UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,930

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am still using the old Ultrascenery and bought the Australian bundle for it (not the new one for 2 obviously) the other day

it's been over 24 hours building a scene

is this normal?

I am not going to give it another whole day that's for sure and doubt I can even render it anyway, not returning it as can use the assets elsewhere and didn't cost much

sorry, I really have a love hate relationship with DAZ studio

No, that is not normal. I don't think it should ever take even half and hour. Is it stuck or still progressing, but slowly?
    Do you own the Accelerator plugin for the original UltraScenery? That makes building much faster, but your money would be better spent on UltraScenery2, which is faster and has many more features, and can use all your existing "Classic" UltraScenery content.

• Must admit I have a new-ish machine (2yo) and the accelerator, and the Australian biome takes in the order of 75 seconds to create. Without the accelerator, on a slower 24gb machine from 2014, it took 15-17 minutes. Regards, Richard.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,051
    edited September 11

barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I am still using the old Ultrascenery and bought the Australian bundle for it (not the new one for 2 obviously) the other day

is this normal?

I am not going to give it another whole day that's for sure and doubt I can even render it anyway, not returning it as can use the assets elsewhere and didn't cost much

No, that is not normal. I don't think it should ever take even half and hour. Is it stuck or still progressing, but slowly?
    Do you own the Accelerator plugin for the original UltraScenery? That makes building much faster, but your money would be better spent on UltraScenery2, which is faster and has many more features, and can use all your existing "Classic" UltraScenery content.

it is slowly advancing, I used my own height map and chose the outer trees option and a bridge

no I don't have accellerator

not buying Ultrascenery2 right now, it took me long enough to buy this (the Australian Biome, already have has Ultrascenery for a couple years hardly used it) , DAZ studio NOT my prefered software for Biomes

I will use the plants in Unreal Engine or Twinmotion with simple wind shaders on the leaves instead, much less demanding and I can brush and scatter them where I like 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

is this normal?

it is slowly advancing, I used my own height map and chose the outer trees option and a bridge

no I don't have accellerator

not buying Ultrascenery2 right now, it took me long enough to buy this (the Australian Biome, already have has Ultrascenery for a couple years hardly used it) , DAZ studio NOT my prefered software for Biomes

I will use the plants in Unreal Engine or Twinmotion with simple wind shaders on the leaves instead, much less demanding and I can brush and scatter them where I like 

I wonder if your computer is running out of RAM and using virtual memory. I can't imagine why else it could be that slow. That is unusable.

edited September 11

barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

snip

I wonder if your computer is running out of RAM and using virtual memory. I can't imagine why else it could be that slow. That is unusable.

nah, just loaded up Twinmotion and rendered the Spell Workshop in it no worries while D|S is plodding along

I know Octane has conflicts with Ultrascenery and while I don't have the D|S plugin installed I do indeed have the standalone and Carrara plugin, so maybe that's it

Octane is used by me a lot in Carrara so it isn't going anywhere and cost me near a grand all up

Ultrascenery is not using much so can plod a bit longer before I hit cancel

I think the scene just ended up crazy big, I must have made bad choices, I did not touch any parameters, those all default load

Capture.PNG
    393 x 917 - 49K

oh and latest public build of D|S, maybe that's the issue

WendyLuvsCatz said:

oh and latest public build of D|S, maybe that's the issue

I'm using the latest Public Build with USC2 and have no problems. I'll try USC without acceleator tomorrow and see what happens.

edited September 11

will I lose everything if I hit cancel or just what hasn't been built so far?

I may try a very simple scene too but a victim of sunk cost fallacy after 24+ hours

WendyLuvsCatz said:

will I lose everything if I hit cancel or just what hasn't been built so far?

I may try a very simple scene too but a victim of sunk cost fallacy after 24+ hours

You will lose all build progress, I believe. If it finished building, you should be able to save the scene and render it later.

