CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited July 2022

Using the head from the center, and part of the horns from the left, I enabled symmetry.  I selected the outer edge loop and extruded to widen.  I repeated once but scaled smaller in the vertical to begin enclosing the sides.  I finished enclosing the sides by using the bridge tool and fill polygon.  I attached the horns to the head.  

cc10 select lower jaw opposite.jpg
    1047 x 710 - 134K
    cc11 result from bridge.jpg
    1039 x 753 - 147K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2022

Now with the low poly shape I can start adding details.  I narrowed the snout to get that more triangular face, and extruded some nostrils, and shaped some eyelids.

Will be adding more detial.  There are many other ways to model a dragon head, but I think this method was reasonably quick for getting the basic concept in place.

At this stage, it still only has 656 vertexes, so can add much more detail.

cc12 start to add details.jpg
    821 x 703 - 78K
    cc13 starting to take shape.jpg
    1015 x 804 - 120K
    cc14 only 656 vertexes.jpg
    1500 x 751 - 134K
    edited July 2022

And here is the basic low poly dragon, still without wings, but with head attached and shading domains aligning the body and the head.  From this base, I should be able to come up with something that fits my heroine and hero.

ee01 dragon wip top.jpg
    800 x 600 - 31K
    ee02 dragon wip under.jpg
    800 x 600 - 25K
    ee03 dragon wip side.jpg
    800 x 600 - 18K
    edited August 2022

Final Dragon modeling WIP, I promise.  Added some simple wings.

These are not the final textures or whatever.  This is still with no UVMapping.  And so far I have only used procedural shaders.  There is a forked tongue inside the mouth, if anyone was worried about it.

ee05 wing attach.jpg
    1585 x 936 - 330K
    ee06 dragon mesh.jpg
    1365 x 737 - 156K
    ee04 dragon with wings test render.jpg
    800 x 600 - 25K
    ee07 forked tongue.jpg
    1337 x 991 - 249K
    zip
    zip
    Dragon Hero Heroine ZIP.zip
    2M

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

I picked up the new Paris city center and am thinking of ways to give it a go. 

Is that the "Paris City Center" model by Matej Vodnik?  How did you import it to Carrara?  Collada?

Thanks for the comments on Paris dragons, everyone.  Steve K, the Paris tower loads directly from the content folder without having to convert to another format.  

Okay, thanks.  I've never had luck loading a .DUF file into Carrara, and quit trying long ago.  Has something changed?  Or are some .DUF files Carrara compatible while others are not?  

Sorry, SeveK, I think I missed this question.  I have never had problems with the DUF format itself, although some content that is problematic is in DUF format.  Just make sure to load DUF files from the Daz format content folder, not the Poser Runtime format content folder.  I have made freebies for Carrara that I have saved in DUF format.  Seems to be OK.  For example, this gingerbread man that I made and saved in DUF format will load and operate in Carrara.  https://sharecg.com/v/94581/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Gingerbread-Man-daz-Studio

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,989
    edited July 2022

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D_659128 said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

Stezza said:

The Herculoids 

revamped file from one I did 2013 when Carrara was v8  wink
    changed the dragon style using 3DU dragon for dragon3 added foliage, props and added Tara ( Zandor's wife ) who wasn't in my original file.

~  Very Good  _  heart 

ed3D hope you are going to join in the fun !!!

~  was supposeing to  ~

Looking forward to your work !!!

Thanx   then  

Post edited by ed3D on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,757

Diomede said:

Final Dragon modeling WIP, I promise.  Added some simple wings.

These are not the final textures or whatever.  This is still with no UVMapping.  And so far I have only used procedural shaders.  There is a forked tongue inside the mouth, if anyone was worried about it.

Excellent modelling, love how you get a lovely character at the end !!!

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

I picked up the new Paris city center and am thinking of ways to give it a go. 

Is that the "Paris City Center" model by Matej Vodnik?  How did you import it to Carrara?  Collada?

Thanks for the comments on Paris dragons, everyone.  Steve K, the Paris tower loads directly from the content folder without having to convert to another format.  

