Carrara Challenge #20: A Room With A View - WIP Thread

Comments

• j_yoesj_yoes Posts: 7

Carrara Challenge #20: A Room With A View

"A Room With The View" refers to anything architectual from inside (window/s is/are preffered but not required): kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, industrial space, theather, shopping mall, barn, airport terminal, photo studio, classroom, bank, restaurant etc.

It can be contemporary, cluttered, minimal, industrial, rustic, baroque, steam-punk and with or without characters (human/animal).

Basic Rules

1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.
    2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).
    3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.
    4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).
    5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders).
    6. At least one object in the scene has to be modeled in Carrara.

Sponsors

Once again, Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following:

1st = $100 in Daz Original items

2nd = $50 in Daz Original items

3rd = $25 in Daz Original items

Honorable Mention = $10 in Daz Original items

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Wednesday Sept 16, 2015
    Entry Thread Opens: Friday Oct 16, 2015
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Friday Oct 23, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Friday Oct 30, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

An announcement will bee made shortly in forum for The Commons.  Ya all feel free to provide any updates or share there as well smiley

tes.....................

interested in following the challenge "Carrara Challenge # 20: A Room With A View"

Some WIP view to pre-plan room....

Guest room-wip.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 578K
    Guest room-wip1.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 614K
    Guest room-wip2.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 694K
    Guest room-wip5.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 798K
    Guest room-wip7.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 521K
    Guest room-wip9.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 802K
    Guest room-wip6.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 1M
    Guest room-wip8.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 807K
    Guest room-wip12.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 992K

next

Guest room-wip3.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 623K
    Guest room-wip13.jpg
    1965 x 1050 - 577K
    edited October 2015

Final....

Grestroom.jpg
    1500 x 1050 - 2M
    Post edited by j_yoes on
  • pimpypimpy Posts: 274
    j_yoes said:

Final....

Wow! That's incredible! Very good work. I like it yes

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Any chance of some notes on how you made those things - especially the curtains and soft furnishings?

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

J_yoes,

As close to reality as I have seen.  Excellent work.  Was all the modeling done in Carrrara ? Wondering how you did the guilt carvings of the couch legs.. It really is a showcase of lighting and texture.  Extaordinary..thanks

Starboardtack

Lttle upgrade...

spaceship1.jpg
    1422 x 1539 - 1M
    spaceship2.jpg
    1422 x 1539 - 1M
    scene setting.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 351K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050

All the work is splendid so far!

Pimpy, that space scene is really coming along nicely!

j_yoes, not only is the room design impressive, the textures and lighting are top notch. Great job! I second everyone else, I would love to see your technique for modeling the drapes and other fabrics.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,125

Great work, Pimpy and J_yoes.

@ Evilproducer and Diomede

Thank you very much!

This is my new scene render ...but I'm still working on the light... suggest are welcome wink

Doc29.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 883K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    pimpy said:

@ Evilproducer and Diomede

Thank you very much!

This is my new scene render ...but I'm still working on the light... suggest are welcome wink

I think you need light on the characters, mainly from the window. It's very bright out there with explosions & whatnot, but nothing seems to get into the scene.

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    pimpy said:

Neat!

Suggestion: I think that the explosions that your characters are observing should be casting light onto them and into the room.

edited October 2015

I have replaced the dynamic strand hair with hair that I have modeled by combining a rope model that I had made with a hair cap that I had made, and then morphing them.  Still experimenting with the non-photoreal renderer (NPR) settings.  This version caught my eye.  I set the diffuse, highlight, and shadow colors to black or near black, the outline to gray, and the background to just a little blue.  I did touch up the hair a little in photoshop.  Pretty sure I will be calling ths entry NPR (Non-photo Rapunzel).

WIP a npr rapunzel assemble room.JPG
    813 x 961 - 121K
    NPR Rapunzel 1a WIP.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 131K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • aspinaspin Posts: 219

Looking at your NP-Rapunzel and only seeing the upper half because of my widescreen monitor, I thought in the first moment the telescope was a microphone pointing to Rapunzel.

So how about a Rapunzel musical?

The learning curve continues. Have become  more comfortable working with Carrara spline modeler..Have replaced all the Infini D splines and have cleaned up the model and geometry.. I have added some figures mainly for scaling and to plan the vide clips.  The scene is now 100% Carrara. 

Some of the concerns I have ..Not sure how many more figures I can add before Carrara does something unpleasant.   I would like to have three more figures in the scene. Then of course there will be all the keyframes - what will that do ....Choke, choke... crunch ?

I am still learning some of the lighting basics.. I have played around with negative lighting but nothing I can use. It is a matter of Phil's tutorials and the manual in one hand and modeling with the other. 

One thing I have learned that might help other newbies...I have created each wall separately with all its accoutrements in a Group.. Thus when I work on the figures I can raise each wall, or all of them so that I can zoom in and out with the Director's Camera so as to pose the figures.

