Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Steve K said:
    head wax said:

Really slowed down in my buying since most new products only list Studio as being supported.

Now upto 68 pages - most of the 'new' is legacy content.

Same here.  52 pages, not much more than many months ago.  I'm still avoiding Genesis, DAZ Studio, DUF ... my credit card records show I'm spending a lot more at Renderosity these days.  They recently started a "Poser New" search, letting me avoid having to sort through all the new DS items.  I'm still enjoying making short animations with the Gen4 vintage Poser stuff ... yes

Thanks SteveK - yes my credit card is happy. thanks for the heads up on the search terms,

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Most new Daz stuff these days is either for Genesis 3 or for iRay, neither of which are supported by Carrara, so I too am buying less and less, a predictable consequence of Daz's lack of integrating at least G3 into it. I assume they are not bothered as they are getting enough sales from DS users.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Partly it's lack of money stopping me buying stuff, but most of my interest right now is in the Poser stuff coming out from the ex-RDNA vendors. Anyone tried Dreamland's movie sets?

Otherwise I really only 'buy' the weekly PC freebie, and things I can specifically use for a promo (although the new DB/FW Routemaster bus has piqued my interest . . .) Is there a way to back-fit Gen3 poses to earlier figures?

I should add, that since most of my sets are "English" in flavour, I do tend to keep an eye on vendors like David Brinnen, Forbidden Whispers, Kindred Arts and a few others who produce English-styled stuff :)

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Partly it's lack of money stopping me buying stuff, but most of my interest right now is in the Poser stuff coming out from the ex-RDNA vendors. Anyone tried Dreamland's movie sets?

Otherwise I really only 'buy' the weekly PC freebie, and things I can specifically use for a promo (although the new DB/FW Routemaster bus has piqued my interest . . .) Is there a way to back-fit Gen3 poses to earlier figures?

A search for Routemaster only turns up "Southwestern". I did find Vintage London Double Decker Bus, which is New and 80% off and very good looking by DB/FW when I searched for bus. It is also the only bus by DB/FW.

Yes, it is a classic Routemaster London bus.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    PhilW said:

Yes, it is a classic Routemaster London bus.

I didn't look to see what they'd called it. I guess Routemaster is a trade name (and like the Range Rover, Jag, Lambo etc, it gets called something different in the store)

Hold very tight please, ting ting! (ahh memories!)

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226

...  Anyone tried Dreamland's movie sets?

Yes, I have many of those products plus other Dreamland items, all bought at Renderosity some time back (I recall a big disount for buying a large bundle).  All are Poser format & work fine in Carrara, here is a render using "Movie Sets: River Front" and "Movie Sets: Fisher's Warehousing" plus a few "Movie Sets: City Block _" in the background.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/83646

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

Both versions of the bus duf/poser load up but the same problem of the morphs not working are there. Also in the duf version the textures are reversed.

so it has to be manually posed and use the poser version only for correct texture placement..

most of my purchases this year have been between Hivewire and Renderosity whose products are more compatible for Carrara than daz's own products which leads me to believe that there is no support by Daz for their own product. I guess after 3 years it's inevitable that Carrara is not being worked on despite the smoke screens being posted that it is. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,326
    head wax said:

whoa , thanks you three diomede, wendy et dart  _ :) I will have to digest that all later! valuable info, I wonder if I can semd myself a private message bookmarking  this!

oh yes I have PhilW's tuts, thanks, but it's the same story - no time - ugh !

V who must not be named - I like that name

Well... to refer back to my babble-session about using other figure's clothing on other figures (well that comes out funny!), here you go:

I begin babbling here! LOL

Anyone tried Dreamland's movie sets?

I did a long time ago - so not these low-res versions at Daz.

The one I tried was really heavy in the scene - so I'm curious to try the Lo-Rez versions... I'd love it if it isn't too heavy!

Faveral's Medieval City (as another example of a full scene setup) sits REALLY NICE in a scene - leaving plenty left for gobs of extra figures and such. 

I should add, that since most of my sets are "English" in flavour, I do tend to keep an eye on vendors like David Brinnen, Forbidden Whispers, Kindred Arts and a few others who produce English-styled stuff :)

Yeah... and in Poser formats too!!! ;)

I was seeing the same stuff the other day... looks fun!

• I use the highpoy Dreamland sets a lot actually.

hoping they come here as have only 4.

But mostly in iClone, I could not actually find a Carrara video though have loaded some in there.

except a mixed with US3 one, guess which blocks are which?

Cool! Like I said... it was only one, and that was long ago. I might have still been a total noob! LOL

Stezza said:

Both versions of the bus duf/poser load up but the same problem of the morphs not working are there. Also in the duf version the textures are reversed.

so it has to be manually posed and use the poser version only for correct texture placement..

Just to clarify, if you use the Poser version, both the textures and the morphs work correctly in Carrara?  That has been my experience with DAZ products that include a Poser Core Installer, as this one does.  I don't download the DAZ Studio version (DUF), and the DSON Importer does no good with Carrara I'm told.

Stezza said:

most of my purchases this year have been between Hivewire and Renderosity whose products are more compatible for Carrara than daz's own products which leads me to believe that there is no support by Daz for their own product. I guess after 3 years it's inevitable that Carrara is not being worked on despite the smoke screens being posted that it is. 

Indeed.  Happily, Carrara works fine the way it is, just not with DAZ Studio/DUF/Genesis content.  

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125
    edited September 2016

​Just to clarify for people who come across the thread, Carrara does work with DUF/Genesis content.  Here are two Genesis 2 females and a genesis 2 male with content designed for prior generation figures.  Fine to say that you think it takes too much trouble, or it requires adjustment or whatever, but it is not accurate to say Carrara does not work with DUF/Genesis content.