Okay, thanks.  I've never had luck loading a .DUF file into Carrara, and quit trying long ago.  Has something changed?  Or are some .DUF files Carrara compatible while others are not?  

Sorry, SeveK, I think I missed this question.  I have never had problems with the DUF format itself, although some content that is problematic is in DUF format.  Just make sure to load DUF files from the Daz format content folder, not the Poser Runtime format content folder.  I have made freebies for Carrara that I have saved in DUF format.  Seems to be OK.  For example, this gingerbread man that I made and saved in DUF format will load and operate in Carrara.  https://sharecg.com/v/94581/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Gingerbread-Man-daz-Studio

Only a few of the DUFs that I have tried did not work. A fair few need to be converted to blended weight in DAZ Studio before opening in Carrara.

Thanks for the comment, Bunyip.

On DUFs, I should have said that it is the rigging tech of Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 that does not work properly in Carrara and needs to be converted to Blended Weight, not the fact that these are in DUF format.  The figures themselves (Genesis 3 and 8) crash Carrara so use one of Misty's character presets.  The conforming clothing/hair/etc just needs to be converted to blended weight.

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2, which are in DUF format, work in Carrara pretty much as expected.  Things like geografts are problematic, but that is not because of the figures or the DUF format.  Genesis 3 and 8 can work in Carrara with Misty's presets and by converting conforming content to blended weight.  Static props that are in DUF format work in Carrara.  Props that require some sort of rigging (like a door in a wall) will usually work in Carrara with no problem, but sometimes can be improved by converting to blended weight.

So, being in DUF format does not make something incompatible with Carrara.  Problems arise from a different source (eg., rigging, geograft,...) and just happen to also be in DUF format.  Worth repeating, best to load DUF files from the Daz Content folder structure, not the Poser Runtime folder structure.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

Diomede said:

Okay, thanks.  I tired the Gingerbread File and got the attached, first the error message, then when I clear that the figure is in the Carrara Instances list but there's nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?

Dio Ginger 1.jpg
    921 x 740 - 109K
    Dio Ginger 2.jpg
    1082 x 957 - 173K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

DesertDude said:

This has some great lighting - I like those glints and shines. Is the dragon breath made of particles? Fire Primitive? Looks cool.
    Nice composition as well. yes

Thanks DD!  The dragon breath (and smoke) are both Jepe billboards.  I was skeptical how effective they would be before using.  Not a skeptic any more.

Your paper plate dragon is so creative.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

edited July 2022

Steve K said:

Diomede said:

Okay, thanks.  I tired the Gingerbread File and got the attached, first the error message, then when I clear that the figure is in the Carrara Instances list but there's nothing there.  What am I doing wrong?

Hmm.  I don't know.  

gingerbread man.jpg
    1842 x 1006 - 277K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877

I suspect it's because CMS is not running 

which is likely if Steve doesn't use or even have DAZ studio 4 installed 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I don't have that installed.  If I do install it, does CMS work automatically with Carrara?

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,814

I suspect it's the file structure as you haven't got the DS file system setup which the duf seems to need..

I just tried loading the said gingerman from a different file structure totally alienated from the DS setup and I got the same error... then putting all the files in the correct DS file structure there was no problem..

if that makes sense to you... the DUF files for DS need to be inside that tree structure which is created when DS is installed. It is totally different but in some ways the same structure to the Poser setup but doesn't work in a Poser structure...

and if that doesn't confuse you then blended weight mapping will only add to it as most recent DUF products ( props ect ) will load but won't work unless they are converted in DS to blended weight but then you may only have a 50 to 90% chance of it working.

surpriseangryfrown

And how to make an Carrara  "explosion"   of any kind  ??

thanx ~

ed3D said:

thanx ~

I just put this one together

using a prop ( mouse ) duplicate it so you have 2.. on the second one use the explode modifier and set the completion and sizes.. then I just added a fire and cloud ( duplicated and resized ) to suit.

hope it helps out for ideas.

explosion sample.png
    640 x 480 - 217K
    explosion sample2.png
    1349 x 598 - 232K
    edited July 2022

and applying an explode modifier to the first mouse as well selecting explode from top laugh

and then doing postwork in PSE22 with both images and Ron's Brushes smiley

explosion sample3.png
    640 x 480 - 237K
    explosion sample4.png
    640 x 480 - 366K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,877

CMS Content Management service installs with DS AFAIK, or at least DIM I really don't know but Carrara uses it for duf, D|S doesn't need to be open but I do always open it first on a new install and import all the metadata to populate the smart content and that seems to help in Carrara even if I don't use smart content there.

