[Released] Vintage Vending Machines [Commercial]

Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
edited August 2022 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Coming soon, to a render near you, four highly detailed old-school vending machines:
ETA: 9/8/2022 Some colors and fonts have changed or been expanded. Please see updates further in this post.

VVM_main.png
2000 x 2600 - 2M
Post edited by Those Things on

Comments

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113
    edited June 2022

The products in the machines are included as separate props as well, and all the little bits are rigged like you'd expect. There's also a stand included for the gumball machine, and a crate for the soda machine's bottles. Here's some more shots:

VVM_popup_05.png
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    VVM_popup_06.png
    1000 x 1300 - 734K
    VVM_popup_07.png
    1000 x 1300 - 680K
    VVM_popup_08.png
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    VVM_popup_09.png
    2600 x 2000 - 4M
    VVM_popup_10.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 5M
  • These look awesome.  I'm buying the set when they hit the store. :)

Thank you, Those Things!

Lee

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,358

Very neat idea, thanks!

leemoon_c43b45a114 said:

These look awesome.  I'm buying the set when they hit the store. :)

Thank you, Those Things!

Lee

I'm so glad you like them! Can't wait to see what you make. :) 

tsroemi said:

Very neat idea, thanks!

Thank you, tsroemi!  

• Those are all so freaking cute. And most importantly, useable with stuff i have. ( breaks the piggy bank )

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,094

Cool! I love this kind of stuff! (Though I think it is good we no longer have cigarette vending machines. 8D )

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321

Really like the cola machine. The wooden crate is a good add.

FirstBastion said:

Daz has requested that I rework the soda machine (a little too close to a certain big name cola for comfort) which I'm working on now. This will result in some color options for the soda machine, instead of just the red, so look  for an updated soda machine soon...

• Since my renders take place in the1950's, this set would be a fantastic addition to my library! It's so hard to find assets from that era, so thank you for creating this !

RocketWestphalia said:

Since my renders take place in the1950's, this set would be a fantastic addition to my library! It's so hard to find assets from that era, so thank you for creating this !

That's so great to hear, I look forward to seeing what you make! 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,319

Those Things said:

FirstBastion said:

Daz has requested that I rework the soda machine (a little too close to a certain big name cola for comfort) which I'm working on now. This will result in some color options for the soda machine, instead of just the red, so look  for an updated soda machine soon...

Carolina blue would be a nice color option and also reminiscent of another famous cola brand. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,252
    edited June 2022

I remember a lemon-lime soda called Bubble Up. Late '60s I think. I think it's still being made, but it's not something that one trips over very often. Usually only in specialty places like Galco's. Like most lemon-lime sodas it used a sort of yellow/green in the packaging. I think the bottles were a dark yellow/green. 

Something called Bubble Cola would "look" like it might be another product from the same company. Not sure how much of a viable idea that would be. Particularly since not everyone is old enough to even remember the stuff.

Post edited by JOdel on
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813

The part I found sort of eyebrow-raising was the "sizzurp" candy, of all things. It does look like a very good set.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited June 2022

Looks like a great set, and I especially appreciate the detail put into the individual candy and cigarette designs.  I'm not sure what DAZ is going on about with the sodas though, as hundreds of third party and store brand colas, including Virgin, WalMart, Krogers, and Aldi, have never had an issue getting considerably closer in color and appearance.  The one thing CC does patrol zealously is the unique contour bottle shape and you completely avoided that.  All that said, will the soda bottles have partially filled versions as well?

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

A propos of nothing, in a 1912 boys prep-school novel, there is a description of a menu at a soda fountain, and it included "Myer's Root Beer" and "Choco Cola".   These are almost certainly thinly disguised Hires Root Beer and Coca-Cola.   It is not clear why the author or publisher avoided real brand names.  The Oz books, in the same time period, were not shy about referring to "nabiscos" and "zuzu" (Nabisco's brand name for ginger snaps), or naming a live phonograph 'Victor Columbia Edison'.

