The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

19495969798100»

Comments

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020
    NylonGirl said:

I have a complaint disguised as a suggestion. There should be some kind of rule that whoever gets to rename the thread can't be somebody who did more than one post in a row.

Actually when the late great Chohole was our most present Moderator for this thread, that was the rule.
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,189
    edited August 2023

Complaint:  Symphony season is over at Chautauqua.sad  However, I did make it to one symphony this season.  "Scheherazade"  Yay!yes

Non-complaint:  Yesterday I finally made arangements to get rid of my accumulated cardboard boxes for the last year.  It was getting to the point that even after unfolding them and stuffing them into a big, still assembled box, they were taking up an annoying amount of my living space.frown  This morning I didn't have to dance around a pile of boxes to get to my kitchen.  Yay!smiley  Yeah, yeah, I suppose I could have sent them out piecemeal with the regular garbage pick-up over time, but they don't separate garbage from trash, and the boxes wouldn't get recycled.indecision  So I save up my boxes and eventually, somehow, get to the recycling depot.

'Nother Non-complaint:  Also got rid of my broken mirror.yes  For the last 15 years, ever since I moved into this apartment, there has always been an unframed, cheap closet mirror (1x4 ft.) glued to the chimney in my living room.  Not that it did any good for anybody except children under 7, because it it only came up to my chest.  Great if I wanted to see if my fly was zipped, but not for anything else.cheeky  And to top it off, it had a 1 ft. crack from the center bottom upwards to the left side.frown  So for 15 years I've been ignoring that crack and mirror quite happily.  But a couple of weeks ago as I was sitting quietly zoning out on policecar chase videos, I hear a crash and tinkle two feet behind me and turn around to see the broken mirror corner shattered on the floor.  Oy!angry  I removed the glass pieces, vacuumed the area, and examined what was left on the chimney.  It was all coming loose, taking the previously obscured, 100 year old wall paper with it.  So, I carefully removed the rest of the mirror and set it aside until I decided what to do with it.  When the opportunity to get rid of my boxes came up, I finally decided that I wasn't going to try to use the remaining portion of the mirror, and figured I'd have to break it up into pieces to safely transport and dispose of it.  I don't have a glass cutter, but I do have a large collection of gems, rocks & minerals.  I don't have a diamond big enough to hang onto, so I took a plum sized chunk of Silicon Carbide(SiC) aka: Carborundum, or petrified unicorn poop.  With lots of sharp, harder than glass, projections to slice across the mirror to let me break it reliably into non-shattering 6 inch chunks.  The pieces were placed in a small box and taken to the recycling depot along with the boxes.smiley  https://www.prehistoricoregon.com/learn/what-is-a-mineral/silicon-carbide/

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876
    edited August 2023

TJohn said:

NylonGirl said:

I have a complaint disguised as a suggestion. There should be some kind of rule that whoever gets to rename the thread can't be somebody who did more than one post in a row.

Actually when the late great Chohole was our most present Moderator for this thread, that was the rule.

while I miss her for other reasons, her textures for the MFD are my favourites 

her enthusiasm for her volunteering as a moderator was not one of them devil

it actually was the reason I didn't post in this thread, I used to sometimes when Jaderail was around ...

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • TJohn said:

NylonGirl said:

If they are posted in quick succession we generally merge them, if there is a decent gap between them we leave them.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

WendyLuvsCatz said:

TJohn said:

NylonGirl said:

while I miss her for other reasons, her textures for the MFD are my favourites 

her enthusiasm for her volunteering as a moderator was not one of them devil

it actually was the reason I didn't post in this thread, I used to sometimes when Jaderail was around ...

...I still use her MFD textures. they even work on the G3F MFD.

• I think this counts as a complaint. I miss the days when clothing sets came with at least a few extra textures instead of just one, usually not very good one, and they weren't a seperate add-on. indecision

edited August 2023

...agreed. What's worse is sometimes there are no texture expansion sets so you have to make your own.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • zombietaggerung said:

I think this counts as a complaint. I miss the days when clothing sets came with at least a few extra textures instead of just one, usually not very good one, and they weren't a seperate add-on. indecision

I remember the days when clothing sets came with no textures, they were all extras (or DIY). There is, and always has been, a mix.

• Richard Haseltine said:

zombietaggerung said:

I think this counts as a complaint. I miss the days when clothing sets came with at least a few extra textures instead of just one, usually not very good one, and they weren't a seperate add-on. indecision

I remember the days when clothing sets came with no textures, they were all extras (or DIY). There is, and always has been, a mix.

