"V3D HDR Master Bundle" (Commercial)

Comments

• Time to read the manual, the first attempt with the Creator didn't quite work laugh

• V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049

Tell me what happened to you...

• V3Digitimes said:

Well, it complained that it couldn't find the .exr, no name given. I tried again and it worked this time. So probably a user error lol.

If you are planning an update, I have a suggestion: when a user clicks inside a input field e.g. 2nd tab Name for the HDRI files, that it clears the existing text which in this example is Please Enter Filename Here, without special characters or extensions

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,837

Thanks for the comments and the tips. I really enjoy the speed of rendering these maps.

I wonder, if 16K HDR (16000 by 8000) could be rendered. Where these render size limits are set?

What about usage of V3DHDRC 06 Clean Data Files? Where these files are created?

I do not see them in the output subdirectory.

• Artini said:

Another example of HDRI made from https://www.daz3d.com/urban-future-6

Rendering Time: 2 minutes 23.63 seconds with 2 Genesis 9 characters.

I would be inclined to add some cube primitives with Iray Matte enabled (Apply Advanced Iray Node Proeprties script) to act as shadow catchers for the walls,

DoctorJellybean said:

V3Digitimes said:

Well, it complained that it couldn't find the .exr, no name given. I tried again and it worked this time. So probably a user error lol.

If you are planning an update, I have a suggestion: when a user clicks inside a input field e.g. 2nd tab Name for the HDRI files, that it clears the existing text which in this example is Please Enter Filename Here, without special characters or extensions

Well if it complained that you had no name given, it's probably because nothing was written in the name area of tab 2 (it's normally the only case this message pops). I'll have a look at the code though. For your suggestion, I'll have a look if I can catch the signal of the line being clicked... But I'll have to think if removing the "sentence" too fast is not an issue. By the way, enter a name and click on "save" button at the bottom. This way you'll never have the sentence again.
    edited March 2023

Artini said:

Thanks for the comments and the tips. I really enjoy the speed of rendering these maps.

I wonder, if 16K HDR (16000 by 8000) could be rendered. Where these render size limits are set?

Super easy (even if I plan to update the product to raise the limits when necessary) :

- go in "Render Settings" tab - left click on "General" group (on the left on this tab)

- left click on the "Gear" or "Wheel" shape on the top right of the "Pixel Size (Global)" control area.

- choose parameters settings and uncheck use limits (here in my image you see 20 000 as max limit, it's because I just played by script with it, normally you should see 10 000 written).

edit : the clean data file is here when after rendering a lot, you have TONS of renders in your list of tab 3. Then you can "clean" (remove the files who might have moved or deleted), and reduce the size of this list. By default the size reduction is 600 files (you keep your 600 latest renders), but if you want another value (10, 100, 27) you just have to change the number of the HistorySize text file you have in the data (replace 600 by the number you want).

I join an image. I'll update the product so that this is invisible for the user and made by the script.

limits off.JPG
    951 x 407 - 71K
    Post edited by V3Digitimes on

Richard Haseltine said:

Artini said:

I would be inclined to add some cube primitives with Iray Matte enabled (Apply Advanced Iray Node Proeprties script) to act as shadow catchers for the walls,

Thanks a lot for these recommendations Richard. Indeed, it could create a much better interaction with the wall!

Richard Haseltine said:

Artini said:

Thanks for the tip, Richard. I have not created the shadow catchers myself,

so it will something new for me to explore.

V3Digitimes said:

Artini said:

Super easy (even if I plan to update the product to raise the limits when necessary) :

- go in "Render Settings" tab - left click on "General" group (on the left on this tab)

- left click on the "Gear" or "Wheel" shape on the top right of the "Pixel Size (Global)" control area.

- choose parameters settings and uncheck use limits (here in my image you see 20 000 as max limit, it's because I just played by script with it, normally you should see 10 000 written).

I join an image. I'll update the product so that this is invisible for the user and made by the script.

Thanks. Will try it to see the difference in renders and rendering time of the HDRs.

edited March 2023

No problem, you'll have a minimum 15 minutes I think for a 16k, but I don't know how much longer it can take. PS : in case you did no see it , I updated my latest answer to you for the "clean data file".

And don't forget the denoiser!

V3Digitimes said:

No problem, you'll have a minimum 15 minutes I think for a 16k, but I don't know how much longer it can take. PS : in case you did no see it , I updated my latest answer to you for the "clean data file".

And don't forget the denoiser!

Thanks. I have noticed that, but I am afraid, that rendering HDRs with denoiser will take much longer time.

Not that much, if I were you I would give a try. If you're fed up with the render, you can cancel, you should have your render anyway (normally...)...

