New Daz 3D 'Safe Search' Filter

Daz_TravisDaz_Travis Posts: 79
edited July 2023 in The Commons

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to take a moment and share a small update you may have seen show up on the shop pages over the past day- the ‘Show Mature Content’ filter. The purpose of this filter is to change the default content shown on the Daz store pages for certain individuals.

The reason we decided to add this filter is to make the store more accessible new visitors, current customers, and individuals/organizations who wish to have a work safe level of visibility of items which are more suitable for ‘PG-13’ type audiences.  While the store's existing content guidelines limit what items we sell, there are some instances where even this can be problematic if viewed publicly or without prior knowledge or context.

With these new filtering options, personal, academic or professional audiences will be able to browse the site at a level which they feel comfortable with.  

Mature content will be hidden by default for any new customer or visitor to the website but will remain visible for all current users.  New users that wish to see everything can then simply enable the content filter and be shown the entire store library, like the Daz+ filter or ‘Hide Items I Own’ filter.

If you browse with your cookies enabled the shop view shouldn't change on you. If you change your preference on the shop, category, user profile or search page, whatever you change it to will be remembered.

What type of content will be filtered?

Products are flagged based on a series of criteria including, but not limited to: skin showing, posing, adult themes being present (ie. violence, etc), prominence in the first image, and in subsequent images.  The filtering is based around the PG-13 classification but will be determined on a product-by-product basis during review.

Other topics which will be considered:

• Violence/Gore/Blood
  • Guns/Weapons
  • Smoking/Drinking/Drug use/implied
  • Adult situations/sexual poses/implied nudity
  • Clothing/narrowly cut items
  • Swimwear with mostly skin showing

All lingerie will be filtered by default. 

All product images will be used to determine the filter status

The Daz 3D content guidelines are not changing.  We will still be adhering to the current guidelines but categorizing those which are more adult in nature.

We are sorting current and upcoming products on an individual basis so there will be a few things entering and leaving these filters as we make minor adjustments and continue to sort through all of the products.

If you see anything you feel has been sorted incorrectly, please contact our Customer Service department and let them know. They are documenting all the requests so that we can re-evaluate the products and make sure they have been categorized properly.

Post edited by DAZ_Steve on

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,813
    edited September 2022

Mature content will be hidden by default for any new customer or visitor to the website but will remain visible for all current users.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be correct. I noticed the filter when I was looking at the fast grab page, so clicked it to see what it would do. I noticed that the Maid of the Nile Poses (https://www.daz3d.com/maid-of-the-nile-poses-for-genesis-8-female) suddenly became visible. Since I have been a customer here for a good decade, I'm pretty sure I would count as a current user.

Since the poses show a character in a bikini, I would assume this is why it's behind the mature filter.

The filter also seems to be affecting the wishlist, which is odd.

To be sure, not a huge deal. It just doesn't seem to be working entirely as intended.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Since you're going down this road, you might want to require a login before allowing users to enable mature content, like other sites with a similar option do.

• Sevrin said:

Since you're going down this road, you might want to require a login before allowing users to enable mature content, like other sites with a similar option do.

But for what level of "mature content"? As Daz_Travis said, this isn't a way for the store to become more permissive over all so the filtered content is still not going to be 18+ level.

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,066

If the the filter starts hiding all the skimpwear 80% of the store will be gone.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    "Safe Search" or "Mature Content"? Let's have consistent terminology to avoid confusion. I don't see any search functionality associated with the filter. It simply hides some content items.
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

vwrangler said:

Mature content will be hidden by default for any new customer or visitor to the website but will remain visible for all current users.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be correct. I noticed the filter when I was looking at the fast grab page, so clicked it to see what it would do. I noticed that the Maid of the Nile Poses (https://www.daz3d.com/maid-of-the-nile-poses-for-genesis-8-female) suddenly became visible. Since I have been a customer here for a good decade, I'm pretty sure I would count as a current user.

Since the poses show a character in a bikini, I would assume this is why it's behind the mature filter.

The filter also seems to be affecting the wishlist, which is odd.

To be sure, not a huge deal. It just doesn't seem to be working entirely as intended.

This seems to be corrected - now the Maid of the Nile shows without the filter too - instead it is the dForce Devil's Children Outfits for Genesis 8 Female that is hidden without the filter "Show mature content". Which makes sense.

• Not sure how easy to do, but it might be worth adding that checkbox at the top of the daily sales page (so customers know that there might be other stuff on offer that day that they're not seeing).

Like others, the 'filter' was set 'off' by default for me and I had to enable it.

• Silent Winter said:

Like others, the 'filter' was set 'off' by default for me and I had to enable it.

Same for me, and I've been shopping here for ages. OK, more like "browsing here" these days. ;-)

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 478

lou_harper said:

If the the filter starts hiding all the skimpwear 80% of the store will be gone.

