A Thread for Items with the "Editorial License"

Comments

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,099
    edited January 10

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

BeeMKay said:

Updated for the https://www.daz3d.com/supra-a90

ok I'm confused now this and a lot of these products with the editorial license are Daz+ products and under this we're not to profit from renders using said products including contests correct? So how does that work with Daz render contests here? As I haven't looked at the Daz + members forum here for awhile so I doin't know about previous products but this weeks challenge includes the supra-a90 as one of the product entries to render

Jack just automatically pastes in all of the new releases into the contest, so that's why they're there, but technically you are not supposed to use those images commercially. It's kind of a matter of "would you get sued for using it in a close-forum contest" which might be considered unlikely, and "would you risk getting sued for using it in a close-forum contest" which is your evaluation of the possibility of said lawsuit and your risk tolerance.

I personally prefer to stay on the safe side, no matter how "unlikely" the consequnces might be (because if I don't use EL, I don't have to worry about them at all).

Post edited by joanna on
  • joanna said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

BeeMKay said:

ok I'm confused now this and a lot of these products with the editorial license are Daz+ products and under this we're not to profit from renders using said products including contests correct? So how does that work with Daz render contests here? As I haven't looked at the Daz + members forum here for awhile so I doin't know about previous products but this weeks challenge includes the supra-a90 as one of the product entries to render

Jack just automatically pastes in all of the new releases into the contest, so that's why they're there, but technically you are not supposed to use those images commercially. It's kind of a matter of "would you get sued for using it in a close-forum contest" which might be considered unlikely, and "would you risk getting sued for using it in a close-forum contest" which is your evaluation of the possibility of said lawsuit and your risk tolerance.

I personally prefer to stay on the safe side, no matter how "unlikely" the consequnces might be (because if I don't use EL, I don't have to worry about them at all).

thank you for confirming this was the case, Jack's a nice guy so I wouldn't get upset with him over this but it does prove the point of this thread if a product with the editorial license can blind side a mod or anyone else here that that works here in some capacity then for us to get caught out is pretty easy to too and even if it was allowed to enter these products in contests here and personally I've been tempted to buy a lot ofthem I'd forget which ones had the editoral license easily and quickly and probably using them in render I sell which I do now so buying these products is way too much of a risk of me forgetting whats what and screwing up some might say how would they know what you use well I'm not risking it others probably get away with but I wouldn't I'm paranoid about that

• BrashFinkBrashFink Posts: 90

I just put a comment in the Daz-Deals Plugin thread suggesting they could do something... like change the entire page background to yellow or something when you hit one of these.

If that could get some traction, it would be sweet.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Editorial License Items List (Listing/report only, no discussion!).
  • ANGELREAPER1972 said:

joanna said:

ANGELREAPER1972 said:

BeeMKay said:

thank you for confirming this was the case, Jack's a nice guy so I wouldn't get upset with him over this but it does prove the point of this thread if a product with the editorial license can blind side a mod or anyone else here that that works here in some capacity then for us to get caught out is pretty easy to too and even if it was allowed to enter these products in contests here and personally I've been tempted to buy a lot ofthem I'd forget which ones had the editoral license easily and quickly and probably using them in render I sell which I do now so buying these products is way too much of a risk of me forgetting whats what and screwing up some might say how would they know what you use well I'm not risking it others probably get away with but I wouldn't I'm paranoid about that

Moved to the discussion thread

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,728

In the DAZ+ forum, Jack indicated sale numbers support having editorial items in the store. So, some of us won't buy them because of the EL. Others apparently will and do.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,388

I'm kind of wondering why the Cyberpunk Outfit from the new Jennie 9 bundle hasn't been given an Editorial Licence, given it's a near exact copy of Lucy Kushinada's outfit from the "Cyberpunk" franchise - and that kind of thing has been enough to get other things given the licence. (I'm aware another vendor did a version of this same outfit for G8, but that was before Daz were really implementing ELs).

As much as I'm not a fan of how ELs are implemented (I think they need to be much better flagged, and I still think their legal text is contradictory and not what is intended), I do agree that it is a good thing for Daz to inform end-users when products are derivative - not everyone knows every piece of media, it's not possible to reasonably use this commercially anyway, and I'm sure an artist doesn't want to get a surprise someway into a project that their character has been unintentionally cosplaying.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,728
    edited January 11

Lots of things slip through the cracks. Can't be helped! Could be that pointing it out will cause a review. Or not.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

Matt_Castle said:

I'm kind of wondering why the Cyberpunk Outfit from the new Jennie 9 bundle hasn't been given an Editorial Licence, given it's a near exact copy of Lucy Kushinada's outfit from the "Cyberpunk" franchise -

Oh Wow, that's pretty blatant surprise 

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,946

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Not really... I see enough differences between the two that probably makes possible use the Standard License instead of the editorial one.