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

I tried doing an indoor one and what I got was totally white except where the window frames are (all black but very ragged).  There are a bunch of ghost lights and the preview render looks fine but it seems like it handles them differently in the final render and you get a super bright environment, like filming on the surface of the sun, just pure intense light everywhere..  I was able to get it to show up as a background and provide lights to properly illuminate my characters by making the environment intensity super low, like 0.1 or something but weirdly all the firniture in the room was rotated 180 degrees (i.e. it's a round room and it's like the entire structure rotate 180 degress so the furniture is all on the opposite walls from where it was). All I can think is that all the firnuture was all grouped together and the room was in a seperate group and they seemed to sort of been rendered 180degrees out of phase by the speherical camera.  Bug or expected behavior?  Either way I will try to avoid that situation with multiple distinct groups again.

I guess I have to try again with something a little simpler and no ghost lights.  Back to the drawing board...

edited March 2023

Very weird.

Can you answer these questions for me :

- for the render, did you check the "safe mode" option in the second tab? It must be checked when you have a scene where you have scene lights, otherwise indeed you may end up with all white renders where you have to apply a very low environment intensity to compensate. But normally, once the "safe mode" is checked, you come back to a render with normal levels of light for your result. edit : I just checked on a few interior scenes with gosth lights that, if you check the "SAFE MODE", then it works fine in term of light intensity. I used the ghost light kit 1 of kindred art.

- for the furniture rotation, I had never had such issues in my renders. Yet I made several interior renders, some with groups of elements, and I never saw that before. There is absolutely not reason, as far as I know, that the spherical camera treats a group differently from the rest. My question would be, if, instead of rendering an exr with the exr script, you simply render a png via Daz Studio "normal" render (click render, or CRTL +R), is this group also inverted on the png image you render? edit : I just re-rendered my "Briefing Room" (that I know perfectly since I created it), with ghost lights and groups, and as for the other scenes I rendered with groups I have no issue. Have you created a preset out of your HDRI and applied it as the environment map of your scene? Because sometimes when you look directly the 360 degree renders, you may have weird impressions (that disappear when you use the image as a hdr).

Thanks for your answers, as I'm working on an update, it would be cool to have inputs about this so that I see if it's there is something I have to do or not.

edited March 2023

.... Maybe I should pop a message when people launch a render to say that if they use scene light them must check the "safe mode" option... It's annoying to have a message poping but I'm not sure enough people read the documentation to see that (and an "auto safe mode", which is an alternate solution, would drastically slow down the process before rendering). Any opinion about that choice ? (the popup is safer than no popup but annoying)....

• V3Digitimes said:

.... Maybe I should pop a message when people launch a render to say that if they use scene light them must check the "safe mode" option... It's annoying to have a message poping but I'm not sure enough people read the documentation to see that (and an "auto safe mode", which is an alternate solution, would drastically slow down the process before rendering). Any opinion about that choice ? (the popup is safer than no popup but annoying)....

Well, on the first tab there is a big empty space at the bottom. Maybe you could put additional info like that in there instead?

edited March 2023

Experiment with the HDR of dimensions 16000 by 8000 pixels made of https://www.daz3d.com/ice-land

This HDR has an impressive file size on the disk: 1.29 GBytes

Rendering Time of this HDR was: 4 minutes 50 seconds

Then the scene using this HDR with 2 llamas from https://www.daz3d.com/loveable-llamas and two Genesis 8 based characters.

Rendering Time: 3 minutes 20.71 seconds

Llama01sc03pic01gh.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 814K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2023

I did not chck safe mode. that would have required me to read the manual and I never do that  smiley

Regarding the second question, I used button on the script and the file it created is an EXR. It's a scene of the Oval Office of the President of the USA. Instead of being near the windows the desk is now by the fireplace and the fireplace furniture is by the windows, only on the EXR background though.  It was an experiment and I had to do all sorts of texture stuff because it was an old file and textures were lost and I didn't save it afterwards, regrettable. But here's the environment rendered out (turns out I had to set intensity to like .00001 to get it to look like this.  

I'll try again!!

Post edited by grinch2901 on

DoctorJellybean said:

V3Digitimes said:

Well, on the first tab there is a big empty space at the bottom. Maybe you could put additional info like that in there instead?

Excellent idea, plus it would better balance the size of each tab ! I can do this, plus, once a day only (if I manage to do so), a message telling people to activate the safe mode if they have scene lights!

V3Digitimes said:

Personally I'd prefer some explantory text by the check box over having to always close some pop up every time. Right now it just says safe mode supresses warning so it's not at all clear that you need it if you have scene lights.  If you do go the pop-up route maybe make it so it can be dismissed and not shown again. Some will still have problems because they dont read pop-ups before dismissing them but then again, those people probably won't be helped by pop-ups in general, will they?

Artini said:

Experiment with the HDR of dimensions 16000 by 8000 pixels made of https://www.daz3d.com/ice-land

Then the scene using this HDR with 2 llamas from https://www.daz3d.com/loveable-llamas and two Genesis 8 based characters.

