combined price is better and less clutter in content. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I think I like both. Lately the quality of mens clothing has taken a strong dip. ThIs allows me to buy the elements I like without paying for some of the rest of the outift that I don't.

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

valzheimer said:

I like that the option to buy individual parts exists, but not a fan on how it hogs up the store page, some other items go overlooked on release because parts are each their own product and take up half the daily releases sometimes.

I'd rather it be a check-down option under the product page to check/uncheck items to include/exclude from a list or a dropdown, say under the price (and maybe add an icon to the front page to signify that it can be bought in parts).

Just my 2 cents.

V.

I love this idea.

• terranullisterranullis Posts: 50

i'm okay with it, to be honest. sometimes i'm like: i just want the shoes there. i will never use the rest of the outfit. so.. yeah. i'm good with it. besides, add the three together and they're often about what they'd be wrapped up together anyway.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,373

I liked the belt but didn't need the entire outfit. So just bought the belt.

https://www.daz3d.com/kuj-steampunk-explorer-bag-for-genesis-8-and-81-females

• ZiconZicon Posts: 184

As long as it means we get clear renders of each separate items in an outfit, I am all for it.

edited May 2022

AgitatedRiot said:

Same outfit entire bundle $13.97

KUJ Steampunk Explorer Bag for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females | Daz 3D  $9.07

KUJ Steampunk Explorer Dress for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females | Daz 3D $9.07

KUJ Steampunk Explorer Goggles for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females | Daz 3D $9.07

KUJ Steampunk Explorer Jacket for Genesis 8 and 8.1 Females | Daz 3D $9.07

That's a bit silly! You expect to pay a little more for separate items, but does this one really cost 2.5x as much? I think it's usually fairly sensibly priced though, that's a bit of an exception. I almost wonder if that was a mistake.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

I'm a vendor, and I really like the change.

From my perspective, it means I can work on stuff that people may want individually but at prices below the usual $15-20 sweet spot. Like, say I want to make a bunch of alien critters. I might want to price something at, say, $6. But that's not a very good use of everyone's time to put in the store.
    Now, I can make a dozen or so critters as one product, but then offer them individually for people who might just want that one thing.

It gives a lot of options.

As a customer, as other folks have said, I often only want one or two pieces of a bundle, and I would much rather have the freedom to buy what I want rather than decide whether it makes sense for me to spend money on stuff I don't really want.