Carrara Challenge #20: A Room With A View - WIP Thread

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited October 2015

My take on this theme.

Kind of a "still life" representation.

Everything modeled in Carrara and Hexagon.

Post edited by de3an on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2015

I think my first one was a little boring so I'm brainstorming for something else.  I got this idea from @MistyMist's experiments with the various Carrara presets.laugh

The idea is a room with windows to various settings around the world.  The attached render is just a quick test - if I continue with this one I'll redo the terrain renders with a little more care to camera angles that make more sense so they don't look so much like just pictures hanging there.  I'll also try to match up the light coming in the windows - right now there are just soft blue spotlights coming in each window.  The room was modeled in the vertex modeler; the chaise is just something from my library which may or may not end up with someone sitting on it.

Additional lighting is a low power, light blue, distant light from above with some crossed cube primitives to create some shadows and a spotlight aimed at the chaise with a multicolored gel I made in filterforge using a space/galaxy filter.  Shaders are all just various Carrara content marble shaders for now - these will get replaced for the final too.

test render room of views

TestRender01.jpg
    1000 x 570 - 75K
    TestRender01_setup.jpg
    1868 x 942 - 141K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    de3an said:

My take on this theme.

Nice!  I love the shadows on the floor.  Speaking of the floor - did you model individual boards, is it just a map on a plane? I can't tell from your screenshots but the spaces between the boards look really good in the render - when I do wood floors like that they always come out looking really flat. 

• YofielYofiel Posts: 204

It's my first render in two years. 1400 pixel width for complete  view. Hope you enjoy it )

5a72.jpg
    1400 x 749 - 481K
    MDO2010 said:
    de3an said:

My take on this theme.

Nice!  I love the shadows on the floor.  Speaking of the floor - did you model individual boards, is it just a map on a plane? I can't tell from your screenshots but the spaces between the boards look really good in the render - when I do wood floors like that they always come out looking really flat. 

It's an image map with a bump map.

Whenever I try to model individual planks, each plank needs a different grain pattern to avoid obvious repetition. Too much of a pain.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

@De3an, nice architraves & wainscoting :) Those are the kind of details I always find suck the time out of a project.

@De3an, nice architraves & wainscoting :) Those are the kind of details I always find suck the time out of a project.

Thanks.

It's true. The Devil's in the details, as they say. 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Another trip down into my content library.  I have an Eastern outfit for the Poser 7 male, which I partnered with a Howie Farkes scene.  http://www.daz3d.com/world-gardens-byodo-in

Still just doodling to encourage people to dig out some of that stuff that has been lying unused on your hard disk.

WIP japanese world gardens 2a.jpg
    650 x 500 - 88K
    edited October 2015

More doodling but I think this one will actually be the basis for an entry. 

Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair,

So D5 may climb without a stair

The wall was made from simple vertex cubes with procedural shaders (with fractal noise set to"global" to avoid uniformity) duplicated, morphed, etc.

The clutter on is made up of placeholders from Carrara's native content.  I especially like the hair dryer, but I suppose I won't keep it for the final image.  I will need to add a mirror for the cosmetic table, and will give thought to what it should refeflect.

Raunzel is the G2F with Ringo's Stephanie Carrara shader, and mostly the Callie 6 character morphs.  Her clothes are an altered form of the pirate outfit for Callie and some morphing fantasy dress expansions.  I made the hair using a custom hair cap and growing really long hair (7 feet), then used dynamic draping to get it through the window. 

The climber is a genesis figure with Ringo's David 5 shader, and mostly the David 5 character morphs.  I think I want more of a toon look for the guy so will likely make some changes.  The guy's hair is the Orion hair fo genesis.  The guy's outfit is the "charming" outfit for David 3 which I used Studio to "fit to" genesis, and then saved as a wearable preset long ago.  It was loaded natively in Carrara from the wearable preset folder for this project.

zzz wip for rapunzel 1.JPG
    1693 x 995 - 217K
    zzz wip for rapunzel 2.JPG
    1629 x 978 - 145K
    zzz wip for rapunzel 3.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 112K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited October 2015

Booooo, Carrara.  Boooooooooooooooooooooo.

