CARRARA CHALLENGE #63: There be Dragons..... WIP

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,762

ed3D said:

Bunyip02 said:

ed3D said:

And how to make an Carrara  "explosion"   of any kind  ??

thanx ~

ed3D sounds like a fun render you have in mind !!!

_  while looking at web , saw an thing where they had a illustration of those bombs often seen in TV shows & Movies 

and decided to make one with Blenders 2.79B _ not sure of thickness of fuse   Thanx 

Making progress, will be interesting to see how this scene pans out !!!

Steve K said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

CMS Content Management service installs with DS AFAIK, or at least DIM I really don't know but Carrara uses it for duf, D|S doesn't need to be open but I do always open it first on a new install and import all the metadata to populate the smart content and that seems to help in Carrara even if I don't use smart content there.

I consider DAZ studio a useful Carrara plugin and it really doesn't take up much space.

OK, many thanks.  For the price, its worth a try.  wink

If it does not work out you can return it and ask for a refund !!!

Steve K said:

ed3D said:

thanx ~

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I use "Particle Illusion" which has a free standalone version (I use the not free plugin version in Vegas):

https://tinyurl.com/wuv78t4r

Here is an example from an old 48 Hour Contest video "Be Mine" (explosion @ ~ 5:00):

Nice pyrotechnics !!!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited July 2022

Thanks Ted and Bunyip02 and Syezza and UB and DesertDude  (hope I didn't miss anyone) for commenting on my work. Sorry have been away doing hospital visits. I see there are 121 posts since I logged in in this thread!!

Looking forward to enjoying the posts!!!

Post edited by Headwax on

Syezza said:

and applying an explode modifier to the first mouse as well selecting explode from top laugh

and then doing postwork in PSE22 with both images and Ron's Brushes smiley

that's a  nice big bang Stezza!

Syezza said:

Carrara Trading Cards  laugh

used the cutout plugin to create the trading card frame.. then used planes and shadow catchers to make the Trading Card.. turning shadows on or off or both for various props and figures..

Card colour can be changed easily in the shader room. All models were modelled in Carrara, used Carrara hair for the dragon's breath plant and used Carrara text tool.
    No postwork yes

love how you are thinking with this, good to see how other carraraists approach problems.!

Diomede said:

Final Dragon modeling WIP, I promise.  Added some simple wings.

These are not the final textures or whatever.  This is still with no UVMapping.  And so far I have only used procedural shaders.  There is a forked tongue inside the mouth, if anyone was worried about it.

Ted this is pretty brilliant, it's a classic how you maintain your stylistic characteristics across so many different meshes/characters.

And thanks for the description of the workflow - very valuable

UnifiedBrain said:

"Is it just me, or did it suddenly get a LOT warmer in here?"

Best not to annoy the Warrior Princess. cool

I went old school on this one.  No need for fancy Milliennium dragons 1-3, when the original Daz Dragon is still available. yes

And who needs genesis?  It doesn't get much better than a sweaty V3, I hope you agree.

The outfit is a modifed version of Angeluz for V4.  The flame and smoke were Jepe billboards, which I had never used before.  Background was courtesy of MatCreator.

No postwork, but prework on the V3 body texture in PSE.

Ha ha, she's a beauty - and the girl isn't bad either!

You've really turned Vicki and the old daz dragon into items of wonder here - the glistening sweat is a gem

DesertDude said:

Here is my first WIP, a dragon made of paper plates.

I had several bad starts on how to apprach those uniquitous ridges on paper plates. My first attempts involved dispalcement mapping and it looked...awful. So I modeled them creating a high poly plate. I started with only one quarter of the plate and fussed around until I got the grooves to look passable. I then dupliacted with symmetry, welded the two halves together, then duplicated with symmetry again to finish the plate. The result is not a perfect circle. crying I'm sure there was a more sane approach, but anyways, then I created a normal map from the high poly plate and applied that to a low poly disc.

I then used a regular Replicator and dialed in a single row along one axis, then gently tweaked the position and rotation% so they aren't perfectly aligned.

Experimenting creating the feathers using info from this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/493341/can-i-create-feathers-with-the-hair-tool

He'll be much more decorated later. Right now I need to create his environment.

Brilliant bit of lateral thinking. The plates are superb for constructing the stylised dragon. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

feathers turned out tom terrific - thanks for the heads up on that method. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,880
    edited July 2022

I started off doing a Carrara dragon animation but got distracted by Deepdream Generator

is not an entry so OK

hgplpv_6e7d32455b33974c4372b7d55792f5db31207964(UpPhoto)(scale)(tta)(1920x1080).jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 461K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,994

And Then ~   Fast Grab - 

Twilight Of Dragon
    -70% $21.95 $6.59
    https://www.daz3d.com/twilight-of-dragon

Thanx

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,994
    edited July 2022

Steve K said:

ed3D said:

thanx ~

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I use "Particle Illusion" which has a free standalone version (I use the not free plugin version in Vegas):

Here is an example from an old 48 Hour Contest video "Be Mine" (explosion @ ~ 5:00):

_ Alright then  ,  will  check-into  this _   Good Explostion  ,  Thanx ,    

Post edited by ed3D on

Headwax said:

Thanks Ted and Bunyip02 and Syezza and UB and DesertDude  (hope I didn't miss anyone) for commenting on my work. Sorry have been away doing hospital visits. I see there are 121 posts since I logged in in this thread!!

