Show Daz that Carrara users are a market worth supporting! How many Product Pages do you have?

Comments

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    head wax said:

thanks diomede

all perfect sense here, well put!

smileysmiley

Of course I figured you'd understand it Mr. Head. I already know you're SUPER way smarter than me. 

BTW, Mr. Wax, could I impose upon you to translate in layman's language the difference between diomede's explanation and my overly simplistic explanation?

Thanks.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2015

As has already been requested, please keep the discussion civil and avoid personal confrontations.  Remember the DAZ 3D TOS bullet point #2

Post edited by Chohole on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

I think it time to lock this thread

comments are adding nothing new .

You could always click ignore to exempt the people who you don't think are contirbuting anything to the actual topic.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,964
    Chohole said:

As has already been requested, please keep the discussion civil and avoid personal confrontations.  Remember the DAZ 3D TOS bullet point #2

Thank you Chohole, my apologies. 

BTW, Mr. Wax, could I impose upon you to translate in layman's language the difference between diomede's explanation and my overly simplistic explanation?

Thanks.

Hi joe, sorry Diomede's post made perfect sense to me. I have some time tomorrow in my lunch hour so I will be able to post something then. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

RE: ignore   It does not seem to work the way it used to, or I am not doing it correctly.  I have tried to click the tool in the upper right, yet the ignored folks still appear in my threads.

If anyone wants an alternative explanation of what I tried to say in my post, see here.

http://www.econlib.org/library/Topics/College/margins.html

diomede said:

RE: ignore   It does not seem to work the way it used to, or I am not doing it correctly.  I have tried to click the tool in the upper right, yet the ignored folks still appear in my threads.

click on the persons name  over there <<<<   then click on ignore for the drop down menu on the gear icon  over that side >>>>    You will still see the person, but greyed out and not clear.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    Chohole said:
    diomede said:

click on the persons name  over there <<<<   then click on ignore for the drop down menu on the gear icon  over that side >>>>    You will still see the person, but greyed out and not clear.

I've done that. I have the message "You have reached the maximum number of ignores."

If I go to the "ignore list" in my profile and there try to add someone, I have the message:

• You have reached the maximum number of ignores. Unlimited list, ignored 0 people
    edited July 2015

Ooh   err    give me a few minutes   I will try to run a test.

edited to say,  sorry, you are correct, it is not working for members still.  We will report this again.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • i started with daz studio but than changed to carrara and also started learning hexagon but right now i am more working with Carrara.
    I often start creating Characters in Daz Studio and import then than into Carrara but since i've got a few issues and those was unable to load in Carrara i started to work much less with DS and do also the character creation in Carrara.

I don't have seen any poll and am not one who votes in a poll, maybe they are right that they don't support Carrara much as the interests compared to Daz Studio in this community is very low as i think Daz Studio is much easier to handle but have not the same great functions like Carrara.
    I choosed to use Carrara as it's an awesome allround 3d creating software for animations, pictures, and and and.

My Product libary have 1179 items and another 32 are ready to install, i would use all of them but this will take a LOT of time so i can use them time by time but i will for sure.
    Since i was reading about G3 i thought oh well, again another Figure i am not willing to buy, not because of it's bad, i'm pretty sure the figure is pretty well but it's nothing new if you go deeper into 3D rendering that you can get awesome results with the older models too if you for example use displacement mapping you don't need HD Details on the character.
    Since now i didnt knew that G3 will not work with Carrara as maybe in the future i would buy G3 but will overthink it again now that i know that i can only use it with Daz Studio.
    I really wish that Daz would work a lot more on the Carrara software for a better compability to other softwares (most people will know about creating .obj or .fbx files to open them in another software and most programs have issues displaying it right).
    I want to start creating my very own characters, independent from the Daz Figures what doesnt means that i won't buy anything from Daz Studio.

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    1. 55
    2. Carrara
    3. Yes - for sure

Sad situation this is...

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    Chohole said:

edited to say,  sorry, you are correct, it is not working for members still.  We will report this again.

+1

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,226
    Chohole said:

Yes, please do.  "Ignore" is an important feature.

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

I'd like to thank Head wax for starting this thread. It isn't a scientific survey, but it is at least a squeaky wheel reminding Daz Carrara users buy content. That seems like a positive effort to me. Do I collect freebies? They are a drop in the bucket.

image.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 99K
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 839

Awww... I really thought that Philemo had maxed out on his/her 'Ignore' quota!

edited July 2015

thanks chiisuchianu  EddieM13D and Cbird.

Cbird, my pleasure. Hopefully some good will come of it :)

Thanks for that link diomede  very interesting!

Chohole I tried ignoring myself. Even that didnt work. The forum is truly broked :)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited July 2015

yeah it will be nice when/if they get the ignore working again.

Really, I see the ignore as a positive, not negative feature. Sometimes there are some very different cultures in public forums, and even though both cultures have no bad intentions, their different styles and cultures are pretty much guaranteed to generate conflict where none exists. Those who speak straight and forthright tend to upset those who seek only positivity (is that a word?) and encouragement. And those who only offer positivity tend to annoy those who seek forthright, honest discussion of issues.