I saved my scene, and when I reopened it, the draped hair could not be found, and was replaced with a cube!

Replaced with a freakin' cube!

Booooooooooooo.

YYY cube replaced object.JPG
    997 x 730 - 122K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    diomede said:

Booooo, Carrara.  Boooooooooooooooooooooo.

I saved my scene, and when I reopened it, the draped hair could not be found, and was replaced with a cube!

Replaced with a freakin' cube!

Booooooooooooo.

That is a weird one! Can you close the scene and quit Carrara without saving and then reboot your computer and then re-open the scene to see if it is glitch? Hopefully it is not a corruption in the file!

Is the hair built on a haircap? Can you rebuild the style and then save it to the objects browser, and then load it? You could also do that if the hair is grown on the model, but the thumbnail in the browser will look blank if you just save the hair object.

edited October 2015

I have more than one saved version of the scene.  Rapunzel1.car, Rapuzel2.car, etc.  The hair is gone in all of them.  Yes, it was made from a hair cap and I am confident that I can reconstruct the hair style, but it is a pain in the patushka to have to redrape a hair style that is 7 feet long that has enough verts-per-hair to get a decent result.  I need the length even when out of sight to make sure that the hair does not flow back through the wrong side of the window.  Booooo.

yyy error message.JPG
    445 x 164 - 17K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    I would suggest re-creating and re-draping the hair, then drag it to the browser and see if you can load it into another scene without issues. If you can, then perhaps if you get the cube again, you can delete it and load the hair from the browser.
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    I would suggest re-creating and re-draping the hair, then drag it to the browser and see if you can load it into another scene without issues. If you can, then perhaps if you get the cube again, you can delete it and load the hair from the browser.

+1   I haven't been unfortunate to run into this particular error, sounds like a big pain in the rear, but I completely agree with Evil, save out to your object tray for future use, maybe open a whole new scene without closing the one you're working on and load it to make sure it loads up right, that way you can protect yourself from future weirdness. 

edited October 2015

Ignoring my little setback, here is where I was going with the idea.  I took the render and loaded it as the backdrop.  I then used the non-photorealistic renderer to give it a painterly look.  I got the idea from a Cripeman tutorial, but I used different settings and a different brush.  The key is to use very small brush sizes.

rapunzel 1a.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 205K
    edited October 2015

And then I mix the non-photorealistic render with the photorealistic render to get a little more definition.  Here is the result when the two renders are mixed at 50%.  In general, I have not had much luck with dynamic hair in toon or NPR renders.  This is my current attempt to address that.  I use Cripeman's idea of putting a rendered "photoreal" output in the backdrop, then rendering it as an NPR,  Then I mix the NPR and a render with photoreal hair.

rapunzel mix npr at 50 percent.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 77K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989
    diomede said:

I have more than one saved version of the scene.  Rapunzel1.car, Rapuzel2.car, etc.  The hair is gone in all of them.  Yes, it was made from a hair cap and I am confident that I can reconstruct the hair style, but it is a pain in the patushka to have to redrape a hair style that is 7 feet long that has enough verts-per-hair to get a decent result.  I need the length even when out of sight to make sure that the hair does not flow back through the wrong side of the window.  Booooo.

I get that error quite often.. a real PITA no

• pimpypimpy Posts: 274

Here my idea for the contest... a window on a spaceship...

(modeled in Wings3D and Carrara 8Pro)

explosion-carrara.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    explpsion1.jpg
    1500 x 928 - 807K
    de3an said:

My take on this theme.

de3an, that is beautiful and pristine.  I was tempted to ask whether it was Octane or Luxus, before seeing your lighting setup.  You have a capable and deft touch, and there's a real 'neatness' to the scene that is very fresh and appealing.  Also it's a pleasure to see someone so skillfully using the native Carrara render engine.

pimpy said:

Sci-fi fan that I am, I have to say that I absolutely love this scene, just wonderful, one of my favorites of all the contest entries over all the contests, excellent concept and execution!

