[Released] RSSY Character And Material Conversion Bundle Genesis 8 to Genesis 9 [Commercial]

Comments

• 3DRT3DRT Posts: 61

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

I'm using the G8M converter on a custom character and it seems like it's applying the G8M clone to every converted morph which stacks on the G9 figure when I mix and match producing rather horrendous results. Dialing in just one is fine. Is there a way to prevent the G8M clone from being applied multiple times?

Applying the clone is part of the process to get the figures to match before transferring morphs, so every converted morph will have the G8M clone in it for males.

Does this mean that I can't use the converted morphs in a mix-and-match way because right now it seems if I convert a character composed of multiple body and head morphs, the result is that the G8M clone is baked into every converted morph and applied multiple times to G9 which messes up the results. For custom characters, I would need to combine all the morphs into a single character morph by exporting as obj and reimporting for it to work properly? Can't we instead just have a link to the G8M clone that is included in G9 in the output morphs?

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    edited May 2023

Ok, I've been using this for a couple days and I have one criticisim: after conversion, the converted figure has markedly exaggerated and slanted brows. I've been able to minimize this with a morph, but it's something that I DON'T get when transferring a character manually. Just thought I might mention it ;) I must also mention that a manually converted character looks MUCH better, though albeit a LOT more work. LOL

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863

I bought the Material Suit for G8M in the hope to be able to use some textures of G8M on G9, but everytime I try to make something with the male genitals, DAZ Studio crashes. I asked Sickle at DeviantArt for a step by step description how to and got following anser:

Set a custom action for your hierarchical mat script. There is a button in the scripts folder that does it for you.

Load your g9.

Load on a material suit preset with genitals on it. These are in People, not Scripts.

Select g9 or the full body suit.Navigate to the hierarchical material preset you want to use.

Select it in Smart Content or Content Library so it is highlighted.Go to the Scripts option above your top bar and click the custom action for hierarchical materials.It should apply the h. Mat to both g9 material suit snd the genitals conformed to the suit.

I did as suggested, I loaded the DEV Load G9, the Material Suit applied, the Material applied, but as soon as I touched G9 to change the shape, DAZ Studio closed, without a warning, it simply shut down, disappeared. Both, the public and the beta version. I am totally confused, why all the scripts, why all the suits as wearables and why there is no clear explanation in the PDFs how to? It works without genitals, but not with.

Are there any experiences or any tips what I did wrong?

• My adoption of Genesis 9 has been limited by the inability to bring characters I have developed (many back to V4) into G9.  This product has the tools to do just that!

I was, however, disappointed with my first result.  Naturally, I chose my favorite character to try first!I  Included here a screenshot of the G8 and G9 (G8 left, G9 right).  Clearly, the G9 face is distorted - especially the lips.  Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this just the best I can expect?  Also. the eyelashes are not textured.  I tried to apply a material file, but nothing worked.

G8 to G9.jpg
    1163 x 693 - 94K
  • EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

I feel this script needs a bit more work. I've been using Riversoft and Sickleyield's converters for a good while now and only had minor issues with extreme shapes. But for whatever reason, this script bugs out more often than not and in ways that the other scripts don't. Why I bring this up, is due to the non-script converting method giving better results.

I've attached image examples. Please note I'm NOT returning this product, I know it can grow and evolve. I just want to be frank about things.

In both cases, Oso Bear Hands was the ONLY morph used.

manual conversion bear claws.png
    534 x 533 - 73K
    script conversion bear claws.png
    521 x 541 - 81K
  • RiverSoft ArtRiverSoft Art Posts: 6,376

cridgit said:

RiverSoftArt said:

@mfrank01328_e9ea05b22a, @HoMart, @cridgit

The Converted Character’s Body is wrinkled.  Because of the way that morphs must be converted, a morph that on Genesis 8 appears to only touch a small part of the head can affect the whole body on Genesis 9. You need to show Currently Used parameters to show all morphs on the converted character.  Then, one by one, dial in the morphs to find the offending morph(s).  Once you find them, delete the morphs from your hard drive (click the Gear icon, Parameter Settings, and look at File Path for the asset to figure out where the morph is and what it is called).  You should also resave the character with the offending morph(s) dialed out (set to 0).

