Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    wgdjohn said:

1 - No pages in account library.

Correction...
    1) 38 pages to date.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964

amazing how much we spend ... or have spent

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326

Fact: Carrara is my 3D software of choice

Fact: I won't be leaving Carrara to use something else - although using another app is certainly not out of the question

Fact: I won't be buying any content that doesn't work in Carrara - nor am I interested in having to jump through hoops to get my content into Carrara

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

Fact: Carrara is my 3D software of choice

Fact: I won't be leaving Carrara to use something else - although using another app is certainly not out of the question

Fact: I won't be buying any content that doesn't work in Carrara - nor am I interested in having to jump through hoops to get my content into Carrara

Agreed on all.  

Quibbles: I am re-learning Poser Pro 2014 to use some good Poser format content that does not work in Carrara, and it has a better comic render than Carrara's non-realistic render:

http://my.smithmicro.com/images/Poser11WhatsNew/CartoonTones_800px.jpg

Also, don't forget Vue ... a great program to supplement Carrara. The opening shots in this contest animation were done in Vue (the rest in Carrara, of course) - the judges liked it:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Only problem is we don't know what works now till you buy and try.. and though Daz has a good return policy I'm not to sure with other sites.. Been waiting for 3 years for a refund from Rendo and more & more items for DS & Poser are not working in Carrara regardless of which store you purchase from.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited February 2016
    Stezza said:

Only problem is we don't know what works now till you buy and try.. and though Daz has a good return policy I'm not to sure with other sites.. Been waiting for 3 years for a refund from Rendo and more & more items for DS & Poser are not working in Carrara regardless of which store you purchase from.

Tell me about it, from RDNA Lady Littlefox's lovely Bast outfit while perfectly good in Poser and DS both of which is has mat preloads for needs every texture reloaded manually in Carrara, it does load untextured in all 3 but neither Poser or DAZ presets work.

while not wishing for refund the work involved in fixing such items with tens of maps for normal, spec etc is daunting enough to not want to buy another item.

the DAZ make a wish freebie encrapted item as an obj import from DS4.9 was just as frustrating map wise

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Textures don't bother me. I redo every shader for every item in my scenes anyways. But some items in DUF format simply don't work as well as those in CR2 or PP2 (or whatever the prop foramt is for Poser). I've kept my shopping fairly simple: If it doesn't include a Poser format version, I don't buy it. 

I'm not saying that DUF doesn't work... it might. The big exception to the above rule is when I'm buying Genesis items. In that case I just buy whatever works with Genesis 1 or 2 that I want. But props and environments for me have to include Poser format or I just click the back button and move on. Really bummed me out when Predatron's new 14MU product came out as DUF only. Predatron fan or not... I'm not getting that one. 

Yes I do support DAZ 3D. I love DAZ 3D. I may even be making some D|S-only products. But as a consumer, there are so many cool products out there that I know will work. Some of my Stonemason and 3-D-C products require that I comb through well over twenty shaders on a single item. That part just doesn't bother me, because I feel that part of the magic of having Carrara is what we can do with those maps in the texture room - heck... even without maps! But I do want the morphs and joint operartions to work. I've picked up some DUF robots that just don't want to animate in a friendly way in Carrara. Luckily they can still perform as broken-down junk! ;)

The point I was trying to make is that, if the products continue to be made in some format that is not compatible with Carrara, I'll end up not looking anymore. So if they want to continue along the path they've been trodding, they would certainly get more sales from people like me if the content was made compatible with Carrara - and not just: You can get it there via Hexagon either. It either works or it doesn't. It could be just me, but I don't want to pay the same for one product that has to be brought into something else and exported and saved in another format, when I can find something similar that just loads in from the menu.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511

One interesting point, how long ago did HD addon content come out, is it still not compatable with Carrara?

edited February 2016
    Milo said:

One interesting point, how long ago did HD addon content come out, is it still not compatable with Carrara?