Post edited by Diomede on
    diomede said:

Just to clarify for people who come across the thread, Carrara does work with DUF/Genesis content.  Here are two Genesis 2 females and a genesis 2 male with content designed for prior generation figures.  Fine to say that you think it takes too much trouble, or it requires adjustment or whatever, but it is not accurate to say Carrara does not work with DUF/Genesis content.

...and just to add:

I have the "No Poke" morphs for Genesis 2 Female which help to eliminate too much hassle that might be involved with using Auto-Fit for other clothes from other generations/figures.

Genesis 1 is an amazing feat of figure technology. Genesis 2 & 3 build upon that - adding a lot more realism, but Genesis 1, being unisex/unimesh is a magical experience for anyone whom wishes to grab an easy-to-use collection of multitudes of people, monsters, creatures, etc., without having piles of different specialized addons needed. 

I like to use Genesis 1 as a Monster Maker, and have a lot of extra stuff to make everyday background personalities for my movies. I use Predatron's Lo-Rez people a LOT for this, but they have their limitations. Genesis hair works for Genesis, whether it's male or female. Most clothing items work very well no matter the figure shape we go to use.

As Always: Beware ANY negativity around Carrara, for Carrara truly is Magical!

diomede said:

.  Fine to say that you think it takes too much trouble, or it requires adjustment or whatever, but it is not accurate to say Carrara does not work with DUF/Genesis content.

Okay, maybe I should have said that DUF/Genesis/DS content does not work as seamlessly as Poser format content in Carrara.  My interest is making short animations with Carrara, and I would like products to work "as purchased".  Morphs, textures, all features.  Is that too much to ask?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Agreed.  Not trying to be the nanny, but, well, I was the nanny.  Know what you mean, but from participating in other forums here, I know that there are people who have carrara but haven't opened it, or are considering getting it, and they pop in the Carrara forums and lurk here for a while.  Don't want to give the false sense that everything in Carrara works seamessly with genesis duf content, but also don't want to give the false impression that genesis 1 & 2 stuff doesn't work at all.

Steve K said:
    diomede said:

.Okay, maybe I should have said that DUF/Genesis/DS content does not work as seamlessly as Poser format content in Carrara.  My interest is making short animations with Carrara, and I would like products to work "as purchased".  Morphs, textures, all features.  Is that too much to ask?

No they don't but the Poser version loads better than the duf version ... the morphs don't work on either version at all and the textures on the duf version are mirrored.

But you can manualy open the door and turn the wheels... such a simple task which makes you wonder why it doesn't work with the dials frown

Steve K said:
    Stezza said:

Just to clarify, if you use the Poser version, both the textures and the morphs work correctly in Carrara?  

• Stezza said:

No they don't but the Poser version loads better than the duf version ... the morphs don't work on either version at all and the textures on the duf version are mirrored.

Fixing the texture issue is easy. There's a thread that explains how to untick the uv mapping here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/102206/batch-untick-uv-plugin-please/p1

diomede said:

Agreed.  Not trying to be the nanny, but, well, I was the nanny.  Know what you mean, but from participating in other forums here, I know that there are people who have carrara but haven't opened it, or are considering getting it, and they pop in the Carrara forums and lurk here for a while.  Don't want to give the false sense that everything in Carrara works seamessly with genesis duf content, but also don't want to give the false impression that genesis 1 & 2 stuff doesn't work at all.

Fair enough.  We all have different goals with Carrara, mine is fast productions of short animations, like the 48 Hour Film contest (a five minute animation in two days).  With all the challenges (story, scenes, character animation, effects, sound, ...), the last thing I need is a 3D element that requires "fixing".  I realize other people will have the time and the desire to "fix" a 3D element . 

edited September 2016

Thanks Brian, that's right...

here are the two versions loaded with doors and windows opened and wheels turned, all manually.

Textures are loaded as is with no adjustments... 

thebus.jpg
    789 x 410 - 43K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Carrara has a double decker in its native content browser too for what its worth, yeah pretty simple but still 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited October 2016

well a newly released cat from another site works fine in Carrara with a bit of material tweaking

all the morphs work

my Carrara fur is not the most stylish

hwc0000.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Wendy - cool looking cat - who knew you liked cats!!

Steve K said:
    diomede said:

Fair enough.  We all have different goals with Carrara, mine is fast productions of short animations, like the 48 Hour Film contest (a five minute animation in two days).  With all the challenges (story, scenes, character animation, effects, sound, ...), the last thing I need is a 3D element that requires "fixing".  I realize other people will have the time and the desire to "fix" a 3D element . 

I totally hear that! Even though I'm the opposite - 48 hours? I might read a page of a book in that time! LOL Kidding, of course... but my animation work doesn't really like that 48 hour time frame! Ahhhhh!!!!

However, you'd be suprized at how well Genesis can work in Carrara - or are you talking about non-Genesis DUF products?

For example, Genesis characters can often render fine without any shader adjustment - unlike many Poser figures.

Don't get me wrong here though. I agree with you that: I prefer Poser formats over DUF at this time. If a product (aside from a Genesis 1 or 2 product) is only available as DUF, the only time I've bought one is when it was Free.

There are a couple of items that I keep 'wanting' to buy and try... but talk myself out of it in the end. The ones I want are at the limit of my budget - which is a LOT for a test run.

edited October 2016
    PhilW said:

Wendy - cool looking cat - who knew you liked cats!!

+1 yes

Edit: Is that a CR2 or DUF kitty?

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Looks like it's on its 9th life! It's a well-loved poody tat smiley