Please clarify instructions:

1. Convert G8 to G9
    2. Select G9 then show hidden parameters and select currently used
    3. Dial out currently used parameters one by one until the deformation disappears -> that is the corrupted parameter
    4. Delete corrupted parameter from G9 folder on my hard drive

Is this correct?

No, I recommend dialing out all current morphs and then dialing them in one by one as there may be more than one problem morph.

HoMart said:

RiverSoftArt said:

HoMart said:

Renamed the "modifiers" to FBM_... and FHM_.... in the character file and renamed the morph accordingly

This is what I get. There must be something else.

Giving up on that character

You are showing hidden properties to make sure you see all morphs?  I would have to see log to see what morphs were converted. 

Yes, I´m showing the hidden properties - or what do you think the "greyed-out" (is this an englisch word?) are.

For the log.

log_1.txt is with renaming the morphs to FBM_.. and FHM_... and renaming the "modifiers" in the character file.

log_2.txt is without renaming

Ok, both logs show that the script did not figure out if they were head or body morphs:

2023-05-22 14:47:47.045 [DEBUG] :: Head Morphs: 
    2023-05-22 14:47:47.045 [DEBUG] :: Body Morphs: 
    2023-05-22 14:47:47.045 [DEBUG] :: Other Morphs: BABI HEAD,BABI BODY

Neither name of the morph starts with FHM or FBM, they start with BABI.  The *name* must start with FHM.

Karen said:

Interesting news: I even managed to convert an old G3 character to G9 smiley First converted to G8, then to G9

Thanks for sharing!

w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

Having some excellent results with this product - thanks Riversoft - I know support threads can be very negative. However, still running into 'file missing' errors, even when the files are most certainly NOT missing. Here is the latest - the custom script for G8M->G9 will not utilise the eye positioning script. Says it cannot find it, despite it being exactly where expected. 

That is frustrating.  It is a simple function.  Macs make my life difficult smiley  Is that directory also where the conversion scripts are or did you move them?  Should the path have a /Users or Users?

SolitarySandpiper said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

RiverSoftArt said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

Once a character is converted shouldn't i be able to use Gen 9 materials on it? 

If you don't have the material suit on it, then yes, you can use G9 materials.

i thought it should... it doesn't on mine however!!

Good luck with it but its a refund for me.

For what it's worth, I've had no issues with putting G9 materials onto converted characters (without a material suit). I've converted about 10 characters now, some using Cayman G8 materials, some using G9 textures. (I'm not using the Riversoft material suits due to issues with geografts and missing file reports, even though they aren't missing).

Sometimes i can't see the wood for the trees... even though i've never even looked at the material suit it appears to automatically apply it if you have it installed (you can disable it in the options tab which, by the way, has taken me till now to notice, and trust me i was looking!).

Now i know i can swap in and out the materials as expected, i might reconsider buying again.

Sorry you had so much trouble.  In the options for the CC, there is an option for whether to create the character with mat suit or not.  It is checked (use mat suit) by default.

thedoctor said:

Just got this and was pleased to add it to my other wonderful RiverSoftArt products. I'm not sure what I may be doing wrong. I set up to convert Ellithia 8 to Gen9 and the character appears with a checkmark but I get 0 characters converted when I execute. I'm sure it must be operator error. Could someone just confirm that Ellithia 8 should convert properly so I can troubleshoot this.

THANKS

Did you try selecting Ellithia 8 in the dialog and clicking Force Convert Item(s)?  Could you post the Daz log for the execution?