I consider DAZ studio a useful Carrara plugin and it really doesn't take up much space.

edited July 2022

Carrara Trading Cards  laugh

used the cutout plugin to create the trading card frame.. then used planes and shadow catchers to make the Trading Card.. turning shadows on or off or both for various props and figures..

Card colour can be changed easily in the shader room. All models were modelled in Carrara, used Carrara hair for the dragon's breath plant and used Carrara text tool.
    No postwork yes

dragonCard_cutout_texture_WiP.jpg
    1208 x 684 - 132K
    dragonCard_cutout_wackyview_WiP.jpg
    1307 x 798 - 227K
    dragonCard_cutout_WiP.jpg
    477 x 432 - 54K
    dragonCard_WiP.jpg
    1469 x 964 - 886K
    the Dragon Card.png
    800 x 600 - 543K
    Post edited by Stezza on

UnifiedBrain said:

DesertDude said:

This has some great lighting - I like those glints and shines. Is the dragon breath made of particles? Fire Primitive? Looks cool.
    Nice composition as well. yes

Thanks DD!  The dragon breath (and smoke) are both Jepe billboards.  I was skeptical how effective they would be before using.  Not a skeptic any more.

Your paper plate dragon is so creative.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

Billboards are another useful tool in the armoury !!!!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Sounds like CMS is the culprit....

ed3D said:

thanx ~

ed3D sounds like a fun render you have in mind !!!

Syezza said:

and applying an explode modifier to the first mouse as well selecting explode from top laugh

and then doing postwork in PSE22 with both images and Ron's Brushes smiley

Thanks for those words of advice Syezza !!!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

CMS Content Management service installs with DS AFAIK, or at least DIM I really don't know but Carrara uses it for duf, D|S doesn't need to be open but I do always open it first on a new install and import all the metadata to populate the smart content and that seems to help in Carrara even if I don't use smart content there.

I consider DAZ studio a useful Carrara plugin and it really doesn't take up much space.

Plus the fact that they have to give DAZ Studio away for free for anybody to use it....

Syezza said:

Carrara Trading Cards  laugh

used the cutout plugin to create the trading card frame.. then used planes and shadow catchers to make the Trading Card.. turning shadows on or off or both for various props and figures..

Card colour can be changed easily in the shader room. All models were modelled in Carrara, used Carrara hair for the dragon's breath plant and used Carrara text tool.
    No postwork yes

Top stuff !!!

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

thanx ~

ed3D sounds like a fun render you have in mind !!!

_  while looking at web , saw an thing where they had a illustration of those bombs often seen in TV shows & Movies 

and decided to make one with Blenders 2.79B _ not sure of thickness of fuse   Thanx 

2BIG_BOMB-1.png
    1920 x 1005 - 211K
    2BIG_BOMB-1B.png
    1920 x 1017 - 203K

Syezza said:

ed3D said:

thanx ~

I just put this one together

using a prop ( mouse ) duplicate it so you have 2.. on the second one use the explode modifier and set the completion and sizes.. then I just added a fire and cloud ( duplicated and resized ) to suit.

hope it helps out for ideas.

and then doing postwork in PSE22 with both images and Ron's Brushes

And was just the Fire & Smoke was thinking of  _  not really the Expolde object  ~  Thanx then   

WendyLuvsCatz said:

OK, many thanks.  For the price, its worth a try.  wink

ed3D said:

thanx ~

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I use "Particle Illusion" which has a free standalone version (I use the not free plugin version in Vegas):

https://tinyurl.com/wuv78t4r

Here is an example from an old 48 Hour Contest video "Be Mine" (explosion @ ~ 5:00):