59th Bryce Contest ( Caustics )

Intro:
I have only recently realized. That all this time, the purpose of these contests, was to test your Bryce skills. And here I am, just putting names into a box. The next contest was supposed to be Pirates vs Crabs, but instead, how about we tackle something that really highlights our Bryce abilities. Coming off the last contest, I want to continue the theme of showcasing why Bryce is still a fun program to use. 

Bryce Contest #59

Theme:    a u s t i c s  

Description:  

Definition : In optics, a caustic or caustic network is the envelope of light rays which have been reflected or refracted by a curved surface or object, or the projection of that envelope of rays on another surface.

This time, I won't bore you with my rambling antics. The original theme on the contest list was just pirates vs crabs, but that seemed a bit too easy. So as a challenge, the idea this time was use things that were notoriously hard to render.  Im sure alot of people who are familiar with Bryce, are able to make this work. If you cannot, don't fret, we don't have a judge panel. Since voting is done by fellow artists and peers, just incorporating 1 of these elements should be enough. That being said, if your looking for a challenge, lets see what you can come up with. As per usual, to get the ball rolling. Some ideas include water cups, pools, reflective bowls, beaches,  light shows,  etc. etc.  This will also serve as a challenge for me, since ed3d in a previous contest post asked for some help with learning Bryce. So I do wish to make some tutorials regrading the creation of these elements. Also I will be going on a trip sometime in September, so I will be pushing the contest end date til Sep-30th. I hope no one minds. Good luck to everyone smiley

Rules

• All renders must be new renders.

• You can enter up to 3 renders.

• You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

• Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

• Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

• Please submit your works before the deadline

judging is done by a voting poll, which all members will be allowed to vote.

Challenge ends September 30th, 2023  (Extra time will be given if needed)

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist place $30     2nd place $20     3rd place $15

In addition DAZ 3D Store Credit will be given to the people whose renders are selected as the Honorable mentions,
$10 for each of 3 honorable mentions

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by a poll which will be set up at closure of the challenge.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose

(Props to anyone who actually creates a coconut buddy. you will get my vote!)

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003
    edited July 2023

Wow a fantastic theme and the animation, like all the other challenges, is awesome, where to you find such cool stuff. I look forward to your tutorials.

A big thank you for setting up the challenges and none of us will have any problems if you change the dates to fit into your schedule. Your time and effort is appreciated by all of us.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

I agree with Mermaid... this Animation is fantastic,  but, this theme is not easy.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,103

I agree with the others,fantastic animation, original (but difficult) theme !

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,128

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Fantastic technical challenge! The animation is incredible, it's beyond impressive if it is Bryce rendered. My experience has been that caustic effects often require clever workarounds due to the lack of full physics simulation in Bryce. I can't wait to see how people tackle this. Fun fun!

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,757

Wow, that's a challenge, but fun. And great animation indeed.

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398
    edited December 2023

This entry has been pulled by the creator

Post edited by S Ray on

S Ray a wonderful start to the challenge.

Great entry S Ray.

S Ray : great start of the challenge.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,757

S Ray, really beautiful!

• NGartplayNGartplay Posts: 2,839

Great job S Ray!  I completely forgot about this challenge.  I'm off on Sunday for an Alaskan cruise and that's on my mind.

edited August 2023

I came up with this as my 1st entry, to avoid an underwater scene.  Hope it meets the theme.

I used the setup from a previous render, and the caustic pattern provided in the Beneath the Waves product. For the 1st I used the fog cube from Inclement Weather. The tree is a freebie from xFrog, there are two versions, I like both and don’t know which to use as my entry, suggestions will be appreciated.

The Bonsai Tree

caustic1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 369K
    thebonsai-caustics1a.jpg
    800 x 800 - 474K

mermaid - though I like the first a tad more but I think the second fits the theme better.

mermaid : wonderful images, I also prefer the first one, but Horo is right about fitting the theme.

My first entry : Frosted caustic corrosion (hope this one fits the theme), according to google caustic means corrosive, so !

A sphere and a terrain with a cloud material added pipes (free from the net),the mechanical walker(sharecg),HDRI : mossy forest.

adbc - great, rather unexpected entry. However, I also checked the word "caustic" and found that synonimes are "corrosive", "erosive", "mordant", "vitrolic". Your entry definitely fits the theme.

Horo : thank you.

mermaid, agree with Horo and adbc.  The first is so pretty and calm but the second one is dynamic and really brings the caustic home.

adbc, your image has flowing feel to it.  Fits the theme.

• Yellow PenYellow Pen Posts: 918

SRay - beautiful entry.

Mermaid - I love both.... well done.

adbc - hey, this is beautiful too... and the colors in the background gives a wonderful contrast to the object.

(Horo, I did not know that caustic has these other meanings... thanks for it.  I think I have some Ideas then.)

NGartplay, Yellow Pen : thank you.

Thanks Horo, Adbc, NGartplay and Yellow Pen for your nice comments 

Adbc  - a beautifully done entry I also like the contrast of the object against the background, perfect material on the object 

edited August 2023

My first entry

The Bonsai Tree 

Edited: I deleted the image to avoid confusion. My entry is in the next page.

mermaid : thank you.

Good choice mermaid.

Horo said:

adbc - great, rather unexpected entry. However, I also checked the word "caustic" and found that synonimes are "corrosive", "erosive", "mordant", "vitrolic". Your entry definitely fits the theme.

I to did a Google search for caustic & was really surprised at the results.

caustic definition: 1. able to burn or corrode organic tissue by chemical action.  2. sarcastic in a scathing and bitter way.

caustic substance: Acids (caustics) Caustics are chemicals that burn or corrode people's skin, eyes, and mucus membranes (lining of the nose, mouth, throat, and lungs) on contact.

caustic light: Most artists think of caustics as the light that gets focused through glass or water. But, for the people in computer graphics: A caustic is any lighting contribution that goes from light source to specular (reflective or refractive), to diffuse surface, to eye (or camera).

Wow S Ray.  Lots of intretations. Good. Not sure that I want to do water caustics.

Thanks NGartplay 

S Ray : thanks for the detailed explanation.

mermaid : I agree with NGartplay.

Adbc thanks

edited December 2023

This entry has been pulled by the creator.

Post edited by S Ray on