[Released] Vintage Vending Machines [Commercial]

Comments

• Those ThingsThose Things Posts: 1,113

The final materials and fonts are approved! I wasn't permitted to use "cola" at all, so I invented my own drink called "Zippy" (named after my cat) which sounded suitably vintage, and reminded me of things I drank in the early 70's as a child. Is Zippy a cola? A pepperbox drink? Some sort of Root Beer? You decide. smiley Also, instead of the one color scheme for the soda machine, there will now be three. Ditto for the soda bottle crate.

VVM_popup_12.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    VVM_popup_06.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    VVM_popup_08.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    VVM_popup_07.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    VVM_popup_14.jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 3M

Someone on Facebook asked for a closer view of the gumball machine, so I'm putting that here too. 

VVM_popup_05.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702
    edited July 2022

Those Things said:

Someone on Facebook asked for a closer view of the gumball machine, so I'm putting that here too. 

Awesome. It will go well with these: https://www.daz3d.com/iray-surfaceworx

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

Well, it was a long road, but it's in the store now! Vintage Vending Machines | Daz 3D

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,071

These look awesome!

lou_harper said:

These look awesome!

Thank you! 

• kwerkxkwerkx Posts: 105

Been waiting for these since you announced, just added them to the cart for tomorrow.

If you do an add-on, in use versions of the consumables would be nice.. I don't remember seeing many unwrapped (much less bitten into) candy bars or variations of an open pack of cigarettes in the store.

Thank you for these and I'll be watching for your next product!

kwerkx said:

Been waiting for these since you announced, just added them to the cart for tomorrow.

If you do an add-on, in use versions of the consumables would be nice.. I don't remember seeing many unwrapped (much less bitten into) candy bars or variations of an open pack of cigarettes in the store.

Thank you for these and I'll be watching for your next product!

Excellent idea, thank you! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,184

I was wanting an open pack of cigarettes two days ago, to put into a guy's shirt pocket. I couldn't find one.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,067

Open pack in two formats - just open, with the foil peeled off on the one side, and open in use with a couple of cigarettes protruding from the open pack.

namffuak said:

Open pack in two formats - just open, with the foil peeled off on the one side, and open in use with a couple of cigarettes protruding from the open pack.

What did you mean by "Open pack in two formats"? Was there supposed to be a link to a 3D asset, or were you just describing how a user could make their own modifications to an arbitrary asset?

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,067

barbult said:

namffuak said:

What did you mean by "Open pack in two formats"? Was there supposed to be a link to a 3D asset, or were you just describing how a user could make their own modifications to an arbitrary asset?

The link is to an image of the second suggestion, the open pack with cigarettes exposed. The first option - just an open pack - would not have cigarettes protruding from the pack, just the ends visible where the foil has been torn away. IIRC, the foil was fragile enough that it would shear off cleanly, with no visable ragged edges.

So - a suggested add-on to your suggestion for an open pack. This only applies to soft packs; the hard packs had a full-width flip top that was only open while the user was extracting a cigarette.

No, I'm not a smoker, but my father did two packs a day, and I sold many packs during my sumer employment in a drug store while in high school.

namffuak said:

barbult said:

namffuak said:

The link is to an image of the second suggestion, the open pack with cigarettes exposed. The first option - just an open pack - would not have cigarettes protruding from the pack, just the ends visible where the foil has been torn away. IIRC, the foil was fragile enough that it would shear off cleanly, with no visable ragged edges.

So - a suggested add-on to your suggestion for an open pack. This only applies to soft packs; the hard packs had a full-width flip top that was only open while the user was extracting a cigarette.

No, I'm not a smoker, but my father did two packs a day, and I sold many packs during my sumer employment in a drug store while in high school.

I can't see your links for some reason. Can you send them in a private message? 

• Purchased it yesterday. Such a well made asset-set for an affordable price, thank you so much for your hard work.

I'll hope for more products from midcentury-era !

RocketWestphalia said:

Purchased it yesterday. Such a well made asset-set for an affordable price, thank you so much for your hard work.

I'll hope for more products from midcentury-era !

Thank you so much, RocketWestphalia!  

edited August 2022

I finished my render of the guy with the cigarettes in his pocket, but I never got as far as trying to make it an open package. Getting them in the pocket was challenge enough!