Regrettably not.  I'm retired now, but when I was teaching and got introduced to Daz, Poser, etc., in 2007, I used to, and still do, browse the sites looking for content some of which I could possibly use with students and now, with my grandchildren.  Needless to say, it was a monumnetal task.  There was content to be found that I could possibly use but it was a steep climb to find it.  I repeatedlty told colleagues and friends that I had to "browse through breasts and buttocks" to possibly find something that I could use.

Today, in the Fast Grab section, even with the Show Mature Content flag unchecked, one can see and browse through FE Lace Sling Swimsuit for Genesis 8 Females.  Below is the main store promo image and one of the sub-promo images.

If the desire at DAZ3D is to enable the web site to ge past school IT systems that block web sites with content that is potentially harmful o students, the Show Mature Content flag won't get it there.

FE Lace Sling Swimsuit for Genesis 8 Females promo image.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 192K
    FE Lace Sling Swimsuit for Genesis 8 Females - sub promo image.jpg
    800 x 1040 - 116K
  • jjoyner said:

lou_harper said:

Regrettably not.  I'm retired now, but when I was teaching and got introduced to Daz, Poser, etc., in 2007, I used to, and still do, browse the sites looking for content some of which I could possibly use with students and now, with my grandchildren.  Needless to say, it was a monumnetal task.  There was content to be found that I could possibly use but it was a steep climb to find it.  I repeatedlty told colleagues and friends that I had to "browse through breasts and buttocks" to possibly find something that I could use.

Today, in the Fast Grab section, even with the Show Mature Content flag unchecked, one can see and browse through FE Lace Sling Swimsuit for Genesis 8 Females.  Below is the main store promo image and one of the sub-promo images.

If the desire at DAZ3D is to enable the web site to ge past school IT systems that block web sites with content that is potentially harmful o students, the Show Mature Content flag won't get it there.

I think it's aimed at what people see on first/casual visit rather than trying to get the site as a whole reclassified.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2022

Well maybe people should grow some skin on their noses?

If I were a customer here I'd be all for filters that make it easier and not harder to find content. Even more so if you could EXCLUDE stuff that you don't want to see. Not talking skimpwear now, I would for example never buy a pose set or a light set or a so called shader this and that, you know, stuff you can make yourself in ten minutes...having to wade through all these products to try and find something useful, you get the drift...or maybe you don't:)

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited September 2022

According to whatever AI algorithm is used for assigning those filter options, this is mature content in my wishlist:

https://www.daz3d.com/diabolo-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-males

Expansion for it aren't, though.

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • Has anyone else noticed that the other filters don't work properly since this new check box was added?

Example: Go to a specific Artists page from the "Features Artist Stores" section of the current Sale page.
    See: Attachment 1

The filters for specific software will override all other filters and display everything for that selection, regardless of the specific Artist or product selection.
    Seems that no one checked the new filter affect on the previous functionality.

In the example above, there are 8813 products in the underlying filters, when the "Daz Studio 4.20" filter is selected, all 20112 products are displayed, instead of the subset of the 8813 that match that software filter.
    See: Attachment 2

I have tried Chrome and Edge browsers and they both work the same, you can no longer filter a sale page by any of the other criteria, very disappointing to say the least.

Attachment_1.png
    1387 x 679 - 587K
    Attchment_2.png
    1387 x 697 - 574K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,472

JDStrider said:

Has anyone else noticed that the other filters don't work properly since this new check box was added?

Example: Go to a specific Artists page from the "Features Artist Stores" section of the current Sale page.
    See: Attachment 1

The filters for specific software will override all other filters and display everything for that selection, regardless of the specific Artist or product selection.
    Seems that no one checked the new filter affect on the previous functionality.

In the example above, there are 8813 products in the underlying filters, when the "Daz Studio 4.20" filter is selected, all 20112 products are displayed, instead of the subset of the 8813 that match that software filter.
    See: Attachment 2

I have tried Chrome and Edge browsers and they both work the same, you can no longer filter a sale page by any of the other criteria, very disappointing to say the least.

Noticed the same 

• ^This. Same here.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited September 2022

Please submit a ticket with all that info and screenshots so they can get it on the schedule.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575
    edited September 2022

Sven Dullah said:

Well maybe people should grow some skin on their noses?

If I were a customer here I'd be all for filters that make it easier and not harder to find content. Even more so if you could EXCLUDE stuff that you don't want to see. Not talking skimpwear now, I would for example never buy a pose set or a light set or a so called shader this and that, you know, stuff you can make yourself in ten minutes...having to wade through all these products to try and find something useful, you get the drift...or maybe you don't:)

...yeah poses and light sets I can do without and wouldn't mind bypassing when looking through the store.  Creating shaders and textures on the other hand is a different story as due to my arthritis, digital painting is pretty much out. I can do simple things, like change the name of a company on an aeroplane, the side of a delivery, van/truck or the destination sign on a bus/tram, but that's about it.  Creating anything intricate is a pain...literally.