• rrwardrrward Posts: 556

Can we get beat-up and rusted textures for our favorite post-nuclear wastelands?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

Ostadan said:

A propos of nothing, in a 1912 boys prep-school novel, there is a description of a menu at a soda fountain, and it included "Myer's Root Beer" and "Choco Cola".   These are almost certainly thinly disguised Hires Root Beer and Coca-Cola.   It is not clear why the author or publisher avoided real brand names.  The Oz books, in the same time period, were not shy about referring to "nabiscos" and "zuzu" (Nabisco's brand name for ginger snaps), or naming a live phonograph 'Victor Columbia Edison'.

Myers Root Beer, aka Myers Avenue Root beer which still exists today, is a brand that goes back to the 1890s and has the distinction of being the root beer used for the very first root beer float aka Black Cow.  I'm not sure about Choco Cola, but there was definitely a knock-off rival brand called Chero-Cola at that time, so a Choco-Cola doesn't seem unlikely.  One thing to keep in mind with really old books is that the entire concept of bottling soda pop was something that grew slowly, with most carbonated drinks being either sold as syrups or consumed at soda fountains.  That left a lot of room for smaller regional companies to sell products that were very similar to others, so there were a lot of brands that were basically copycats in name and advertising.  

• ThyranqThyranq Posts: 584

Looks amazing - that gumball machine, in particular - holy crap that looks so real!

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

Cybersox said:

Ostadan said:

Myers Root Beer, aka Myers Avenue Root beer which still exists today, is a brand that goes back to the 1890s and has the distinction of being the root beer used for the very first root beer float aka Black Cow.  I'm not sure about Choco Cola, but there was definitely a knock-off rival brand called Chero-Cola at that time, so a Choco-Cola doesn't seem unlikely.  One thing to keep in mind with really old books is that the entire concept of bottling soda pop was something that grew slowly, with most carbonated drinks being either sold as syrups or consumed at soda fountains.  That left a lot of room for smaller regional companies to sell products that were very similar to others, so there were a lot of brands that were basically copycats in name and advertising. 

Wow, thank you for that information!  And of course syrup of Coca-Cola and the like were 'medicinal' which is one reason that soda fountains were found in drugstores for many years.

Thyranq said:

Looks amazing - that gumball machine, in particular - holy crap that looks so real!

Thyranq you very much! wink 

rrward said:

Can we get beat-up and rusted textures for our favorite post-nuclear wastelands?

It's possible this could be a follow-on texture pack, but I think the geometry of the machines would need altering to do it right. Dents, broken glass, missing parts, holes, etc. But it is an intriguing idea... 

• I don't know how I missed this, but I'm so happy you're making this. A couple of years back I was rying to find a cigarette machine like they had back in the 70's and 80's for a project and could find nothing anywhere. So happy to see that someone is making one, you need it for vintage bar and restaurant scenes.

edited June 2022

Cybersox said:

...all that said, will the soda bottles have partially filled versions as well?

I hadn't considered that, actually. There is an empty bottle, a bottle on its side (with a bubble floating against the glass to lay flat in the machine), and a regular full bottle just sitting there. This might be a good update to add...

ETA: Added a half-full version.

• Did this get released and I just missed it? If not, any eta for when you think we might see it in the store?

• jdavison67jdavison67 Posts: 587

Hmmm...Is this real?

JD

MeneerWolfman said:

Did this get released and I just missed it? If not, any eta for when you think we might see it in the store?

It got delayed because I had to redesign the fonts and colors of the soda machine a second time (still too close to Coke for Daz's comfort) but it's almost through inspection now, which means you'll be seeing it soon. Sorry it's taking so long, but should be very soon. smiley 

jdavison67 said:

Hmmm...Is this real?

JD

It's real, I promise! Just ran into delays. But all good now, so should be very soon. smiley 

• Those Things said:

MeneerWolfman said:

Did this get released and I just missed it? If not, any eta for when you think we might see it in the store?

It got delayed because I had to redesign the fonts and colors of the soda machine a second time (still too close to Coke for Daz's comfort) but it's almost through inspection now, which means you'll be seeing it soon. Sorry it's taking so long, but should be very soon. smiley 

Sounds good. Patiently waiting with wallet in hand smiley

• gorgeous.   The detail is absolutely beautiful. e.g. the around the soda when it is being pulled from the vending machine... the wear. Fabulous. Such love in crafting these pieces. Amazing. Please publish them soon. They are wonderful tributes to the era.