I remember the days when 3d graphics didn't even exist and we all just had to use our imaginations. Form mental pictures of interesting things while we sat and stared at an empty field. smiley

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,511

I've found generic cloth textures to be fairly useful for the items that don't include all the textures.

edited August 2023

...one also has to be careful when retexturing clothing (or anything for that matter). 

Sometimes what looks like modelled details are created using bump maps so when a new shader is applied those details are lost or don't look right.  How the material zones are set up is also a factor..   For example, a skirt may have what appears to be a lace fringe, but it is not a separate mat zone.  You could use the Polygon editor tool to create a separate material zone, however that can be tedious and sometimes the edges of the detail involved do not precisely match up with the edges of the polygons in the mesh which can produce a ragged appearing seam.

Also items like shirts and full dresses often are dvided into front and back material zones which can create issues when applying shaders with intricate patterns.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

I was looking at Temu, but decided that their sales were more confusing than here.

I saw a wig that looked like they used 3D models to show a similar hair model, but definitely different.

oops forgot that there is still an upload picture problem.

edited August 2023

Non-complaint:  I finally did some gardening.  I hate gardening.   Avoided it all my life.  Even when I had nice houses, about the only thing I did regularly outside was mow the lawn.  My other half would garden, but not me.  But 30 years after he'd died, and now here in this apartment for 15 years, either the landlord, or the tenents in the other apartment would do the lawn mowing and any flower or vegetable planting that needed doing.  But for some reason this year, the neighbors have been leaving a little 4x8 foot patch to the side of my porch, alone.  I don't know why.  It's all weeds, and new, foot high, grass from the rerouting of the gas line and meter  last winter.  The weeds were taking over and encroaching up the siding, twisting around the phone and TV cable wires, and flopping onto my porch..  There was even a huge milkweed or some other big leafy plant that reached a height of 4 feet.  I gave the neighbors a couple of hints that I'm not planning on using that 4x8 plot of ground and to go ahead and mow it, but it remained untended, until this morning.  I rearanged half my storage area and finally found my  40 year old gardening cutters, last used by my other half, and attacked those weeds.  One two, one two, my vorpal blade went snicker-snack;  The weeds are dead, their bodies shred; I stuffed them quickly in a sack (Apologies to Lewis Carroll)blush

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

Hopefully this only shares the photos

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuBJpBEDj2l708FIMsOo9EpvqE8Fyw

When is the time that we can upload pics to these forums?  I forgot!

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,346

Sfariah D said:

In the middle of the night, maybe around 1 or 2 am your time. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,876

not yet

edited August 2023

Sfariah D said:

I was looking at Temu, but decided that their sales were more confusing than here.

I saw a wig that looked like they used 3D models to show a similar hair model, but definitely different.

oops forgot that there is still an upload picture problem.

..yeah I got a little pop up saying file could not be written to disk just a few minutes ago. 

Charlie Judge said:

Sfariah D said:

In the middle of the night, maybe around 1 or 2 am your time. 

...on a blue moon during an evening on day which begins with "R" in a month that ends in "X".

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,527

Should be working now... And the next 5 and half hours

Test.JPG
    279 x 174 - 18K

Is it just me or do these look like a version of Victoria?

20230818_004304000_iOS.jpg
    1628 x 1628 - 1M
    20230818_004249000_iOS.jpg
    1640 x 1635 - 1M
    20230818_004215000_iOS.jpg
    1640 x 1627 - 1M
    20230818_004144000_iOS.jpg
    1640 x 1634 - 1M

Complaint:  Argh...  I'd forgotten how many DAZ products I have.  I went looking for something in my old old producs for M3 and got lost in the forest.frown

I have 17,804 photos in my iCloud.  I find it so difficult to find a particular photo.

Complaint:  Yet another incarnation of the ".[Something Something] Complaint Thread" has reached the end of life.crying

How about, "The Ongoing Unimportant Complaint Thread"? 

I'm tired, but I need to get the day started.

I don't even care anymore.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,020

And I don't  care any less.

Oscar Wilde had a comment about carelessness.  Had something to do with misplaced parents.

A parent happens to be the one who has been driving me crazy the last two days. I am glad she's not misplaced though.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Misplaced parrots... The Misplaced Parrots Complaint Thread.

edited August 2023

I hate the new layout as I have to go to the top of the forum pages to go to another topic.

-----------------------------------

No need to scroll up to visit this thread, though https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/647086/the-indifferent-complaint-thread

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
This discussion has been closed.