• drucdruc Posts: 401
    edited September 11

WendyLuvsCatz, "over 24 hours building a scene" would indicate there is an issue. USC1 wont work in 3DL (I've tried). It also doesn't like an Iray preview. Do you have the excelerator? There are also some comments earlier about an upgrade to Studio that is having an effect on some users.

To do an iray "preview" in USC1, I would start a render, let it run until the image clear up a little so I could see were things where, then cancel it (not saved unless I wanted it for reference)

Post edited by druc on
    edited September 11

I always load stuff in bounding box view

it has stopped building now but DAZ studio is not responding but it hasn't turned white so hoping if I don't click on it, it will respond eventually, I just gingerly mouse over it sometimes to check if the pointer is still spinning or I have an arrow, tomorrow after my sleep if it's still in limbo I will kill it and ignore UltraScenery another 2 years devil

the foliage is still usefull with Ultrascatter pro which works pretty well

my PC only a Ryzen 3, it's pretty pathetic and DAZ studio itself has always honestly not been an easy program for me to use in general except to render animated characters as png series for compositing, it shines at that

I am not blaming UltraScenery itself 

also from what I can see from the bounding lines on my still not responding scene, I think my height map might be too steep for it

just because it works well in Carrara doesn't mean it will in Ultrascenery

this might look like a scene from avatar going by that!!!

Heightmap.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 801K
    Capture.PNG
    1317 x 700 - 130K

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I always load stuff in bounding box view

it has stopped building now but DAZ studio is not responding but it hasn't turned white so hoping if I don't click on it, it will respond eventually, I just gingerly mouse over it sometimes to check if the pointer is still spinning or I have an arrow, tomorrow after my sleep if it's still in limbo I will kill it and ignore UltraScenery another 2 years devil

the foliage is still usefull with Ultrascatter pro which works pretty well

my PC only a Ryzen 3, it's pretty pathetic and DAZ studio itself has always honestly not been an easy program for me to use in general except to render animated characters as png series for compositing, it shines at that

I am not blaming UltraScenery itself 

also from what I can see from the bounding lines on my still not responding scene, I think my height map might be too steep for it

just because it works well in Carrara doesn't mean it will in Ultrascenery

this might look like a scene from avatar going by that!!!

I've removed the Accelerator from my plugins folder and I tried a diamond checker board height map.I used  Australia 1 and Bridge 1. I selected Extended Forest and did not limit the build to a specific camera. The build took 6 minutes 38.64 seconds.

Your height map looks fine to me. It shouldn't be too high unless you also increased the maximum altitude. I've used very contrasty height maps with increased altitude successfully in the past, with no problem, other than the result looked pretty unrealistic because of the abrupt terrain changes.

I didn't select to limit the build to a specific camera, because I wanted to stress it in this test. In the future, if you choose to try again, you might try using that option.

When first trying UltraScenery2, I had a conflict with LAMH plugin, which caused the UltraScenery2 plugin to be very slow. I don't know if LAMH could affect UltraScenery or not, because I have removed LAMH. Back when I had LAMH, I did not notice any problem with UltraScenery at the time, so that is probably not the issue. I just thought I'd mention it.

UltraScenery no Accellerator Australia 1 Bridge 1 Extended Forest.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Diamonds Black white gray 256 blur 2.png
    256 x 256 - 10K

@WendyLuvsCatz if Daz Studio ever responds, save your scene immediately. Don't start rendering, in case Daz crashes and you lose the build effort entirely.

@WendyLuvsCatz As a second test, I used your height map, Stone Bridge 4 and Australia 2, with extended forest and not restricting the build to a specific camera. The build took 7 minutes and 0.25 seconds (no Accelerator). I don't know what is making yours so slow. Daz Studio can easily get real laggy after running, so you could try restarting your computer and restarting Daz Studio before you try again, to give it the best chance.

Your height map will probably look different in UltraScenery than in Carrara. UltraScenery, by default, applies some noise to the height map, and the selected feature also modifies it (carves out the river, for example). The two programs probably also interpret the default height differently.