3DRT said:

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

I'm using the G8M converter on a custom character and it seems like it's applying the G8M clone to every converted morph which stacks on the G9 figure when I mix and match producing rather horrendous results. Dialing in just one is fine. Is there a way to prevent the G8M clone from being applied multiple times?

Applying the clone is part of the process to get the figures to match before transferring morphs, so every converted morph will have the G8M clone in it for males.

Does this mean that I can't use the converted morphs in a mix-and-match way because right now it seems if I convert a character composed of multiple body and head morphs, the result is that the G8M clone is baked into every converted morph and applied multiple times to G9 which messes up the results. For custom characters, I would need to combine all the morphs into a single character morph by exporting as obj and reimporting for it to work properly? Can't we instead just have a link to the G8M clone that is included in G9 in the output morphs?

You should be able to use some converted morphs in a mix-and-match way, but they do affect the whole body.  I am not sure what you mean by a link to the clone.  The G8M clone is provided by Daz in /data/Daz 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/Daz 3D/Clones/CloneGenesis8Male.dsf

AllenArt said:

Ok, I've been using this for a couple days and I have one criticisim: after conversion, the converted figure has markedly exaggerated and slanted brows. I've been able to minimize this with a morph, but it's something that I DON'T get when transferring a character manually. Just thought I might mention it ;) I must also mention that a manually converted character looks MUCH better, though albeit a LOT more work. LOL

Laurie

I haven't noticed any exaggerated or slanted brows.  I wonder if the script is pulling something else in or your system to mess stuff up?

jepegraphics said:

I bought the Material Suit for G8M in the hope to be able to use some textures of G8M on G9, but everytime I try to make something with the male genitals, DAZ Studio crashes. I asked Sickle at DeviantArt for a step by step description how to and got following anser:

Set a custom action for your hierarchical mat script. There is a button in the scripts folder that does it for you.

Load your g9.

Load on a material suit preset with genitals on it. These are in People, not Scripts.

Select g9 or the full body suit.Navigate to the hierarchical material preset you want to use.

Select it in Smart Content or Content Library so it is highlighted.Go to the Scripts option above your top bar and click the custom action for hierarchical materials.It should apply the h. Mat to both g9 material suit snd the genitals conformed to the suit.

I did as suggested, I loaded the DEV Load G9, the Material Suit applied, the Material applied, but as soon as I touched G9 to change the shape, DAZ Studio closed, without a warning, it simply shut down, disappeared. Both, the public and the beta version. I am totally confused, why all the scripts, why all the suits as wearables and why there is no clear explanation in the PDFs how to? It works without genitals, but not with.

That is strange.  I guess the first thing to figure out is if it is the Apply Hmap script or the mat suits themselves.  If you add the mat suit with genitals and just try to change shape, any crashes?  If you add the mat suit without genitals, apply Hmap, and THEN add genitals mat suit, any crashes?

paul_42391e8ba7 said:

My adoption of Genesis 9 has been limited by the inability to bring characters I have developed (many back to V4) into G9.  This product has the tools to do just that!

I was, however, disappointed with my first result.  Naturally, I chose my favorite character to try first!I  Included here a screenshot of the G8 and G9 (G8 left, G9 right).  Clearly, the G9 face is distorted - especially the lips.  Is there something I am doing wrong, or is this just the best I can expect?  Also. the eyelashes are not textured.  I tried to apply a material file, but nothing worked.

Did you convert with mat suit?  Is this a conversion of a conversion?  Did the script correctly identify it is a head morph (FHM)?

Eboshijaana said:

I feel this script needs a bit more work. I've been using Riversoft and Sickleyield's converters for a good while now and only had minor issues with extreme shapes. But for whatever reason, this script bugs out more often than not and in ways that the other scripts don't. Why I bring this up, is due to the non-script converting method giving better results.

I've attached image examples. Please note I'm NOT returning this product, I know it can grow and evolve. I just want to be frank about things.

