"V3D HDR Master Bundle" (Commercial)

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Lonesome Cowboy said:

my result is pixelated.

I rendered a scene in UltraScenery, but the result .exr is pixelated.

I let the settings by default except the pathes. I also set the luminance to 3.

What's wrong here?

Thanks

4000 by 2000 is very small for an HDRI to be used as a visible background in Daz Studio. Since 4000 pixels covers the entire 360 degree view and your rendered image is looking at only a small part of the 360 degree dome, those view pixels are being zoomed up, causing the blockiness you see. It is not a fault of the tool, it is just the way 360 degree domes work. You need to render a larger HDRI, like 16000 by 8000.

Lonesome Cowboy said:

barbult said:

Trying to render large complex scenes to HDR causes my computer to fall to CPU when it tries to start denoising, because of not enough memory (on GPU, I assume). I also get those fireflies in that case. Check you DS log and see if that is what is happening to you.

i guess you have already set the Instancing Optimization to "Memory"?
    Fireflies appear when there is a problem with the light.

Last time yesterday i got ff when i added the Tenebroso Softlights to my UltraScenery Scene: They didn't enlighten the scene but produced Fireflies.

Denoising didn't have any effect on my scene. Because the Daz denoiser is very bad, i am using a better one. I am using the denoiser from Declan Russell. This is the best denoiser i have ever seen before. It's a command-line-tool, you have to use it as a batch-file on Windows.

https://declanrussell.com/portfolio/nvidia-ai-denoiser/

https://github.com/DeclanRussell/NvidiaAIDenoiser

Yes, I have Instancing Optimization on memory. I am trying to render 16000 by 8000. That is the size that I consider acceptably sharp for a visible HDRI dome in most cases. Does the denoise tool you recommend process 32 bit exr files?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,860
    edited March 2023

Just checked the Log file and the scene for HDRI fitted in GPU memory - no problem with that.

I have no problems with rendering HDRI from UltraScenery scenes and there are no fireflies in them.

Anyhow another render with my noisy HDRI of https://www.daz3d.com/old-street-bike

OldStreetBike01pic01bs.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 601K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,051
    edited March 2023

@Artini : You are in an interior render, with a lot of glossy surfaces. The glossy surfaces tend to produce fireflies. Try to lower the glossiness of the surfaces (increase roughness, or lower glossiness). Try also to change your light, a user recently contacted me to say that changing his lighting helped a lot with eventual Fireflies issuers. What does it give if you render the same scene with the png xEV creator? Does the render as a png also have fireflies? If not, simply create your hdr using the png xEv Creator. Otherwise, if you have photoshop, you can try to denoise the exr itself there (and save under the same name).

@Lonesome Cowboy: there might be several reasons. You can try to change your lighting (eventually drastically), and to make sure that there is not to many glossy surfaces. Can you try to activate the safe mode? But I would try the lighting first. Some lightings are simply too "not compatible" with good quality hdr renders. Then do you have this effect if you render it as a png? Activating and playing with Daz Studio denoiser does not work? Did you think about increasing the Min Samples AND the rendering convergence ratio in the Render Settings? If, after doing all that, nothing works, then the solution is to render several Exposure Values using the png xEV creator and to combine your png images as hdr as explained in the documentation (or using any other method you are used too). 

Edit: ok sorry I had to read and answer fast beacause I had to switch off my computer.. I am now pn my phone and yes what you see lonesome cowboy can come also from the size of your render as Barbult said. If you want to render above 10 000 pixels you have to manually turn the limits to off for rhe pixel size. It is explained in this thread and will ve automaticzl in verssion 1.1 (soon submitted).
    Post edited by V3Digitimes on
  • Lonesome CowboyLonesome Cowboy Posts: 153
    edited March 2023

Yes, I have Instancing Optimization on memory. I am trying to render 16000 by 8000. That is the size that I consider acceptably sharp for a visible HDRI dome in most cases. Does the denoise tool you recommend process 32 bit exr files?

moment ... i thought daz can only render 12000 x 12000 (or was it 10000 x 10000) pixel?

the denoise tool reads jpg (maybe other formats too - i didn't test) and removes the noise and writes a new jpg

Unfortunately it does not work with big white spots like in the biker-image above but it removes the scruffy noise you often have in iray-renders without bluring the image.

Post edited by Lonesome Cowboy on
  • V3Digitimes said:

@Artini : You are in an interior render, with a lot of glossy surfaces. The glossy surfaces tend to produce fireflies. Try to lower the glossiness of the surfaces (increase roughness, or lower glossiness). Try also to change your light, a user recently contacted me to say that changing his lighting helped a lot with eventual Fireflies issuers. What does it give if you render the same scene with the png xEV creator? Does the render as a png also have fireflies? If not, simply create your hdr using the png xEv Creator. Otherwise, if you have photoshop, you can try to denoise the exr itself there (and save under the same name).