• pimpy said:

Neat idea, as long as you don't want to sleep with an open window wink

Nice render

Jonstark said:
    de3an said:

My take on this theme.

de3an, that is beautiful and pristine.  I was tempted to ask whether it was Octane or Luxus, before seeing your lighting setup.  You have a capable and deft touch, and there's a real 'neatness' to the scene that is very fresh and appealing.  Also it's a pleasure to see someone so skillfully using the native Carrara render engine.

Wow... Thanks for the kind words. However I think I'm more plodding than deft. Especially where lighting is concerned. I tend to try lots of different configurations before settling on one.

However, I do like the Carrara render engine, and believe that it can still hold its own against the unbiased renderers.

edited October 2015

Still working in my second, hopefully more interesting, entry.  I fixed the textures on my room and then save the whole thing to my content library.  I'm re-loading it in various scene presets and rendering each of those with all but one window blacked out, then layering them in screen mode in Photoshop.  I've got three done so far: two of the windows (both using sets from HowieFarkes) plus one with just the interior lights.  I'm getting some light leak on the blacked out windows but I just brush it out in the layer mask for each layer.  I think when I decide on my last two window scenes I will just set them up and batch render them overnight instead of going one at a time like I have been.

Once I have all my image layers, I'll adjust the lighting individually on them and then overall.  I ended up not modeling my own furniture, but I redid the textures, changing the leather image texture to a procedural velvet I created from scratch, so just the room itself is made by me (walls, pillars, steps, windows, floor).

Image Below: The three renders I've done so far composited.

Two Down Two to Go - Room with Views

Attached Images: all three of my renders so far, the composited WIP and my velvet texture.

WIP03_InteriorLightsOnly.JPG
    1860 x 944 - 125K
    WIP03_Window2Only.JPG
    1874 x 952 - 158K
    WIP03_Window3Only.JPG
    1866 x 960 - 108K
    WIP03_RoomWithViews_Composite.jpg
    2000 x 1141 - 210K
    WIP03_VelvetTexture.JPG
    1555 x 880 - 159K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

cool work !

Jonstark said:
    pimpy said:

Sci-fi fan that I am, I have to say that I absolutely love this scene, just wonderful, one of my favorites of all the contest entries over all the contests, excellent concept and execution!

Thank you so much Jon.

Philemo said:
    pimpy said:

Neat idea, as long as you don't want to sleep with an open window wink

Nice render

...yes  its a good idea!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,989

awesome works by everyone... very interesting concepts..

@pimpy ... great render but that girl is irking me... could it be because she is set a couple of clicks too far down which makes her foot going into the floor?... looking at your WiP is does look so.. if not then no probs .. it just don't look right to me yes

Stezza said:

awesome works by everyone... very interesting concepts..

@pimpy ... great render but that girl is irking me... could it be because she is set a couple of clicks too far down which makes her foot going into the floor?... looking at your WiP is does look so.. if not then no probs .. it just don't look right to me yes

I'm still working to the scene but ... oops ... I forgot the shoes! Thank you Stezza yes

Clipboard01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Clipboard02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M

Decided that the table needed a doily. smiley

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Never entered a challenge before so here goes. I am working on an interior view of the board room of the British Admiralty , circa 1750. I wanted to create the whole in Carrara but I was unable to discover how to make cut outs in a spline plane. So for the panel doors I had to resort to the spline tool in  Infini D and import them as  .dxf  file.  Now I find that Diomede gives the link to a thread that explains how to do this and other methods in Carrara.  Groan......... A major rebuild is coming as I would like to keep it all in Carrara... I had made a search using the Forum Carrara search engine but could find no reference to spline cut outs..It could be a key word problem.

Anyway this is what I have so far... The furniture is yet to be made and then of course the figures have to be in 18th century clothes.  One of the problems will be with indirect lighting. It slows down the fast render so much I have turned it off for now. There is a lot to learn in rendering and lighting which will be my next step. Right now I am just keeping it simple.

Starboardtack

I plan to use the results for animation.

Admer Render 2.jpg
    1000 x 719 - 164K