Is anyone happy with products being broken into parts and sold seperately?

124»

Comments

• DandeneDandene Posts: 162

I was really excited when I saw clothing items being sold separately.  There are times that maybe all I want is the shirt or the accessories from a set.  I was actually debating just yesterday about one set and if I should buy the bundle or just buy the pieces I wanted.  I ended up with the bundle.  By the time I purchased two items, I was close to the bundle price, so I figured why not?  I figure that maybe I'll find a use for the extra items at some point.  The downside is that adds to the clutter of my library.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,437

I think it's a great idea. A few weeks ago, I was looking at an outfit. I loved the shirt, but I wasn't too happy with the rest of it. So I bought the shirt. ^^ yes

• Silent WinterSilent Winter Posts: 3,636

tsroemi said:

Silent Winter said:

How do we feel about this kind of thing for non-clothes (e.g. environments). I've got a set in the works that could be split into smaller prop-sets.

So, for example, lets say the desk and chair is one item, the room and fixtures is another, the workstation and science-props are another, the emergency shower is another.

Not sure if I'll do this as it's extra work setting up the products and doing promos, but if it'll lead to more sales of people who just want that one prop...

i'd be quite happy with splits like this as long as they make some kind of sense - the current wizard room is doing it well I think, itemwise. Just please don't go over the top with the splitting and especially the pricing. Thanks for asking and sharing your thoughts!

Thanks for the feedback. For the price - I can only suggest. Daz has the last word. I tend to trust them with the marketing side of things.

I wouldn't break them into too many groups (won't sell the bin seperately from the room, for example). It'd basically be (for a futuristic classroom as example): Student desk and chair; Teacher desk and chair; Room + fixtures (speakers, sign, big screen) + bin; science workstation+props (including emergency shower). So about 4 sub-products making up the whole bundle. Plus all the texture variations (screens, etc) would be within their relevant sub-products.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,786

I might actually get the Young Wizard boots without the rest of the outfit.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

While this is great in theory, the implementation is a little rocky if you do buy the whole outfit.  Some vendors provide hierarchical presets with the Outfit, and that works like a charm. yes

Some vendors offer and outfit preset, but then you have to go chasing down every component to change materials. angry In this case, you're better off ignoring/uninstalling the outfit, unless you really, really just want to use default materials.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,256
    I don't have any issues at all with it. I think more options are better, and as the consumer it's on me to choose what's best for my needs. There is the added bonus that the individual item pages usually let you get a good look at the item.
  • bjoernb78bjoernb78 Posts: 135

No, not a fan. Now you get a single piece for the price you paid for a complete outfit the year before. Everything is getting more expensive. Breaking sets into smaller pieces is just the Daz way to keep items affortable. You just get less for the money from year to year.

• I don't care.

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

The crazyness of this model is shown with the recent Ski Bundle:

1) The Ski Bundle which includes AJC Dynamic Ski Line Outfit Bundle

2) The AJC Dynamic Ski Line Outfit Bundle Outfit which itself is composed from 3-5 components

3) The Breakout items show 5 different components but two of them are inactive, the outfit bundle shows thre components. One of the components the AJC Dynamic Ski Line Outfit Accessories shows promo images from those two inactive components, which are AJC Dynamic Ski Line Outfit Googles and the AJC Dynamic Ski Line Outfit Boots.

Now what is included where? Why are the Gloves separate but not the Googles or the Boots? Why are the Skis and Ski Line Poles not available separate? Should the Ski Line Outfit Accessories once it includes the Gloves and Boots not also be a Bundle inside a Bundle of a Bundle...

I will probably get the Ski Bundle because I like that outfit but I wonder what I will finally get and how this thing will show up in Smart Content. Fingers crossed.

• vagansvagans Posts: 422
    HM does it again with their new products. Somehow the Nuns shoes aren't considered part of the "outfit" and can only be purchased separately or in the bundle. The weapons as well. All these things used to come included in all HM's outfits and this didn't start until Daz decided to begin breaking out everything into parts. Any PA milking this trend brought about by Daz will not be getting any purchases from me.
  • HatBHatB Posts: 77

Thr part I dislike most is in Daz Studio getting 4 or 5 different items ie shoes ,tights, pants, tops, capes in different choices on the Smart Content screen which could have taken place in the Wardrobe area.

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690

I like the separate parts available, but I may buy a complete set if the price is less all together. 

• Rod Wise DriggoRod Wise Driggo Posts: 2,151

Still think the way this feature is implemented is not really thought through. Will probably get the "dForce Iron Scale Armor" from the Kento Bundle. This Outfit is composed out of no less then 7 (!!!) single items. So after getting this thingy I end up with 8 new "products" do download and 8 new products in my Smart Content. Wonder why they did not create a "sub-SKU". We do have a suffix on each product download for updates (-01, -02, etc.) which is hardly used. There would have been enough space to use this for "subproducts" and add a way to filter them out if not needed - both from the store as well as from Smart Content. But little do I know.

• I'm personally fine with breaking up outfits into individual pieces you can purchase seperately.

But the way they're all then broken up into seperate "products" in Smart Content - and then sometimes all use the same thumbnail for each product - is really annoying.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,449

i dont like the new deal where you buy these and then get to pick a breakout item for FREE. Used to be the entire outfit, now its part of the outfit. 

