[Released] RSSY Character And Material Conversion Bundle Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• Once a character is converted shouldn't i be able to use Gen 9 materials on it? 

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,552

What seams?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited May 2023

I've been having a lot of fun converting characters over to G9. These are just some. They don't look exactly like the 8 versions because I've used G9 shaders and HD morphs on them, which is the main reason I got the script in the first place. Is the script perfect? No. Will it convert everything? Nope. But it converted enough that I only have to do a few manually (ie: the conversion of Ollie I did manually because the script just would not convert it). ;)

Laurie

G8s to 9.jpg
    1652 x 841 - 208K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Gabriel-CGabriel-C Posts: 2

I'm having the problem of having too many morphs that make up my character. Twice I've tried to do the custom character converter and I've made bonzai trees...

Screenshot (26).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Screenshot (27).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • carlosgimperacarlosgimpera Posts: 82
    edited May 2023

nomadraccoon said:

Aurore looks great in theory, but do all characters have these horrible SEAMS between head and chest?

And I imagine they have the same seams between middle of the head and back of the head? + shoulders etc.

Is this supposed to be a "good" conversion with this product?

All custom examples I've seen had either anatomic materials on their faces as the BODY surface is slapped on their face, either horrible seams in the places I've mentioned, or both of these problems. Some pictures here look good, but only on old daz originals with the lightweight looking texture design from G8, nothing from G8.1. Someone already mentioned they can't convert Bluejaunte stuff, this confirms what I have heard as well.

Please, do not mistake my bad lighting (shadows of light props fighting with each other on a quick setup) with a problem with the product that simply is not there. Cheers.

As for the back of the head and  shoulders - even if not shown - (after removing G9 Tear getting on the way)

Also works on Bluejaunte's characters:  My very first attempt with this tool was BJ Noemi, and I got that wrinkled output so I made that comment I'm editing right now.  But once stablished that turning down the main character dial and dialing up just head and body morph the conversion works fine, no troubles. Here is a recent conversion of BJ Imoen 8.1 using G9 BJ Giana's materials.And yes, I have some poke through going on laugh

I agree the useful thing about this product is to make use of the new G9 HD textures on older characters, but it is also cool to have the opportunity to use old /original textures trough the Material Suit if needed.

Post edited by carlosgimpera on
  • kervalakervala Posts: 184

The conversion scripts works great, great job and thanks a lot for this wonderful product :) It also corrects the Height difference between G8 and G9.

However the script to fix the eyes doesn't work as intended, the Translate X/Y/Z sliders are only setting the same values for the eyes and it also rotates the eyes. To really translate the different eyes, you have to change the X/Y/Z translate of Eyes from the G9 character (scale works for both the eyes and the character):)

When I manually converted my characters from G8F to G9, I scaled/translated the eyes, exported them to OBJ, reset all translations/scalings of the eyes, created a morph from the Eyes OBJ with my Character (or Head) morph name. So the morph was applied directly when enabling the character :)

• RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,373

HoMart said:

Renamed the "modifiers" to FBM_... and FHM_.... in the character file and renamed the morph accordingly

This is what I get. There must be something else.

Giving up on that character

You are showing hidden properties to make sure you see all morphs?  I would have to see log to see what morphs were converted. 

3DRT said:

I'm using the G8M converter on a custom character and it seems like it's applying the G8M clone to every converted morph which stacks on the G9 figure when I mix and match producing rather horrendous results. Dialing in just one is fine. Is there a way to prevent the G8M clone from being applied multiple times?

Applying the clone is part of the process to get the figures to match before transferring morphs, so every converted morph will have the G8M clone in it for males.

00qisq00 said:

So, luckily my own custom morphs have converted fine, it's just the eyes and mouth, as expected, are not aligned. I can align the eyes with the script and the mouth through parameters, I'm just not sure how to save those settings into the morph itself. I tried the ERC Freeze, save as morph asset, but I might be missing something, I haven't saved anything that way for awhile. Other than that, this is great!

The eyes are aligned as a morph on the eyes, not the figure.

00qisq00 said:

So, luckily my own custom morphs have converted fine, it's just the eyes and mouth, as expected, are not aligned. I can align the eyes with the script and the mouth through parameters, I'm just not sure how to save those settings into the morph itself. I tried the ERC Freeze, save as morph asset, but I might be missing something, I haven't saved anything that way for awhile. Other than that, this is great!

The eyes are aligned as a morph on the eyes, not the figure.

SolitarySandpiper said:

Once a character is converted shouldn't i be able to use Gen 9 materials on it? 

If you don't have the material suit on it, then yes, you can use G9 materials.

