My 2023 Daz Studio Animation Demos

DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
edited May 2023 in Art Studio

I've developed a way to greatly enhance the art of animating in Daz Studio just by using tools that Daz Studio Rocks at, so I thought I'd start a playlist for what I do this year since this is only the beginning.

What started as a need to learn Studio just because Linday produced hair that's perfect for our Hero turned into an absolute love for dForce, Iray and Daz Studio's really cool buildable interface.

I've already been pleased with using aniMate 2 and the Content Creation Tools [Edit: And Hexagon!]. That's what I used Studio for for ten years while I did everything else in Carrara 8.5 Pro, which is a Killer animation studio! Loves me my Carrara!!! Yes, I'm begging!!!

Oh... but Studio!

Daz Studio freaking ROCKS!!! 

Software made for developing software. It's like when BioWare put out Neverwinter Nights with a fully blown toolset for creating your own games and hosting them online. Daz Studio comes with all of the tools to make, tweak, and pefect your mesh objects into a finished-product figure, as well as further develop it and make upgrades, add-ons and new versions of. It wasn't until Daz 3d released version 4.0 Pro... what???... it's... FREE???!!! Bought it right away! OMG!!! It comes with all of the CCTs built-in without extra freaking cost???!!! First thing I went for. 

Amazing how nicely the various automated tools work without any further adjustments. Amazing! And there are a Lot of them! 

So, just because we can't open Studio and pretend to work with animations like we do in traditional animation software Does Not Mean that we cannot animate in Daz Studio!

Like I said before, this is only the beginning - and even that, this is just bits and pieces of incomplete scenes, animations and test renders. There's so much that I'm not even showing yet!

My 2023 Daz Studio Animation Demos

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225

These first two for the year are silent demonstrations that were tossed together to answer the question: "Can I Animate using Daz Studio?" with a "Yes", and also that dForce does work and is fun.

Cyberpunk was a bit more substantial. This was an excercise in learning to composite in DaVinci Resolve, where I'm mostly practicing with Fusion.

For this one I actually made a pretty hard effort to get a lot done in a short time - time having been my biggest enemy to date, so it was a real challenge. Daz 3d PAs helped Big Time by making stuff that I could load n' render without much fuss. Thank You So Much!

edited May 2023

The Magical Metal Bikini is a different story altogether, and was mainly just tossed together to show some animation/simulation examples. In huge contrast, none of the orcs have the animation helping tools that I've made for Genesis 3, which really shows. My tools basically work a lot like using a graph editor, but completely non-destructive to the original animation data, so it's not only a bazillion times easier, faster and more convenient than the graph editor, it also has the ability to be a lot smoother, since no key frames are being deleted from that motion data.

Anyways, most of these scenes weren't actually made to work together, but it's still a lot fo fun!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

Digital Art Live!!!

I'm not new to DLA courses. Bought a few here. But I am new to the Studio - their forum!

I have the pleasure of being in the PD Howler Deep Dive right now. This is the last week. These two are some fun homework I did inspired by the new stuff I've learned. 

Special Thanks to Mindsong for really helping me get going in All of this! His knowledge of VWD, and patience to help me learn it... just... Thanks Bud! Love ya!!!heart

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,777

Nice work! Any music in there which was played by your band? cheeky  I hope one day I could also make some impressive animations... I still have to learn a lot...

crosswind said:

Nice work! Any music in there which was played by your band? cheeky  I hope one day I could also make some impressive animations... I still have to learn a lot...

Not yet. That's me an Magix Music Maker except for the new PD Howler homework 2, which uses Corel Video Studio Pro's Auto-Music feature, which I almost never use - but it's fun and it starts and ends according to your timeline with variations added in between. Kinda cool, actually :)

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,343

Good animations. Well done. All the moving parts add to the animated technique.

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Great animations, thanks for sharing! I especially liked the animation on Rosie's hair.

Hopefully you had as much fun makng them as I did watching them.

-- Walt Sterdan

wsterdan said:

Great animations, thanks for sharing! I especially liked the animation on Rosie's hair.

Hopefully you had as much fun makng them as I did watching them.

-- Walt Sterdan

Probably even more so! Rosie's hair takes time and a lot of consideration, but is an absolute Joy to work with because of the results. I just love that hair!

Thank you all so much for the kind words. Like I say, this is only the beginning. There's a lot rendered that hasn't seen the public yet. I'm doing these animations nearly every day, so there are a lot of them. They're intended for a larger project, so I just thought it might be fun to do something with them in the meantime - and it's a lot of fun to do!