Lol, the more you render, the more you add figures in your scenes... Where will this end !?!? The rendering time of the hdr for this size was very fast, I'm pretty astonished, except if there is not a lot of things in the rendered scene... Well anyway cool render, I love the lamas!

grinch2901 said:

I did not chck safe mode. that would have required me to read the manual and I never do that  smiley

Regarding the second question, I used button on the script and the file it created is an EXR. It's a scene of the Oval Office of the President of the USA. Instead of being near the windows the desk is now by the fireplace and the fireplace furniture is by the windows, only on the EXR background though.  It was an experiment and I had to do all sorts of texture stuff because it was an old file and textures were lost and I didn't save it afterwards, regrettable. But here's the environment rendered out (turns out I had to set intensity to like .00001 to get it to look like this.  

I'll try again!!

OK, first of all the 0.00001 you mention is typical of the "safe mode" not checked... So for this I'm pretty confident. For the furniture, what do you mean by "only on the exr background?". It's not clear for me, do you have the walls as the background and the furniture as real objects? If it's the case, simply rotate your dome in "render settings", "environment", "dome rotation". If it's not the case, I'd like to know what is this product so that I can test it on my side...
    edited March 2023

grinch2901 said:

V3Digitimes said:

Personally I'd prefer some explantory text by the check box over having to always close some pop up every time. Right now it just says safe mode supresses warning so it's not at all clear that you need it if you have scene lights.  If you do go the pop-up route maybe make it so it can be dismissed and not shown again. Some will still have problems because they dont read pop-ups before dismissing them but then again, those people probably won't be helped by pop-ups in general, will they?

I answered your previous message in my previous post. For the explanatory text, I have a "space" issue to place text, except, as mentioned before, on the first tab. I'll have a look if I can have the message popping up only once a day when people launch a render. This is better than "all the time"... And for people who even don't read the popups, I'm afraid they cannot be saved... I have to go to bed, but I'd be glad to know tomorrow if your issues were solved by the safe mode and/or the dome rotation (if I understood well what you did). Edit : in the meantime, I tested two additional interiors I never tested before and have no "light" (safe mode!) or "group rotation" issue. So strange.. As an example an image the "Briefing Room" I made, here it is the Envirnment Map only, environment intensity a 1, the  initial light was a simple ghost light, all the groups are in place as they should be...

briefing hdr.JPG
    625 x 351 - 33K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

Artini said:

The lighting on the characters and animals looks very bright and harsh compared to the overcast HDRI scene. Look at the dark sharp shadow on the llama on the right side of the image compared to the dim soft shadows on the ground. Have you added other lights (other than the light provided by the HDRI environment)?

edited March 2023

V3Digitimes said:

OK, first of all the 0.00001 you mention is typical of the "safe mode" not checked... So for this I'm pretty confident. For the furniture, what do you mean by "only on the exr background?". It's not clear for me, do you have the walls as the background and the furniture as real objects? If it's the case, simply rotate your dome in "render settings", "environment", "dome rotation". If it's not the case, I'd like to know what is this product so that I can test it on my side...

What I mean is that the actual furniture is still in place in the 3D viewport. I can move it around, all that. Only when rendered  via the script does it all appear on the other side of the room.  After the render completes and I'm back using a normal camera the furishings are all where I expect them to be.  I'll do some more experiments and let you know, hopefully it was a weird one-off thing and never happens again

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

It's probably the case a spot was probably added, as the exr maps are in general very representative of the environment lights. The first tests were made by 'simply' making 4k exr maps of commercial hdr environments to see how it behaved in term of lighting, and it was fine. Plus, here on the image the hard shadow is limited to the projection of the human figure on the lama and does not appear on the ground, "underneath"  the figures, (this 'super soft'  floor shadow we see is more representative of the cloudy sky we see behind).

@grinch2901 : thanks for having a deeper look at it. Can you tell me what product it is (and PM me the info in case it is not a Daz Studio Product). Because I'd really try to test it. I need to know, to see if I have something to patch, a specific case of figure which was never tested so far...

edited March 2023

Thanks for all of the comments.

Yes, I have added some sunlight to get better view on Genesis 8 faces,

but I am aware, that it looks a bit artificial.

Without the additional light the faces was almost black.

I have choosen https://www.daz3d.com/ice-land to create 16K HDR

beacause of the tested rendering time of its 8K version - it was only 1 minute 15 seconds.

Post edited by Artini on

The other thoughts about this bundle.

How is it with the placement of the camera?

From the documentation:

If you launch it directly, it will add a camera located where your current
    camera (or view) is located, but at an altitude (y) of 150 cm and with x and z
    rotation locked at 0 (important value for your environment generation).

I do not know, if I am doing something wrong, but V3DHDRC camera is not created

at the current view or the camera selected. I need always to adjust the view

from the created V3DHDRC camera.

Any tips on that?