Although Carrara has  quite a large amount of basic wood textures in the browser, most I find have too much contrast and the grains too pronounced - almost a cartoon of wood grain ..I have played aound with some of the variables in the Shader Room..but there is much to learn. Some very sophisticated wood grain is there, it is a matter of tweaking and manipulating...More learning.

It is fun to see how others are progressing..and resolving problems.

Starboardtack

Rm+figures.png
    847 x 508 - 618K
    Wire frame.png
    878 x 655 - 259K

@ Tango Alpha and de3an: thanks for your suggestions.

This is the new setting of the scene and the preliminary render test. I also added lights (spot) to illuminate the characters using option "point at"

setting_new_light.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 337K
    test_new_light.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 949K

Evil Producer,

what a clever device for creating a subtle indirect lighting - I don't know how I missed it during the first read of the posts.. Rows and tiers of spot lights in an arc... All grouped so that they are controllable.   After much grief and experimenting I ended up with three vertical tube lights, your method is far superior - I wish I had found it earlier.... Thanks also for the demo on render passes.  Great stuff.  

Starboardtack

edited October 2015

Excellent scene, Starboardtack!  For the purposes of the challenge, you don't need to have everything done in Carrara, but I'm glad you did if you believe it helped learn some new tools.  I think the spline modeler is vastly under used.  I've had 10 or more figures in a Carrara scene so I think you are OK as far as the challenge.  Others will have to help with the limts of animations.

I doodled some more while watching the football/baseball games.  Once again I dug around the depths of my Daz runtime to find a set I hadn't used in a long time.  I also converted Fisty's felinicity outfit for V4 so it could be used with G2F.  The G2F looks like V4 because I've used the V4 shape morph.  The V4 skin texture is based on the texture maps that come with Silver's Alani character for G2F, but I've adjusted all the settings so they can work in Carrara.

Not going to be my entry, but I am just reminding people that you can use content from your runtime as long as you make one item.

WIP Fisty clothing.jpg
    480 x 640 - 34K
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited October 2015
    msteaka said:

The learning curve continues. Have become  more comfortable working with Carrara spline modeler..Have replaced all the Infini D splines and have cleaned up the model and geometry.. I have added some figures mainly for scaling and to plan the vide clips.  The scene is now 100% Carrara. 

Some of the concerns I have ..Not sure how many more figures I can add before Carrara does something unpleasant.   I would like to have three more figures in the scene. Then of course there will be all the keyframes - what will that do ....Choke, choke... crunch ?

I am still learning some of the lighting basics.. I have played around with negative lighting but nothing I can use. It is a matter of Phil's tutorials and the manual in one hand and modeling with the other. 

One thing I have learned that might help other newbies...I have created each wall separately with all its accoutrements in a Group.. Thus when I work on the figures I can raise each wall, or all of them so that I can zoom in and out with the Director's Camera so as to pose the figures.

Although Carrara has  quite a large amount of basic wood textures in the browser, most I find have too much contrast and the grains too pronounced - almost a cartoon of wood grain ..I have played aound with some of the variables in the Shader Room..but there is much to learn. Some very sophisticated wood grain is there, it is a matter of tweaking and manipulating...More learning.

It is fun to see how others are progressing..and resolving problems.

Starboardtack

Looking good!

Should be able to add several more figures without any problems, well I guess depending on your computers limitations.  You'll know when you start to overload the scene simply because the controls for moving the camera around the room will start to get sluggish.  I've had many more fully dressed figures in a single scene without any problems.

Even if you do start to get some sluggishness, you can still render the scene, and also remember you haven't even touched on the powers of replication yet, for example for a background figure you could simply replicate him a few times standing at different spots behind the table, and that costs virtually no memory space at all.

Post edited by Jonstark on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    pimpy said:

This is the new setting of the scene and the preliminary render test. I also added lights (spot) to illuminate the characters using option "point at"

This remains one of my favorite scenes ever, and looks even better with light spill into the room from the explosion.  Not sure why the closest guy is casting such a sharp shadow in the direction of the window though; I'm assuming so that we can see the details of his back you've got a light facing from the camera into the room?

Jonstark said:
    pimpy said:

This remains one of my favorite scenes ever, and looks even better with light spill into the room from the explosion.  Not sure why the closest guy is casting such a sharp shadow in the direction of the window though; I'm assuming so that we can see the details of his back you've got a light facing from the camera into the room?

Hi Jonstark,

Yes, it's correct. There is light behind the soldier, but the shadow was too strong. I modified it from 100% to 30% ...

test-L.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 344K
    test.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 181K
    edited October 2015

Instead of doodling, I actually worked on one of my entries.  yes    The Non-Photoreal Renderer (NPR) does not handle transparencies well.  After some frustration around the eyes, I finally decided to just go into the mesh, turn off topology protection, select the eyelashes and corneas, and move them back in the head.  Here are some raw renders and a test result.  Some of the NPR approaches so far

- So far, I like setting the min and max brush settings as small as possible, and I like reducing the random stroke settings.  If you have fingers or any similar digits, then remember to check the box for object clipping.  The decision to use, or not to use, the outline mode is crucial.  Each has its place so just make sure you are getting the result you want.  When using both the diffuse and highlight settings, I prefer to use a brush for the highlight that has less dark strokes.