This script was the hardest one I have ever done for DS.  G9 changed too much from G8 and caused endless problems.  What you are showing though is the transfer part, which is pure DS.  I am confused why they should be so different.

BTW, in data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSG8G9CharacterConstants.dsa, there is a variable:

// "LOAD CHARACTER", "MORPH LIST", "REMOVE EYEMORPHS", "SETUP CLONE", "TRANSFER MORPHS", "CONVERT MORPHS"
    // "CONVERT MORPHS AND ERC FREEZE", "CHARACTER PROPERTY", "MORPHS SAVED", "MATERIALS COPIED"
    var BREAK_POINT             = ""; 

If you edit the file in a text editor and put one of the strings in BREAK_POINT, the script will stop during conversion, you can see what it did until that point.  For example,

var BREAK_POINT             = "SETUP CLONE"; 

The script will stop during conversion after setting up the clone.  You could see what the script is doing and it might even help in a manual process.

• jepegraphicsjepegraphics Posts: 863
    edited May 2023

RiverSoftArt said:

jepegraphics said:

Load your g9.

That is strange.  I guess the first thing to figure out is if it is the Apply Hmap script or the mat suits themselves.  If you add the mat suit with genitals and just try to change shape, any crashes?  If you add the mat suit without genitals, apply Hmap, and THEN add genitals mat suit, any crashes?

Thank you for the reply, I assume the Hmat scrip works fine, also the Suit applies fine, but as soon as I touch G9 to change the shape, DAZ Studio crashes. When I apply the Suit without gens, all works fine, the Hmat applies,and I can change the shape of G9. Now only it is without gens - when I then try to add the G8 Anat Element Masc Suit, Studio crashes without warning and without any error message, it simply closes. It is frustrating. All gens versions don't work on my machine, the G8F/M with Masc Gens, the G8.1 F/M with Masc gens and also the single Masc gens suits. Funny that I seem to be th eonly one yet with that problem - odd with all the buyers! surprise

Post edited by jepegraphics on
  • kervalakervala Posts: 184

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

You should be able to use some converted morphs in a mix-and-match way, but they do affect the whole body.  I am not sure what you mean by a link to the clone.  The G8M clone is provided by Daz in /data/Daz 3D/Genesis 9/Base/Morphs/Daz 3D/Clones/CloneGenesis8Male.dsf

I think he's talking about new G8 converted characters depending on your "Actor/Full Body/People/Feminine/Genesis 8 Female Body" that is a G8F clone, but with the same height as G9 :) We currently can't use directly official G8 clones for G9 because they don't have a correct rigging (even though we can do "Adjust Rigging to Shape..."), but yours is 100% functional.

If new converted characters were both depending on it, we'll be able to mix them because the morph would represent only the differences from G8F, so if we want to mix several G8F characters, we would have to enable "Genesis 8 Female Body" at 100% and all other characters at their respective proportions.

• RiverSoftArt said:

Having some excellent results with this product - thanks Riversoft - I know support threads can be very negative. However, still running into 'file missing' errors, even when the files are most certainly NOT missing. Here is the latest - the custom script for G8M->G9 will not utilise the eye positioning script. Says it cannot find it, despite it being exactly where expected. 

That is frustrating.  It is a simple function.  Macs make my life difficult smiley  Is that directory also where the conversion scripts are or did you move them?  Should the path have a /Users or Users?

I've moved nothing. Everything remains where it was placed by DIM, using the automated install. Despite being a programmer for 40 years, I've done very little programming for macos, and none recently, but I believe it should be '/Users' - otherwise it would be a relative directory reference, not from the root. I do occasionally run into errors on mac that (apparently) don't exist on Windows. Usually I can get around these by renaming files, for example to capitalise a letter or two, but this appears more fundamental. A missing '/' would explain a lot.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,151

RiverSoftArt said:

I've moved nothing. Everything remains where it was placed by DIM, using the automated install. Despite being a programmer for 40 years, I've done very little programming for macos, and none recently, but I believe it should be '/Users' - otherwise it would be a relative directory reference, not from the root. I do occasionally run into errors on mac that (apparently) don't exist on Windows. Usually I can get around these by renaming files, for example to capitalise a letter or two, but this appears more fundamental. A missing '/' would explain a lot.