@Lonesome Cowboy: there might be several reasons. You can try to change your lighting (eventually drastically), and to make sure that there is not to many glossy surfaces. Can you try to activate the safe mode? But I would try the lighting first. Some lightings are simply too "not compatible" with good quality hdr renders. Then do you have this effect if you render it as a png? Activating and playing with Daz Studio denoiser does not work? Did you think about increasing the Min Samples AND the rendering convergence ratio in the Render Settings? If, after doing all that, nothing works, then the solution is to render several Exposure Values using the png xEV creator and to combine your png images as hdr as explained in the documentation (or using any other method you are used too). 

Edit: ok sorry I had to read and answer fast beacause I had to switch off my computer.. I am now pn my phone and yes what you see lonesome cowboy can come also from the size of your render as Barbult said. If you want to render above 10 000 pixels you have to manually turn the limits to off for rhe pixel size. It is explained in this thread and will ve automaticzl in verssion 1.1 (soon submitted).

my current problem is only in the hdri-creator.

Yes you can render higher than the 10kx10k initial Daz limit. For this ho in render settings and remove the lilit to the pixel size (parameters settings when you use the gear on the right of this pixel size box). In the next version of the creator the limit will be adapted automatically to what you ask as render size if it is above 10k. In the meantime this is manual...:(

V3Digitimes said:

my current problem is only in the hdri-creator.

Did you increase the min samples, the convergence ratio, and the render redoultion (for instance 10kx5k)?
    edited March 2023

I do not have Photoshop, but in The Gimp there is also denoiser and it works just fine with exr images.

OldStreetBike01pic09vs.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 470K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Norman_RNorman_R Posts: 94
    edited March 2023

I wanted to be smart and create a bracketing in png. But not as 360 degrees HDRI but in 16:9. But I only get 3 overexposed pictures. Should that actually work or not? I have set 3 levels. What is the exposure spread for 3 images? Would it be possible to program it in such a way that you can enter your own settings?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited March 2023

Norman_R said:

I wanted to be smart and create a bracketing in png. But not as 360 degrees HDRI but in 16:9. But I only get 3 overexposed pictures. Should that actually work or not? I have set 3 levels. What is the exposure spread for 3 images? Would it be possible to program it in such a way that you can enter your own settings?

Hi, I'm sorry I don't understand exactly what you try to do. What script do you use? Png creator or exr Creator? In the png xEV creator You can test the exposure values with the dial "Exp. Value" in the second tab of the interface. The exposure spread depends on your scene but here I am in a scene when I can set 12;14;16;18 as exposure lists. I chose the values of this list by changing the exposure value of the dial "Exp. Value" located bellow the lines where you can set the size. Please note, for now the png xEV script has an issue if you check the "Render All V3D Compatible Cameras". Leave it uncheck for now, this is important, and this is solved in the update to come.

Please note that for interior renders the EVs areas are often not the same as for exterior renders, as it is the case in real life. Simply test the Evs you plan to batch render using the "Exp. Value" dial of the png xEV interface. The general range you will test is EV from 6 to 18 (this is not the same as in photography). For exterior day I often use 11;12;13;14;15 or 11;13;15 depending on the scene, but for some interiors I'm on 7;9;11;... You can "prepare" your  list values via Daz Studio by changing Exposure Values, and finding Exposure Values in Render Settings for which you are overexposed, and other for which you are underexposed, these will be your bracket.

And don't forget, for interiors, to check the "Safe Mode" if you use the exr creator.

What do you mean by "you can enter your own settings?" what are the settings that you cannot enter in the interface and that you would like to enter?

PM me if you prefer to discuss more on the subject, there are ways to auto make your 16:9 at different EVs "pretty easily" with the png script but I don't want to detail everything here not to pollute this thread.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 702

Artini said:

I do not have Photoshop, but in The Gimp there is also denoiser and it works just fine with exr images.

You should be a product tester, Artini. You take some of the releases through their paces along with some valuable feedback. Keep it up. 

That's true. Tomorrow I'll add the free Gimp trick to the documentation in addition with the other recommendations when this occurs, pack the whole thing up, and submit the update.

Thanks a lot, @AnEye4Art and @V3Digitimes

edited March 2023
    MULinkChamber01hdr01sc03pic02g.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 487K
    Post edited by Artini on

V3Digitimes said:

Norman_R said:

Hi, I'm sorry I don't understand exactly what you try to do. What script do you use? Png creator or exr Creator? In the png xEV creator You can test the exposure values with the dial "Exp. Value" in the second tab of the interface. The exposure spread depends on your scene but here I am in a scene when I can set 12;14;16;18 as exposure lists. I chose the values of this list by changing the exposure value of the dial "Exp. Value" located bellow the lines where you can set the size. Please note, for now the png xEV script has an issue if you check the "Render All V3D Compatible Cameras". Leave it uncheck for now, this is important, and this is solved in the update to come.