I have to say that I was real disappointed that I couldn't find any material presets to change the style of the cigarette package. It seemed like an obvious thing to include, since I think all the packages are the same size and shape to fit in the vending machine.

Wolfgang 8.1 Jeb Hair Cane_003_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on

So, I saved material presets for each of the cigarette packages, and yes, they do work on all of the cigarette package props. Daz set up the metadata so that each of the cigarette package props has a different base compatibility in the database, so I had to set each material preset compatible with all of the individual props.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142

These are so nice and unfortunately I can say that I'm old enough to remember cigarette machines and they looked just like that. LOL ;)

barbult said:

I finished my render of the guy with the cigarettes in his pocket, but I never got as far as trying to make it an open package. Getting them in the pocket was challenge enough!

I have to say that I was real disappointed that I couldn't find any material presets to change the style of the cigarette package. It seemed like an obvious thing to include, since I think all the packages are the same size and shape to fit in the vending machine.

Thank you for the feedback, Barbult. I get into a sort of tunnel-vision when I'm making things sometimes, and I don't stop to think of a use case like yours above. I've added material presets for the packages to my update list!

By the way, this gentleman looks like he really needs to give up smoking entirely... 

AllenArt said:

These are so nice and unfortunately I can say that I'm old enough to remember cigarette machines and they looked just like that. LOL ;)

Me too! And you might be surprised to know that when I was doing the research for this project, it was almost impossible to find out exactly where those old cigarette machines had their lighting. I finally had to contact a dealer who had one for sale, and he sent me interior pictures. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,388

Those Things, would you be able to put approximate dates on the machines, so I'd know like, whether I can use the gumball vendy in a 1920s render and such? That would be awesome!

Those Things said:

barbult said:

Thank you for the feedback, Barbult. I get into a sort of tunnel-vision when I'm making things sometimes, and I don't stop to think of a use case like yours above. I've added material presets for the packages to my update list!

By the way, this gentleman looks like he really needs to give up smoking entirely... 

Yup, you are right about that. Smoking has done him no favors.Thanks for considering material presets for a future update.

edited August 2022

tsroemi said:

Those Things, would you be able to put approximate dates on the machines, so I'd know like, whether I can use the gumball vendy in a 1920s render and such? That would be awesome!

Well now, there's an interesting question! I don't have a date for the gumball machine because I just made it up, but I based it on several gumball machines, ranging from the 1930s to 60s, if that helps. The fluted body and imprinted metal face kind of resemble old carosel gumball machines made by various companies, and I do know that there were carosel gumball machines very similar to this in the 1920's, so I don't think it would be a stretch to put it in a render from that period. 

Post edited by Those Things on

Those Things said:

tsroemi said:

Well now, there's an interesting question! I don't have a date for the gumball machine because I just made it up, but I based it on several gumball machines, ranging from the 1930s to 60s, if that helps. The fluted body and imprinted metal face kind of resemble old carosel gumball machines made by various companies, and I do know that there were carosel gumball machines very similar to this in the 1920's, so I don't think it would be a stretch to put it in a render from that period. 

Cool, thanks for letting me know! As for the others, the cigarettes machine looks very fifty-ish to me, would that be about correct? The soda machine I can't really place at all.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

tsroemi said:

Cool, thanks for letting me know! As for the others, the cigarettes machine looks very fifty-ish to me, would that be about correct? The soda machine I can't really place at all.

The soda machine is either 1930's or 1940's if I remember correctly.

edited August 2022

Just Out of Reach

I didn't remember until I loaded the ice cream parlor, that it also had a gumball machine on a stand. I deleted it from my scene. This is the gumball scene I had in my head when I saw your product in the store.

Just Out of Reach Rim Light_001_Camera (3).jpg
    2600 x 2000 - 2M

barbult said:

Just Out of Reach

I didn't remember until I loaded the ice cream parlor, that it also had a gumball machine on a stand. I deleted it from my scene. This is the gumball scene I had in my head when I saw your product in the store.

What a great render! The facial expression is perfect. 

tsroemi said:

Those Things said:

tsroemi said:

Yep, 50's. And like Daventaki mentioned, the soda machine is 30s/40s. 

Great, thanks everyone!

edited August 2022

Will I Get Caught?

Will I Get Caught Final.JPG
    2600 x 2000 - 2M