AllenArt said:

I've been having a lot of fun converting characters over to G9. These are just some. They don't look exactly like the 8 versions because I've used G9 shaders and HD morphs on them, which is the main reason I got the script in the first place. Is the script perfect? No. Will it convert everything? Nope. But it converted enough that I only have to do a few manually (ie: the conversion of Ollie I did manually because the script just would not convert it). ;)

Laurie

Thank you @AllenArt for sharing!  It is nice to see success stories. smiley

Gabriel-C said:

I'm having the problem of having too many morphs that make up my character. Twice I've tried to do the custom character converter and I've made bonzai trees...

From the manual:

The Converted Character’s Body is wrinkled.  Because of the way that morphs must be converted, a morph that on Genesis 8 appears to only touch a small part of the head can affect the whole body on Genesis 9. You need to show Currently Used parameters to show all morphs on the converted character.  Then, one by one, dial in the morphs to find the offending morph(s).  Once you find them, delete the morphs from your HD (click the Gear icon, Parameter Settings, and look at File Path for the asset to figure out where the morph is and what it is called).  You should also resave the character with the offending morph(s) dialed out (set to 0).

Alternatively, you could export the G8 morphs as one OBJ morph, get rid of all of the others, and pull that back in.  Then only one morph, touching everything would be converted.  That might work.

carlosgimpera said:

nomadraccoon said:

Aurore looks great in theory, but do all characters have these horrible SEAMS between head and chest?

And I imagine they have the same seams between middle of the head and back of the head? + shoulders etc.

All custom examples I've seen had either anatomic materials on their faces as the BODY surface is slapped on their face, either horrible seams in the places I've mentioned, or both of these problems. Some pictures here look good, but only on old daz originals with the lightweight looking texture design from G8, nothing from G8.1. Someone already mentioned they can't convert Bluejaunte stuff, this confirms what I have heard as well.

Please, do not mistake my bad lighting (shadows of light props fighting with each other on a quick setup) with a problem with the product that simply is not there. Cheers.

As for the back of the head and  shoulders - even if not shown - (after removing G9 Tear getting on the way)

Also works on Bluejaunte's characters:  My very first attempt with this tool was BJ Noemi, and I got that wrinkled output so I made that comment I'm editing right now.  But once stablished that turning down the main character dial and dialing up just head and body morph the conversion works fine, no troubles. Here is a recent conversion of BJ Imoen 8.1 using G9 BJ Giana's materials.And yes, I have some poke through going on laugh

I agree the useful thing about this product is to make use of the new G9 HD textures on older characters, but it is also cool to have the opportunity to use old /original textures trough the Material Suit if needed.

Thank you for clarifying the shadows and sharing the Blue Jaunte conversion.

I am glad the product is working for you.

I just tried to convert Gia 8 (official character preset, without HD). The converted Gia 9 is on the left and the original Gia 8 on the right on my screenshot.

Almost was correctly converted, however I noticed there are slightly deformations on the shoulders compared to the original one 

Capture d’écran (1179).png
    1920 x 1080 - 471K
    edited May 2023

kervala said:

The conversion scripts works great, great job and thanks a lot for this wonderful product :) It also corrects the Height difference between G8 and G9.

However the script to fix the eyes doesn't work as intended, the Translate X/Y/Z sliders are only setting the same values for the eyes and it also rotates the eyes. To really translate the different eyes, you have to change the X/Y/Z translate of Eyes from the G9 character (scale works for both the eyes and the character):)

When I manually converted my characters from G8F to G9, I scaled/translated the eyes, exported them to OBJ, reset all translations/scalings of the eyes, created a morph from the Eyes OBJ with my Character (or Head) morph name. So the morph was applied directly when enabling the character :)

That is what the script is doing, creating an eye morph (for the translation/scaling) of the same name for the head morph.  A little warning: if you try to convernt/move the eyes twice for a head morph, things go wrong if you don't delete the eye morph FIRST before converting again.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on
    edited May 2023

kervala said:

I just tried to convert Gia 8 (official character preset, without HD). The converted Gia 9 is on the left and the original Gia 8 on the right on my screenshot.

Almost was correctly converted, however I noticed there are slightly deformations on the shoulders compared to the original one 

Are any other morphs engaged?  I seem to remember the shoulder deformation but cannot remember what was the cause.  I would convert the standard Gia, not the HD Gia.

Post edited by RiverSoft Art on

RiverSoftArt said:

kervala said:

That is what the script is doing, creating an eye morph (for the translation/scaling) of the same name for the head morph.  A little warning: if you try to convernt/move the eyes twice for a head morph, things go wrong if you don't delete the eye morph FIRST before converting again.

Ah sorry, I understand my mistake :) I selected the Eyes prop before running the script, but when selecting the character, it's instead working :) I'm really sorry and great job :)

kervala said:

RiverSoftArt said:

kervala said:

Ah sorry, I understand my mistake :) I selected the Eyes prop before running the script, but when selecting the character, it's instead working :) I'm really sorry and great job :)

No problem!  I am glad you figured it out.