Right after they finished Carrara 8.5 upgrade. While we cannot use the HD morphs in Carrara, we can use Carrara to create HD content for the D|S community. In the meantime we'd have to use Carrara's fun tools to create out own HD versions and save them as CAR files. That's one of my favorite things about Carrara... all the cool tools! Well... that and the ability to crank out full-scene render frames in less than a minute. I love that, too! ;)

Wow. I better make an updated video for this. It's fun. This video does a nice job of showing the process, but it's too grainy to see the actual details until you see the end result at the end of it

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • 1. 40 pages of purchases

2. Carrara, Bryce, Poser

3. Would

I'd buy the heck out of content if I was happy, I'd be happy with Bryce working on Apples!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

1. Now 147 pages (and we are still not telling my husband, right?)

2. Carrara all the way

3. Would buy pretty much anything that works in Carrara (see number 1)

Not going to wrestle with encrypted stuff, and already seeing a decline in my shopping

By the way, ever notice how no one from DAZ ever bothers to comment in this forum.

Cbird said:

1. Now 147 pages (and we are still not telling my husband, right?)

2. Carrara all the way

3. Would buy pretty much anything that works in Carrara (see number 1)

Not going to wrestle with encrypted stuff, and already seeing a decline in my shopping

By the way, ever notice how no one from DAZ ever bothers to comment in this forum.

yes, too true, we need a thread entitled "what I would have bought if I knew it worked in carrara"

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

To be fair to Daz, a summary of the findings from this thread was sent to them and they responded promptly with a positive if somewhat cryptic response. We know that they are working on Genesis 3 integration, but it is taking a long time. They have also announced that encrypted content will be generally available after a year, which at least opens the door a little for Carrara users and others who can't or won't use encrypted content. We all wish that there was more Carrara development but there are commercial realities. I hope that the Genesis 3 upgrade emerges soon as this would address a number of issues for Carrara users.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Thanks for the update Phil. I just hope G3 support isn't too far off either.

edited September 2016

Really slowed down in my buying since most new products only list Studio as being supported.

Now upto 68 pages - most of the 'new' is legacy content.

Post edited by Headwax on

Not me, but I'm still trying to grow my collection - lots of back-catalog stuff that I really like! Some of the (semeingly) older content, which might not look too great in promos (older style renders)... I already know I'll be realizing all new shaders no matter what I get, so...  I've been having a lot of fun with those sales!

Not lately... so much. But in general.

Things like animals, insects, vehicles, set pieces and buildings and such. M4 and V4 (and their unimesh add-ons) stuff... Still having fun on this end!

I tried i13's Drawbridge scene, which comes as both Poser and Daz Studio formats, using the DUF format and, though I admit to not even trying any control dials if it has any, it works really nice, and it's a great piece!

Some of these others though... Like Stonemason's new stuff and others, which are only DUF... I'm still shying away from that. 

Still only up to 31 pages... but it's still a lot of stuff!

yes, occasionally I see 'new' things in the store that are really replacments for other products that don't seem to be for sale anymore

but the new store renders are getting so much better :)

When I get a chance I'll give some of the old products for eg V3 a run via a cloth sim that gets rid of poke through and see how they rig up to V4.

not sure on the best workflow for this as I often get wayward verticie in x dresser that I have to fix in poser joint editor . sorry if mentioning poser or x dresser goes against tos 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

I've definitely cut back because of the lack of Genesis 3 support.  If I buy, it is primarily older content and then only because of steep sales.  However, have picked up a few utilities and tutorials.   

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2016

After converting older content (M3/V3, etc) to M4/V4 or Genesis (sometimes the Daz clone products, sometimes the Poser Wardrobe Wizard), I've then converted it to G2M and G2F using the Studio transfer utility. Usually just useit in this form.  But, for a few older items, I've even then been able to use V...(that which will not be named, but not Voldemort) on a hit or miss basis.

Headwax said "When I get a chance I'll give some of the old products for eg V3 a run via a cloth sim that gets rid of poke through and see how they rig up to V4."

Post edited by Diomede on
    head wax said:

yes, occasionally I see 'new' things in the store that are really replacments for other products that don't seem to be for sale anymore

but the new store renders are getting so much better :)

When I get a chance I'll give some of the old products for eg V3 a run via a cloth sim that gets rid of poke through and see how they rig up to V4.

not sure on the best workflow for this as I often get wayward verticie in x dresser that I have to fix in poser joint editor . sorry if mentioning poser or x dresser goes against tos 

Do you have Phil's Advanced Carrara Techniques? If so, try Chapter 7 and get into trying some cool ways to make your own costumes (instead of x-dresser)

Hint: We can take content made for other models - Edit > Fenric > Unlock Figure - then Animation > Detach Skeleton - then remove "model" from the hierarchy, delete hierarchy. Select "model" and rename it to the name it was when it was rigged (or whatever name you want to give it)

Now bring in the figure you want to cross-dress it to.