Is the OS set to use case-sensitive names on that volume?

• There have been a lot of issues that I and others have raised with this product over the last few days, which is a bit like googling 'Meile washing machine fault' - you are going to find something no matter how great the product. So I wanted to reset the balance a little. Is this product perfect? No, it has some quirks, particularly on macos, where file naming and references appears to be an issue and with ERC connected dials, which interact in odd ways not known on the original. But with a little care and persistance, you can get excellent results. Some suggestions: a) run the material stuff seperately, you'll have more control that way. b) Dial out the character morph, and dial in seperately the head and body morphs. These seem to interfere otherwise. c) avoid HD characters if you have the non-HD equivalent, or dial out the HD morphs following conversion. d) expect to do some manual fine tuning here and there on occasions. I'm enormously grateful to Sickleyield and Riversoft for this product and all there other wonderful products - they save me a fortune and allow me to convert custom characters across Genesis revisions (and indeed from V4). Thank you. Attached - custom characters built from a composite of several commercial products. Genesis 8.1 on left, 9 on right. I'm using Cayman Studio for the materials. I have had some successes with the material suit route, I'm parking that for now.

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.32.26.png
    2216 x 1668 - 4M
    Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.37.38.png
    2200 x 1616 - 2M
  • Richard Haseltine said:

RiverSoftArt said:

I don't recall which way around it is, but I know that it works differently in that regard to Windows. So file names that Windows will find correctly, macos will not. Changing the case on file names can fix that on occasions. Forgive my poor memory, this doesn't crop up very often, but I think it is generally due to file names in an app or script not matching the file name on disk in terms of case. In this particular case, however, the case matches exactly. Riversoft has noticed that the initial '/' is missing in the script, i.e. 'Users' instead of '/Users', which may be the cause of the error - obviously this would be specific to macos, as '/Users' doesn't exist on Windows. Not sure where the script picks it up from, or whether it is hard wired into the script.

• w_r_brook_ec9f3e956e said:

RiverSoftArt said:

Here are my mapped directories in Studio, in case that's of use. 

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 14.54.31.png
    940 x 336 - 91K
  • BAM! RendersBAM! Renders Posts: 114

So when I use this converter to convert a custom OC, it makes gen 9 explode.  Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 445

RiverSoftArt said:

Eboshijaana said:

This script was the hardest one I have ever done for DS.  G9 changed too much from G8 and caused endless problems.  What you are showing though is the transfer part, which is pure DS.  I am confused why they should be so different.

BTW, in data/RiverSoft Art/Common/RSG8G9CharacterConstants.dsa, there is a variable:

// "LOAD CHARACTER", "MORPH LIST", "REMOVE EYEMORPHS", "SETUP CLONE", "TRANSFER MORPHS", "CONVERT MORPHS"
    // "CONVERT MORPHS AND ERC FREEZE", "CHARACTER PROPERTY", "MORPHS SAVED", "MATERIALS COPIED"
    var BREAK_POINT             = ""; 

If you edit the file in a text editor and put one of the strings in BREAK_POINT, the script will stop during conversion, you can see what it did until that point.  For example,

var BREAK_POINT             = "SETUP CLONE"; 

The script will stop during conversion after setting up the clone.  You could see what the script is doing and it might even help in a manual process.

First of all, there is no CharacterConstraints, there however IS Constants that has the right code.

CONVERT MORPHS is where the stuff starts looking awful, it first looks just fine, but then when I turn the morph on from the parameters it is messed up. It also randomly affects the whole body, something the manual conversion doesn't do.

Once more, I do not blame you for this, just reporting what I can.