Just look at the pants, the holes' positions and the few shapes on the cloth, it's just "really resemblant" not identical.

• BrashFinkBrashFink Posts: 90

Imago said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Not really... I see enough differences between the two that probably makes possible use the Standard License instead of the editorial one.

Just look at the pants, the holes' positions and the few shapes on the cloth, it's just "really resemblant" not identical.

Jeez, it's close enough though that I wouldn't want to put it in my work. I have not played 2077 yet so I would have had no idea. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,304

Matt_Castle said:

Lucy Kushinada's outfit from the "Cyberpunk" franchise

That page just became my favorite place on the internet.

• BrashFink said:

Imago said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Jeez, it's close enough though that I wouldn't want to put it in my work. I have not played 2077 yet so I would have had no idea. 

She isn't from the video game. Lucy appears in the Netflix anime series Cyberpunk Edgerunners, which is set slightly earlier and done in collaboration with CD Projekt Red.

And yes it is pretty close to her usual outfit.

• Just a reminder that we are, in general, not lawyers (and those who are do not have a client relationship with us) so please avoid making comments that are tantamount to legal advice - reporting/linking to information is fine, but we need to be wary of actually judging or asserting its applicability. That doesn't interfere with flagging up products that have editorial licenses.

• Matt_Castle said:

I'm kind of wondering why the Cyberpunk Outfit from the new Jennie 9 bundle hasn't been given an Editorial Licence, given it's a near exact copy of Lucy Kushinada's outfit from the "Cyberpunk" franchise - and that kind of thing has been enough to get other things given the licence. (I'm aware another vendor did a version of this same outfit for G8, but that was before Daz were really implementing ELs).

That's not the only one. There's also https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-infiltrator-suit-for-genesis-8-and-81-female that was released barely over a year ago. I immediately thought it odd that the motif was doubled down on for Jennie 9, to be frank.

Yeah, that's the older G8 one I was referring to (Ruris does do mostly versions of existing anime outfits), but at that point Daz were just dipping their toes in the water with a few Daz+ ELs, and I don't think they'd yet been applied to any vendor items.

The EL strategy/approach has clearly become more prolific over the intervening year, so I'm surprised Daz didn't apply it here.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,942

another one but not surprising, the Spyder

https://www.daz3d.com/nova-gt-spyder

• deepred6502deepred6502 Posts: 298

WendyLuvsCatz said:

another one but not surprising, the Spyder

https://www.daz3d.com/nova-gt-spyder

And it all started when a man making tractors was rudely fobbed off by Enzo Ferrari.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,295

More of this **&^&(&^

https://www.daz3d.com/488-pista-evo

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,623

Robert Freise said:

More of this **&^&(&^

Why didn't they change the logo into a bunny rabbit? 

• PerttiA said:

Robert Freise said:

More of this **&^&(&^

There was that little episode where Deadmaus modified the logo on his F458 to a pouncing cat.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,623

deepred6502 said:

PerttiA said:

Robert Freise said:

More of this **&^&(&^

There was that little episode where Deadmaus modified the logo on his F458 to a pouncing cat.

But that was a modification to a real car that was manufactured by Ferrari, now we are talking about a bunch of vertices that could represent a lawn mower if it wasn't for the logo

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,353

I bought Tango Alpha's 488 Pista Evo for $2.93. Where can you get a Ferrari cheaper? ;-)

PerttiA said:

But that was a modification to a real car that was manufactured by Ferrari, now we are talking about a bunch of vertices that could represent a lawn mower if it wasn't for the logo

Maybe it's this lawnmower?

• caravelle said:

I bought Tango Alpha's 488 Pista Evo for $2.93. Where can you get a Ferrari cheaper? ;-)

One that happened to "roll off the back of a transporter truck".

• DripDrip Posts: 1,151
  • PitmaticPitmatic Posts: 801

I assume this should be editorial too

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-sci-fi-pilot-suit-for-genesis-9 but i cant see it?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,090

Pitmatic said:

I assume this should be editorial too

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-sci-fi-pilot-suit-for-genesis-9 but i cant see it?

The add-on definitely needs the editorial licence since it's a clear reference, but the original outfit might be generic enough not to require it.

• edited February 29
    Drip said:
    I seriously doubt the EL will keep the LFL/Disneylawyers away. I am an officer in 1 of the best known Star Wars cosplay clubs. The IP owners have had us and members of our sister club do official events and LFL/Disney doesn't even let us profit from their IP.
    Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on
  •  

Drip said:

Both dForce Sci-Fi Pilot Suit for Genesis 9 Rebel Texture Add-On
    and
    dForce Daybreak Outfit BSG Add-On
    have Editorial Licensing. Not surprising though

THIS is exactly why I have always bought most of my content from here instead of other sites. Now this kind of stuff is here too.

So disappointing.