Use the modeling tools in the Assemble room to (as evenly as possible - what am I saying... you're a better modeler than I am, for sure!!!) adjust the mesh to fit the intended figure.

Now use his description of how to bring your custom mesh into Daz Studio to turn it into the new format you need - CR2 (rigged) for V4 or earlier, DUF Triax for Genesis or Genesis 2.

Use this if you're doing it for Genesis or Genesis 2. Phil's is perfect for V4, M4, A4, etc., or earlier figures - or even different figures, like Poser figures, Predatron's LowRez, etc.,

Daz Studio Content Creation Tools YouTube Playlist

...mine has more babbly - talking about setting up a Genesis 2 Clothing-making scene setup, etc., but is more Carrara-specific:

It can be fun and a much better way to spend time that some other things this world has to offer! ;)

• up to 104 now, cannot help myself

I wanted a different result of HongYu's Shirt for V5 than what Auto-fit was giving me. So to make my own Genesis 2 Female version, I had to take a slightly different approach.

You see, Genesis begins life as a Male. V5 is a Genesis shape.

So when I strip the Shirt figure down to it's basic OBJ, it's in the shape of a Male figure!

After watching the below video, I bought the plugin, and it worked Perfectly! No I know that I can use that Plugin to make Anything fit Genesis 2 Female or Male!

So what I did was just as I explained in the above post, but fitting the Shirt's original OBJ to Genesis 2 Male.

Then followed this video to turn give it a morph which can reshape it to fit Genesis 2 Female.

Then I went an extra step of loading that into Carrara, cranked up the Morph and exported it as an OBJ, then used the above Daz Studio Content Creation Tools YouTube Playlist techniques to make a straight-up Genesis 2 Female object, so that when I want to edit it in Carrara, it doesn't deform back to Male shape! ;)

edited September 2016

Hmmm... it just occurred to me that, being a Carrara 8.5 Pro user, I can buy clothing made for Genesis 3 and (an alternative to the above process using Fenric's Tool) load in the OBJ of the object from the installation hierarchy, and fit it to its respective Genesis 2 shape!

Hmmm.... I do know there have been some Genesis 3 Female clothing releases that I wished they made for Genesis 2 Female. I might have to try some of this.

As a matter of fact, I could also use Phil's instructions to convert them to my heroes from Generation 4! Sweet!

Come to thing of it, we could use what I've said in the previous post to turn the below image into suits for Genesis 2 Males and Females!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • in D|S you can dial up the hidden genesis 2 clones, convert the clothes to props and use the transfer utility on it to fit genesis 2 save as scene subset ans open in C8.5

ToeJam said:

in D|S you can dial up the hidden genesis 2 clones, convert the clothes to props and use the transfer utility on it to fit genesis 2 save as scene subset ans open in C8.5

You mean to use Genesis 3 clothing on Genesis 2? Yeah!

Then just convert to Triax, right? Instead of using Genesis 3 rigging... such an easy step... or don't we even need to do that step?

I have the Generation 3 and 4 clones for Genesis. Do you think I could make triax Genesis clothing that actually conforms to a CR2 Victoria 4?

I may just have to experiment. As easy as it is to convert the way I mentioned earlier... this would be a time saver!

Thanks Wendy!!! 

• I have done that using XD4 (Crossdresser from evilinoccence) well at least with Genesis clothing, I have a V4 license, you need to export a cr2, (Poser companion file) 

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    head wax said:

Really slowed down in my buying since most new products only list Studio as being supported.

Now upto 68 pages - most of the 'new' is legacy content.

Same here.  52 pages, not much more than many months ago.  I'm still avoiding Genesis, DAZ Studio, DUF ... my credit card records show I'm spending a lot more at Renderosity these days.  They recently started a "Poser New" search, letting me avoid having to sort through all the new DS items.  I'm still enjoying making short animations with the Gen4 vintage Poser stuff ... yes

edited September 2016

whoa , thanks you three diomede, wendy et dart  _ :) I will have to digest that all later! valuable info, I wonder if I can semd myself a private message bookmarking  this!

oh yes I have PhilW's tuts, thanks, but it's the same story - no time - ugh !

V who must not be named - I like that name

Post edited by Headwax on