And as the saying goes, "East is east, and west is west, and ever the 'twain shall meet".

So it's best that the two worlds aren't even given an opportunity to collide.

Well, unless someone peeks... smiley

BTW, here's a great opportunity for lobbying...

BRING BACK IGNORE !!! BRING BACK IGNORE !!! smiley

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    head wax said:

Hi joe, sorry Diomede's post made perfect sense to me. I have some time tomorrow in my lunch hour so I will be able to post something then. 

Thanks. Take all the time you need for research. I understand. 

edited July 2015
    head wax said:

Thanks. Take all the time you need for research. I understand. 

Thanks Joe, I'm sorry, I read through it again and realised that it was all very well explained already.

So I'll have to renege on my offer.

My apologies.  You could try breaking it down into sentence by sentence and that might make it easier. I find that makes it easier to apply the theories of critical reasoning. Also the Uni of Oxford has a great series of podcasts on the subject of critical reasoning. (I studied mine at Armidale Uni here in Oz)

But on a brighter note the Darwin stuff looks very interesting.

Sorry to go off topic.

head wax said:

Thanks Joe, I'm sorry, I read through it again and realised that it was all very well explained already.

I'll have to renege on my offer.

Hahahaha !!!! Thanks for the laugh. I was wondering how you'd handle this one. In the US we refer to this as "calling someone's bluff and they fold".

I thought at least you'd give it a shot, but I guess not. smiley

Pleasure Joe.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

This thread asked people to respond to the following

"1) How many pages do you have in your product library?

2) What is the primary software that you use with these products?

3) Would you buy Genesis 3 products if they worked in your primary software?"

Yes, in the US, we talk about calling someone's bluff.  Someone tried to claim that Daz's incentives should be evaluated in terms of adding a whole suite of addditional features.  When I suggested that the profit maximizing question should be evaluated at the margin (smaller chuncks), simplified as ""if Carrara got some additional developer time, would it keep enough people, and attract some more, in the Daz store to pay for that developer time."  I was told I was wrong because "From a business perspective, with all due respect, I don't think that either of those are the questions DAZ or any other company would ask itself in order to maximize profits."

I then gave a more detailed explanation with more detailed discussion of decisions at the margin, and a link to basic econ 101.  That explanation might be wrong.  After all, I doubt economists in general have a better reputation than weather forcasters.  But that is what economists say.  If folks don't want a discussion of applied economics, then don't try to do an economic calculation.

So, I suggest we return to the three questions.  If a discussion of economic incentives is unwelcome, then don't try to change the focus of the thread from answering the three questions to economic decision making.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited July 2015

Awww... I really thought that Philemo had maxed out on his/her 'Ignore' quota!

Actually, I had laugh.

I was allowed exactly 0 ignores and I used them all.

I works now. I have 654321 ignores left. I might run out of forum participant first wink

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
    diomede said:

This thread asked people to respond to the following

Unfortunately, all too often a discussion of issues like this becomes less about the issues and more about personalities and appearances and saving face, not about the real issues. So I'll step aside and let others continue as their interests lead them. 

edited July 2015

JoeMamma2000 said:

So I'll step aside and let others continue as their interests lead them. 

Thanks Joe. We appreciate that.

BTW, if someone would like to try it, the Ignore feature should be working now.

edited July 2015
    Chohole said:

BTW, if someone would like to try it, the Ignore feature should be working now.

thanks ;) works good!

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited July 2015

i started with daz studio but than changed to carrara and also started learning hexagon but right now i am more working with Carrara.

I want to start creating my very own characters, independent from the Daz Figures what doesnt means that i won't buy anything from Daz Studio.

Am a DS to Carrara migrant too myself. Spent more on Daz3D store since I joined Carrara. 

One of the greatest MYTH is Carrarists buy fewer stuff...it's LOL...given these:

1. Majority of Carrara users have DS installed. Allegedly no stats being collected on whether people are buying store content to be used in DS or Carrara. 
    2. Anywhere between 60-90% of Carrara plugin/ add-on developers don't sell stuff on official store, so no stats collected too.
    3. Carrarists pay upfront for their tool. Soon after, another $100-300 for tuitions and basics add-ons. They are invested and committed to the Daz3D ecology FROM THE START. 
    4. There are almost as many forum VIEWS here as DS and most CG app forums.  
    5. There are more dedicated grade-A community volunteers here in relative OR absolute numbers than DS !!!
    6. There are more old school new school game gen internationals here than Reallusion, amazing given the chronic near-zero marketing efforts and spending, even alleged deliberate obsfucating!

Are these low-maintanence - nah more like self-maintaining paid-to-gold-test customers mere throwaways in this time of $0.99 apps? Me think not.

That's why I don't see Carrara as cow in coma. I plan for contingencies and still I believe business wisdom will always prevail.   

So...don't let the naysayings stop anyone from getting to know this little playground! 

Post edited by Mythmaker on