The I Miss the Old Days Complaint Thread

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
edited November 2022 in The Commons

This discussion was created from comments split from: Oh, Misty, I forgot my Complaint Thread.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
    edited November 2022

Non-Complaint: RAM is getting cheap. I just bought 32 gb for $65 to upgrade my old computer to its 64 gb max

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702

Complaint! Old thread closed before I could finish my post.  Watching a sports game in WI and it is a tied game. Two minutes left?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I am against it.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010

Oooo a nice new thread (wipes feet on rug, sits in "The Comfy Chair" and makes himself at home).

• I've been watching "The Crown" latest season on NetFlix and it finally dawned on me that I've lived through the entire reign of Queen Elizabeth II.indecision  

• I'm opposed to it on general principles.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,570

Charlie Judge said:

Non-Complaint: RAM is getting cheap. I just bought 32 gb for $65 to upgrade my old computer to its 64 gb max

...DDR4, correct?  

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436

Welp. I was proven wrong about algebra. Thank you for the replies ^^

When I was back in school, I think there were seven maths groups, and I was in group five. Only students in the higher groups studied Trigonometry (thankfully). I sucked at everything.

@McGyver: I don't how you come up with your posts. They're brilliant. laugh  (I think you maybe onto something about the whole "parlour" thing. Although in the UK, managers of these places are much more brazen - They have a "bring your panda to work day". It happens once a year - at least). 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our kitten has swallowed a tiny bit of cotton wool. I hope he'll be okay :/

Gah! I'm so sick of being brushed off.  

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,322
    edited November 2022

kyoto kid said:

Charlie Judge said:

...DDR4, correct?  

Correct. But a major brand and a couple of years ago the same memory was over $300. 

...interesting.  I imagine it's PC memory not  ECC.

• @ KK: I guess so. It is Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) C16 Memory Kit.

Why doesn't G8 textures work on G9?

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited November 2022

Regarding algebra:  It depends on what you consider as algebra.  i.e. Figuring percentages is basic algebra.  "What is 15 percent of 60?" 

X=(15/100)*(60)

Allocating children's allowances is basic algebra:  "The 13 year old child(Y) gets half again as much as the 7 year old(X)" 

Y = X + X/2

Being able to do it in your head is just a miracle of nature.yes

On the other hand, "Tensor Analysis", "Hamiltonians", "Fourier Transforms", "Matrix transposition", yeah, they're not part of my daily requirements anymore.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited November 2022

But for a satisfying afternoon, bury yourself in trigonometric identities.  Wheee, it's a fun filled place where one can make a silk purse from a sow's ear!devil  However, again, not part of my daily activities anymore.indecision

And for new levels of revelation, start doing your algebra with Imaginary and Complex numbers.  That's where the magic happens, impossible things turn real and pop out of the woodwork, and you can pull a rabbit from a hat.smiley

And although I don't play with calculus or differential equations anymore, I still grasp its intention when I see it in equations.  I just trust that the author, has all his Ps & Qs in a row and his conclusion is correct.  I don't go out of my way to verify his solution myself, but do, once in a while, spend a few thoughts about fragments of processes I was once familiar with, like how factoring a polynomial helps simplify the solution.smiley

• beregarberegar Posts: 268

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that for some folks hearing gunshots weekly or even monthly is a regular thing. Even less that it's apparently now happens in some places in my country as well - and not because of hunting. Where I live we hear them only during the hunting season and even then just a few times a year.

I finally put up the bird feeders for this winter and the damn things are empty already. I blame crows, magpies and squirreles though I did see a great spotted woodpecker and a ton of tits (the birds, not the ones in the G9 debate threads) around the feeders as well.

Gess I'm the only one feeding them this winter again...

edited November 2022

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." -- H. L. Mencken

"Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy." -- H. L. Mencken

"The best teacher is not the one who knows most but the one who is most capable of reducing knowledge to that simple compound of the obvious and wonderful. -- H. L. Mencken

"I am suspicious of all the things that the average people believe." -- H. L. Mencken

• hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024

"Tradition  -  peer pressure from dead people" - unknown

Fudd's First Law of Opposition ("If you push something hard enough, it will fall over"), and Teslicle's Deviant ("What comes in, must go out") - Firesign Theatre

I want to cry but I don't have the energy.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Wait... are we doing wise sayings?... I've collected a ton of them, mostly through meditation and alcohol mediated interpretation. 
    Here are a few...

"A bird in the hand is better than two badgers in the pants"  -Sir Walter Troutsnogger III, 1878

"Regret is like a hippopotamus on a unicycle"   -Albrect Phartzkopf, 1799

"An army of sheep led by a lion, is still better than an army of penguins led by a cow"  -Biblical quote.

"Good friends are like stars... eventually they all expand really large and explode"   -Edwin Hubble while a bit drunk, 1939

"He who walks a plethron without sympathy, walks to his funeral dressed as a donkey".  -Ancient Greek fortune cookie fortune

And one with graphics...

The wisdom of AI generated potatoes is hard to deny.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Sfariah said:

I want to cry but I don't have the energy.

You might need KryNow... it's an app that cries for you and produces a really sad NFT of a kitten in a microwave or a baby seal about to club a hunter.

Its a subscription that's a monthly fee with an option for a more expensive weekly fee plus it's $200 to generate the NFT with the additional guilt of knowing the NFT used as much electricity as Paraguay did last year, just to mint it, plus when you hit the "Mint" button an entire litter of puppies gets an electric shock.