If you tell me which specific ecology and which feature you used, I will try that specific combination. I can try to post the scene file, if it is not too big, and you can see if you can render it.

UltraScenery no Accellerator Australia 2 Stone Bridge 4 Extended Forest.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M

@WendyLuvsCatz I just noticed your Daz Studio interface screen shot it says 4.22 Pro, not 4.22 Pro Public Build. I thought you said you were using the latest Public Build. Other people have reported issues with the General Release version. Maybe that is your problem here.

barbult said:

@WendyLuvsCatz I just noticed your Daz Studio interface screen shot it says 4.22 Pro, not 4.22 Pro Public Build. I thought you said you were using the latest Public Build. Other people have reported issues with the General Release version. Maybe that is your problem here.

well that's odd as my public build has a distinctly different choice of interface colours to the release one, however I am wondering if my desktop shortcuts are labled wrong because when I checked the logfile it hadn't been accessed since February however my rrelease was today, it would explain some oddness I had woth the FBX exporter recently 

also, guess what, it's still building 

the window was just obscured, it's on the leaf litter now so nearing completion 

and yes, I use LAMH

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,789
    edited September 11

so there are 3 DS builds? Pro.  Public build, and beta? I just watch what pops up on DIM and install.  I'm using Pro as well, but have slow renders not slow scenery builds. I am using accelaorator though on USC1

Post edited by daveso on
  • daveso said:

so there are 3 DS builds? Pro.  Public build, and beta? I just watch what pops up on DIM and install.  I'm using Pro as well, but have slow renders not slow scenery builds. I am using accelaorator though on USC1

Two. Public build is the beta.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,789

butterflyfish said:

daveso said:

Two. Public build is the beta.

ah. thanks :) 

just a thumbnail, am doing a 8Kx4K render

but the water and whatever that thing is above

(looks like a terrain and cannot find or select in in scene outliner)

are high above ( I moved the water)

yes it took 48 hours to build , however renders fairly easily except for the unfindable 2nd sky terrain

will try and share more  build parameter details and scene later, right now rendering with dome invisible so I can erase that top terrain  in Gimp and add a HDR sky in post

also Microsux wants to do an update and is nagging me

aus.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 926K

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10230959234878361

final edited result

cannot upload a zip of my scene sadly, get No File data could be found in your post

Well, it does look great in the end. I didn't know you were using a 360 camera. I wonder if that had an impact. It would be interesting to know how it behaves in the latest beta, but I can understand if you don't want to try again.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104

The black at the top looks like the underside of a terrain. Try raising the camera.

edited September 12

barbult said:

Well, it does look great in the end. I didn't know you were using a 360 camera. I wonder if that had an impact. It would be interesting to know how it behaves in the latest beta, but I can understand if you don't want to try again.

I added the camera afterwards

I did not have a camera 

I solved the beta/release mixup, my shortcuts got swapped on my desktop at some oint

Fishtales said:

The black at the top looks like the underside of a terrain. Try raising the camera.

it does look like that but it is nowhere in the scene hierachy and only appears in render 

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Fishtales said:

it does look like that but it is nowhere in the scene hierachy and only appears in render 

It is strange.

edited September 12

barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Fishtales said:

It is strange.

well I can guess what it is from rendering a far off shot, a pile of instanced terrains that should be under the outer trees 

stack of terrains.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Fishtales said:

It is strange.

well I can guess what it is from rendering a far off shot, a pile of instanced terrains that should be under the outer trees 

ultraScenery doesn't put any terrains under the extended forest trees. They float in mid air. You have to guess again. It is a mystery. I have no clue.

they look like terrains, still trying to find them and yes, in Gimp I had to add a HDR file with a ground because the outer trees float, I also duplicated and flipped my render to pad it out

Yes, that looks like copies and copies and copies of the whole terrain with all the plants on each one. Bizarre! I wonder if your Octane installation is the problem. It is known to interfere, but I don't know if that strange pile of terrains is what it causes. I have never had it.