Please note that for interior renders the EVs areas are often not the same as for exterior renders, as it is the case in real life. Simply test the Evs you plan to batch render using the "Exp. Value" dial of the png xEV interface. The general range you will test is EV from 6 to 18 (this is not the same as in photography). For exterior day I often use 11;12;13;14;15 or 11;13;15 depending on the scene, but for some interiors I'm on 7;9;11;... You can "prepare" your  list values via Daz Studio by changing Exposure Values, and finding Exposure Values in Render Settings for which you are overexposed, and other for which you are underexposed, these will be your bracket.

And don't forget, for interiors, to check the "Safe Mode" if you use the exr creator.

What do you mean by "you can enter your own settings?" what are the settings that you cannot enter in the interface and that you would like to enter?

PM me if you prefer to discuss more on the subject, there are ways to auto make your 16:9 at different EVs "pretty easily" with the png script but I don't want to detail everything here not to pollute this thread.

I converted your 360 degree camera to a normal 16:9 camera. Yes, actually I wrote that I rendered in png. I have rendered in Exp. Value also tried different settings. From 13 to 14 (much too dark). But it came out only 3x much too bright images. Where all 3 were the same. With Exp. Value you don't set the exposure spread between the images but only the 0 image of the exposure series.(?) But there was no image 0 (normal exposure) in the exposure. Therefore my question whether your script could render at all in 16:9 and whether one can adjust the exposure levels of the images. How does your script calculate when rendering 3 images that it gets an overexposed, a normal exposed and an underexposed image? I will test further this afternoon. Germany now 6:34 :) 

Norman_R said:

I converted your 360 degree camera to a normal 16:9 camera. Yes, actually I wrote that I rendered in png. I have rendered in Exp. Value also tried different settings. From 13 to 14 (much too dark). But it came out only 3x much too bright images. Where all 3 were the same. With Exp. Value you don't set the exposure spread between the images but only the 0 image of the exposure series.(?) But there was no image 0 (normal exposure) in the exposure. Therefore my question whether your script could render at all in 16:9 and whether one can adjust the exposure levels of the images. How does your script calculate when rendering 3 images that it gets an overexposed, a normal exposed and an underexposed image? I will test further this afternoon. Germany now 6:34 :) 

It sounds like you aren't familiar with the included PDF documentation. At the top of page 12 of the current documentation version, it explains how you enter the Exposure Values for your series of PNG images in the Exposure Values List. It is a semicolon separated list of Daz Studio EV numbers that you want to render.

barbult said:

Norman_R said:

It sounds like you aren't familiar with the included PDF documentation. At the top of page 12 of the current documentation version, it explains how you enter the Exposure Values for your series of PNG images in the Exposure Values List. It is a semicolon separated list of Daz Studio EV numbers that you want to render.

Yes I know. But that's just a random sequence of numbers that label the pictures. Or should the numbers indicate the height of my desired exposure? That would be fantastic. But I don't think it says so in the manual. Thanks for that. A few things become clear to me. My order was 1;2;3 :D 

edited March 2023

OK. It didn't explain that to me. Thanks for the hint. Thank you for making it so easy. I will test it. I think that answered my question. I've always wondered why 11;12;13;14 is always given as an example and didn't see any connection to the EV. 

Manual:

ii. The second tab is the same too, EXCEPT that you now have to enter a list of 
    exposure values in the line dedicated to this purpose, near the middle of this 
    tab.
    The next image gives you an example of how you must enter the different 
    exposure values you want to be rendered : they must be numbers, not 
    necessarily integer, and they must be separated by a “;” (there’s no issue if 
    you have a space between the numbers themselves or the numbers and their 
    “;” separator and you can end with a “;” but this is not necessary). These values 
    will be remembered for the other sessions too if you use the button to “Save 
    all Current Settings” at the bottom of this second tab or of the third tab.

Post edited by Norman_R on

I made a similar mistake once. I used values -2;-1;0;1;2 or something like that. Suffice it to say, that didn't work! The images were all almost pure white. Then I saw the response that V3Digitimes wrote to you and it "clicked" about what I was doing wrong. I should have used values above and below 13, which is the default EV in Daz Studio Render Settings Tone Mapping pane. When I made that change, things started working as expected.

edited March 2023

Yes, now I understand that too. I thought the tool simply takes a lightest and darkest value and divides it by the desired number of images. It's much better the way it is, of course, because you can influence it.

I have a scene that could do well with HDR.