• daveso said:

i dont like the new deal where you buy these and then get to pick a breakout item for FREE. Used to be the entire outfit, now its part of the outfit. 

It's an offer - no one is obliged to take it up if it doesn't work for them.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I don't mind them being sold separately. I'll never buy them that way, but I don't mind them being sold that way. The only way I would mind is if I couldn't buy them any other way but separate. THAT would be a deal breaker ;)

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited August 2022

I'm fine with it unless it's generating bugs like items not being accessible in downloads or in the library.

I suppose it means I like the idea, but not always the implementation?

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

Right.

I do not at all like this recent trend where things are not identified as a bundle on release, and not all of the components are even available at the same time. 

We've now had several "breakout releases" of groups of items which are the individual components of outfits which were released several days earlier, without any warning that they were going to be released later as individual components. This does *not* inspire confidence in the marketplace's good intentions.

We've also hit a couple of glitches where the outfit was on sale, but once purchased was not accessible for download. And that *really* does not inspire confidence in the company's good intentions.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

The thing with breaking these outfits into individual components is you are often looking at an individual product and wondering, "What the heck is that anyway? It doesn't look like someone could wear it".

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    edited August 2022

I have no problem with it as there have been occasions where I've said "yeah, I like that one part of the outfit but the rest sucks", but one also has to understand that it's something that has a lot of advantages for DAZ that are not tied to the customers benefit.  For example, while it puts more cheap items in the marketplace, it also tends to wash over the fact that DAZ products, and DAZ Originals and DAZ+ items in particular, have been getting far more expensive, and we're now seeing partial outfits being offered in "deals" where previously it would have been the whole item being offered.  Meanwhile, it also has the effect of making  apparent sales numbers look higher/the number of items sold look much bigger when a single outfit sold can also be broken down into it's component pieces and listed that way.  Likewise, it's far more likely to lead to duplicate item purchases, as while someone may splurge to get a partial set for a specific part when it came out, as the complete item goes on sale for a lower price at a later time, the chances become higher of someone simply buying the complete item.   As a result, I suspect that it;s highly unlikely for the new policy to change.

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388
    edited August 2022

After it's been in place for a while now, I still like the general idea and I do buy single pieces from time to time - I only need so much high heels, so yay for every opportunity to leave them on the shelf ;-). But like others said, I'm also noticing major glitches happening now with the break-out items, which is not much fun, and I think the splitting is sometimes being taken way too far. Oh, and yes, the way the metadata is handled is very annoying. That said, the idea is still more good than bad in my view.

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

Hylas said:

I might actually get the Young Wizard boots without the rest of the outfit.

Nice boots and at the current sales price good value. Thanks for the link.

Splitting items totally depends on how they are priced. If they are value for the money asked I'd have no issue for it. If it seem overpriced they simply won't get the sales until the item goes on sale.

Using the Wizard boots I just looked at they are good value at the original price but even better value at the sale price.

Having attempted to make shoes in zbrush it's not easy to get them right but the vendor appears to have done an excellent job from looking at the promos.

• MKDAWUSSMKDAWUSS Posts: 91

I can see both sides of it - sometimes it's nice to have it piecemeal, and other times it's like I have to buy this, this, this, this, this, and this just to have it useful.

What can really be annoying is when only one component is on sale at a nice discount.

• I like it. Often there's just a part that I like, and I don't want the majority of it. Don't want to pay for it, nor fill up my hard drive.

• maraichmaraich Posts: 491

It's not something I'll take advantage of often, but I like having the option. I've been wanting a messenger bag for ages, and so I picked up the school bag that came out recently for the modern Japanese school uniform. I would love a classic school uniform, but I'm not keen on the modern take. But the bag! I was happy to be able to grab it.

• kwerkxkwerkx Posts: 105

Like it.  I've picked up quite a few breakout items.. I like being able to buy just the thing that caught my eye on it's own.  Like the price point too, especially for new items.. makes them easy toss in's to round out an order.

What I don't like:  1. Descriptions of breakout items should reflect the fact that they are independent items.. too many of them have sparse descriptions. 2. Outfits linked to breakout items that don't show up for another day or two (oops links).. I get the idea; but the store needs a better solution for that scenario.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

I do find one little thing that bothers me about it and not that it's being sold piecemeal, but that I have to download and install lots of small files when I only had to do one before. It's a lot of parts now that I've got to chase around if they aren't all in order. If I buy it in one group, can you please supply the files in one file?

• ChumlyChumly Posts: 793
    edited August 2022

I don't mind per se'

But the thing that bugs me the most is that the "front" page of the Store is now pretty cluttered up, and doesn't make shopping the "New" items easy...
    When everything is "broken out", half the first page is parts of one bundle.  I wish that the "can be sold sperately" would be a SUBSET of the main bundle package.So, you'd have to open the main asset to get to the parts, sold seperately.

So, instead of rows and rows of: Climbing boots (with Heels!), Cool Socks for Climbing Boots, Dangerous Textures for Climbing boot Shoelaces, and of course, Climbing boot Shoe Laces.....They would all "hide" under the Greater Asset, "Sexy Climber for Genesis 8.1 Females".

Post edited by Chumly on