Looking forward to enjoying the posts!!!

Put that family member first, we can wait !!!!

Lots to catch up on ....

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I started off doing a Carrara dragon animation but got distracted by Deepdream Generator

is not an entry so OK

Nice postwork !!! Hope you can still get the animation done !

ed3D said:

And Then ~   Fast Grab - 

Twilight Of Dragon
    -70% $21.95 $6.59
    https://www.daz3d.com/twilight-of-dragon

Thanx

Would have needed a fair sized crossbow bolt to bring that Dragon down !!!

ed3D said:

Steve K said:

ed3D said:

thanx ~

_ Alright then  ,  will  check-into  this _   Good Explostion  ,  Thanx ,    

Billboards - Jepe's ElementZ - https://www.daz3d.com/jepe-s-elementz

edited July 2022

Dear Wyvern - Wyvern and M3

WIP

Render

CC63 DearWyvern 1 WIP.png
    2799 x 1040 - 999K
    CC63 DearWyvern 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

well I just found one (duf props) that stuffs up Carrara though it loads in the scene outliner

https://www.daz3d.com/muelsfell-alchemist-table

edited July 2022

Squee - The Dragon Fairy

Just for fun - Not an entry

Raw render

Topaz Adjust Crisp filter applied

Topaz Adjust Color Blast filter applied

Topaz Studio Impression - Colored Pencil II filter applied

NPR image

Dragon Squee 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    Dragon Squee 1 TopazCrisp.png
    1916 x 1038 - 1M
    Dragon Squee 1 TopazColorBlast.png
    1907 x 1036 - 1M
    Dragon Squee 1 TopazImpress Pencil.png
    1652 x 1029 - 2M
    Dragon Squee 1 TopazImpress.png
    1600 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited July 2022

Thanks for the comments on my toonish dragon, Bunyip and Headwax.

Andrew, sending positive vibes to your family.

Enter the Dragon!

Bruce Lee seems like an obvious subject.  Simple scene with Genesis 2 Lee 6 and one of the Carrara hairs from the from 5 times a lady product.  I used the 3D paint tool to create opacity maps to try to get the red markings.

Here is an interesting article on the making of Enter the Dragon.  https://www.slashfilm.com/791736/bruce-lees-enter-the-dragon-wasnt-inspired-by-other-kung-fu-movies/

Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 136K
    Screenshot 2022-07-23 031024.jpg
    1810 x 963 - 250K
    Post edited by Diomede on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

well I just found one (duf props) that stuffs up Carrara though it loads in the scene outliner

I have found a few that won't load. Also a problem with some figures after converting to blended weight the skeletons/rigging refuse to work in Carrara.

Normally resort to obj export/import for those ones....

Diomede said:

Thanks for the comments on my toonish dragon, Bunyip and Headwax.

Andrew, sending positive vibes to your family.

Enter the Dragon!

Bruce Lee seems like an obvious subject.  Simple scene with Genesis 2 Lee 6 and one of the Carrara hairs from the from 4 times a lady product.  I used the 3D paint tool to create opacity maps to try to get the red markings.

Excellent thinking out of the box !!!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085
    edited July 2022

SteveK - love the example.  Thanks for posting the fire vid.

ed3D - good modeling on the bomb.  Hard to say about fuse thickness with just the bomb as reference.  I think it depends on relation to other objects in the scene.  Is the bomb itself big or small relative to a human hand?  I'd say it looks great as is, but if you scale the bomb up the fuse might look too big next to another object.  Looking forward to the project.

UB - it is not you.  it DID get a lot warmer in here.  That is a hot one.  yes

Bunyip - always enjoy seeing people get great art from the older figures.  M3 enjoys his pet wyvern, and it appears mutual.

Wendy - I like the blue color palette.  I will have to check deepdream out.

Syezza - I want to collect all the Carrara cards.  How many will there be?

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited July 2022

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have found a few that won't load. Also a problem with some figures after converting to blended weight the skeletons/rigging refuse to work in Carrara.

converted all the figures to props inD|S and saved a scene subset which works yes 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Bunyip02 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

converted all the figures to props inD|S and saved a scene subset which works yes 

Nice work around !!!

edited July 2022

not an entry, just using some of the clearance props I got dirt cheap

will be video eventually 

in under 4 hours by looks

dragon test.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1080 - 302K
    2.JPG
    1617 x 893 - 179K
    edited July 2022

video,

interpolated using Flowframeswink

WendyLuvsCatz said:

video,

awwww, poor dragon - set him free wizard !!! Nice animation Wendy !

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,194

WendyLuvsCatz said:

video,

Nice fantasy scene, and once again good music choice.  First I've heard of Flowframes.