It's very good when one doesn't have the energy to cry... but if you do have the energy and don't have the motivation, just read the news.

Charlie Judge said:

@ KK: I guess so. It is Corsair CMK32GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz (PC4-21300) C16 Memory Kit.

...yeah that's standard PC memory. 

I am looking at server components to get a high core count CPU while still on W7. Broadwell Xeons are about the last generation CPUs before the move to Kaby Lake which requires W10/11. (Skylake is the last but tend to be more expensive and exclusive to data centres).  Not going to go into why anymore other than saying its a personal choice.

As to the CPU I can get a 16 core E5-2683v4 for under 400$ from a reputable source. However the downside is EEC memory is more expensive than PC memory so no 65$ deals here. For 64 GB of DDR4 2133 Kingston ECC memory the cost is about 225$.  the interesting part is moving to 128 GB doesn't cost much more as for 4 x 32 DDR4 2133 is 258$  the one rub is the motherboard as LGA 2011-3 ATX tower boards are not easy to find new these days, though I did find one at Newegg with 4 PCIe 3.0x16 slots for 379$ . So for about 1030$ I will have a pretty respectable system  with a 16 core/32 thread CPU and 128 GB of memory even given it's a few generations old, as it still supports W7.

Yeah, I know it limits me given W7 reached EOL over 2 years ago, but that hasn't stopped me.  I have a driver that works for Iray rendering (5 revisions above the current required one for Daz Iray).  I also still mess around with 3DL and Carrara so that is where the core count and memory is important.  Also who knows, maybe Daz5 sill might make use of all CPU cores in the assembly phase (which would be a real blessing). Carrara is still the best for large scale environment creation, all it needs is a bridge to Daz. to import characters (odd they don't have one when they have them for non Daz software).  3DL using Wowies Awe Shader system (which I understand is getting another update) and scripted rendering it  opens more capabilities of the render engine allowing for near photo real quality.  

At this stage in life I'm done keeping up with the Joneses particularly as I am on a fixed income.  I just need a system that's reliable and is capable of supporting the work I do

LeatherGryphon said:

But for a satisfying afternoon, bury yourself in trigonometric identities.  Wheee, it's a fun filled place where one can make a silk purse from a sow's ear!devil  However, again, not part of my daily activities anymore.indecision

And for new levels of revelation, start doing your algebra with Imaginary and Complex numbers.  That's where the magic happens, impossible things turn real and pop out of the woodwork, and you can pull a rabbit from a hat.smiley

And although I don't play with calculus or differential equations anymore, I still grasp its intention when I see it in equations.  I just trust that the author, has all his Ps & Qs in a row and his conclusion is correct.  I don't go out of my way to verify his solution myself, but do, once in a while, spend a few thoughts about fragments of processes I was once familiar with, like how factoring a polynomial helps simplify the solution.smiley

...then there's 3 dimensional matrix algebra.   

I actually took a course in it.  The  60 page text was 30$ back in the 1980s.

I overheard someone talking about finding a computer for about $80 or so at Walmart.  They also found an iPad for under a hundred.

I found the iPad deal on the Walmart app.  I also found the Chromebook deal too.

I found the specs of the refurbished iPad and the Chromebook.

72ECF625-E4B1-47BC-900A-95CCBAC7594B.jpeg
    990 x 1779 - 398K
    1C17136B-DE44-4DD2-9929-37E706F007CD.jpeg
    997 x 1731 - 601K
    F715D4EF-30D0-4B8F-8F91-BDCF076DF039.jpeg
    1008 x 2153 - 803K
    35C7A849-0ED5-48F6-B42C-BB3846961CD2.jpeg
    1008 x 2111 - 527K
    E6EA9DD4-ED05-4ED1-B856-4FD85A754F65.jpeg
    977 x 2132 - 599K
    49F81FF4-0BFE-4536-BE34-91315A41F795.jpeg
    1008 x 2064 - 279K
    2C487DE9-6960-41C9-A4B5-8A065CCD3D9A.jpeg
    973 x 2104 - 518K

Actually I think the GPU of a Laptop I want would cost more than that Chromebook.  If I am getting a new computer, I want it to have a nVidia GPU for sure.

hacsart said:

Fudd's First Law of Opposition ("If you push something hard enough, it will fall over"), and Teslicle's Deviant ("What comes in, must go out") - Firesign Theatre

Well there's at least two Bozos on this bus, anyway.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

TJohn said:

hacsart said:

We're all Bozos on this bus!

Dana 

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

hacsart said:

Dana 

Don't forget to let the air out your shoes. 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

TJohn said:

DanaTA said:

TJohn said:

hacsart said:

Dana 

Don't forget to let the air out your shoes. 

Oddly enough, there were some shoes that you could pump up with air for cushioning.  I wonder if that's where they got the idea?  wink

Dana 

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,559

Do you mean like the old days when V4 joint bends had serious deformation issues. At least 16 years ago we could put it down to the low-level technology at that time. But I'm not sure that the same excuse can be used with a brand new model with exactly the same bend problems as V4 had in 2006, ie G9.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 1,983
    edited November 2022

kyoto kid said:

...interesting.  I imagine it's PC memory not  ECC.

+  Just  a couple paragrahs  _   good though  +  Thanx

Crucial,com
    ECC vs. non-ECC - What do I Have and Can I Mix?

https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/ecc-vs-non-ecc ;

Post edited by ed3D on
This discussion has been closed.