FirstBastion said:

Good animations. Well done. All the moving parts add to the animated technique.

Thank You! Tis an Honor! I love collecting your wonderful products!!! I really do!

Fun to compare these to my first test render movie made 11 years ago:

Looks like you had a lot of fun. You can sure spot the diffrence between then and now!

Thanks for sharing,

Walt Sterdan

Thanks Walt, I really did!

Much like I'm doing now, that "Just a Bit of Fun" was created from test renders to experiment with a 30 day trial of Sony Vegas. 

One thing that really stands out in my memory of that was how Sony incorporated tutorials directly into the interface. Having zero experience with movie making software, I really appeciated that. However, the music that came with the Platinum version got me into a little jam on YouTube for copyright. That one blew my mind, so I went out and got Music Maker, made by the company that now owns Vegas! What a small world!

edited May 2023

Fun! Interactions between Rosie and Dartanbeck

DT7_RT7Plat_SitLapAa224.png
    1280 x 720 - 745K
    DT7Sail_RT7Plat_RescueCarry01a099.png
    1000 x 1000 - 711K
    DT7M_WhatsThat01.png
    1000 x 1000 - 513K
    edited May 2023

Dartanbeck WIP

edited May 2023

I bought Heath Hair to try on Dart, but haven't tried it yet. The hair in the above image is Linday's dForce Long Wet Hair for G8M&F, shortened, morphed and slathered with hair spray. I like the look but not sure if I want him to have hair that similar to Rosie.

Heath Hair

I really like the Heath Hair, but I also really like the longer style, which is very similar to my look from the 90s. I have other really nice hair sets for him as well. I guess it can change throughout the series.

edited May 2023

For his torso, I superimposed a select matte from Jepe's Bodyhair Project 78 onto Sawyer (for G3M)'s torso maps, and made a special normal map using Materialize.

Then I started to employ some of Sol's skin shader techniques here and there. Like I said, he's still a work in progress. Using Guy 7, he's really quite stylized when compared to normal character shapes, like Michael, etc., although he's a human, Rosie's not. 

Almost time to start working on creatures again. That's always fun! Such a huge assortment between Genesis 1 and 8, but also a bunch of earlier generation 4 bipeds along with a host of actual stand-alone creatures. The bipeds that are made as morphs for any of the generations are nice because I can then access my entensive aniBlock library - which is getting massive!

Drago looks really cool running around using Feral motions, though this is just a frame from an Idle animation.

Drago_Ert_IdleC101a090.png
    1280 x 1280 - 973K
    edited May 2023

Zeus Outlander giving a sinister speach to his minions

While Zymn comes to offer his assistance

And Chaos Orc carries a  B I G  gun!

ZeusOutLander_TheSpeech01a333.png
    1000 x 1000 - 576K
    ZymnE_WalkCorner01a156.png
    1280 x 720 - 365K
    ChaosOrc_IdleC201a085.png
    1000 x 1000 - 649K
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,926

You deleted the attachments (or they got lost when you made the enxt post) so now the inline versions are blank.

edited May 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

You deleted the attachments (or they got lost when you made the enxt post) so now the inline versions are blank.

Strange. They're still in the little upload window....

ChaosOrc_IdleC201a086.png
    1000 x 1000 - 650K
    ZeusOutLander_TheSpeech01a344.png
    1000 x 1000 - 581K
    ZymnE_WalkCorner01a155.png
    1280 x 720 - 364K
    edited May 2023

Dartanbeck said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Strange. They're still in the little upload window....

It might be cached for you clearing your cache would probably show you the same blank images we're seeing. If you try clicking on your images, you'll probaby get the same "Page not found" warning we get as wel.

As Richard pointed out, you need to keep the little attachment copies even after you edit the post to copy/paste the URLs for larger images in your post, as you did with your others. If you delete the original attachments at the bottom of your post, that also removes them from the server so that your larger images no longer have them to link to.

-- Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited May 2023

I know. I never deleted them.

How about now?

edited May 2023

Dartanbeck said:

We see Chaos Orc, Zymn , Zeus Outlander,  we don't see fun, interactions between rosie and dartan

Post edited by FirstBastion on

FirstBastion said:

Dartanbeck said:

We see Chaos Orc, Zymn , Zeus Outlander,  we don't see fun, interactions between rosie and dartan

Oh, Those!

...and now?

Dartanbeck said:

...and now?

All visible now,  and they seem very happy together.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

looking forward to the videos heart