Post edited by Norman_R on
    edited March 2023

Sorry I was not clear enought in the documentation where I assumed that everybody would guess they must choose the Daz Studio exposure value range from overeposed to underexposed. Here is what I added to this "png sEV" section of the documentation, and I hope it would make the choice of the values more clear (and please remember that in version 1.0 that you must NOT check "Render All V3D compatible Cameras) :

"The values you enter would be the ones you would use in Daz Studio Render Settings Tab, such as the ones in the following list, and can be tested from the interface (if your viewport is using NVIDAIray) by changing the Exp. Value dial in this same second tab,  your goal being to go from overexposed to underexposed. If you don’t know what exposure value to use, you can also determine them before you  launch the script, by testing diferent exposure values (using the Render Settings Editor Tab/Tone Mapping).

Change those exposure values and find one for which you are clearly underexposed, one for which the exposure is fine, and one for which you are clearly overexposed. You don’t need to render, you just have a look to what is in your viewport. Then use these values and eventually additional values in the same range. Take care, a common mistake is to use -1, 0, +1 as you would do in photography. No, here you must enter the values as you would do in “Exposure Values” of Daz Studio, values which are generally comprised between 6 and 18 depending on your scene, and a rather close to one another. For instance it can be 6;8;10 or it can be 12;13;14; this depends on your type of scene."

I hope it will make the process more clear.

• And without complicationg things, Film ISO is another which can be adjusted.

Yes but it's not automated by the script, since I wanted to keep things SIMPLE for everybody I stayed on exposure value. ISO for most people is less clear than exposure. Plus if you use exposure, it's easier to link it to photoshop inputs.

V3Digitimes said:

Sorry I was not clear enought in the documentation where I assumed that everybody would guess they must choose the Daz Studio exposure value range from overeposed to underexposed. Here is what I added to this "png sEV" section of the documentation, and I hope it would make the choice of the values more clear (and please remember that in version 1.0 that you must NOT check "Render All V3D compatible Cameras) :

"The values you enter would be the ones you would use in Daz Studio Render Settings Tab, such as the ones in the following list, and can be tested from the interface (if your viewport is using NVIDAIray) by changing the Exp. Value dial in this same second tab,  your goal being to go from overexposed to underexposed. If you don’t know what exposure value to use, you can also determine them before you  launch the script, by testing diferent exposure values (using the Render Settings Editor Tab/Tone Mapping).

Change those exposure values and find one for which you are clearly underexposed, one for which the exposure is fine, and one for which you are clearly overexposed. You don’t need to render, you just have a look to what is in your viewport. Then use these values and eventually additional values in the same range. Take care, a common mistake is to use -1, 0, +1 as you would do in photography. No, here you must enter the values as you would do in “Exposure Values” of Daz Studio, values which are generally comprised between 6 and 18 depending on your scene, and a rather close to one another. For instance it can be 6;8;10 or it can be 12;13;14; this depends on your type of scene."

I hope it will make the process more clear.

Thank you very much. So it's idiots safe. yeslaugh 

edited March 2023

Lol, you're welcome... It's just not easy to document a technical product, since you make hypothesis on the Daz Studio knowledge of the users or even on the understanding of how the tool behaves. I try to make it accessible to everyone, but sometimes I forget that things that seem obvious are actually not obvious at all, and that's why this forum thread is so important. ;)

If I had found the connection between 11;13;14;15 then there would have been no problem at all. I always use the exposure time in the DAZ, as when taking photos, which then changes the EV itself. Therefore, I have never paid attention to this number.

That explains everything! I find exposure value more intuitive for people who, like me, are not good at photo, and I am under the impression that a lot of beginner users play with this setting more than on exposure time or ISO which are more technical. Lots of people heard of overexposed photos, and not a lot of "under ISOed, or over Shutter Speeded" photos... I guess with the new documentation, even people who used ISO or other dials to ajust the exposure will understand how to determine the values to enter...

edited March 2023

OK I created the udpate documentation and the update packages. I could not go further today for personal reasons, but I'll retest everything tomorrow morning for a submission in the afternoon. I may not be available in the next hours for forum questions, but I'll be back tomorrow morning (Paris Time).

edited March 2023

I rendered a series of PNG files of Urban Future 5 with the tool and assembled them into an exr with Photoshop. I had to deviate from the instructions in the PDF manual a little, maybe because I am using Photoshop CS6, which is very old now. The change I had to make was to CHECK the option to automatically align the images. If I didn't, Photoshop would not show the individual exposure images and would crash with an error 54. 

Here are two images I made with my new Urban Future 5 HDR. They are night scenes. I didn't add any lights. All the lighting comes from the HDR.

Thimor in a dress roller skating with rats and rubbish

G9 running from dogs (the dogs are billboards)

Thimor Roller Skating no added lights_001a.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    G9 running from dogs Urban Future 5 HDR from PNG_001.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on