Of course I also get weary of wading through dForce items as well (there actually is some G8 clothing and hair that is fitted rather than dynamic).

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • PixelSploiting said:

According to whatever AI algorithm is used for assigning those filter options, this is mature content in my wishlist:

I would suspect that might be deliberate - the main promos show bare (male) chest, the add-ons don't.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2022

kyoto kid said:

Creating shaders and textures on the other hand is a different story as due to my arthritis, digital painting is pretty much out. I can do simple things, like change the name of a company on an aeroplane, the side of a delivery, van/truck or the destination sign on a bus/tram, but that's about it.  Creating anything intricate is a pain...literally.

Of course I also get weary of wading through dForce items as well (there actually is some G8 clothing and hair that is fitted rather than dynamic).

Well, nothing wrong with buying shader presets, I just think they should be called just that, not shaders, to avoid confusion. And the product page could actually state: These presets are based on the IRay Uber or whatever shader is being used. Or, even more important, if the PA has made custom shaders, this should be clearly stated in the product description. BECAUSE those shaders can't be easily converted to non-MDL shaders. [rant over]

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Richard Haseltine said:

PixelSploiting said:

I would suspect that might be deliberate - the main promos show bare (male) chest, the add-ons don't.

I thought it was maybe because if we look carefuly, we can see bare fingers. ;)

Seriously though, If it`s because of a bare male chest, then that is just rediculous. Then they shouldn`t got to the beach, of the gym. Or in the case of where I live, they should be careful not to even walk down the side walk because lot`s of guys walk and jog here without shirts on. Me included.

I understand that it`s their site, but I just dont see anything in the store which would not be considered PG or PG-13 in real life. I see more skin on non cable TV, which is FCC regulated.

Just putting in my 2 cents.

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,138
    Totally understand this safe search filter thing, if there will be/already is an educational licence option. But basically except those architectural or nature or animal items nothing here is 100% safe... the main page promo image is already unsafe. It almost feels like there is a need to ask whether the user is over 18 just like at the main page of pr0n sites lol, not trying to be snarky though

Considering, how "well" the current filters/categories work, it's going to be interesting to see what is eventually categorized as "Mature"...

• frank0314 said:

Please submit a ticket with all that info and screenshots so they can get it on the schedule.

Better yet, how about Daz tech acting proactively and checking out JDStrider's post?

He/she went to the trouble of writing a clear description of the issue plus capturing and posting screenshots to illustrate the problem. The least Daz can do is to take 2 minutes to read the post, grab the info, and post a short note thanking JDStrider and promising to look into it.

That's how normal companies handle customer feedback.

• ColinFrench said:

frank0314 said:

Better yet, how about Daz tech acting proactively and checking out JDStrider's post?

He/she went to the trouble of writing a clear description of the issue plus capturing and posting screenshots to illustrate the problem. The least Daz can do is to take 2 minutes to read the post, grab the info, and post a short note thanking JDStrider and promising to look into it.

That's how normal companies handle customer feedback.

There are a lot of posts commenting on the initial release and updates, it is not a sensible use of their time to have support wade through the whole thread looking for things they should fix and it is not reliable to just have us hand it on - a ticket can be tracked and reviewed

• Maybe we can get a "Victorian Victoria" filter, which filters out ankles, in case anybody finds them too risque.

Sorry if I've triggered anybody by typing the word @nkle.

• PixelSploitingPixelSploiting Posts: 874
    edited September 2022

PerttiA said:

Considering, how "well" the current filters/categories work, it's going to be interesting to see what is eventually categorized as "Mature"...

It really looks they are using some kind of image recognition software for this. This initial weirdness is on pair with what I've seen with this kind of applications doing. AI's far more artificial than intelligent. cheeky

Post edited by PixelSploiting on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited September 2022

Another questionable "mature" content:

https://www.daz3d.com/generic-kids-shapes-for-genesis-8

Looks like kids like CNB Lien and the generic kids shapes are considered mature ... Ooopsie?

Post edited by Kerya on

An example of how 'good' the existing categorization works...

Where's the people and animals in this product?

Item1.JPG
    255 x 439 - 33K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

And another questionable "mature content" item:
    https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-spring-vibes-outfit-for-genesis-8-and-81-female

Also, the texture addon is NOT marked mature. I don't see any sense in showing a customer a texture set for a product that they can't even see to purchase.

This is the product marked as "mature". She's pretty covered neck to knee, including full long sleeves. Marking this "mature" must be an error.