- I really like how the eyes of the guy climbing through the window turned out.

- EDIT:  In the 4 quadrant attach, the two lone figure renders are both NPR renders.  The upper left is also NPR.  Although the upper right is photoreal, I turned it into an NPR by inserting it as a backdrop then doing another render as NPR with only it as the background.

- EDIT AGAIN - I did a little compositing mix within Carrara to get some texture for the canvas.  I inserted a plane of the same dimensions as the renders.  I then used the bump channel and chose noise factory, and chose the linoleum pattern.  The current large image should now have some texture for my "canvas."

Composite 4 elements.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 171K
    Composite try 1.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 278K
    Composite try 2 run through NPR as background.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 227K
    Composite 5 mix within Carrara with linoleum noise factory in bump.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 182K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,050
    edited October 2015
    msteaka said:

Evil Producer,

what a clever device for creating a subtle indirect lighting - I don't know how I missed it during the first read of the posts.. Rows and tiers of spot lights in an arc... All grouped so that they are controllable.   After much grief and experimenting I ended up with three vertical tube lights, your method is far superior - I wish I had found it earlier.... Thanks also for the demo on render passes.  Great stuff.  

Starboardtack

Thanks!

Also low intensity and with a high half angle and falloff. If I had more lights I could have minimized the shadow artifacts.

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited October 2015

I'm still kind of messing around trying to decide on something I actually like.  This one is a POV shot from the bottom of a prison oubliette.  The walls are just a vertex cylinder with some vertices moved around to rought it up a little and the top removed (and for once I remembered to use the pinning tools and to unwrap before I started moving vertices around, so I got an absolutely perfect UV map), the outside ceiling is just a plane, the thing I modeled is just the simple grate at the top of the pit.  The textures are too low res to render at a final size right now, and the lighting color and intensity are not final, so this is just a test.

The pit itself is 30' deep, but I'm not sure which POV I like better, with the M6 standing as if the floor were at 20' or the one with him standing all the way down with his feet at -30'.  Anybody have an opinion one way or the other?

Oubliette with floor at -20'

Oubliette with floor at -30'

Oubliette_Test01.jpg
    640 x 480 - 31K
    Oubliette_Test01_30ft.jpg
    640 x 480 - 41K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

Thanks Jonstark,

For the input and info on the number of figures. I seem to be pulled in too  many directions while learning Carrara. I was following along pretty good on your tutorials when I got sidetracked.   It is little like one man building a brick house.  I work on the south wall ( texture room), then I get working on the east wall, modeling, next I am putting bricks on north wall working with figures and morphs, then west wall, hair etc... The house is going up but I am constantly going from wall to wall.  Then there is the retention or lack of it. I am in a perpetual state of review and re-learn.. As if somebody was taking away some of the bricks from my walls while I am sleeping.  (If I ever catch the sneaky sob I'll morph him)

Anyway, great to hear from you, 

Starboardtack

• Good job so far people smiley

Just a quick reminder  for all the participants, screenshots and WIP renders can be posted here till friday (all day friday).

Late friday nite I'll open another thread for submitting your final renders wink

I apologize for not chiming in lately, just finished all the moving, fixin' things in the new place, getting job and building new PC and 1000 other things, now it's all done and I can finally relax. Cheers.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    Well since i have not had time to work on anything i guess I am out for this one. Great work by everyone who has entered images so far in this thread.

Hi FifthElement.

I think we need a clarification of your recent comment. If someone has not yet provided their first WIP, can they do so up until October 23rd?

Here were the announced dates.

Dates to Remember:

Entry Thread Opens: Friday Oct 16, 2015
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Friday Oct 23, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Friday Oct 30, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

If Chickenman (or anyone else) got started on a new project on Sunday the 18th and finished by Thursday the 22nd, could he still provide a WIP in this thread and enter the final version in the enry thread?

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited October 2015
    diomede said:

Hi FifthElement.

I think we need a clarification of your recent comment. If someone has not yet provided their first WIP, can they do so up until October 23rd?

Here were the announced dates.

Dates to Remember:

Entry Thread Opens: Friday Oct 16, 2015
    Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Friday Oct 23, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Friday Oct 30, 2015 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

If Chickenman (or anyone else) got started on a new project on Sunday the 18th and finished by Thursday the 22nd, could he still provide a WIP in this thread and enter the final version in the enry thread?

Sure, no problem, if it's unfinished or just started, no problem at all, I do not see why not smiley

Post edited by FifthElement on