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38

Are the converted figures supposed to be classified as Sets not Actors?

Converted as a Set.jpg
    296 x 346 - 36K
  • Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,569

Richard Haseltine said:

RiverSoftArt said:

I don't recall which way around it is, but I know that it works differently in that regard to Windows. So file names that Windows will find correctly, macos will not. Changing the case on file names can fix that on occasions. Forgive my poor memory, this doesn't crop up very often, but I think it is generally due to file names in an app or script not matching the file name on disk in terms of case. In this particular case, however, the case matches exactly. Riversoft has noticed that the initial '/' is missing in the script, i.e. 'Users' instead of '/Users', which may be the cause of the error - obviously this would be specific to macos, as '/Users' doesn't exist on Windows. Not sure where the script picks it up from, or whether it is hard wired into the script.

If you have just started yourmac and went through the initial setup, you are running the file system in case INsensitive mode. This is the default out-of-the-box setup. And yes, the leading forward slash in the file path is essential. Like Windows, MacOS has a set of "virtual" file paths, like "Desktop", "Downloads", "Users",... that can be used as a shortcut. /Users will actaully refer to /Volumens/Macintosh HD/Users.

I have my Daz library on a network drive, and the path is also shown correctly, apart from the missing leading slash. 

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629

kervala said:

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

RiverSoftArt said:

3DRT said:

I think he's talking about new G8 converted characters depending on your "Actor/Full Body/People/Feminine/Genesis 8 Female Body" that is a G8F clone, but with the same height as G9 :) We currently can't use directly official G8 clones for G9 because they don't have a correct rigging (even though we can do "Adjust Rigging to Shape..."), but yours is 100% functional.

If new converted characters were both depending on it, we'll be able to mix them because the morph would represent only the differences from G8F, so if we want to mix several G8F characters, we would have to enable "Genesis 8 Female Body" at 100% and all other characters at their respective proportions.

Okay, so. When we work on converters, we have to choose.

We can dial in the clone when we convert the morph, so that it looks just like it looked on G8. This is what we did.

OR we can copy the morph directly without using the import/export on the clone itself. We did not do this, because the result is that you would get the morph's effect versus G9 base, and it wouldn't look masc or fem as it did on G8F or G8M.

The result is that yes, each morph that is copied is being combined with the G8 head or body clone, so that it will look like it looked on G8.

jepegraphics said:

RiverSoftArt said:

jepegraphics said:

Load your g9.

Thank you for the reply, I assume the Hmat scrip works fine, also the Suit applies fine, but as soon as I touch G9 to change the shape, DAZ Studio crashes. When I apply the Suit without gens, all works fine, the Hmat applies,and I can change the shape of G9. Now only it is without gens - when I then try to add the G8 Anat Element Masc Suit, Studio crashes without warning and without any error message, it simply closes. It is frustrating. All gens versions don't work on my machine, the G8F/M with Masc Gens, the G8.1 F/M with Masc gens and also the single Masc gens suits. Funny that I seem to be th eonly one yet with that problem - odd with all the buyers! surprise

Well, it didn't happen for us, and it didn't happen in testing in QA either (sorry to hear from me again, lol, Riversoft sent me an email because he's also stumped). Can you tell me what character you were converting so maybe I can try it? I'd really like to help if I can. Your great male products are part of what made me want to be a vendor in the first place!

What is your version of Daz Studio, also? We developed it on a very recent 4.21 build, but it was the public one, not a beta or anything like that.

I apologize on the other questions. Riversoft normally handles support threads because he is the one who writes the scripts in our collaborations, and a lot of questions/issues have to do with how the script works and is used.

It still really sounds like several of the non-mac-os questions relate directly to morphs not being named fbm or fhm (named, not labeled) and thus not identified by the script (causing crumpling/explosions). Renaming your OC morphs to have fbm in the name for body morphs or fhm in the name for head morphs in your Parameters tab can fix this.