Thank you for the kind words.  We tried really hard to make this script easy to use but there are so many moving parts it is easy to make it go off the rails, which is discouraging for the users and for me blush

RiverSoftArt said:

kervala said:

Are any other morphs engaged?  I seem to remember the shoulder deformation but cannot remember what was the cause.  I would convert the standard Gia, not the HD Gia.

Thanks for your reply :) I checked and only Gia 8 Head, Gia 8 Body and Gia 8 character are at 100%, it's the Gia 8 character without HD morphs that was used :)

But since deformations are really minor, I think I could fix them directly using Blender :)

kervala said:

RiverSoftArt said:

kervala said:

Thanks for your reply :) I checked and only Gia 8 Head, Gia 8 Body and Gia 8 character are at 100%, it's the Gia 8 character without HD morphs that was used :)

But since deformations are really minor, I think I could fix them directly using Blender :)

Ok, thanks for checking.  Yes, if those are the only morphs engaged, it is just the transfer utility's fault and there is nothing the script can do.  I am glad you have blender ability to fix it how you want.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757

RiverSoftArt said:

@mfrank01328_e9ea05b22a, @HoMart, @cridgit

The Converted Character’s Body is wrinkled.  Because of the way that morphs must be converted, a morph that on Genesis 8 appears to only touch a small part of the head can affect the whole body on Genesis 9. You need to show Currently Used parameters to show all morphs on the converted character.  Then, one by one, dial in the morphs to find the offending morph(s).  Once you find them, delete the morphs from your hard drive (click the Gear icon, Parameter Settings, and look at File Path for the asset to figure out where the morph is and what it is called).  You should also resave the character with the offending morph(s) dialed out (set to 0).

Please clarify instructions:

1. Convert G8 to G9
    2. Select G9 then show hidden parameters and select currently used
    3. Dial out currently used parameters one by one until the deformation disappears -> that is the corrupted parameter
    4. Delete corrupted parameter from G9 folder on my hard drive

Is this correct?

• HoMartHoMart Posts: 480

RiverSoftArt said:

HoMart said:

Renamed the "modifiers" to FBM_... and FHM_.... in the character file and renamed the morph accordingly

This is what I get. There must be something else.

Giving up on that character

You are showing hidden properties to make sure you see all morphs?  I would have to see log to see what morphs were converted. 

Yes, I´m showing the hidden properties - or what do you think the "greyed-out" (is this an englisch word?) are.

For the log.

log_1.txt is with renaming the morphs to FBM_.. and FHM_... and renaming the "modifiers" in the character file.

log_2.txt is without renaming

txt
    txt
    log_2.txt
    txt
    txt
    log_1.txt
  • KarenKaren Posts: 81

Interesting news: I even managed to convert an old G3 character to G9 smiley First converted to G8, then to G9

Untitled.jpg
    854 x 942 - 51K
  • Having some excellent results with this product - thanks Riversoft - I know support threads can be very negative. However, still running into 'file missing' errors, even when the files are most certainly NOT missing. Here is the latest - the custom script for G8M->G9 will not utilise the eye positioning script. Says it cannot find it, despite it being exactly where expected. 

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 14.21.09.png
    1666 x 864 - 411K
  • RiverSoftArt said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

i thought it should... it doesn't on mine however!!

Good luck with it but its a refund for me.

• SolitarySandpiper said:

RiverSoftArt said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

For what it's worth, I've had no issues with putting G9 materials onto converted characters (without a material suit). I've converted about 10 characters now, some using Cayman G8 materials, some using G9 textures. (I'm not using the Riversoft material suits due to issues with geografts and missing file reports, even though they aren't missing).

• thedoctorthedoctor Posts: 195

Just got this and was pleased to add it to my other wonderful RiverSoftArt products. I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong. I set up to convert Ellithia 8 to Gen9 and the character appears with a checkmark but I get 0 characters converted when I execute. I'm sure it must be operator error. Could someone just confirm that Ellithia 8 should convert properly so I can troubleshoot this.

THANKS

• carlosgimpera said:

nomadraccoon said:

Thanks for the pics, they were really helpful.

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 468
    edited May 2023

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

RiverSoftArt said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

For what it's worth, I've had no issues with putting G9 materials onto converted characters (without a material suit). I've converted about 10 characters now, some using Cayman G8 materials, some using G9 textures. (I'm not using the Riversoft material suits due to issues with geografts and missing file reports, even though they aren't missing).

Sometimes i can't see the wood for the trees... even though i've never even looked at the material suit it appears to automatically apply it if you have it installed (you can disable it in the options tab which, by the way, has taken me till now to notice, and trust me i was looking!).

Now i know i can swap in and out the materials as expected, i might reconsider buying again.

Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on